Thread: ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All (Decent Internet Connection Recommended).
Official Thread
So I did a quick run through the tutorial and here are some graphics impressions:

1) IMO this game is one of the best art directed games I've ever seen. I can only think of a handful of games that have this kind of skill (R&C is one but it shoots for 3D animation). I MUST buy the physical artbook. This alone could make it win Best Looking Game of 2022.

2) FPS stuttering: it's caused by their streaming system when loading in sections of the game into their memory pool. Mine is very brief but I have 64G of RAM and using a 3090 (24G of VRAM). I suspect there is some optimization that can be done there. It's more than likely a single threaded process so I'd presume for PCs they could expand their cache a little further to keep more of the game in local RAM.

3) Running this game at native 4k is an absolute MUST! It brings every single detail out. The videos destroy the visual showcase here as people are recording the game in non-HDR mode where things are drastically desaturated and just wrong.

4) Ambient Occlusion is in and looks good enough. No need for RT AO here.

5) Please set your HDR settings to a value lower than the middle. The game is naturally bright and the color correction isn't where it's supposed to be on default. This will depend on your TV, but I set mine a few notches lower and results are crisp, saturated and detailed.

6) Texture size is good. I can see the details of the normal maps and foliage is also clear and crisp

7) MORE shadows!!!! If this game had shadow casting lights for every light source, it would go right up the top of my list as the best looking game this generation. The artwork is THAT good.

There's a boss in a cave? I must have missed that. Horse guy can absolutely fuck off, agreed.
It really depends on how you play. I ran down path thinking damn this shit is too easy and ran into the horn guy. His reinforcements wrecked me so I went left went I got to the trees and found a cave. 100% sure the boss is a side boss because I bet people can completely miss him.

I have yet to even use any of my souls/whatever they are called to level up. Spent the last half hour getting wrecked by him but came out on top. Felt the old souls anger starting to rise…. Damn feels good to be back.

Oof. I think I needed a bigger buttplug. Got my arse handed as well. That cheaky chest transported me to a damn tough area.

• Strength
Reactions: Mirabilis
I’ve not played much souls so I’ve got a lot to learn!

Time to get some kip. I’ll be back on it after work tomorrow.

• Coffee
So far so good. First hour dicking about getting the sound to work. First impressions are intro makes little sense (as intended) and graphics aren't as good as Remake. That been said it's going to be an amazing game and the funs just about to start... tomorrow because its bed time in the UK 😅

It really depends on how you play. I ran down path thinking damn this shit is too easy and ran into the horn guy. His reinforcements wrecked me so I went left went I got to the trees and found a cave. 100% sure the boss is a side boss because I bet people can completely miss him.

I have yet to even use any of my souls/whatever they are called to level up. Spent the last half hour getting wrecked by him but came out on top. Felt the old souls anger starting to rise…. Damn feels good to be back.
I’m starting to wonder if the game does different things for us. In the first boss I didn’t die, it screamed at me then the screen went black and I woke up in a cave. Then I went through there, did the mini tutorial soldier boss, did the counter attack it told me to do, and I battered him with barely a hit.

• Brain
Reactions: HariSeldon
I’m starting to wonder if the game does different things for us. In the first boss I didn’t die, it screamed at me then the screen went black and I woke up in a cave. Then I went through there, did the mini tutorial soldier boss, did the counter attack it told me to do, and I battered him with barely a hit.
Oh yeah same thing happened to me but that’s how all souls games start so I didn’t count it. That guy will get his later or in new game +

Dude I’m talking about is after horse fucker and the cave has tons of wolves. Pretty sure it was completely optional although I got an item which I have no idea what it does.

Can we summon horse yet? Or raise level? Or do we need to find NPCs for both of these?
I have no idea. Let me know if you find out. I’m worried I missed the horse but I haven’t played since I beat the boss. Hopefully it get it soon.

Heading back in now.

• Strength
About fucking time. Spoiler about leveling up and horse.

You cannot level up until your maiden shows up. I explored tons of areas and nothing happened. It wasn't until I found a ruin... I think around the bridge... you'll know the bridge after dying alot. Once you find this go to a campfire and the girl shows up. Now the thing is I am not sure if this is what triggers it as I found the ruin and kept running around trying to sneak past things I probably shouldn't have. It wasn't until I went to one because I was out of pots that she showed up. Let me know if this is what triggers her. It will be wild if it is actually triggered by time in game.

Also, don't get cocky. While the bonfires are abundant at first they seem to be much more spread out.

• Brain
Oh yeah same thing happened to me but that’s how all souls games start so I didn’t count it. That guy will get his later or in new game +

Dude I’m talking about is after horse fucker and the cave has tons of wolves. Pretty sure it was completely optional although I got an item which I have no idea what it does.
I think its a talisman? that increases fire resistance. Gotta equip it.

Quick question:

My friends were telling me tonight their favorite gifs from my ELDEN RING OT [and also telling me that I'm crazily obsessed with ELDEN RING] and I asked them to narrow down a singular favorite one - and 4 out of 5 of them said the same one; so I'm curious as to what your favorite, single gif is from the OT?

I had a different path. First boss
I died, black screen and woke up in the cave.
Went through the cave but didn’t encounter what you did. Might have to start again and see what I find if I’m awake.

• Strength
Quick question:

My friends were telling me tonight their favorite gifs from my ELDEN RING OT [and also telling me that I'm crazily obsessed with ELDEN RING] and I asked them to narrow down a singular favorite one - and 4 out of 5 of them said the same one; so I'm curious as to what your favorite, single gif is from the OT?

Godfrey Gif for me

• 100%
Reactions: Black Chamber
🤔Has anyone managed to decipher the clue for the contest?🤔

If you figure it out, please don't share how you did it. Let's keep this fair. After all, half the joy of discovery is the thrill you get from solving a difficult puzzle over the course of your journey💯

I HATE MYSELF. SO MANY HOURS OF SEARCHING AND THEN THIS SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!! You sneaky fucker.

I'm on the trail, second step.

Now searching the OT to solve the task. Magnificent effort!

Who else is onto it?

Which class did you guys go with? I chose Samurai.
I went with warrior body type 1, old. Honestly I have no idea what difference it makes though and the game tells you nothing about the differences which is perhaps unhelpful but maybe helps remove the paralysis of choice.

• Brain
Which class did you guys go with? I chose Samurai.
I was very tempted by that and a few classes, but I went generic first class. Tried to make myself, but I don’t have a creative eye so I gave up half way through. Short dark hair and an approximate skin tone is close enough, I’ll have helmets on anyway.

I expect to make about 50 characters through the game’s life if it’s as good as DS1, so there’s plenty of time to work my way through the offerings. I’m not fasting rolling yet, so it’s actually a bit of a process adapting away from the Limp Bizkit play style.

All of the classes look brilliant, they did a good job making them all appealling

I went with warrior body type 1, old. Honestly I have no idea what difference it makes though and the game tells you nothing about the differences which is perhaps unhelpful but maybe helps remove the paralysis of choice.
I thought that, but if you press Y it shows stats and gear icons

• Brain
Reactions: HariSeldon
I thought that, but if you press Y it shows stats and gear icons
I'm beginning to think that playing a complex game late at night isn't a good idea when I'm old and can't do late nights anymore. I missed so much stuff! Back in again from scratch this evening I think. Will stick with the same build though either way but i want to take it in more, instead of being tired and missing stuff.

Loved the intro btw - so wonderfully over the top... ACTING. Loved it.

Played for about two hours. Got my ass handed to me a couple of times, not because of difficult fights but because it's been a while since I've played a souls game and I kept hitting the wrong buttons on the controller.

Started as a confessor for the shield but I'm thinking about starting over as a samurai because a dex/int build looks interesting.

Started as a silver amazon like wretched with nothing but a basic club.

Now after many trial and errors (deaths) in the starting region l have a basic mismatch of infantry armor, and a great sword. Mounted combat with a weapon that has reach is fun, but takes getting used to. Stealth is even better, just shove the greatsword through their back.

Vitality is at 12
Strength is at 16
Endurance is at 12 and just that made a noticable difference in my ability to wear gear and certain weapons.
Everything else still basic 10.

Will probably start ramping up intellect and Faith.

Also the spirit wolves are best dogos.

Also turned down brightness, and starting area and sky is beyond beautiful.

Almost like playing a painted Dragons Crown world. There is always something interesting to find and see or get surprise killed by (like a surprise teleport treasure chest that took me to a region I am absolutely not ready for.)

Absolutely amazing.

I got to the actual open world and my performance tanked. A suttery 48fps average even with G-Sync. I'm going to overclock when my extra RAM gets here, and likely push it to 4.5 if it will get there. If it's still not close enough to 60, I'll have to lock to 30 and play like a peasant. After 3-4(00) hours I'll get used to it. Maybe.

There's all sorts of suggestions on /r/eldenring, but with mixed opinions on what's actually making a difference and what's just coincidence because of caching and whatever else.

So I did a quick run through the tutorial and here are some graphics impressions:

1) IMO this game is one of the best art directed games I've ever seen. I can only think of a handful of games that have this kind of skill (R&C is one but it shoots for 3D animation). I MUST buy the physical artbook. This alone could make it win Best Looking Game of 2022.

2) FPS stuttering: it's caused by their streaming system when loading in sections of the game into their memory pool. Mine is very brief but I have 64G of RAM and using a 3090 (24G of VRAM). I suspect there is some optimization that can be done there. It's more than likely a single threaded process so I'd presume for PCs they could expand their cache a little further to keep more of the game in local RAM.

3) Running this game at native 4k is an absolute MUST! It brings every single detail out. The videos destroy the visual showcase here as people are recording the game in non-HDR mode where things are drastically desaturated and just wrong.

5) Please set your HDR settings to a value lower than the middle. The game is naturally bright and the color correction isn't where it's supposed to be on default. This will depend on your TV, but I set mine a few notches lower and results are crisp, saturated and detailed.

6) Texture size is good. I can see the details of the normal maps and foliage is also clear and crisp

7) MORE shadows!!!! If this game had shadow casting lights for every light source, it would go right up the top of my list as the best looking game this generation. The artwork is THAT good.

Very cool to read your impressions! What I've seen in screenshots was rather underwhelmig from a technical viewpoint. Especially regarding material textures and shaders, but lighting seemed flat with bad AO.

Glad to hear that it's still a great looking game.

Very cool to read your impressions! What I've seen in screenshots was rather underwhelmig from a technical viewpoint. Especially regarding material textures and shaders, but lighting seemed flat with bad AO.

Glad to hear that it's still a great looking game.
Yes, I wish the consoles could render native 4k. It would bring that stuff out. Everything they've done is pretty much what most games do today. They just have to get RT shadows and the performance bugs fixed.

I got to the actual open world and my performance tanked. A suttery 48fps average even with G-Sync. I'm going to overclock when my extra RAM gets here, and likely push it to 4.5 if it will get there. If it's still not close enough to 60, I'll have to lock to 30 and play like a peasant. After 3-4(00) hours I'll get used to it. Maybe.

There's all sorts of suggestions on /r/eldenring, but with mixed opinions on what's actually making a difference and what's just coincidence because of caching and whatever else.
Gut feeling is the extra RAM will see you just fine. My machine is hardly top of the range and plays at 1080 quite happily.

• Strength
Reactions: Soodanim

Absolutely agree on the art style, it's absolutely fucking gorgeous. Clearly made by very clever and passionate people with a lot of love and a lot of skill. Honestly it's an absolute delight to play.

I'm a weak man and I double-dipped PC and PS5.

I have a 3080, Ryzen 9 5900X, and 64 Gigs of RAM and was experiencing intermittent frame dips the entire time I played on PC. Nothing that "ruined" my experience but it was still annoying

Played a little on PS5 this morning on performance mode and it seems to perform better than the PC, at least in terms of frame dips. HDR also seems to be better on PS5 compared to PC

• Shocked
Reactions: regawdless
@Dreamlord

Elden Ring + Screenshot OT

Me
john-travolta-well.gif