Thread: ELDEN RING |OT| One Ring To Rule Them All (Decent Internet Connection Recommended).
Official Thread
I am. Going completely blind on this one haven’t seen any reviews or gameplay footage.

I think I’m going for a Dex build my first play through.
I usually go dex first with the attitude of "I'm going to parry EVERYTHING" but last time I did that, DS3 changed the timings and I quickly learned that I was going to parry nothing. Might just go standard first time, although I haven't looked at the classes yet.
🤔Has anyone managed to decipher the clue for the contest?🤔

If you figure it out, please don't share how you did it. Let's keep this fair. After all, half the joy of discovery is the thrill you get from solving a difficult puzzle over the course of your journey💯
I figured out the cypher, I just didn't want to say anything. I won't spoil it!
I'm hoping my 10 year old i5-4670K @ 3.4GHz is sufficient - got 16GB RAM and a 1660 Super so the rest is good, but I guess we'll find out tonight.
We'll have to compare notes on how much of a difference the RAM makes.
4690k, 8GB DDR3, 1660ti

• Strength
Reactions: Mirabilis
Didn't plan to play it at launch tbh. Wanted to wait a bit, because it's such a huge game and a big commitment. Currently don't have that much time on my hands.

But damn is it tempting.
giphy.gif

I usually go dex first with the attitude of "I'm going to parry EVERYTHING" but last time I did that, DS3 changed the timings and I quickly learned that I was going to parry nothing. Might just go standard first time, although I haven't looked at the classes yet.

I figured out the cypher, I just didn't want to say anything. I won't spoil it!

We'll have to compare notes on how much of a difference the RAM makes.
4690k, 8GB DDR3, 1660ti
Someone posted https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/elden-ring-pc-performance-and-best-settings-guide earlier which suggested a minimum of 12GB RAM. Might be an issue for you.

First, let's look at the situation on consoles. The performance metrics we saw in the game's network test last year seem largely unchanged on PS5 and Series X. Both continue to offer two modes - a frame-rate mode and a quality mode. However, even running on the launch day patch 1.02, the frame-rate mode continues to run at a range of 45-60fps on PS5 and Series X, while the quality modes on each range between 30-60fps. Both machines run with entirely unlocked frame-rates, and much like the network test, there's still no 30fps cap to even out the wavering reading in quality mode. The result? A highly variable performance for the quality mode in particular, where 60fps is rarely - if ever - achieved on PS5 or Series X.

In comparison, PS5 is typically operating at a higher frame-rate than Series X, though clearly neither is ideal. The bottom line is neither console offers a consistent 60fps in the final release. That being said, there are workarounds for each platform well worth considering. Xbox Series X is greatly improved by its system-level support for variable refresh rate (VRR) if you have a supporting display. VRR helps minimise the perceived judder in its 45-60fps range in frame-rate mode, creating a smoother experience by matching the screen refresh to the frame-rate. This may not be a solution for everybody, but for those with compatible TVs it's the best option on Xbox right now. Series S users also benefit from VRR here. Given this platform's frame-rate mode runs between 40-60fps right now it's a viable choice, though not perfect, given Series S's performance veers more often towards the lower end of this range than Series X.

Meanwhile, hitting a stable 60fps on PS5 involves another tactic entirely. Sadly, VRR support isn't available on Sony's machine right now, but, as with the network test, simply running the PS4 app on PS5 clears up the frame-rate to a smooth 60fps. The trade-off? The game runs at a lower resolution - at what appears to be a reconstructed 1800p - and with lower settings in grass density than the native PS5 version. This is fundamentally the PS4 Pro codepath, using the higher power of PS5 to hit a more consistent performance level. Even with these trade-offs, running the PS4 app on PS5 is currently the best option on any console to achieve a consistent 60fps - and comes recommended if you value outright performance over image quality and higher-end graphical features.

The PC situation is also worth clarifying. As it currently stands the PC version using the latest 1.02 patch has a number of issues that will affect all hardware configurations on all graphical settings presets. Elden Ring is From Software's first foray into low-level APIs on PC and the game uses DirectX 12. As we have seen in other DX12 titles, there can be severe and distracting frame-time stuttering issues.

First there are stutters of up to 250 milliseconds in length when new effects, enemies, and areas appear on screen. These types of stutter lessen as the play experience goes on and enemies, areas, and effects are revisited by the player. A second and more pervasive stutter appears to be tied to loading new game areas - when traversing the terrain, moving from one area to the next can cause minor one-off frame drops a few times a minute, or at worst, tumbling frame-time issues that drop the frame-rate from a steady 60 into the 40s.

Variable refresh rate monitors using G-Sync or Freesync help alleviate a level of the distracting nature of some of these issues, but leaning on the technology is not a good situation in light of how the console versions do not suffer from these stutters. Other issues to note are the lack of ultrawide screen support, no support for frame-rates above 60fps, and unintuitive graphical options that lack visible scaling

Someone posted https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/elden-ring-pc-performance-and-best-settings-guide earlier which suggested a minimum of 12GB RAM. Might be an issue for you.
Just you try and stop me, Harry.

That's why it will be useful to see how it goes. Worst case I order 8 more GB if it makes a substantial difference then it will cost me £45 to get the exact memory modules I already have, which will put me up to 16 and tide me over until I get a new PC.

Actually, fuck it. Ordering anyway. Your fault.

• Funny
Reactions: HariSeldon
I have a 980, I don't think I can play this game. The low perf would just piss me off.

See you all on the other side.

Reactions: regawdless
  • Brain
Reactions: HariSeldon
My CDKeys key is up, it wasn't when I checked yesterday. Redeemed and downloading.

Is that the only spec you're worried about? If so, I wouldn't be so sure you won't be okay: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-980-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1060-6GB/2576vs3639

You're at 4GB vs the 1060's 6GB, but I wouldn't write it off completely.
I will be too busy looking at framerates and tweaking to enjoy the game, I'd rather just wait. Gonna miss the hype cycle but oh well.

Grabbing the latest nvidia drivers to update them and the downloads are running pretty slow (500kb/s), presumably other people had the same idea as me.

• 100%
I thought I could Play at 10 today but I see it unlocks at 3:00PM...bummed but I guess its a blessing. My last meeting ends half hour before the unlock.

Is there no one out there brave enough to enter the ~Contest of the ELDEN LORDS~?

So far, nobody has messaged me with their entry🤷🏻‍♂️
I wanted to have another pass to make sure it was as good as it can be, but I can throw an early entry your way to get the ball rolling if you like! (Being as vague as possible about it, but you get what I mean)

• Brain
Is there no one out there brave enough to enter the ~Contest of the ELDEN LORDS~?

So far, nobody has messaged me with their entry🤷🏻‍♂️
I'm too retarded to figure it out sadly - also I already bought it so it wouldn't really be right to take it from someone who has more need of it.
It would be inappropriate for me to enter the contest. But I do feel blessed to have unlocked what was necessary to find the page

• 100%
Reactions: Black Chamber
Decided to update my graphics drivers and thought to myself sarcastically, "Wouldn't it be super funny and ironic if I brick my card somehow with a simple driver update, with only an hour left until Elden Ring unlocks?" Long story short, install failed spectacularly and I briefly shat my pants in a disbelieving panic, but after almost 20 minutes of fucking around I got everything cleared out and the new drivers installed. Never tempt fate, my dudes. :ROFLMAO: