Thread: Xbox-Pad |OT|
Official Thread
I don't know what it is about Xbox controllers but serious question: Are they just cheap POS's? I'm in the middle of replacing bumpers on my second XSX controller within a 6 month time frame. And prior to that, I had an X1 controller where if you pressed one face button, it registered on a second button. Considering I've never had an issue with any PS controller, this is feeling like a quality control issue on the Xbox side.

Are the Elite controllers more bulletproof? I'd consider springing for that IF it meant not having to deal with broken parts constantly.

Never had any issues with mine. Bought more than 5 years ago and use often. I think I have a first revision with headphones jack. A friend of mine who had old VCR looking Xbox One had a problem with bumpers.

• This tbh
Reactions: Concern
Have two of them, and a four year old who throws them through the room sometimes.
No problems so far.
But I never had any problems with my PS pads as well.

I don't know what it is about Xbox controllers but serious question: Are they just cheap POS's? I'm in the middle of replacing bumpers on my second XSX controller within a 6 month time frame. And prior to that, I had an X1 controller where if you pressed one face button, it registered on a second button. Considering I've never had an issue with any PS controller, this is feeling like a quality control issue on the Xbox side.

Are the Elite controllers more bulletproof? I'd consider springing for that IF it meant not having to deal with broken parts constantly.

Controllers seem to have become more expensive as their quality dropped. PS3 controllers were more durable than 360 in my experience, but I'd still be playing with a 360 pad on PC if I could find them anywhere. Series S/X, which I've been using on PC (still prefer those trigger buttons to Dualsense), feels cheap by comparison and I had to return the first one I bought because one of its buttons would get stuck when pressed down. Could have just been a rare manufacturing problem, but tapping on the plastic casing doesn't give me the confidence that it would survive the same kind of abuse the older 360 controllers would.

• 100%
Reactions: Eneru
The Elite Controller is better than the standard ones, in that the Elite Controller should be the default and the standard ones should also be sold for those who want a second one for their family or friends who don't care about a better device.

That being said, all controllers need the ability to pull apart and replace the membranes/pads/contacts in an easy to service by the consumer with simple tools so that we can keep them up and running in tip top shape without having to break them apart.

I'm talking like the hobbyist arcade market where you can buy packs of joysticks and button pads to drop in your home made console for your cabinet.

It would make rockstars out of any company allowing that type of hobbyist support for controllers.

The only time I ever had any issues with an Xbox pad was disconnection issues, and that was fixed by simply moving the console.somethong was apparently blocking the signal.

I bought the golden special edition Xbox controller some time ago and returned it quickly. Cheap piece of shit. The buttons where so loud, you could hear me gaming upstairs at nights. Really annoying.

Sounds like it's luck of the draw for these controllers. Guess I'll just deal with it.

The only time I ever had any issues with an Xbox pad was disconnection issues, and that was fixed by simply moving the console.somethong was apparently blocking the signal.

Ugh forgot about this. YES, this too. I have this occasionally and it's a PITA to reconnect. The console is on my TV stand next to my TV so nothing blocking it either.

It's quite sad that a gaming forum have all places have only 327 posts on the official X-Box thread. Seems it's really dead even for d-pad.

• Brain
Reactions: Grinchy
+ 1 for the broken controller club. Xbox One controller I bought in 2018 has had a broken d-pad for years. One tap right = two or three presses. Annoying AF in menus, but fine I guess if you're just using the sticks. Series Controller has stick drift on the right stick which makes playing FPSs on it impossible. View is constantly moving up when the stick is at rest. Won't buy another one. Embarassing tbh that MS is more interested in making gay shit like fridges than good hardware and games.

Got a wired 8BitDo Pro 2 pad and it's wonderful. Great feel, much better build quality, and fine for both 2D and 3D games. Has that nice retro PS feel. Was only $35 too.

Capitalism is bad and is holding Xbox and Phil back 😢

"I don't get [the] luxury of not having to run a profitable growing business inside of Microsoft," Spencer said. "But just across the industry ... sitting here at GDC, I reflect on friends of mine in the industry that have been displaced and lost their jobs and how just, I don't want this industry to be a place where people can't, with confidence, build a career. So that's why I keep pivoting back to: How does this industry get back to growth?

"For us as Xbox or any of the teams that are out there, it is really an outcome of an industry that's not growing. It can grow and it will grow again. But you see this time right now and the implications have human impact. And we should all reflect on that and think about it."

There's a clear aspect of "don't hate the player" in all of this, but he's not wrong—if anything, Spencer is being very forthright. This is how it works: Capitalism capitalizes, and if that shark stops swimming, it dies. The constant-growth formula isn't great for sustainability, sure, and sometimes it can lead to catastrophe, but none of that matters in the places where big money decisions are made. And until that changes, it's not very likely anything else will—short of a full-blown industry die-off, anyway.

Just blaming ‘Capitalism’ generally is communist bollocks, but he’s not wrong about so much of modern business being inevitably fucked long term due to share holder concerns being placed above a sustainable business and good customer relations.

Really it’s investment/stakeholder capitalism that’s at fault, and that in itself has really only become a cancer since the move to fiat currency in the 1970’s, when America moved off the gold standard.

When the world’s economy stopped being tied to reality, and started just being a fictional story agreed upon to artificially inflate wealth at the expense of the actual consequences of that fiction, that’s when things started to go to shit, and is why we have completely batshit consequences like the need for constant growth, mega investment companies and billionaire shareholders dictating real world actions that only benefit themselves.

It’s all a house of cards, and. Every business built on it eventually topples over.

lol remember when Iwata and Reggie said that the industry needs more growth -- without the whining about capitalism -- 20 years ago and the rest of the industry laughed at him? Remember 'blue ocean strategy' and 'expanding the gaming audience' and all that? Wii and DS were aimed at growing the market while Sony and MS figured that growth would be forever.

This is why Valve is so fucking smart. They are as big as a publicly-traded company without the headaches of being one. If they want to have a stagnant year or even a down year, they can. They don't have to completely rip apart their business to cook the books to show growth just to keep the stock price ticking.

God I wish!!! Would be such and awesome direction for the industry.

No idea if it was sarcasm but Nvidia are greediest of them all. There would be more money hatting than we've ever seen before and consoles would be sooo much more expensive. This is a very different Nvidia than powered the original Xbox :)

It would make for exciting times, but I think how close we are to "play everything, everywhere" and letting the games do the talking is better over all.

Last edited:
  • This tbh
Reactions: DonDonDonPata

🤔🤔🤔🤔

Steam powered XBOX would be huge. Hell I'd get one for the bedroom, as long as I have access to my full game catalogue. Not sure how that would work though, xbox won't be getting barely a cut of anything and nothing if it's bought on PC, but played through xbox?

Steam powered XBOX would be huge. Hell I'd get one for the bedroom, as long as I have access to my full game catalogue. Not sure how that would work though, xbox won't be getting barely a cut of anything and nothing if it's bought on PC, but played through xbox?

Make GamePass subscription a requirement?

• Brain
Reactions: Hostile_18

🤔🤔🤔🤔

I assume not changing to the waste paper basket design for the digital only XSX was due to the failing sales. It’s far cheaper to just modify the existing case and keep the current components, minus a disk drive, than to build an entirely new version.

Steam on the Xbox is interesting though. If it’s effectively a home console Steam Machine, complete with Steam OS, then that would be amazing, and something I’d quite possibly buy, mostly for the 4K Blu Ray drive still, admittedly, but for the handful of AAA games I’m interested in that won’t run on Steam Deck too.

🤔🤔🤔

Would be a nice disruption of the market and would absolutely melt the snoys watching their games running on Xbox (while they get Pentiment and Grounded)

• 100%
Reactions: Eneru
Would be a nice disruption of the market and would absolutely melt the snoys watching their games running on Xbox (while they get Pentiment and Grounded)

Agreed. If I could play all my Steam games on an Xbox hooked to my tv I probably would dip in. Then the discless xsx design would make even more sense imo.

Just build a budget minded pc and hook it to your tv, guys

Not super hard