Thread: Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun |OT| Space Marine 2.5D
Official Thread
Still no reviews.

There was one that went up early, by Xbox Era, but got pulled before I found it. Only the Google search result is available. They call the game messy. I guess the MC for the game will be in the 70s, which doesn't mean I won't enjoy it.

2023-05-23_11h19_28effdc.png

Honestly a fun 7/10 with a lot of heart is exactly what I'd expect from these lower budget kind of games. Unless there's something horrendously broken about it, I don't need a modern 'all the bells and whistles' 10/10.

I’ll confess that I nearly passed on Boltgun. It’s not often that a straight-up FPS captures my attention these days, and even the combined lures of Warhammer 40k and Rahul Kohli (who is sadly a bit wasted as the protagonist, his contributions limited to a few grunts and a selection of heavily-filtered taunt lines delivered at the smash of the T key) weren’t enough to grab me. However, I’m really glad that I checked it out as, despite some issues, Boltgun is marvellous fun. It’s a highly entertaining shooter that had me grinning from ear to ear on many an occasion, and is one of, if not the best representation of the Warhammer 40,000 universe available on your personal cogitation device.

• Strength
Reactions: Mirabilis
Played the first two missions on Hard. It is giving me a very good first impression. The gore, the style, the shooting. It's all coming together in an excellent way.

Reactions: Yer Da
Holy shit! I just started, like 10 minutes in and I'm in absolute AWE! Seriously this is shaping up to be one of the greatest FPS games ever made. It is so visceral, fluent, attuned, authentic, flawless. Goodness me, this is the real DOOM 3! Unless something major happens to ruin it, this could be one for the history books!

Put the sound on full blast, people! The soundtrack and the whole soundscape is just incredible!

Your armour is LITERALLY contempt! Holy shit, I can't get enough of this!

Honestly a fun 7/10 with a lot of heart is exactly what I'd expect from these lower budget kind of games. Unless there's something horrendously broken about it, I don't need a modern 'all the bells and whistles' 10/10.

I just want to enjoy shooting shit

that is all

Spent all evening playing it. Bloody love it.

Sadly on Steam Deck the cut scenes are currently glitched and won't play, but otherwise it runs at full 800p resolution, locked 60fps, just absolutely perfectly. The gunplay, the speed, the movement, the verticality of the levels, the bullet hell like strategising enemies necessitate, the aesthetics, the weapons, the dedicated taunting button... it's all just brilliant.

Also once again having gyro aiming on Steam Deck just makes any shooter better. Can't wait till after work tomorrow to play more!

Spent all evening playing it. Bloody love it.

Sadly on Steam Deck the cut scenes are currently glitched and won't play, but otherwise it runs at full 800p resolution, locked 60fps, just absolutely perfectly. The gunplay, the speed, the movement, the verticality of the levels, the bullet hell like strategising enemies necessitate, the aesthetics, the weapons, the dedicated taunting button... it's all just brilliant.

Also once again having gyro aiming on Steam Deck just makes any shooter better. Can't wait till after work tomorrow to play more!

What a brilliant little surprise this has been. I'm shocked it is this high quality. Completely blown away by it. Can't wait to see more.

• 100%
Reactions: Stilton Disco
What a brilliant little surprise this has been. I'm shocked it is this high quality. Completely blown away by it. Can't wait to see more.

Especially when we consider the decades of DOOM mods and the only thing that comes even remotely close to this is Brutal DOOM. This really feels like the ultimate DOOM game. I'm so glad there are no insanely labyrinthian levels so far. Just two levels before finishing the 1st chapter and it has been just pure joy.

Especially when we consider the decades of DOOM mods and the only thing that comes even remotely close to this is Brutal DOOM. This really feels like the ultimate DOOM game. I'm so glad there are no insanely labyrinthian levels so far. Just two levels before finishing the 1st chapter and it has been just pure joy.

What I didn't realise I would appreciate so much is the stripped back simplicity it offers. Just you, some guns and a bunch of heretics to murder.

No fucking around with talent trees or RPG upgrade mechanics, no inventory management or fiddling around looking at an AutoMap.

Just get in and have a blast.

Top tier stuff from Auroch Digital who I'd never even heard of before this.

What Retro settings are you using? I played around with the sliders, ended up going with the least pixelation, but keeping the Retro Palette on the default setting because it looks gritty and fits the setting. Turned off bloom at first, but turned it back on.

Looking good imo.

boltgunscreenshot202396d69.png

• 100%
Reactions: mcz117chief
Comparison between the settings

Vanilla on the left, Off on the right.
Vanilla vs Off

I went with no Pixelation and Vanilla Retro Palette.
Vanilla on the left, my settings on the right.
Vanilla vs Mine

Difference is way more obvious in motion, because the vanilla style has a lot of shimmering etc. while mine is clean.

I played through the first 5 levels or so last night (I finished the level where you get the heavy bolter). Its really good and gunplay is the reason to play this game...HOWEVER.

-level design is ok but nothing amazing. For this project, it gets a pass but it feels like a missed opportunity to shake things up a bit. There is not even anything as interesting as the jump pads and teleporters from DOOM. Levels are just bog standard arenas and corridors.

-I dont like the boss characters that can just infinitely respawn low level enemies until you kill them. I don't like this in any game ever. I understand why they do this though, its because....

-boss enemies so far are just tankier (and sometimes bigger) normal enemies. Its fine, but its not great

Played a couple of hours, I really like it,. My only issue is that the enemies are not easy to distinguish from the environment and it makes it a bit too frenetic at times. Especially with the stupid frogs, jumping up and down. Other than that, good game so far. Oh, I also don't like the slight floatiness of the movement. You don't stop dead, you move a bit further when you release the movement button and then stop.

Reactions: and 3 others
Played a couple of hours, I really like it,. My only issue is that the enemies are not easy to distinguish from the environment and it makes it a bit too frenetic at times. Especially with the stupid frogs, jumping up and down. Other than that, good game so far. Oh, I also don't like the slight floatiness of the movement. You don't stop dead, you move a bit further when you release the movement button and then stop.

I think the movement thing is intentional because you're playing a heavy big Ultra Marine. Didn't bother me at all. I love it so far. Especially how they totally spam you with ammo, I don't like ammo management in these kinds of games. Only criticism so far: I'm playing on Hard and like... never even came remotely close to dying. I'm still rather early in the game though, so that might change. Makes the game feel great though because you're feeling like an Ultra Marine, slashing through hordes of enemies.

• This tbh
Being an Unreal Engine 4 game, it does have stutter. I'm playing at 1440p and traversal stutter is a thing and some random maybe shader compilation stutter. I HATE it and it's distracting. Given the visuals of the game, I'd expect a locked 144fps on my system tbh.

You can see it here when I'm shooting the dude:

And again here:

WTF man.

Being an Unreal Engine 4 game, it does have stutter. I'm playing at 1440p and traversal stutter is a thing and some random maybe shader compilation stutter. I HATE it and it's distracting. Given the visuals of the game, I'd expect a locked 144fps on my system tbh.

You can see it here when I'm shooting the dude:

And again here:

WTF man.

Damn that sucks.

As much as not having cut scenes sucks on Steam Deck, the wizardry Valve have been doing behind the scenes on the shaders means I'm at least not getting anything like this.

Occasional drops in random corridors, when it must be loading new areas, are the only times I've had noticeable frame rate issues so far.

Damn that sucks.

As much as not having cut scenes sucks on Steam Deck, the wizardry Valve have been doing behind the scenes on the shaders means I'm at least not getting anything like this.

Occasional drops in random corridors, when it must be loading new areas, are the only times I've had noticeable frame rate issues so far.

I noticed it hard because I updated my GPU driver. Returning to the game, it stuttered like that on EVERY new enemy. After that, it was smooth. Because it only stutters one time for every new shader / element and the driver update cleared the previously compiled shaders.

• Brain