Official Thread

regawdless

hare-assment

Platforms
  1. PC
boltintropodaf.gif

Launch Countdown
May 23, 2023 at 5:00 PM

Load up your Boltgun and plunge into battle headfirst! Experience a perfect blend of Warhammer 40,000, classic, frenetic FPS gameplay
and the stylish visuals of your favourite 90's retro shooters.

Play a battle-hardened Space Marine on a perilous mission across the galaxy, as they battle against the Chaos Space Marines and daemons of Chaos.

In glorious boomer shooter style, unleash your devastating Space Marine arsenal as you blast through an explosion of sprites, pixels and blood.
Run, jump and charge across huge levels to shoot, shred and slice the worst heretics across the galaxy!

It's a sequel to 2011's Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Last edited:
General Information

a-warhammer-40k-bolt5dfz6.jpeg

Release date: May 23, 2023
Platforms: Nintendo Switch, PS 5, Xbox One, PS 4, Xbox Series X and S, PC
Developer: Auroch Digital
Engine: Unreal Engine 4
Publisher: Focus Entertainment
Genre: Retro style first-person shooter

Price: 21,99
Pre-order for -10% (except for PlayStation, discount only with PS Plus)

System Requirements

MINIMUM:

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 / Intel Core i3-2120
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: 1 GB VRAM, AMD Radeon HD 7770 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 5 GB available space
Additional Notes: Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system, 30 FPS, 1920x1080 in low.​

RECOMMENDED:

Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 1500X / Intel Core i5-8400
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: 3 GB VRAM, AMD Radeon RX 580 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 5 GB available space
Additional Notes: Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system, 60 FPS, 1920x1080 in ultra.​

Gameplay

• Armored Core VI Premium Edition

Dive into a visceral combat experience, complete with viciously satisfying gunplay, high mobility and buckets of blood to reward your skills

• Armored Core VI Collector's Edition

Dominate the battlefield with the awesome firepower and heavy metal of a Space Marine's devastating arsenal​

• Armored Core VI Launch Edition

Experience the ultimate homage to retro shooters, blending stylish visuals with fluid, modern FPS gameplay​

boltreviewsy4cyz.gif

Last edited:
Really looking forward to playing this. Great OT!

Focus Entertainment is a name to watch. A few years ago my eye was caught by several B-tier games and realized later after I'd bought a few of em (Greedfall, Surge 2) "oh wait, several of these are published by Focus, weird, I've never heard of them" and since then I've bought or plan to buy several more games (Plague Tale, Evil West, Atlas Fallen, hardspace Shipbreaker).

Also "Boomer Shooter" is official, for better or worse. at least it helps people differentiate the subgenre now. I look forward to the identical 'roguelike versus roguelite' arguments all over again.

Pre-order on Steam and Xbox Store for -10%

On the PlayStation store it's only -10% if you're PS Plus subscriber.

Fantastic job @regawdless

First game this year I've bought for myself. All the gameplay trailers look incredible, and the story tie ins to the first Space Marine game (same planet, same magic lantern thingamajig, main character name drops Titus), so at 16 quid, what's the harm in giving it the benefit of the doubt.

I'm also delighted to be playing as a Sternguard Marine! Those geezers are bloody awesome, and some of my absolute favourite models to paint and play.

For those who want a little extra background lore, I'll put some in spoilers below to not make this post too massive for those that are indifferent.

Space Marines are organised into 1000 strong self sufficient armies called chapters. Each chapt is divided into 10, 100 marine strong Companies.

The 10th company is full of new recruits. The 6th to 9th are reserves that are only sent into battle when extra numbers are needed. The 2nd to 5th are Battle Companies, that do 90% of the Chapters fighting. In Space Marine, Captain Titus led the 2nd Company.

Then there's the 1st company, who are the elite of the elite. Veterans of centuries of warfare, experts at all known fighting styles, the absolute best of the best, only called in when things are too dangerous even for normal Space Marines. They get the best armour, the best weapons, and are each individually as dangerous as any champion within the other 9 Companies.

In Boltgun, you play as a member of the Ultramarines 1st compamy. Specifically a Sternguard, who are the company's masters of ranged combat. Each Sternguard Marine is pretty much John Wick, given Captain America's super soldier serum, in power armour that let's them juggle cars, ignore bullets and run at 60mph, and are armed with the chapters most precious, master crafted, ancient and above all lethal firearms.

Sternguard are bloody awesome, and I am delighted to get to play an FPS as one.

For those who want a little extra background lore, I'll put some in spoilers below to not make this post too massive for those that are indifferent.

I love this stuff, Warhammer lore is so good.

Regarding the game, it all looks like they nailed it, very excited. BUT the dev studio is weird man.

- UK based devs that started with mobile games
- Never did a shooter
- Their last game was Brewmaster: Beer Brewing Simulator (received good reviews)
- Before that, they did Mars Horizon, 71% MC
- Apparently they're big Warhammer fans and it's a passion project

Anything can happen here.

The Warhammer 40k Boltgun developers reveals how they got pro actor Rahul Kohli to “utterly waste his talents” yelling “Warhammer themed obscenities”

He adds “We’ve wasted [Kohli’s] talent completely, he just shouts things at cultists before you smash them up with your chainsword”.
It happens that Ultramarines are also Kohli's Warhammer 40k faction of choice – he's even painted a miniature of his character Malum Caedo. In an interview with Warhammer Community on April 11, Kohli says "To have voiced an Ultramarine in a first person shooter? I mean, I've kind of peaked. It definitely feels like the perfect project".

The Warhammer 40k Boltgun developers reveals how they got pro actor Rahul Kohli to “utterly waste his talents” yelling “Warhammer themed obscenities”

He adds “We’ve wasted [Kohli’s] talent completely, he just shouts things at cultists before you smash them up with your chainsword”.
It happens that Ultramarines are also Kohli's Warhammer 40k faction of choice – he's even painted a miniature of his character Malum Caedo. In an interview with Warhammer Community on April 11, Kohli says "To have voiced an Ultramarine in a first person shooter? I mean, I've kind of peaked. It definitely feels like the perfect project".

I like Rahul, but it's a damn shame he's a Liverpool fan.

Wargamer did more interviews with the devs, worth reading. Looks like they're all total Warhammer nerds and retro shooter fans. They understand what makes these games great.

“We saw the rise of the boomer shooter, we saw games like Dusk and Amid Evil and Ion Fury and stuff coming out… and every time we’d just be like: Oh, someone should really make a Warhammer one of these” code lead Sam Chester says. Eventually, the team decided that ‘someone’ should be Auroch
Lead designer Grant Stewart talks about the team's love of retro Warhammer: "I'm really tempted to run downstairs and get all my 90s Exalted Flamers I've been painting. We're all of an age basically where we got into [Warhammer 40k] the first time round in the 90s, in our early teens. That period of Warhammer holds a special place in our heart."

Everyone in the team collects a Warhammer 40k faction.

The gore system sounds NEAT

Code lead Sam Chester explains that when your Space Marine hero blasts apart a Chaos cultist in Boltgun, the gore system kicks into action: “When you shoot an enemy we spawn a particle effect” – a spray of bloody fireworks – “we spawn decals” – bloody stickers that get applied to the level map – “then we also spawn these little body parts”.

Chester explains that some of those giblets “stick to surfaces, they can stick to the ceiling and then drop off and plop onto the floor, or they can slide down walls”. Others “don’t stick, they roll about, they slide around the environments, slide down sloped surfaces, and they continue to have physics enabled…” He adds “the art team have done an incredible job” creating dismembered body-parts for all sorts of creatures, from Chaos Space Marine Terminators to Greater Daemons of Nurgle.
Chester points to his bloody inspirations: "The gore system is inspired by Brutal Doom's gore system, which was exceptional, and a little game called Jet Force Gemini from the N64 days… that was the first time I'd seen dynamic gore that flies around, hits the environment, and reacts there". Truly, the blood god Khorne would be proud.

Enemies seen in the trailers so far:

Chaos Cultist
Cultist with heavy stubber
Renegade Guardsman with plasmagun
Chaos Space Marine
Chaos Space Marine Terminator
Nurglings
Lesser plague toad
Greater plague toad
Great Unclean One
Pink Horror
Blue Horror
Flamer of Tzeentch
Lord of Change

Enemies seen in the trailers so far:

Chaos Cultist
Cultist with heavy stubber
Renegade Guardsman with plasmagun
Chaos Space Marine
Chaos Space Marine Terminator
Nurglings
Lesser plague toad
Greater plague toad
Great Unclean One
Pink Horror
Blue Horror
Flamer of Tzeentch
Lord of Change

I wanna get a PC now just for the Alex Jones Nurglings mod I know will be made!

Still no reviews.

There was one that went up early, by Xbox Era, but got pulled before I found it. Only the Google search result is available. They call the game messy. I guess the MC for the game will be in the 70s, which doesn't mean I won't enjoy it.

2023-05-23_11h19_28effdc.png

Mid to high 70s is fine by me. The advantage of GW's licensing agreement stuff means we can have passion projects such as this, even if you wind up with a high percentage of stinkers it's nice to sometimes have a few rough around the edges releases that have some standard of quality.