Thread: The Last of Us Part I |OT| You know Ellie, we really are The Latest of Us.
Official Thread
The amount of times I replay these types of games it's still amazing value for money.

Resident Evil 1 and Duke 3D still has the crown for the most times I've bought a single game 😄

Don't expect a Digital Foundry coverage directly at launch, because they didn't get a review version, apparently:

Yeah it's easy to see why developers aren't keen to give Digital Foundry a copy. Even with the best settings/implementation in the world theres always something day 1, and that's best case scenario.

Anyways downloading as we speak. Let's see if it can beat Returnal as my GOTY. This is the one game I wanted on PC above all others (though Part 2 and Bloodborne comes close). I've played the original through around 5 times, and got the full plat on the PS4. Looking forward to seeing what they have done that tells me why this remake needed to exist. They really should have included multiplayer in this and Uncharted 4, with Factions set for 2025.

• Love
Reactions: regawdless
Yeah it's easy to see why developers aren't keen to give Digital Foundry a copy. Even with the best settings/implementation in the world theres always something day 1, and that's best case scenario.

Anyways downloading as we speak. Let's see if it can beat Returnal as my GOTY. This is the one game I wanted on PC above all others (though Part 2 and Bloodborne comes close). I've played the original through around 5 times, and got the full plat on the PS4. Looking forward to seeing what they have done that tells me why this remake needed to exist. They really should have included multiplayer in this and Uncharted 4, with Factions set for 2025.

Oh yeah it's launch day, I kinda forgot.

Please tell me everything about the carpet deformation physics!

• 100%
Reactions: Hostile_18
Not off to a good start. First Steam thinks 5pm on the 28th is the start of the day. Shaders taking ages to load even on my rig. Then it warned me there's a new graphics update that stopped my pc from restarting. Now the Duel Sense when plugged in for advanced haptics is making a constant noise/rattling.

• Shocked
Not off to a good start. First Steam thinks 5pm on the 28th is the start of the day. Shaders taking ages to load even on my rig. Then it warned me there's a new graphics update that stopped my pc from restarting. Now the Duel Sense when plugged in for advanced haptics is making a constant noise/rattling.

Please don't forget to share some screenshots. I need it.

Will do. I take it Steams screen shot functions are fine? Anyways solved my issues with the controller. Had to update its firmware. It was only one revision behind though, so seemed a bit extreme.

So far biggest difference is BY FAR the character models. They look alot more human. Tess pretty much IS Annie now minus the hair (RIP). The enviroments are better but it's kind of a Blu ray to 4k upgrade, noticeable but not necessary.

Shaders are loading again (after gpu update). Definitely something up though it's taking 20 times longer than other games. I was getting 90-100 fps everything maxed but felt like a low framerate... this must be what stutters are. If I'm noticing it it must be bad lol. That been said when shaders are complete I'm expecting it to go away. I'll update the thread.

The extras are nice. Last of Us podcasts and directors commentary with Neil, Troy and Ashley to unlock. I guess I will be playing this twice!

• Strength
People raise a good point on Steam. For some it's taking 1+ hours to compile the shaders. It's a 2 hour refund window.

It's mostly negative at the moment. Seems a combination of been very demanding and quite a few bugs. My controller bug is back 🙈

• Shocked
People raise a good point on Steam. For some it's taking 1+ hours to compile the shaders. It's a 2 hour refund window.

It's mostly negative at the moment. Seems a combination of been very demanding and quite a few bugs. My controller bug is back 🙈

WHAT? One hour of shader compilation? @VFX_Veteran what the hell is going on, can you explain to me how we got from games... just working to over one hour of shader compilation? There are great looking games where you never see anything shader compilation related and no stutters, while other games go totally nuts.

It took me around 40 minutes on a 7600x 5.4ghz with a 4090. People on the Steam forums said 2 hours but it thought they must be exguratting so cut it to 1 hour for the post lol. Iron Galaxy also did Uncharted and its compilation shaders never took anywhere near as long.

This game uses ALOT of VRAM. Whether that's allocated or in use who's to say but a lot of 3060 owners with 6gb not happy they can't play the game. Mine at max everything settles around 14gb.

Reactions: VFX_Veteran
Shaders at 70%. It starts to pick up past 40%. Vram usage seems really high with this game. :/ Going to have to turn down some texture settings for my 3080

• Brain
WHAT? One hour of shader compilation? @VFX_Veteran what the hell is going on, can you explain to me how we got from games... just working to over one hour of shader compilation? There are great looking games where you never see anything shader compilation related and no stutters, while other games go totally nuts.

I didn't track how long it compiled shaders because I left it alone after 8%.. 😂

The only thing I can think of is that there is a massive database of shader code for each engine. Unreal has so many shaders it's insane. With the engine having to parse the shade tree and compile those shaders WHILE it's a single threaded operation can warrant these long compile times.

The game is extremely detailed and beautiful. They threw the kitchen sink at this game as far as high fidelity. There are several graphics options in the game (like more than usual). I suspect though that their streaming system needs optimization. Even after the compile, rotating the camera around with things going on in the background causes stuttering (on my 4090).

Make no mistake though. This game has incredible texture detail and the lighting (baked) is amazing.. Runs right up there with the latest games in graphics from what I'm seeing.

Shaders at 70%. It starts to pick up past 40%. Vram usage seems really high with this game. :/ Going to have to turn down some texture settings for my 3080
Not surprising as the game has literally every graphics feature I can think of with the exception of parallax mapping. The textures are super high res (2048k or above). At native 4k, it's pushing a lot of bandwidth through the pipeline.

It took me around 40 minutes on a 7600x 5.4ghz with a 4090. People on the Steam forums said 2 hours but it thought they must be exguratting so cut it to 1 hour for the post lol. Iron Galaxy also did Uncharted and its compilation shaders never took anywhere near as long.

This game uses ALOT of VRAM. Whether that's allocated or in use who's to say but a lot of 3060 owners with 6gb not happy they can't play the game. Mine at max everything settles around 14gb.
Mine settles around 14-15gb. I would never buy graphics card under 16GB because of this very reason.

Damn... glad I didn't pre-order this one. I'll definitely play wait and see and hope some patches clean things up in the coming weeks/months in time for a discount.

I played about an hour before leaving for work and no crashes, fortunately. Gameplay hovered around 45-60 fps with DLSS Quality at 4K. Texture settings dropped to high but everything else maxed.

• Strength
Game looks incredible
HbGbSjo.jpg

HkblGdw.jpg

S0OYHUM.jpg

Fancy sticking everything on max at 10fps and telling me how it compares to the PS5 version 😅.

Cant wait to get stuck into this tonight. Character models in terms of details and acting performance are 100% the best part of this upgrade.

Fancy sticking everything on max at 10fps and telling me how it compares to the PS5 version 😅.

Cant wait to get stuck into this tonight. Character models in terms of details and acting performance are 100% the best part of this upgrade.

How are the mkb controls though.

• Really?
720p low fsr balanced has some of the worst textures I've seen, yet needs 5gb vram and 14gb ram wtf. Also on 1050ti 50fps till it starts raining then you get 25fps.
Will be waiting for deep sale or the game to run reasonable while looking like hot trash.

• Triggered
720p low fsr balanced has some of the worst textures I've seen, yet needs 5gb vram and 14gb ram wtf. Also on 1050ti 50fps till it starts raining then you get 25fps.
Will be waiting for deep sale or the game to run reasonable while looking like hot trash.

Surprised it's that bad, the RAM usage is through the roof.

That said, a 1050ti is a damn old card. Time to upgrade. I've heard the 4090 is pretty good.

Reactions: Werewolfgrandma
Surprised it's that bad, the RAM usage is through the roof.

That said, a 1050ti is a damn old card. Time to upgrade. I've heard the 4090 is pretty good.

I don't have the game. Just watching some vids. 1050ti is minimum spec, I have a 3060ti and I'm fine with it for now. I just don't support games that the minimum spec can't run 480p 30 locked haha.

• Funny

Jesus. Anybody running this on a 3070? Should i bother? Lol.

I've read 3070 owners had to turn down the resolution to 1080p or DLSS 1440p for 60fps

Not the end lf the world I guess. Thx. I have a 1440p monitor and have played some other games with DLSS. Though I really have no reason to buy this game for a third time lol. Plenty of other shit to play.

To be fair even more so than Resident Evil 4 Remake, the amount of graphic options are insane. No excuse for it launching like it has, but with time it will get to be a very good port. I suppose they could reign in the scope and deliver day 1, but if its a choice of the two I'll go with the former. Uncharted had its problems at launch, but they did deliver ultimately through patches.