Thread: The Commodore Amiga Thread

Inviyya was voted as Amiga game of the year on popular web site Indie Retro News.
It’s good on a technical level but very much one for the difficulty fetishists. I’m not sure it offers anything better than R-Type.

Another World released in 1991 by Delphine Software originally on the Commodore Amiga 500. The game was developed by Eric Chahi made use of 2D Polygons, Rotoscoping and Genlocks to bring its cinematic experience to life. Another World is considered one of the most influential games of all time. In this episode we take a deep dive on how the game was built and how it managed to run well on a stock 7mhz Amiga 500.

It’s good on a technical level but very much one for the difficulty fetishists. I’m not sure it offers anything better than R-Type.
I know the guy who created it (Munich's Amiga gamedev and demo scene is not that big) , and I am sure he would be fine with your assessment..
There are various videos on youtube of people who played through it on their first try, though.
And from my personal experience it's a very learnable and quite fair game.

Scourge of the Underkind - Gameplay Video (Amiga)​

Here was have the first 13 minutes of Scourge of the Underkind, including the loading screen and intro! I have been wanting to show this off for a while now and can finally do so! I was using a bezel in WinUAE and a screen filter which has caused some noise in this video (many apologies!! The game looks a lot better than this in the flesh)

I have also uploaded a video of the creation of the intro screen, a pixel-art timelapse featuring some of the music from Scourge for you to enjoy!

There are some minor tweaks to be made here and there but this is mostly how the finished game will play. Take note of how I play: I stay close to where the shop is during the opening minutes of the game, this enables me to gather some currency to then spend in the shop on weapons as you don't start off with very much. This is an important thing to take note of!

Going to be a great year for Amiga games! :D

By the way, snagged a Commodore 1942 monitor:

c1942_1_sm.jpg

But the image has a red tinge, probably one of the guns gone bad? Need to find a repair shop in the Melbourne area. Fingers crossed can get it fixed. They are rare as hens teeth in these parts.

UPDATED FEBRUARY 06**
- Fixed an issue with jumping whip attacks. Now it'll be easier to hit high candles.
- Press and Hold attack button to throw knives (when available), for those who don't have 3 buttons CD32 compatible pad.

JUMP: the higher jump added in February 03 update ruins the game for many people: it defeats the purpose of ladders, since you can simply jump to reach another floor.

Vanilla Conquer is a port of Command & Conquer (a.k.a. Command & Conquer: Tiberian Dawn or simply C&C/C&C1) for Amiga's equipped with Apollo/Vampire V4 PiStorm/Emu-68 accelerators.

The minimum requirements:
- 68020 14 MHz
- AGA chipset
- 1 MB Chip RAM
- 2 MB Fast RAM
- about 3 MB free disk space

TL;DR The target system is an A1200 with some Fast RAM, no CPU accelerator required. You need the Wolf3D 6-episode registered data files (*.WL6) except CONFIG.WL6.

Currently not supported, but planned:
- AdLib sounds and music
- EHB 64-color mode
- Spear of Destiny

The thing with the pistorm is really it’s not an Amiga. I have a lot of respect for people squeezing so much out of 68k hardware (inc 020/030/040/etc) but really plugging in a raspi and making that do all the hard work isn’t the same.

In this exclusive preview let’s boot up (& tear down) TheA500 Mini retro console prototype, see what it can do, if it's good or bad, & how this tiny incarnation of the Commodore Amiga 500 works! Not quite a review.

Hey all, welcome along to another video about the upcoming console The A500 Mini. Today We'll be having a look at the 25 games included with the console and checking out how magazines from th days they were released scored and reviewed them. It's attempt to see if they games included on the console were considered classics of their time. Join me as I find out just how well they scored, and if there are any rotten eggs!

Just posting Amiga Addict magazine's take on this..

AmigaAddict said:

Quoted to make this less painfully long on phones. In general they were enthusiastic (probably because they got a freebie unexpectedly), but there are some odd limitations. First up, this isn't using any kind of FPGA, or any real 68000 hardware. It's just a fairly standard ARM chip - it amounts to a Raspi with a custom launcher that fires up UAE for each game on the menu with whatever parameters attached, far as I can tell. You don't get Workbench, you don't get any productivity software, really it's not an Amiga, it's a console that plays some Amiga games.

Limitations include lack of wifi, and obviously the fake keyboard, but also you can't load ADF and HDF images, which is how most games and applications are packaged. You can use WHDLoad but there's not as much out tthere for that as you'd hope. FIrmware updates can be done with a USB stick so hopefully they'll update it that way and it'll be better.

The issue I have here is that the use case isn't obvious. I don't know who it's for. It physically models the machine well, which is lovely, but the keyboard doesn't work, rendering that modelling effort pointless. It can't load ADF or HDF files, and most Amiga enthusiasts will want to load those. I would argue most hardcore Amiga fans will either have an Amiga, or have configured a Raspi or MiSTer box to do the job. Some might be using WinUAE and might like something physical they can plug into the TV but they'd likely be put off by not being able to use their rom collection. I don't get it. Who's it for? As such it ends up being one of those stocking fillters you find in novelty shops - the joystick with 50 ancient Atari games that plugs into your TV, the little handheld Chinese thing that has fucked up versions of Mario 1-3 and 50 other fake Nintendo games, that kind of thing.

Btw if you like the mag, go buy it.

https://shop.amiga-addict.com/current-issue-and-subscriptions

In Australia, EB are sending a 4GB floppy disk shaped USB stick with pre-orders of the Mini.

The manual and game guides are up on the Retro Games site for the Mini. People will need it for Dragon's Breath.

There's also a bonus game available to download: Citadel. And it looks like more will be added.

Reactions: HariSeldon
Anybody emulated Amiga? I'm trying FS-UAE to play some adventure game. But loading is very slow, like it has trouble reading virtual floppy. Increased floppy speed to 800%, I think it got a little better, but not great.

I was putting stuff on the little floppy USB drive that came with it and thought I'd just put a few on to start with. There's 350+ games on it at the moment. Whoops. That will probably double.

The built in games load instantly. The WHDLoad games can be a little slower, but not that bad.

The control pad is quite nice. X is up, even on the WHDLoad games without needing to configure anything, although you can reconfigure it if you want to.

Good friend of mine rang me today to say he got his as well today. Seems pretty chuffed with it. Enjoy. But @HariSeldon has got me thinking of the Mister FPGA.
The MiSTer is fucking amazing tbh. Beautiful bit of kit. If you plan to use other computers or want to use serious software like Octamed or whatever, MiSTer is likely a better option.

• 100%
Reactions: Aarbron
The MiSTer is fucking amazing tbh. Beautiful bit of kit. If you plan to use other computers or want to use serious software like Octamed or whatever, MiSTer is likely a better option.

Well I got this arcade cabinet, one of those 2500 games in one thingies. Got it for my 40th. Its playing up, and I thought instead of sorting it, maybe replacing the internals with the Mister and hitting up said mate (the one who just got his mini Amiga) for a crt monitor. He's got a few. Mmmmmm.......

Reactions: HariSeldon