Thread: On This Day In Gaming History
Great thread idea!

October 9, 2007 - Folklore released for the PlayStation 3 in North America

oEE0Sn4.jpeg

On this day in gaming October 12, 2004

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne PS2

3jLCyuB.jpg

A HD remaster was released of it for the Switc, PS4 & PC earlier this year.

On this day in gaming October 12, 2005

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney NDS

KmuEzT0.jpg

Originally released on the GBA in Japan, the game became a lot bigger when it came out on the DS. The game and it's sequels and spinoffs have been released on a lot of different systems since then.

They are cool games. I prefer them on the DS but got them for the Switch too, and they are still good.

October 15, 2000 - Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver released for the Game Boy Color in North America

It was my favorite generation of Pokemon games, including Pokemon Crystal which released a year later that I played the most.

I remember being impressed by the new Pokemon designs and improved character/monster sprites during battles.

pokemon-gs-7.jpg

The games were remade as Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver for the Nintendo DS ten years later. The original versions were later ported to the Nintendo 3DS in 2017.

Last edited:
October 15, 2000 - Pokémon Gold and Pokémon Silver released for the Game Boy Color in North America

It was my favorite generation of Pokemon games, including Pokemon Crystal which released a year later that I played the most.

I remember being impressed by the new Pokemon designs and improved character/monster sprites during battles.

pokemon-gs-7.jpg

The games were remade as Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver for the Nintendo DS ten years later. The original versions were later ported to the Nintendo 3DS in 2017.

The last Pokemon game I played. That nostalgia!

Reactions: Vyse
2nd gen Pokémon games were such a huge leap in quality. Radio, phone calls with all kinds of people, day/night cycle, beautiful battle animations, intro animations for all pokémon in battle (crystal), much improved and varied graphics, superb music and last but definitely not least, getting the entire Kanto continent as a "bonus". That was honestly one of the most insane moments in video game history for me when that chap ran up to me and said "do you know what you just did? You took your firsts steps into Kanto! Check the map in your Pokégear." Almost made me cry out of sheer excitement.

October 17, 2006 - Bully (a.k.a. Canis Canem Edit) released for the PlayStation 2 in North America

It is one of my favorite Rockstar games. I always enjoyed the small town New England setting and all of the unique districts in Bullworth (particularly the asylum and industrial park). Bullworth Academy itself is pretty fun to explore too.

Fun fact: Mike Skupa, lead game designer for Bully, would go on to design Sleeping Dogs (from developer United Front Games), another favorite open world game!

October 17, 2006 - Bully (a.k.a. Canis Canem Edit) released for the PlayStation 2 in North America

It is one of my favorite Rockstar games. I always enjoyed the small town New England setting and all of the unique districts in Bullworth (particularly the asylum and industrial park). Bullworth Academy itself is pretty fun to explore too.

Fun fact: Mike Skupa, lead game designer for Bully, would go on to design Sleeping Dogs (under United Front Games), another favorite open world game!

I loved how Rockstar back then was not afraid to do some smaller and unconventional games like this or freaking table tennis.

Tomb Raider is 25-years-old today​

Lara Croft made her debut on October 25, 1996; Square Enix says next entry will unify timelines

8Vs5mxY.jpg

The Tomb Raider series is officially 25 years old today (October 25).

Although the adventures of Lara Croft didn’t begin on PlayStation or PC (the formats she was most commonly associated with) until mid-November, it was October 25, 1996 when she first set foot on gaming soil.

On that date, the first Tomb Raider was released on the Sega Saturn in Europe, roughly a month before it came to other formats and regions.

The classic action adventure game had Lara travelling to Peru, Greece, Egypt and Atlantis in search of an ancient artefact called the Scion.

Reaction to Tomb Raider was extremely positive at the time, mainly thanks to its genre-defining gameplay and its impressive polygonal visuals.

The real star, however, was Lara, who was an all-guns blazing hero in an era where female protagonists were few and far between.

Lara became a gaming icon almost overnight, appearing on the covers of non-gaming magazines and appearing in sponsorship deals for products like energy drink Lucozade.

The success of Tomb Raider led to an inevitable slew of sequels, the first few of which were similarly well-received. The likes of Tomb Raider II, Tomb Raider III and Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation were praised for continuing to push the technology of the time while adding to Lara’s lore.

When it came to climb up to the next generation, however, Lara struggled to find her footing. PS2 title Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness was criticised for its awkward controls and annoying stealth sections, and the series took a break for a few years as it looked like Lara fatigue was setting in.

In 2006, Crystal Dynamics took over development on the series and the trio of Tomb Raider Legend, Tomb Raider Anniversary and Tomb Raider Underworld were all met with a far more positive reaction than Lara’s previous outing.

It was her next return after another five-year break, however, that would prove to be Lara’s true rebirth as a character. The 2013 Tomb Raider reboot and its subsequent sequels Rise of the Tomb Raider and Shadow of the Tomb Raider were well-received action adventure games with a much grittier edge to them.

In a January video outlining its plans for the franchise’s 25th anniversary this year, Crystal Dynamics revealed that Lara Croft’s next adventure will “unify” the timelines in Core Design’s original Tomb Raider games and its own reboot trilogy, but warned fans not to expect it any time soon.

9tJJRRz.jpg

“We’ve got big ambitions for the future of Tomb Raider,” said Will Kerslake, Tomb Raider franchise game director at Crystal Dynamics. “Our origin trilogy back in 2013 told the story of Lara’s early days when she was forged into a survivor, became a hero and ultimately the Tomb Raider.

“But the classic games featured a seasoned and confident adventurer, travelling the world, unlocking its secrets, often standing alone against cataclysmic forces.

“We envision the future of Tomb Raider unfolding after these established adventures, telling stories that build upon the breadth of both Core Design’s and Crystal Dynamics’ games, working to unify these timelines,” Kerslake said.

“With Tomb Raider’s extensive history, this is not an easy task, and we ask for patience as we go through the development process. We don’t have plans for a major game announcement in the near future.”

Until then, players will have to satisfy their Lara fix with Tomb Raider Reloaded, a free-to-play action game for mobiles which is scheduled for release next year.

Source: VGC

Lara Croft made her debut on October 25, 1996; Square Enix says next entry will unify timelines

8Vs5mxY.jpg

Although the adventures of Lara Croft didn’t begin on PlayStation or PC (the formats she was most commonly associated with) until mid-November, it was October 25, 1996 when she first set foot on gaming soil.

On that date, the first Tomb Raider was released on the Sega Saturn in Europe, roughly a month before it came to other formats and regions.

The classic action adventure game had Lara travelling to Peru, Greece, Egypt and Atlantis in search of an ancient artefact called the Scion.

Reaction to Tomb Raider was extremely positive at the time, mainly thanks to its genre-defining gameplay and its impressive polygonal visuals.

The real star, however, was Lara, who was an all-guns blazing hero in an era where female protagonists were few and far between.

Lara became a gaming icon almost overnight, appearing on the covers of non-gaming magazines and appearing in sponsorship deals for products like energy drink Lucozade.

The success of Tomb Raider led to an inevitable slew of sequels, the first few of which were similarly well-received. The likes of Tomb Raider II, Tomb Raider III and Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation were praised for continuing to push the technology of the time while adding to Lara’s lore.

When it came to climb up to the next generation, however, Lara struggled to find her footing. PS2 title Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness was criticised for its awkward controls and annoying stealth sections, and the series took a break for a few years as it looked like Lara fatigue was setting in.

In 2006, Crystal Dynamics took over development on the series and the trio of Tomb Raider Legend, Tomb Raider Anniversary and Tomb Raider Underworld were all met with a far more positive reaction than Lara’s previous outing.

It was her next return after another five-year break, however, that would prove to be Lara’s true rebirth as a character. The 2013 Tomb Raider reboot and its subsequent sequels Rise of the Tomb Raider and Shadow of the Tomb Raider were well-received action adventure games with a much grittier edge to them.

In a January video outlining its plans for the franchise’s 25th anniversary this year, Crystal Dynamics revealed that Lara Croft’s next adventure will “unify” the timelines in Core Design’s original Tomb Raider games and its own reboot trilogy, but warned fans not to expect it any time soon.

9tJJRRz.jpg

“We’ve got big ambitions for the future of Tomb Raider,” said Will Kerslake, Tomb Raider franchise game director at Crystal Dynamics. “Our origin trilogy back in 2013 told the story of Lara’s early days when she was forged into a survivor, became a hero and ultimately the Tomb Raider.

“But the classic games featured a seasoned and confident adventurer, travelling the world, unlocking its secrets, often standing alone against cataclysmic forces.

“We envision the future of Tomb Raider unfolding after these established adventures, telling stories that build upon the breadth of both Core Design’s and Crystal Dynamics’ games, working to unify these timelines,” Kerslake said.

“With Tomb Raider’s extensive history, this is not an easy task, and we ask for patience as we go through the development process. We don’t have plans for a major game announcement in the near future.”

Until then, players will have to satisfy their Lara fix with Tomb Raider Reloaded, a free-to-play action game for mobiles which is scheduled for release next year.

R.I.P polygon titties

8Vs5mxY.jpg

9tJJRRz.jpg

What a great time that was. The first Tomb Raider had a very special atmosphere.

The sound chip in the Genesis resulted in some wonderful tunes. The hardware punched above its weight. The games had a different feel compared to NES and SNES, more arcade-like (a few of which were still around when the Genesis hit).

My neighbor up the street owned a Genesis, while the next door neighbor had an SNES. I had an NES and a PC. We all had handhelds.

Reactions: Bullet Club