Thread: The Callisto Protocol - Official Gameplay Reveal Trailer (Update: Hands-On Previews)

Kreese

Ensuring Transparency

Update

Original post

Striking Distance has said it’s planning to share more information about its upcoming horror game The Callisto Protocol soon.

Announced at The Game Awards in December 2020, The Callisto Protocol is the brainchild of Dead Space creator Glen Schofield, the former Sledgehammer Games and Visceral Games boss who was appointed CEO of new PUBG Corporation development studio Striking Distance in 2019.

Billed as “an original narrative experience in the PUBG universe”, The Callisto Protocol is a story-driven survival horror game set in a prison colony on Jupiter’s moon Callisto in the year 2320.

Little has been heard of the game since its original announcement, when it was scheduled for release in 2022, but comments from Schofield this week suggest that’s soon to change.

In February 2021, Striking Distance said it had partnered with Skybound Entertainment, the company behind The Walking Dead franchise, to turn The Callisto Protocol into a multimedia franchise.

Electronic ArtsMotive studio is currently working on a Dead Space remake. Last month, it shared over 20 minutes of new footage and confirmed an early 2023 release window.

Last edited:
Well. Color me surprised. Definitely looking forward to seeing more. Even though I need my dog(s) on the couch with me to play these types of games.
iu

Well. Color me surprised. Definitely looking forward to seeing more. Even though I need my dog(s) on the couch with me to play these types of games.

This image/concept of you sitting with the dogs on the couch is much funnier to me than it should be:

*terrifying thing happens* @and 3 others Dog: "Ruh-roh!"

Or one of the dogs puts his paws over your eyes during a scary part. Or over one of the other dog's eyes. There are endless amounts of funny scenarios here.

I'll definitely be getting this, I just hope it's less of a shooter than DS and more survival horror.

Either way, I'm sure I'll love it and be terrified. Such a shame what EA did to Visceral. What a waste.

This image/concept of you sitting with the dogs on the couch is much funnier to me than it should be:

*terrifying thing happens* @and 3 others Dog: "Ruh-roh!"

Or one of the dogs puts his paws over your eyes during a scary part. Or over one of the other dog's eyes. There are endless amounts of funny scenarios here.
It's more about them not making noise downstairs, or randomly barking and giving me a heart attack. ;)

Glen Schofield has spent the last several decades working with some of the biggest publishers on their most massive blockbusters. However, after leaving Activision, Sledgehammer Games, and the Call of Duty franchise behind a few years ago, he wanted to do something new – something uncompromised. The result is Striking Distance Studios, a new development studio Schofield founded alongside several industry veterans with whom he has worked throughout his illustrious career. While Schofield's most recent work is on the Call of Duty series, he's perhaps best known for his status as the creator of another beloved franchise: Dead Space.

With Striking Distance Studios' first game, the team capitalizes upon the expertise and experience of Schofield's team. The comparisons to Dead Space are unavoidable, but make no mistake: The Callisto Protocol is a different beast altogether. We witnessed exclusive, never-before-seen gameplay footage featuring our protagonist, Jacob Lee, trying to survive the terrors of Jupiter's second-larget moon and its suspicious prison. But that's not all; we also spent hours picking the brains of the sci-fi horror masters at Striking Distance Studios. In the story, you'll learn the origin tale of Striking Distance, the process by which it masterfully creates (and pays off) tension, and how the gameplay of The Callisto Protocol works.

cp-cover-reveal.jpg

346-reveal-full.jpg

_346_5_2022_coverstoryhub_v1.jpg

Looks like the
monsters are the thing/flood/necromorph tier abominations. Stuff of nightmares, though I stand by saying they should not be revealing the monsters so early.

Third screenshot is directly invoking Dead Space. Character even has a RIG hud on the back of their neck. I approve considering their experiance with said series.
Have to wonder now if this will be a stealth Dead Space 4. Probably not considering the allure of a new IP and it being somehow connected to PUGB? but I think its both less and more than a zero chance. If anything I see more resemblance to Dead Space then anything from a battle royal like I've heard about PUGB.

Last edited:
Reactions: regawdless
I doubt the game will be a 2022 release. Devs apparently have a free pass with COVID, so why not delay and give yourself more time.

Last edited:
  • Brain
Reactions: regawdless

In an extensive interview with Game Informer, with screenshots shared on Reddit, Schofield explained the game's basic story. Set 300 years in the future, protagonist Jacob Lee is forced to make his way through a prison on Jupiter's Callisto moon that's become overrun with all sorts of horrifying monsters.

Combat in The Callisto Protocol​

Lee is just an average cargo ship pilot so doesn't have any special training. Over the course of the game, he'll gather new weapons, but in the demo shown to Game Informer he's only equipped with a baton, a pistol, a shotgun, and a device called the GRP that lets players push and pull items (or enemies) across the environment.

A combination of every weapon at your disposal will often be needed to get through combat encounters with the gross, once-human monsters called Biophages and, according to design director Ben Walker, the player won't ever feel particularly powerful.

We want you to be afraid of single enemies," he said. "All these tools we built up for Jacob are to deal with the difficulty as opposed to coming at it from the end of, 'hey, you can kill all these cool things, now let's make some enemies'. We did it in reverse for that very reason. You feel scared, and you have to make the right calls at the right time."

Dead Space's Influence on The Callisto Protocol​

Dead Space — a space-based sci-fi horror game from 2008 that IGN said was great — was also created by Schofield and he was pretty open about pulling ideas directly from Dead Space. "I'm not going to shy away from a good idea because it was in one of my games," he said. "All game makers look at ideas from other games. Picasso said, 'good artists borrow, great artists steal'. Well, why not steal from myself?"

After leaving EA and Activision Schofield linked up with PUBG: Battlegrounds publisher Krafton, whose CEO Chang-Han Kim guaranteed Schofield "100% creative autonomy".

The Callisto Protocol's Connection to PUBG: Battlegrounds​

While the PUBG connection was confirmed soon after the game's reveal, Schofield shared more information on the two games' connection, saying that while it is technically the same universe, The Callisto Protocol is so far in the future that it doesn't really matter.

"The idea of us being in the universe at first sounded really good, and then as you start coming up with your story we realized, 'wow, this is a little out there,'" Schofield said. "We built in some touchpoints, and you'll find them throughout the game like Easter eggs and things like that."

UBG is known more for its Battle Royale gameplay than its story but publisher Krafton does have official lore and a timeline for the PUBG universe.

"They write this giant timeline and our writers are involved in helping," Schofield continued. "We sit on the timeline but we sit pretty far out there, and kind of alone. So if they ever make another game, let's say that's after our timeline, I would imagine our game will inform that more than we are being informed by their timeline."

The Callisto Protocol is set to be released this year. Coincidentally, EA is also working on a remake of the first Dead Space, something Schofield says is "weird" given that he's still working in the horror genre.

rzrrps2vuj191.jpg

efdpqs3vuj191.jpg

m4nbrm4vuj191.jpg

0dw85r5vuj191.jpg

q7czwv6vuj191.jpg

efyzwl7vuj191.jpg

kpyqud8vuj191.jpg

In an extensive interview with Game Informer, with screenshots shared on Reddit, Schofield explained the game's basic story. Set 300 years in the future, protagonist Jacob Lee is forced to make his way through a prison on Jupiter's Callisto moon that's become overrun with all sorts of horrifying monsters.

Combat in The Callisto Protocol​

Lee is just an average cargo ship pilot so doesn't have any special training. Over the course of the game, he'll gather new weapons, but in the demo shown to Game Informer he's only equipped with a baton, a pistol, a shotgun, and a device called the GRP that lets players push and pull items (or enemies) across the environment.

A combination of every weapon at your disposal will often be needed to get through combat encounters with the gross, once-human monsters called Biophages and, according to design director Ben Walker, the player won't ever feel particularly powerful.

We want you to be afraid of single enemies," he said. "All these tools we built up for Jacob are to deal with the difficulty as opposed to coming at it from the end of, 'hey, you can kill all these cool things, now let's make some enemies'. We did it in reverse for that very reason. You feel scared, and you have to make the right calls at the right time."

Dead Space's Influence on The Callisto Protocol​

Dead Space — a space-based sci-fi horror game from 2008 that IGN said was great — was also created by Schofield and he was pretty open about pulling ideas directly from Dead Space. "I'm not going to shy away from a good idea because it was in one of my games," he said. "All game makers look at ideas from other games. Picasso said, 'good artists borrow, great artists steal'. Well, why not steal from myself?"

After leaving EA and Activision Schofield linked up with PUBG: Battlegrounds publisher Krafton, whose CEO Chang-Han Kim guaranteed Schofield "100% creative autonomy".

The Callisto Protocol's Connection to PUBG: Battlegrounds​

While the PUBG connection was confirmed soon after the game's reveal, Schofield shared more information on the two games' connection, saying that while it is technically the same universe, The Callisto Protocol is so far in the future that it doesn't really matter.

"The idea of us being in the universe at first sounded really good, and then as you start coming up with your story we realized, 'wow, this is a little out there,'" Schofield said. "We built in some touchpoints, and you'll find them throughout the game like Easter eggs and things like that."

UBG is known more for its Battle Royale gameplay than its story but publisher Krafton does have official lore and a timeline for the PUBG universe.

"They write this giant timeline and our writers are involved in helping," Schofield continued. "We sit on the timeline but we sit pretty far out there, and kind of alone. So if they ever make another game, let's say that's after our timeline, I would imagine our game will inform that more than we are being informed by their timeline."

The Callisto Protocol is set to be released this year. Coincidentally, EA is also working on a remake of the first Dead Space, something Schofield says is "weird" given that he's still working in the horror genre.

rzrrps2vuj191.jpg

efdpqs3vuj191.jpg

m4nbrm4vuj191.jpg

0dw85r5vuj191.jpg

q7czwv6vuj191.jpg

efyzwl7vuj191.jpg

kpyqud8vuj191.jpg

Game looks amazing, and the dead space influence looks sick as hell. Starting to climb into my most anticipated games list.