Franky Family

Platforms
  1. Xbox
  2. PlayStation
  3. Nintendo
super-mario-bros-wonder-roster-ssbu.jpg

Summary

SMBW_scrn_Story_02.jpg

Classic Mario side-scrolling gameplay takes a creative leap in new directions with the addition of Wonder Flowers. Super Mario Bros. Wonder is a 2D sidescrolling platformer game that involves Mario and friends traversing from one side of the screen to the other past all the danger. With the help of Wonder Flowers, Power-Up abilities, and a newly implemented Badge system, Mario and the rest push past obstacles seeking to put an end to Bowser's latest reign of terror inflicted upon the Flower Kingdom.

Characters

Super-Mario-Bros-Wonder-playable-characters.jpg

Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, Princess Daisy, Blue Toad, Yellow Toad, Toadette, Yoshi, and Nabbit are all playable characters in Super Mario Bros. Wonder. Yoshi and Nabbit do not take any damage during the levels and are perfect for players just starting out.

Flower Kingdom

Super-Mario-Wonder-scaled.jpg

The Flower Kingdom is a neighboring kingdom of the Mushroom Kingdom, and is ruled by Prince Florian. One day while Prince Florian was welcoming his Mushroom Kingdom guests to the wondrous Flower Kingdom, King Bowser attacked and took over Prince Florian’s castle, not to mention the Flower Kingdom itself. There are six Petal Isles that center around the Flower Kingdom. Mario and the rest of the Mushroom Kingdom heroes will need to save all seven territories and defeat Bowser, King of the Koopas, if the Flower Kingdom is to return to its former glory and peaceful ways.

Ask the Developer

2250x1266_ATD_SMBW

202362218525577_1.jpg

Power Up

super-mario-bros-wonder-elephant-form-bubble-form-and-drill-form-mario.jpg

New power-up abilities include the Elephant Fruit, Bubble Flower, and Drill Mushroom. Eat the Elephant Fruit and you will become a massive elephant with the power to utilize a mighty elephant trunk. Bubble Flowers allows players to create and use bubbles as makeshift platforms. These dynamic bubbles are also capable of capturing enemies; drastically changing the way players can approach and tackle each level at various junctions. The Drill Mushroom is a highly versatile and advantageous power-up item that allows players to defeat pesky spiked enemies with ease, drill into terrain and breakable objects, as well as sneak past enemies while underground or even within the ceiling of difficult to reach places.

1.jpg

When playing offline, Super Mario Bros. Wonder allows up to four players locally to play co-op on the same system. When playing online, players can experience their adventures through the Flower Kingdom in completely new and unique ways. A total of 12 players can be seen on the World Map, and up to 4 players can be playing in each level. You can help other players by providing them with reserve items. You can even save defeated players and revive them if you have the ability to reach them in time while they are a ghost! Furthermore, there is a Heart Points scoring system that encourages teamwork to make it through levels with others. By reviving ghosts, gifting items to players in need, and reaching the goal post with your allies you can earn Heart Points. It's also possible to play both local co-op and online at the same time if you wish. For example, a you and a friend may enter online play with two others who will jump in alongside your duo as Live Player Shadows. They cannot interrupt or attack your playthrough on the level, the interactions are geared towards teamwork.

I’m playing with others online for the beginning levels, it’s a lot of fun. You’re able to check out these other players trying to complete the level, there are Standees which are pretty great considering they can revive you if you reach them or need them. Think I’ll hop off the online fairly soon until I complete the game, but this is neat. A second and third playthrough with friends or even randoms online is definitely in order one of these days

I the little intro sequence I love how Mario is invited to meet the ruler of another kingdom and when he gets there he's jumping around picking up loose change while Peach and Co are walking ahead.

(Muh Ludonarrative Dissonance!)

Then he's there 5 minutes and his arch nemesis shows up and absolutely destroys the place.

Worst party guest of all time.

The creativity in the level design so far is off the charts. From musical numbers to racing wigglers, this game aims to subvert your expectations at every opportunity.

At least as far as the first world goes, this is the best 2D Mario has been since wither SMB3 or World. If it can maintain this creativity and whimsy throughout the game, this could be a contender for best in the series.

Super Mario Bros Wonder is the best 2D Mario title since 1995's Yoshi's Island, dripping in creativity, joy and polish. John Linneman goes deep on this milestone Switch game, shares why he wasn't so keen on its New Super Mario Bros predecessors and reveals the four pillars of a great platformer... and how SMBW nails them all.

I’ll start my download shortly

I recall my first time playing EVERY Mario main entry game

I remember when I saw kids playing the first SMB in a local department store first time, and thinking "wow, that game look like shit".

That said, I really played and loved a lot of Mario games from SNES and onwards.
Looking forward playing this, but I think I will wait for the Switch 2 and hope for backwards compat.

Enjoying the levels much better than NSMB Wii U. Just beat the first boss and he was a piece of cake

Yeah, I probably wouldn't run into this expecting the Dark Souls of Super Mario Bros. games. There have been no truly difficult SMB games except for World 8 of SMB3, maybe. And you could even cheese those if you stockpiled good items. The real challenge of SMB games like SMW has been in unlocking all the secrets and stuff.

Reactions: DonDonDonPata
Yeah, I probably wouldn't run into this expecting the Dark Souls of Super Mario Bros. games. There have been no truly difficult SMB games except for World 8 of SMB3, maybe. And you could even cheese those if you stockpiled good items. The real challenge of SMB games like SMW has been in unlocking all the secrets and stuff.

This. The challenge in Mario games has always been in optional collectibles and post game content.

erryone knows the difficult levels come later, especially in the post game. NSMB U had some brutal extra levels. 😩 🙏

I love the little sound and animation touches. The little wiggles to get in and out of pipes, and the drum roll and cymbals on ground pounds are too perfect. These little bits of polish really top off a great game.

Can’t wait to play again, the Petal Isles look outstanding. And the concept of the game is a bonafide winner. SMBW feels like an instant classic already
This is because Nintento gave them unlimited dev time ♥️💙
Producer Takashi Tezuka and director Shiro Mouri were recently interviewed by Wired. In the interview, Tezuka revealed that Super Mario Bros. Wonder did not have any deadline during development. In fact, Tezuka says that “I wanted to prevent people from saying, ‘We won’t make that deadline, so that’s why we didn’t do it—we can’t do it”.
With the development team not stressed about meeting deadlines, it allowed them to make the game at their own pace and come up with lots of ideas on what the game could have. For example, Tezuka and Mouri asked the entire team for ideas on Wonder Flower effects, “regardless of what part of the game they were working on or how many years they’ve been working at Nintendo”. According to Mouri, they ended up receiving “probably over a thousand, 2,000 ideas”. This pool of ideas was eventually narrowed down, and they refined what they had.

This must be the best 2D Mario in a long long time and one of the most polished 2D platformers of all time.

Real classic gaming vibes. No enormous day one patch, no intrusive in-game purchases, a proper fun game.

Reminds me of picking up Super Mario Bros 3 and Super Mario World for the first time.

Absolute top quality.