Thread: STARFIELD |OT| No Man's Skyrim
Official Thread
So then, what's the consensus on this? Is this No Man's Sky with none of the fun parts of No Man's Sky and all the usual parts of Fallout/Skyrim?

So then, what's the consensus on this? Is this No Man's Sky with none of the fun parts of No Man's Sky and all the usual parts of Fallout/Skyrim?

I haven't played no man's sky so I can't answer that but I can tell you that this is one of my least favorite single player Bethesda games

Reactions: bonk

If you ask me, it's the worst parts of No Man's Sky and the worst parts of Fallout (done worse) combined into the biggest disappointment of the year. The visuals do look quite nice at times, though.

Reactions: bonk
The game is really struggling to run well on some big planets with lots of flora and fauna. I got 3 crashes on Jaffa III & now a crash that sent me back like 10 minutes on Hyla II. Before I open the menu I have to wait like a minute just to make sure everything is loaded so the games doesn't crash. Like wtf.

The game is really struggling to run well on some big planets with lots of flora and fauna. I got 3 crashes on Jaffa III & now a crash that sent me back like 10 minutes on Hyla II. Before I open the menu I have to wait like a minute just to make sure everything is loaded so the games doesn't crash. Like wtf.

What are your specs, have you tried to verifying the integrity of the files?

What are your specs, have you tried to verifying the integrity of the files?
I'm playing on the Xbox Series X. It's only happened on those 2 planets I mentioned, with Jaffa III being the worse. It's probably the console struggling with all the stuff. There's a lot happening on those planets, with a lot of animals everywhere. Thanks for asking though.

• Strength
Reactions: Explosive Zombie
I'm playing on the Xbox Series X. It's only happened on those 2 planets I mentioned, with Jaffa III being the worse. It's probably the console struggling with all the stuff. There's a lot happening on those planets, with a lot of animals everywhere. Thanks for asking though.
In the first two weeks of the game launched the game might bog down after using Quick Resume to let the game run for 15 or so hours. After forcing the game to shut down, and restarting every 10 hours it never did that to me again.

Not saying you never experienced what you experienced, but the worst bug I've seen was a bunch of mercs spanwning in the middle of a wall (and therefore on top of it) when boarding a ship. A quick grav wave (1st power you get) popped them back into the play area.

• Brain
Reactions: John Matrix
It took me 20 hours before I stopped saying "this whole thing is meh". Oblivion in Space is pretty freaking awesome. I was the biggest negative bitch thinking this would flop and I totally eat crow. GotY I dunno Nominee absolutely. Could see this year being a tie between several different games/genres respectfully and deservedly so.

It took me 20 hours before I stopped saying "this whole thing is meh". Oblivion in Space is pretty freaking awesome. I was the biggest negative bitch thinking this would flop and I totally eat crow. GotY I dunno Nominee absolutely. Could see this year being a tie between several different games/genres respectfully and deservedly so.
It definitely took me a few hours before I stopped trying to shoehorn my expectations into the gameplay loop, and just let the game speak for itself. It won't be GOTY this year thanks to BG3 and Zelda, but there have been plenty of years Starfield would have taken the prize.

I do think the game will be looked at much more fondly than "7/10 trash" in a year or so after we lnow what the DLC looks like and the release of the Creation Kit.

Glad you are enjoying it. Despite making the OT personally I'd probably lean towards BG3 as GoTY over it, however I think Bethesda certainly made a fun ride and I've been very much enjoying my time with it, though I do agree that it takes a while before things click into place.

It definitely took me a few hours before I stopped trying to shoehorn my expectations into the gameplay loop, and just let the game speak for itself. It won't be GOTY this year thanks to BG3 and Zelda, but there have been plenty of years Starfield would have taken the prize.

I do think the game will be looked at much more fondly than "7/10 trash" in a year or so after we know what the DLC looks like and the release of the Creation Kit.

Yeah I think it's going to be interesting to see how BGS builds on it with future DLC. Hopefully, they'll look to revisit the core game and evolve it versus simply adding storyline expansions.

Reactions: Nobel 6
Other than the standard beth item weight complaints - different ammos means wantinting assortment of guns, and craftimg/research system has me feelimg i need -every- resource i find, and the food being pointless 3hp yay

What i really want though is the NMS high speed travel for going between planets.
We went from "ser that mountain youbcan walk there" to see that planet... i mean i guess you can point that way and go to bed, or just you know fast travel

• Brain
Reactions: Kadayi
Just finished the game! Overall I give it a solid 8.5 out of 10. Is Starfield the game I dreamt it was going to be? No it was not, but I still had a blast with it and I also see the future potential that awaits. I really liked the ending and I wouldn't change any of my choices.

I shall be back when the expansion comes out or maybe I'll give it a couple of years before diving back in. Unto the Starfield gents.

I am holding off for the next patch so I can use DLSS. I don't want to use the mod one and I am hoping there will be decent performance increases with the patch. Plus, so many other games on the go atm.

Gotta say I'm surprised that some of you are saying that No Man's Sky is still better than Starfield. Did Bethesda really drop the ball here or is there a chance they can improve upon it like Hello Games did with their title after it's disastrous release?

• Brain
Reactions: Kadayi
Gotta say I'm surprised that some of you are saying that No Man's Sky is still better than Starfield. Did Bethesda really drop the ball here or is there a chance they can improve upon it like Hello Games did with their title after it's disastrous release?

The game is a piece of shit. First Bethesda game I won't be putting 200 hours into at the least.

It's better at what it does. I don't really like what it does, though, but Starfield's version of it (randomly generated planets and content, laser gun resource gathering, building crap and crafting) is just done way worse.

• Brain
Reactions: GreyHorace
It's better at what it does. I don't really like what it does, though, but Starfield's version of it (randomly generated planets and content, laser gun resource gathering, building crap and crafting) is just done way worse.
So it's just like Mass Effect 1 again? Actually, that's something I also read regarding Starfield, that the first Mass Effect is still a much better game. Like damn.

So it's just like Mass Effect 1 again? Actually, that's something I also read regarding Starfield, that the first Mass Effect is still a much better game. Like damn.

I might just not be cut out for this kind of game because replaying Mass effect recently it just does not hold up. It does have a much better story than Starfield though and better characters.

I think the minute to minute combat gameplay is much more satisfying in Starfield than any of the Mass Effect games (although that's not saying much), but I vastly preferred the story and universe of Mass Effect. In my opinion, Starfield's universe and story is incoherent nonsense in comparison.

But yeah, in terms of structure, it is quite similar to Mass Effect in that you point and click on a galaxy map to visit various locations and do various quests and sidekick missions.

• Brain
Reactions: GreyHorace
I think it doesn't help Starfield's longevity that the companions are some of the weakest I can recall in Bethesda's history. They are all the same cookie cutter generic good guys bar perhaps Andreja who is more neutral.

I get that Constellation wouldn't be hiring pirates or murderers, but some variation in opinion would be nice.

I think it doesn't help Starfield's longevity that the companions are some of the weakest I can recall in Bethesda's history. They are all the same cookie cutter generic good guys bar perhaps Andreja who is more neutral.

I get that Constellation wouldn't be hiring pirates or murderers, but some variation in opinion would be nice.

The only one that had any personality was the Han Solo-like black dude.

Oh trust me she's a goody two shoes as well I thought she was going to be a little more three-dimensional but nope

Oh trust me she's a goody two shoes as well I thought she was going to be a little more three-dimensional but nope

That's a shame. Feel as though this game should have been a tap-in for MS/Bethesda but it largely fails to live up to its huge potential. I do hope we'll get there with expansions.

I haven't played Starfield, but NMS was so boring. How could that be better?

It attempts the procedural generation aspect of NMS and is pretty successful at it where it counts. However:

- it's exploration aspect pales in comparison to NMS. There's no "wonder" or sense of immersion.

- it's space flight is wholesale inferior. NMS being in your ship enables freedom. In Starfield, it's simply access to a map and loading screens. NMS you can actually fly to planets as the player, land on them, or fly in the atmosphere. You cannot do any of these things in Starfield.

- You can get capital ships in NMS. Some pretty big stuff. None of that in Starfield.

- it's been a bit, so my memory could be off, but I think the base building in NMS is also better.

But other then that typical Bethesda RPG stuff. Though in my opinion the perks and weapons were all way better in FO4 and Skyrim. Kinda bland and pointless in Starfield.

• This tbh
Reactions: Explosive Zombie
Started the game today, played till I landed in New Atlantis.

It's not bad, but .... this game looks and feels as if it's a good 10 years too late. If this was an early Xbox One/PS4-title, it'd be alright. But now, after Cyberpunk 2077? Oof. Very old graphics, and gameplay is ... so basic. Presentation is the worst, though. Bethesda must have not a single cutscene director, because there's no sense for a cinematic presentation at all. Always talking with npcs from a stiff, full-frontal view.

I'll keep playing, but compared to the maaaaassive hype this game received prior to release, it's a rather huge letdown.

Reactions: Zefah
Started the game today, played till I landed in New Atlantis.

It's not bad, but .... this game looks and feels as if it's a good 10 years too late. If this was an early Xbox One/PS4-title, it'd be alright. But now, after Cyberpunk 2077? Oof. Very old graphics, and gameplay is ... so basic. Presentation is the worst, though. Bethesda must have not a single cutscene director, because there's no sense for a cinematic presentation at all. Always talking with npcs from a stiff, full-frontal view.

I'll keep playing, but compared to the maaaaassive hype this game received prior to release, it's a rather huge letdown.

The game takes 20+ hours to get good, you are barely 2 hours in. Its not my favorite game ever made, but it is in my top 25,. Reading this thread I'd hope you'd see there is a very clear point where the vast majority of people go from "man this is a disappointment.." to "Oh my god, this game just clicked and this is dammmn good".

Its a huge failing on Bethesda's part to make the games first 20 hours so bad. I'm on my 2nd play through and its even worse the 2nd time around.