Thread: SoulsBorneKiroRing-Like Games |OT| Yes the name will expand with the next FROM game. Suffering is a part of life.
Official Thread

regawdless

hare-assment

Platforms
  1. PC
soulsbkrk0dv9.jpeg

Welcome! With the popularity of Dark Souls, a whole new genre came to life. The so called "Souls-Like" games. With evolution being a thing, the name naturally evolved as well, which is in no way totally annoying and dumb, instead is very important and accurate. Here's an overview of the history and what games influenced the first Souls game, Demon's Souls.

soulslikelqe96.jpeg

Since then, a lot of games straight up tried to copy the formula or were heavily inspired by it. Here are some of the most popular Souls-like games:

- Remnant of the Ashes
- Star Wars Jedi Survivor & Fallen Order
- The Surge
- Salt & Sanctuary
- Hyper Light Drifter
- Code Vein
- Thymesia
- Sundered
- Dead Cells
- Mortal Shell
- Nioh
- Blasphemous
- Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty
- Hollow Knight
- Lords of the Fallen

And of course there are some interesting upcoming Souls-likes, for example:

- Lies of P
- Blasphemous 2
- Black Myth Wukong
- THE Lords of the Fallen
- Hollow Knight: Silksong
- Flintlock: The Siege of Dawn
- Enotria: The Last Song

So here's the place to talk about all the Souls-likes that don't get their own OT, or older ones that you're playing. Happy dying!

And always remember:

7gcssbuvucoq.gif

Shout out to @DonDonDonPata who had the idea for this thread.​

Great thread! Most recent game in this genre I finished was Steelrising. I still need to beat Elden Ring.

So... dodging with invul frames, or parrying, or blocking? Which style of defense do you gravitate toward in the genre?

What’s the easiest and shortest soulslike?

Really depends on the kind of game you want to play. Tunic has some Souls elements, as does Star Wars Jedi Survivor. Remnant of the Ashes 2 can be played in coop for example, making it easier for you if you have competent allies. But I found that all the Souls like games don't come close to FROMs brilliance here. In the Star Wars games, I found the Souls elements to be annoying and for me, they'd work better as classic games with checkpoints.

If we take FROM games only, Elden Ring is the easiest because you have a lot of freedom and can explore a lot of the game the way you want to, and bosses can be conquered coop as well.

Really depends on the kind of game you want to play. Tunic has some Souls elements, as does Star Wars Jedi Survivor. Remnant of the Ashes 2 can be played in coop for example, making it easier for you if you have competent allies. But I found that all the Souls like games don't come close to FROMs brilliance here. In the Star Wars games, I found the Souls elements to be annoying and for me, they'd work better as classic games with checkpoints.

If we take FROM games only, Elden Ring is the easiest because you have a lot of freedom and can explore a lot of the game the way you want to, and bosses can be conquered coop as well.

I just want try a game with souls combat that won’t waste my time with one hit deaths, losing hours of progress, and other getgooderry

I just want try a game with souls combat that won’t waste my time with one hit deaths and other getgooderry

Then I'd say the genre isn't for you tbh. Because the gitguderry is an essential part of the game design in every aspect, and very important for the combat to work as well as it does. The core gameplay evolves around the player learning the rules, adapting to the world and the enemies, learning the mechanics and how to use the items in various ways to become more effective, overcoming the challenges. If you remove that, it's not a Souls-like anymore.

It's like saying give me a good strategy game but one where I don't have to think or plan anything.

I just want try a game with souls combat that won’t waste my time with one hit deaths, losing hours of progress, and other getgooderry

Steelrising is easier than most of the rest on the standard difficulty. It also comes with generous difficulty tweaks:

Assist-Mode-in-Steelrising-Assist-Mode.jpg

At its core it is very faithful to the Soulsborne formula, from the combat to the level design. You'd get a representative experience in all the areas that matter -- exploration, character upgrades, pace of combat -- and then you could dip your toes in more difficult games in the genre if you wanted.

Steelrising took me 29hrs to beat, including the DLC. That's short for a Souls game.

It's one of those genres where you gradually see similar tricks and solutions across the different games. You don't have to Git Gud at each and every game from scratch. Your skills and meta knowledge build between the games, even games in different franchises from different companies. They're all following a similar formula. The first two or three games you play will be grueling if you don't normally play these obtuse games.

• Brain
Reactions: HE1NZ
Great thread! Most recent game in this genre I finished was Steelrising. I still need to beat Elden Ring.

So... dodging with invul frames, or parrying, or blocking? Which style of defense do you gravitate toward in the genre?

From all the games, I liked the Bloodborne dodge the most. Don't like the dumb rolling much, often don't like being forced to parry. I like mobility and a focus on distance management, going in and out.
The ability "Bloodhounds Step" in Elden Ring was awesome, and turned out to be a game changer for me. Sekiro with it's heavy parry focus made it my least favorite FROM game.

Then I'd say the genre isn't for you tbh. Because the gitguderry is an essential part of the game design in every aspect, and very important for the combat to work as well as it does. The core gameplay evolves around the player learning the rules, adapting to the world and the enemies, learning the mechanics and how to use the items in various ways to become more effective, overcoming the challenges. If you remove that, it's not a Souls-like anymore.

It's like saying give me a good strategy game but one where I don't have to think or plan anything.

I think they're probably not as hard as they say. Sounds like 3D metroidvania tbh. But I only play one game at a time and feel like it's going to be a hassle and too much work finishing them.

Steelrising is easier than most of the rest on the standard difficulty. It also comes with generous difficulty tweaks:

At its core it is very faithful to the Soulsborne formula, from the combat to the level design. You'd get a representative experience in all the areas that matter -- exploration, character upgrades, pace of combat -- and then you could dip your toes in more difficult games in the genre if you wanted.

Steelrising took me 29hrs to beat, including the DLC. That's short for a Souls game.

It's one of those genres where you gradually see similar tricks and solutions across the different games. You don't have to Git Gud at each and every game from scratch. Your skills and meta knowledge build between the games, even games in different franchises from different companies. They're all following a similar formula. The first two or three games you play will be grueling if you don't normally play these obtuse games.

30 hours still sounds a lot.

I think they're probably not as hard as they say. Sounds like 3D metroidvania tbh. But I only play one game at a time and feel like it's going to be a hassle and too much work finishing them.

the games aren't "hard" and they don't have to be fully mastered in order to beat em. You just have to be willing to meet the game on its own terms and find the tricks that suit you. Running away from or running through groups of enemies works a lot more than you'd think... spamming certain long range melee weapons and/or projectile weapons works a lot more than you'd think... loading up on certain inventory items and throwing bombs/knives/whatever at enemies works a lot more than you'd think... until suddenly you encounter a situation where these trick don't work and the game "walls" you. Then you learn new exploits and tricks and keep going.

That is the genre in a nutshell, actually.

30 hours still sounds a lot.

I squeezed my playtime out of that run, though. If you played the base game (minus DLC) and didn't do all the sidequests, it could easily be finished in 15 hours.

Either way, the Souls action games are all very long compared to a typical action game, they are more like RPGs in that respect. Even 30 hours is a fairly short playthrough. When I played through Sekiro for the first time, that took me 85 or so hours. Then I beat it again on New Game+ and that took less than 20 hours to go through the game and get another ending. Had a blast on that second playthrough... it felt like one long victory lap. Other fans of the genre can attest to similar experiences.

• Brain
Reactions: HE1NZ
Soulslike infleunce form Demon Souls has seen some of the best, most atmospheric games ever made in Dark Souls, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Elden Ring and having influence for Sekero Shadows Die Twice. What I've seen people say about Dark Souls 2, it is both the best and worst game at the same time in the Dark Souls trilogy.

Not to mention action like Nioh, Nioh 2 which some people call one of the best action games period, and Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty which is getting steady patches and may be a lot improved now.

Or more casual games like God of War: Dad Edition Duology and Jedi Fallen Order/Survivor.

Massive Indie game hits like Hollow Knight, Remnant From the Ashes/Remnent II, Blasphemous 1/2, Salt and Sanctuary, Astergos which I am also hearing good things about also.

Souls has been incredible both in their ambition and influence.

Though I have to wonder what the chart of games influenced by Ocarina of Time looks like. Majora's Mask and evey following 3D Zelda and 2D Zelda, ICO, Prince of Persia, Assassin's'' Creeed and in turn Batman Arkham Asylum, then separately Demon Souls in turn and every Soul like in turn.

Mind boggling.

From all the games, I liked the Bloodborne dodge the most. Don't like the dumb rolling much, often don't like being forced to parry. I like mobility and a focus on distance management, going in and out.
The ability "Bloodhounds Step" in Elden Ring was awesome, and turned out to be a game changer for me. Sekiro with it's heavy parry focus made it my least favorite FROM game.

I'd have to agree that BB has the best dodge.

Sekiro is my favorite so far, though I have not yet given Elden Ring its due. I am intentionally playing ER like Dark Souls and not like Sekiro and I'm enjoying it a lot that way. The pace in ER feels very free-form and dangerous, all the time everywhere, a living adventure.

Anyway, if BB is like Souls but with refined combat, then Sekiro is like BB with even more refined combat. The skillset in Sekiro felt like a genuine "Batman Bloodtinge Hunter" compared to BB's more rudimentary toolset, especially with all the grappling and surprise attack stuff. I still love BB. I've definitely sunk the most hours and the most playthroughs into BB out of all the games. Slowly Sekiro is overtaking BB in terms of total hours and playthroughs, though. Really wish they gave it one hefty DLC before packing it up.

Also I wish FROM didn't give up on Bloodborne's Chalice Dungeon mechanic in the subsequent games. With the huge uptick in roguelites nowadays, seems like one large missing aspect of the Souls games is some kind of randomized infinite dungeon mode to keep playing long after you've gotten bored with New Game+++++

The fact Bloodborne has never had a patch to improve its FPS, nevermind a proper remaster/remake on ps4/ps5 is one of the more mind boggling decisions. Seen people say similar for Sekero never getting a full expansion.

And here I learned that Steelrising is a Souls-type game. Wasn't really difficult. I find it more akin to Nier.

• Brain
Reactions: DonDonDonPata
The fact Bloodborne has never had a patch to improve its FPS, nevermind a proper remaster/remake on ps4/ps5 is one of the more mind boggling decisions. Seen people say similar for Sekero never getting a full expansion.
I have nearly 400 hours played in Bloodborne, and I honestly never felt the frame rate sucking UNTIL I hopped into it a couple days ago, fresh off the heels of playing Demon's Souls Remastered. I was like WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS. I don't think I'll ever be the same.

I have nearly 400 hours played in Bloodborne, and I honestly never felt the frame rate sucking UNTIL I hopped into it a couple days ago, fresh off the heels of playing Demon's Souls Remastered. I was like WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS. I don't think I'll ever be the same.

It didn't feel great during my playthrough, but it was fine because I didn't play anything else. But then I bought a PC, got used to 60fps+... and then the Bloodborne DLC hit. I bought it day one, jumped back in and fuck me, I couldn't play the game. The performance was horrible, unplayable. Never even started the DLC because only running around for some seconds made me quit.

Reactions: Haxan7
And here I learned that Steelrising is a Souls-type game. Wasn't really difficult. I find it more akin to Nier.

yeah that's fair. I saw a ton of similarities to Souls even down to smashing barrels and crates littered everywhere, but it's similar to Nier in a lot of ways too

Reactions: p_xavier
It didn't feel great during my playthrough, but it was fine because I didn't play anything else. But then I bought a PC, got used to 60fps+... and then the Bloodborne DLC hit. I bought it day one, jumped back in and fuck me, I couldn't play the game. The performance was horrible, unplayable. Never even started the DLC because only running around for some seconds made me quit.

Now that you mention it. I think this waa my problem as well. Did 3 playthroughs, started a 4th but never finished it. Went back when the dlc dropped and I just couldn't get into the game for nothing. Something just felt completely off for me.

not to be nitpicking bitch but Would you consider hollow knight a souls like? I'd rather see it as a metroidvania. Blasphemous I'm okay with.

the original 3d souls likes from FROM I just suck at and am not playing them. Although it's the best fantasy world I've ever seen. Love dark fantasy shit.

Interesting thread and I love the chart to basically explain what was just any given day in the 8 bit era (or prior to consoles, the arcade Asteroids and Missile Command looking at you directly). You had to "Git Gud" to play any of the games and it wasn't until the advent of Nintendo adding batteries to games like Zelda that revolutionized what "Git Gud" really meant. Similarly to codes where you could start at a level with most of your items/ammo/cash equipped evolving to a full on carbon copy of the exact minute of your play session with modern programing and hardware advances.

I am still chuckling at Crazy Climber being used as an example of the origins of this genre, only because Ice Climber wasn't any real stand-out game besides just being polished for the time. That being, not buggy, had a defined game loop and focus on what achieving inside the game and it's expectations (Bomber Man could be put in place for the same reason). As both Space Invaders and Elevator Action (Arcade shout-outs, once again) are both mentioned, rightfully so based on the metrics identified, I could swap out a myriad of games that fit. Jumpman is one such game where if you don't "Git Gud", you will never progress through the levels.

My comment is not a critique of the thread, rather, it is a knowingly smile towards the younger generation of gamers who don't understand that there is a whole generation of gamers who only got gud before the concept was rediscovered and then laughed at those who lamented through the gnashing of teeth wanting walking simulators or "journalist" modes.

Hats off to you OP, I love that "Git Gud" is akin to curse words, because the anger it riles in those who feel slighted by that reality deserve to learn that lesson.

Last edited:
Reactions: regawdless
not to be nitpicking bitch but Would you consider hollow knight a souls like? I'd rather see it as a metroidvania. Blasphemous I'm okay with.

the original 3d souls likes from FROM I just suck at and am not playing them. Although it's the best fantasy world I've ever seen. Love dark fantasy shit.

I googled the best Souls likes, and Hollow Knight came up on every site. So I wrote it down.

Can't say to what degree it qualifies as a SoulsBorneKiroRing-like because I didn't play it much. What Souls mechanics does it have?

Reactions: Eneru
I googled the best Souls likes, and Hollow Knight came up on every site. So I wrote it down.

Can't say to what degree it qualifies as a SoulsBorneKiroRing-like because I didn't play it much. What Souls mechanics does it have?

It's the combat, bosses and needing to get your shit back when you die. It's structured like a Metroidvania on a 2D plane but it has the difficulty of Souls games especially if you try and do all the optional bosses and shit.

I want to add, that I don't view anyone here for complaining about "Git Gud", I know you are all enthusiasts and understand/appreciate more difficult games if that is your jam.

• 100%
Reactions: DonDonDonPata

I mean if the Internet lists it they're probably more right than I am. Some would say that Hollow Knight is a metroidvania (though you have to get your 'soul' back if you die) because it has those typical elements of a metroidvania like 'enhancing' your character as you progress in the game, means having a double jump, dash, etc. 'maze'-like structure of the world, lots of platforming and so on and so forth. That's why I was asking. Blasphemous is more like a souls like, with no progress, compared to other metroidvanias hard bosses, your character doesn't learn new moves just other attacks...

But yeah fuck it, I shouldn't have started this discussion, because I think it leads to nothing and I didn't want to go off-topic. Genres are melting and fusing and diverging and shit's fluid. So just leave it where it is now and we're good.

I mean if the Internet lists it they're probably more right than I am. Some would say that Hollow Knight is a metroidvania (though you have to get your 'soul' back if you die) because it has those typical elements of a metroidvania like 'enhancing' your character as you progress in the game, means having a double jump, dash, etc. 'maze'-like structure of the world, lots of platforming and so on and so forth. That's why I was asking. Blasphemous is more like a souls like, with no progress, compared to other metroidvanias hard bosses, your character doesn't learn new moves just other attacks...

But yeah fuck it, I shouldn't have started this discussion, because I think it leads to nothing and I didn't want to go off-topic. Genres are melting and fusing and diverging and shit's fluid. So just leave it where it is now and we're good.

I don't think it's off topic tbh. I mean fuck that, it's my thread so I'll simply declare it not being off topic.

I think it's a fair and interesting discussion. I see some of these games as Metroidvanias and personally don't like them being catergorized as Souls games simply because they copied the dying mechanic.

Probably my greatest gaming sin.

I have never managed to beat a souls game or soul like (only Jedi Fallen Order) though I admit Dark Souls Prepare to Die, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Nioh, Nioh 2, Elden Ring have some of the most incredible sense of progression, atmosphere and premises in all gaming. Too frustrating and difficult to be honest. Grew up on RTS like Age of Empires, Red Alert 2, Stronghold, action adventure like Ocarina of Time and later RPGs like Kotor, Jade Empire and Mass Effect. Never developed the reactions to take on the stuff you find in the souls genre. There are just points in those games I can't advance past. Must have died to that cat boss in Nioh between 100-200 times. Remnant II is the latest, beat the Red Prince whos fight was truly epic, but now can't get past night weaver who has multiple homing attacks that just melt my health, near impossible to dodge homing grab and knockdown attack and I usually have nothing in health or ammo by the time I force her into her part 2.

• Cheers

I have never managed to beat a souls game or soul like (only Jedi Fallen Order) though I admit Dark Souls Prepare to Die, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Nioh, Nioh 2, Elden Ring have some of the most incredible sense of progression, atmosphere and premises in all gaming. Too frustrating and difficult to be honest. Grew up on RTS like Age of Empires, Red Alert 2, Stronghold, action adventure like Ocarina of Time and later RPGs like Kotor, Jade Empire and Mass Effect. Never developed the reactions to take on the stuff you find in the souls genre.

how is that a gaming sin? Not every game is for every one. I've played nearly every Final Fantasy plus spinoff since the series' inception, yet I've only bothered to beat... maybe 2 or 3 of the games?

If/when these games become painful and frustrating, look up a guide before giving up entirely. These games can be cheesed and min/maxed, but the ways to do so aren't obvious. I don't know if the folks who've given up on these games were trying to do it all on their own without help, or if they've been told looking up solutions is the "wrong" way to play, not really sure. Personally, I play these games solo 90 percent of the time, with no online component. I try to figure things out but I've also looked up plenty of wiki entries and guides to figure more things out.

The more I play the genre, the more I realize this genre is about meta knowledge, not reflexes or "skill". The true Souls experience is "Git Smart", not "Git Gud". Some people really love grinding on the game to figure it out for themselves, but I think the games are most enjoyable when you've passed the hump and you can whomp on 4/5ths of enemy encounters. So if you have to look stuff up to reach that fun point, I say go for it.

Quick EDIT: oh and some people play the game with the hopes of getting as close to 100 percent on their first run, or something of the sort. I think these games are spoiled by FOMO. Just try the ones you like and if you fall in love with one, repeated playthroughs will feel like a lot of fun. Some of the Soulsborne games I've never bothered to beat. Some I've only beaten once. Some I've beaten more than 5 times.

I have never managed to beat a souls game or soul like (only Jedi Fallen Order) though I admit Dark Souls Prepare to Die, Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, Nioh, Nioh 2, Elden Ring have some of the most incredible sense of progression, atmosphere and premises in all gaming. Too frustrating and difficult to be honest. Grew up on RTS like Age of Empires, Red Alert 2, Stronghold, action adventure like Ocarina of Time and later RPGs like Kotor, Jade Empire and Mass Effect. Never developed the reactions to take on the stuff you find in the souls genre. There are just points in those games I can't advance past. Must have died to that cat boss in Nioh between 100-200 times. Remnant II is the latest, beat the Red Prince whos fight was truly epic, but now can't get past night weaver who has multiple homing attacks that just melt my health, near impossible to dodge homing grab and knockdown attack and I usually have nothing in health or ammo by the time I force her into her part 2.

In the Souls games, did you try summoning like two other players? If you get competent players, you can play very defensively or even hide while they kill the boss. I often saw the host taking the back seat for the summons to kill the boss.

• Brain
Reactions: Zeta Dragoon
In the Souls games, did you try summoning like two other players? If you get competent players, you can play very defensively or even hide while they kill the boss. I often saw the host taking the back seat for the summons to kill the boss.
I attempt solo, had a lot of very bad experience with multiplayer first on battlenet and later warthunder.

I attempt solo, had a lot of very bad experience with multiplayer first on battlenet and later warthunder.

When playing any Souls game and struggling with a boss, don't hesitate to summon online help. Most players do it and it's basically the "easy mode" for the bosses, but there's really no shame in using it. It's fun to conquer bosses in coop. Also removes a lot of frustration from the experience.

Caved in and bought the Digital Deluxe version of Lies of P. The demo was damn good, so I'm very confident in the game. I just want that one costume and like to support the devs, so it's a no brainer for me.

72h Early Access BS included.

Another game riding that 'souls' train

f2p online, so take that for what it is. However, all the essentials of the genre are here. Strong Elden Ring and Dragon's Dogma vibes