Thread: HBO working on Harry Potter-reboot TV-show, one season equals one school year at Hogwarts
Hype Thread

Will "muh diversity" ruins this?

• I'd bet all my Arielles and Pinoccios on it, yes

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • It's HBO, so it might turn out alright. Draco Malfoy might be gay for Harry, though

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • No, Rowling will make sure that this is 100% to her vision of her work

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters
"Involved in decision making" is not "Has absolute final say in everything." Unless I am mistaken?

Actually, she absolutely does. She famously has one of the most impressively water tight contracts in regards to creative control out there.

Doesn’t mean she won’t let a bunch of leftists make DEI changes ‘for the greater good’, or that she’ll care enough to check about every minor detail, but she absolutely has to sign off on anything before it can get made, and is very protective of her IP and what is allowed to have the official Wizarding World seal of approval.

Actually, she absolutely does. She famously has one of the most impressively water tight contracts in regards to creative control out there.

Doesn’t mean she won’t let a bunch of leftists make DEI changes ‘for the greater good’, or that she’ll care enough to check about every minor detail, but she absolutely has to sign off on anything before it can get made, and is very protective of her IP and what is allowed to have the official Wizarding World seal of approval.
Cursed Child and Secrets of Dumbledore were both greenlit. Both of which are franchise killer levels of shit (Fantastic Beasts movies are currently canned, and Cursed Child will need to be retconned if the timeframe post HP series is ever explored without alienating the fanbase as Game of Thrones and Star Wars managed.)

Still JK Rowling having final say gives me a bit of hope for the new TV series, just a bit.

Cursed Child and Secrets of Dumbledore were both greenlit. Both of which are franchise killer levels of shit (Fantastic Beasts movies are currently canned, and Cursed Child will need to be retconned if the timeframe post HP series is ever explored without alienating the fanbase as Game of Thrones and Star Wars managed.)

Still JK Rowling having final say gives me a bit of hope for the new TV series, just a bit.

How could both be franchise killer levels of shit if neither killed the franchise?

She wrote those Fantastic Beasts films right? And I seem to recall that she was quite involved in the Cursed Child process. Like @Stilton Disco said she's always been very hands-on with what's done with that world. Even when they were making the first film, when she had a lot less leverage than she does now, she laid out certain criteria that they had to meet, like the cast all be British. That's why they had to turn down Robin Williams' offer to play Hagrid. I believe she's also talked about turning down a bunch of merchandise ideas she didn't want to be made, like toilet seats.

As one who really enjoys the movies, I don't see how anything good can come of this. All that can happen is they'll go out of their way to make Dumbledore incredibly gay. They'll make more characters gay. Did I mention there will be gay? Well there will be. And more diversity too. Fewer white characters and stuff. Most white dudes will be made gay though.

The whole thing just sounds gay.

How could both be franchise killer levels of shit if neither killed the franchise?

She wrote those Fantastic Beasts films right? And I seem to recall that she was quite involved in the Cursed Child process. Like @Stilton Disco said she's always been very hands-on with what's done with that world. Even when they were making the first film, when she had a lot less leverage than she does now, she laid out certain criteria that they had to meet, like the cast all be British. That's why they had to turn down Robin Williams' offer to play Hagrid. I believe she's also talked about turning down a bunch of merchandise ideas she didn't want to be made, like toilet seats.
For many franchises an entry as bad as one of those two would be the end however Harry Potter is not most franchises or IP.

To add to the discussion here, yes JK Rowling has complete control of whatever media adapts her work. She was rumored to have rejected Steven Spielberg's offer to direct the first movie once she learned of the changes he planned (moving the setting to America and doing it in full CGI).

Rowling is still pretty woke, which is why I think they'll up the diversity in the series once they come to casting. But so long as she angers the troons it doesn't bother me.

• Cheers
Reactions: Stilton Disco