Thread: what is the most overrated movie?
images

Choke lmao

I was sleepy af when I wrote it and I didn't notice.

Still, fuck Christian Bale and his stupid voice.
He's not my favorite Batman and the voice isn't my favorite Batman voice but I would never put shlock like Batman Forever over those movies because of it

• Funny
Reactions: lock2k
Well first of all Star Trek 4: The Voyage Home is a great movie because unlike the capeshit of today, the characters don’t all have their head up their asses all the time. The Voyage Home was basically the Star Trek crew in the modern day, with the characters having to sort out an unusual problem with silly hijinks in between. While the film is about trying to save the world, they don’t have superior government types berating them and villains that you know are just going to be defeated no matter what. I still regularly watch the Voyage Home every year or so because it’s an interesting film, while modern audiences just watch the same superhero movie bundled as a new release every month or so and pretend they are actually different to the last one.
its just downright baffling how stupid the modern audience is.

• This tbh
Reactions: Mickmrly
I always thought midsommar is a big pile of horseshit. I don’t understand how someone can enjoy this shit.
I thought it was great but it's an interesting choice for overrated movie since it's clearly very polarizing there's probably just as many people who feel as you do as feel as I do.

• Brain
Reactions: Eneru
I always thought midsommar is a big pile of horseshit. I don’t understand how someone can enjoy this shit.
All A24 movies are overrated, especially Ari Aster films.

However, I do think most of them are the kind of films you should watch once for the experience and then never speak of them again. Hereditary is even more overrated than Midsommar in my opinion. At least Midsommar gave us this amazing meme fuel.

midsommar.jpg

• 100%
Reactions: CloudNull
Oh wow you guys didn't appreciate your favorite films being called overrated did you? Funny how that works

Actually I don't care what people think on the internet about something as trivial as movies, or anything for that matter. I assumed your post was in jest but I guess you were serious and fishing for a reaction?

Dude if you get that upset some bozo on the internet doesn't like a movie you enjoy, go take a walk reevaluate your priorities.

Actually I don't care what people think on the internet about something as trivial as movies, or anything for that matter. I assumed your post was in jest but I guess you were serious and fishing for a reaction?

Dude if you get that upset some bozo on the internet doesn't like a movie you enjoy, go take a walk reevaluate your priorities.
Dude people can like whatever goddamn thing they like overrated doesn't mean I don't like it overrated means other people are wrong to like it and if you have a list full of crap like Forrest Gump then it's kind of ridiculous for you to be giving people that kind of crap.

• Funny
Reactions: Rock And Roll
Dude people can like whatever goddamn thing they like overrated doesn't mean I don't like it overrated means other people are wrong to like it and if you have a list full of crap like Forrest Gump then it's kind of ridiculous for you to be giving people that kind of crap.
Calm down bozo. Sorry, I just really wanted to call someone a bozo after reading R&R's post.

• Cheers
Reactions: Rock And Roll
Romeo and Juliet with guns. That shit was garbage.

Big Lebowski. Good movie, but way overhyped.

Literally every movie that won best picture since like 05. Special mention goes to the artist, which I watched about 5 minutes of before losing my mind at how pretentious it was and turning it off.

Big Lebowski. Good movie, but way overhyped.

This is a great movie but some people just take it too far. Its not the 2nd coming of Christ.

My vote is going to be for Lawrence of Arabia. Its beautiful and the sheer scale of the production is impressive but the movie is piss boring for a lot of it and Peter Sellers heavy HEAVY make up is really distracting.

• Brain
Reactions: Mickmrly
You know there's a common theme among a lot of movies that people consider overrated and that's that they are pretty unique.

I'm not saying they all share this but a whole lot of them are legitimately unique movies or at least were when they released before other movies copied them.

We all value originality but that doesn't mean we all value the same original movies to some of us an idea is unique or original because it's not worth doing or maybe it was unique in original but wasn't done as well as a movie that tread familiar ground. And hey maybe you've seen all the movies that influenced it and it doesn't even feel unique to you but at the end of the day what we are talking about is the average moviegoer seeing a movie and it resonating with them because it was in some way new fresh or unique.

I see people above me talking about The Big Lebowski well let me tell you I am not one of the people who loses their mind over that movie but at the same time I think to myself if you were a fan of that movie like a real die hard fan what other movies do you have that compare? This isn't like a marvel fan getting excited for the 18th movie where the good guy beats the bad guy, so much about the movie is unrepeatable and hasn't been repeated by other films and that's something you can't take away from it no matter how you feel about it.

You know there's a common theme among a lot of movies that people consider overrated and that's that they are pretty unique.

I'm not saying they all share this but a whole lot of them are legitimately unique movies or at least were when they released before other movies copied them.

We all value originality but that doesn't mean we all value the same original movies to some of us an idea is unique or original because it's not worth doing or maybe it was unique in original but wasn't done as well as a movie that tread familiar ground. And hey maybe you've seen all the movies that influenced it and it doesn't even feel unique to you but at the end of the day what we are talking about is the average moviegoer seeing a movie and it resonating with them because it was in some way new fresh or unique.

I see people above me talking about The Big Lebowski well let me tell you I am not one of the people who loses their mind over that movie but at the same time I think to myself if you were a fan of that movie like a real die hard fan what other movies do you have that compare? This isn't like a marvel fan getting excited for the 18th movie where the good guy beats the bad guy, so much about the movie is unrepeatable and hasn't been repeated by other films and that's something you can't take away from it no matter how you feel about it.

Yeah this is true. I think Alien has this issue with newer generations. So much of what made this movie a landmark has been absorbed into so many other pieces of media that its difficult to appreciate how amazing it is without the context of its place in movie history.

Yeah this is true. I think Alien has this issue with newer generations. So much of what made this movie a landmark has been absorbed into so many other pieces of media that its difficult to appreciate how amazing it is without the context of its place in movie history.
Well personally I didn't see it for the first time until I was a teenager and it was already 20 years old at least, but to me it is a magnificent film that is expertly crafted to be as scary as possible in few films can compare. Even the effects can you imagine wanting CGI instead of those amazing practicals? Just about everything the film shows you looks real and amazing and none of it being computer digital wizardry means your immersion is never broken. That scene when Brett is approaching those doors and there's the chain swinging and water dropping down it's just unreal it's like I can feel the water drops falling on me I can feel how hopeless and alone he is and how danger is lurking around the corner what a goddamn perfect film

Reactions: HellforLeather
I also thought Lost in Translation was overrated pretentious piss. Oh look, Bill Murray made a face, greatest movie ever!! I like Murray up until Kingpin.

And Wes Anderson movies suck! SUCK!!!!

• 100%
Reactions: Fushitsusha
Anything made by Kevin Smith. He seems like a decent guy I guess, but his movies...fucks sake they're dreadful. Every one of them have horrible, forced acting. They all have those long, drawn out conversations. So much verbal diarrhea.

The characters suck. Silent Bob is the worst, with his no talking but overly dramatic hand flapping and facial gestures. His movies suck, they're so overrated.

Well personally I didn't see it for the first time until I was a teenager and it was already 20 years old at least, but to me it is a magnificent film that is expertly crafted to be as scary as possible in few films can compare. Even the effects can you imagine wanting CGI instead of those amazing practicals? Just about everything the film shows you looks real and amazing and none of it being computer digital wizardry means your immersion is never broken. That scene when Brett is approaching those doors and there's the chain swinging and water dropping down it's just unreal it's like I can feel the water drops falling on me I can feel how hopeless and alone he is and how danger is lurking around the corner what a goddamn perfect film

yeah it definitely stands on its own merits. I was more referring to how it changed pop culture sci fi. The whole aesthetic of truckers in space where everything is mechanical and grimey was completely absent from the culture before Alien. Not only that but most alien films were either corny B-movie affairs or the aliens were friendly.

• Love
Reactions: Explosive Zombie
You can enjoy a modern superhero movie while also ignoring most modern superhero movies. I enjoyed Spider-Man: No Way Home, mainly because I really like Spider-Man but I grew up watching a lot of great movies from the '90s like Terminator 2, Independence Day, Jurassic Park, GoodFellas, Hard Boiled etc. Even some movies from the '80s that I really enjoyed like The Thing and Back to the Future.

I've never had the urge to rewatch Predator, Ghostbusters, or Aliens. They're just okay in my opinion. In the case of Aliens, I didn't enjoy it as much as Alien. I hadn't watched Tim Burton's Batman movies since I was a kid but I remember not liking Batman Returns. Batman Forever and Batman & Robin were pretty stupid too. Man of Steel is actually pretty cool and a good Superman movie but I don't really care for the extended DC universe. Spider-Man 2 is good but I don't like it as much as the first movie. Similarly, I like Batman Begins more than The Dark Knight. I do think Christopher Nolan is a little overrated but his movies are still interesting to watch, particularly The Prestige and Interstellar.