Thread: UFC 264 - Poirier vs McGregor 3 - July 10 SAT

regawdless

hare-assment

Platforms
  1. PC
This Saturday, Dustin and Conor square off for the third time. In their first fight, Conor finished Dustin, while the roles have been reversed in their rematch.

poster-ufc-264-running-order_3wzo0pjqfqf21hqs9r63bvsyf.jpeg

This card has some potential. Of course the main fight will be a spectacle, as always when Conor is involved. It can go either way, but I tend to give my prediction to Dustin winning.

Glad to see O'Malley fight again, kid has got great talent and I like watching him fight.

Other than that, I'm of course hyped for Carlos Condit, as he's one of my favorites fighters. Hope he can channel some of his former self and bring the heat. Would love to see him get a win, always cheering for him.

The way the main fight ended was disappointing. But from what I've seen in the first round, I think Dustin would've won either way.
Still a shitty ending with many open questions and sucks for Conor, because of all the preparation ... For this.

Well I’m late to the thread. I had McGregor as my pick on this one as he was winning the last fight for the first round and got Dustin wobbly.

But as we all saw last night, that’s not what happened. Instead of a good fight we saw ANOTHER leg break in the UFC. Such a lame way to end a fight.

I don’t see Conor coming back unless it’s a payday and weak opponent. He has little to gain and a lot to lose. He has plenty of money, so why risk a three fight losing streak as a career bookend.

Unless Dustin does take the strap, I can see Dana tapping Conor one more time. And in that case I think the risk would make sense. A. He would get a title shot (which unlikely with any other champ) and B. Losing a title match doesn’t lower your stock as you are losing to (in theory) the very best.

I don’t see Conor coming back unless it’s a payday and weak opponent. He has little to gain and a lot to lose. He has plenty of money, so why risk a three fight losing streak as a career bookend.

Unless Dustin does take the strap, I can see Dana tapping Conor one more time. And in that case I think the risk would make sense. A. He would get a title shot (which unlikely with any other champ) and B. Losing a title match doesn’t lower your stock as you are losing to (in theory) the very best.

The MMA world would be on fire if Conor would get a title shot after going 1:3 on his last four fights. Would be absolutely ridiculous.

But it's a business and money dictates the game, so it's definitely a possibility.

Reactions: Allnamestakenlol
You can’t just step away and do nothing but drink and party. Never have been much of a fan of McGregor but he was a hell of a fighter. I don’t blame him for going and making money but he stepped away in his prime and others passed him by. Shit happens.

The woman who entered with Trump is a Ukranian actress, Oleksandra Nikolayenko. She the wife of one of Trump's close friends and business partners.

Last edited:
"I was injured going into the fight. People are asking me, 'When was the leg broke? At what point did the leg break?' Ask Dana White, ask the UFC, ask Dr. Davidson, the head doctor of the UFC. They knew, I had stress fractures in my leg going into that cage," McGregor said.

"There was debate about pulling the thing out because I was sparring without shin pads and I would kick the knee a few times. So I had multiple stress fractures in the shin bone above the ankle and then I have trouble with the ankle anyway throughout the years of f---ing fighting all the time. And I also was rapping me ankle every training session."

• Shocked
Reactions: Arkam
"I was injured going into the fight. People are asking me, 'When was the leg broke? At what point did the leg break?' Ask Dana White, ask the UFC, ask Dr. Davidson, the head doctor of the UFC. They knew, I had stress fractures in my leg going into that cage," McGregor said.

"There was debate about pulling the thing out because I was sparring without shin pads and I would kick the knee a few times. So I had multiple stress fractures in the shin bone above the ankle and then I have trouble with the ankle anyway throughout the years of f---ing fighting all the time. And I also was rapping me ankle every training session."

That I do not get. Why fight when you have an injury. I get that there is a shit ton of money to be made/lost, but still seems like a fools gamble. Wonder if the Athletic Commission knew (in addition to the UFC). Now that I have my hindsight glasses on, I can see clearly that it would have been smarter to postpone the fight and let Connor heal, then to have had 264 happen like it did in that disappointing fashion. Sure it was the 2nd best PPV buy ever.... but will it come with a knock on cost? And could/would they have made the same if the bout had been postponed 90 days?

• Brain
Reactions: regawdless
That I do not get. Why fight when you have an injury. I get that there is a shit ton of money to be made/lost, but still seems like a fools gamble. Wonder if the Athletic Commission knew (in addition to the UFC). Now that I have my hindsight glasses on, I can see clearly that it would have been smarter to postpone the fight and let Connor heal, then to have had 264 happen like it did in that disappointing fashion. Sure it was the 2nd best PPV buy ever.... but will it come with a knock on cost? And could/would they have made the same if the bout had been postponed 90 days?

The thing is, when you train as hard as these guys, your always injured. No fighter is ever 100% because they always have something. It's not easy to make the right call before every fight. And then there's the mentality of Conor, who always shows up and never pulls out of a fight.

A ton of things and different parties involved in putting on an event like this, a ton of money, from marketing to the location, to the fans traveling and so on. With an event that is basically this one fight, it would be the worst case scenario to cancel it.

Reactions: DonDonDonPata
Maybe don't try and do chopping leg kicks if your shins are fractured. Maybe target the thighs or the body. Or maybe avoid kicks altogether if you're really that fucked up. If your left hand is on the verge of breaking, you wouldn't be throwing wild left haymakers, so why risk it with fucked up shins? Makes no sense.

Well I’m late to the thread. I had McGregor as my pick on this one as he was winning the last fight for the first round and got Dustin wobbly.

But as we all saw last night, that’s not what happened. Instead of a good fight we saw ANOTHER leg break in the UFC. Such a lame way to end a fight.
You cheeky fucker!