Thread: The Last of Us Is Getting a PS5 Remake, Claims Report

JORMBO

keep your enemies close and your franger closer
Platforms
  1. PC
  2. Xbox
  3. PlayStation
  4. Nintendo

A remake of 2013’s PlayStation 3 mega-hit The Last of Us is apparently in development, according to an eye-opening Bloomberg report. According to respected journalist Jason Schreier, the project started life at Sony’s unannounced San Diego studio, which for the longest time was connected with the Uncharted franchise. According to the article, the team had wanted to remake Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, but in an increasingly risk-averse environment, pitched a remake of Joel and Ellie’s debut for the PS5.
The team was eventually pulled in to help finish off The Last of Us: Part II, which had been delayed, and then the remake was ultimately absorbed by Naughty Dog, where development apparently continues behind-the-scenes. While it’s a strange move considering the game’s age, it’s probably worth remembering that a big-budget television show inspired by the first The Last of Us game is about to enter production; a full-scale remake of the original will probably sell a lot of copies.

They're really going to milk every last drop out of this. I don't think it'll sell quite as many copies as they think. Looking forward to fourth remake on PS7.

• Brain
Reactions: Kadayi
This game got a remaster on PS4. Would it kill Sony to come up with something new?

Which is part of the PS+ collection if I'm not mistaken, this is such a joke. lol PS5 owners already get a remaster of this game for free, what are they thinking.

I mean, it worked out for Shadow of the Colossus. It felt a bit overkill at the announcement there as well, with possibly even less time since the last remaster, but it was so gorgeous and stunning, people loved it anyway.

No reason this couldn’t be the same. Just bringing TLoU up to TLoU2 visual standards would be enough for a really compelling release, let alone whatever a ground-up PS5 game can bring to the table.

Not to mention, this kind of thing is a great way for a developer to quickly get experience with a new system, and in ND’s case, also wash away the awful taste of TLoU2.

I mean, it worked out for Shadow of the Colossus.

Feels a little different, PS2 game> PS3 remaster> PS4 remake (eventually being free on +), vs.

PS3>PS4 remaster (given for free with + on PS4, and then again on PS5), and a remake on PS5 where 100% of the console user base has access to the game already even without PS+

Reactions: Arc
Honestly, this wasn't the kind of game I felt needed a replay, at least not until I'd completely forgotten the story, which the constant reanalysis and retelling due to the woke championing and sequel controversy made impossible to do.

I hope I don't have to wait for this before they do a PS5 upgrade of the TLOU II...

Which is part of the PS+ collection if I'm not mistaken, this is such a joke. lol PS5 owners already get a remaster of this game for free, what are they thinking.
Yep, it seems like the most pointless remake so far. The resources and time for this could be directed at a new project or towards remaking other games that remain trapped on older PlayStations. The response hasn't been positive going by the comments I've seen on gaming sites.

Seems like a strange use of their time. Maybe it'll be like the last Ratchet and Clank game, like a remake but more based on the film. Could this be a tie in to the TLOU series?

While I'm not a fan of this franchise anyway, it feels weird. Like, I got Xenoblade Definitive Edition last year which was fine because the original looks like it's the origin of Covid-19. But TLoU still looks fine, right? Especially because the game was already reworked for PS4. It'd be like Nintendo remaking Pikmin 3 instead of just porting it. Waste of time and ressources. A new game could be made instead. Oh well. Now I'm curious if they're woke enough to replace original Joel with the new, black actor from the planned TV series. Would be hilarious.

So if that's really a remake (and not a remaster of a remaster) is there any chance for story plot revisions to make us less sympathetic to Joel and justify his dumb death in the sequel and thus making the remake canon and "yes queen"?

Sorry guys if no one is gonna ask those questions then I need to be the first.

I think you guys are underestimating how amazing a TLoU redux could look, ground-up for PS5. I could be wrong, but I will bide my time.

393311-C1-E597-42-A8-9-A91-4-D13258-C4193.gif

Reactions: 3liteDragon
I also just read it properly and realised this is instead of a remake of the first Uncharted, which genuinely could do with being remade and improved from the now rather rickety original, but is still fundamentally a great game that has potential to be brilliant after a second go at it.

Bloody Sony and their lack of any willingness to pander to anything but the lowest common denominator.

Reactions: Nymphae
I also just read it properly and realised this is instead of a remake of the first Uncharted, which genuinely could do with being remade and improved from the now rather rickety original, but is still fundamentally a great game that has potential to be brilliant after a second go at it.

Bloody Sony and their lack of any willingness to pander to anything but the lowest common denominator.

The original Uncharted wasn't dark and serious enough for today's Sony.

And a cocky white dude protagonist? Get the fuck out of here.

• Brain
Reactions: brap and Kadayi

I really hope that Sony isn’t going to lock into this theme, this generation, but the signs aren’t looking good. These kinds of games are my least favorite of their output.

I'm sure that's exactly why they cancelled the remake. A white dude mowing down a bunch of brown peepo and flirting with a white woman? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Brain
Reactions: lock2k
I’d like to think things aren’t that ridiculous, but who knows anymore.

Does Uncharted go to more locations than TLoU or something that it would be a lot of extra work? I’ve only rented the first, and for a short time.

If they switched from uncharted to The last of Us my assumption would simply be profitability the last of us must be a bigger seller. The most interesting thing will be if they keep in the ladder puzzles and such since so many of that is just obscuring load times. I haven't played the sequel yet but I understand it's an upgrade in a lot of ways so you could definitely redo the first with a better combat system that's more like the second or something.

If they switched from uncharted to The last of Us my assumption would simply be profitability the last of us must be a bigger seller. The most interesting thing will be if they keep in the ladder puzzles and such since so many of that is just obscuring load times. I haven't played the sequel yet but I understand it's an upgrade in a lot of ways so you could definitely redo the first with a better combat system that's more like the second or something.

I wouldn't expect anything other than a visual pass. They already have the assets of Joel and Ellie they require from 2 from the flashback sequences so it's just going to be a case of bringing everything else up to snuff.

I wouldn't expect anything other than a visual pass. They already have the assets of Joel and Ellie they require from 2 from the flashback sequences so it's just going to be a case of bringing everything else up to snuff.
I'm just not sure that's worth anyone's time if there's not much to it then I personally would just wait for it to be a PS Plus game.

Though I have to wonder if this is anything to do with porting it to PC

I'm just not sure that's worth anyone's time if there's not much to it then I personally would just wait for it to be a PS Plus game.

Though I have to wonder if this is anything to do with porting it to PC

Have they announced that? I thought they were keeping the Naughty Dog stuff strictly exclusive.

Have they announced that? I thought they were keeping the Naughty Dog stuff strictly exclusive.
It's one of the things the Insiders like to say is going to happen it doesn't mean it will it certainly not officially announced. But if you were going to Port it to PC then it would make sense to visually upgrade it for PS5 as well so we don't feel shafted. That said like other people have said there were other franchises that could use a remake more imagine if they remade killzone 1 or the first resistance those two in particular could really benefit from such a treatment and they could relaunch those franchises for a new generation.

• Brain
Reactions: Hayfield and Kadayi