Thread: Tabletop, RPGs, Board games |OT| But mom those aren't toys! They are models!
Official Thread
My kids, boy (6yrs), girl (9yrs), boy (11 yrs) are really getting into Pokemon CCG and Yu Gi Oh.

Yu Gi Oh is the more recent addition, just within the last few weeks. The oldest got a deck for his birthday and they have been watching Season 1 of the anime. I bought em a 'Speed Duel' pair of decks to add some more cards to the assortment.

They already have several decks for Pkmn CCG, including a three-deck "battle stadium" pre-made set (brilliant concept imo). All three of them comprehend the game, though the youngest struggles more due to his weaker reading ability. It's funny to see these old games -- 20+ years old at this point -- still finding a modern audience. THey're geeking out about card-combos, and traps, and tricks. I wanna get my oldest son into Warhammer: Invasion, Netrunnner, and Legend of the 5 Rings LCG because he finally has the grasp of higher strategies in these deckbuilders.
Awesome. I loved Pokemon cards as a kid (my best friend and I were hyper competitive with one another at it), so it's always heart warming to hear decades later that kids are still playing it.

Awesome. I loved Pokemon cards as a kid (my best friend and I were hyper competitive with one another at it), so it's always heart warming to hear decades later that kids are still playing it.

yeah the games nowadays are much better than when we were kids. Pkmn CCG, Decipher's Star Wars, Magic, Battletech, and (briefly) Netrunner were my jams before everyone seemed to lose interest for videogames, sports, girls, etc, and I gravitated on to music and the Games Workshop rabbit-hole in my early teens

The card games now are so much easier to get into, and so much easier to own a self-contained "set" of the cards. In my early 20s I got back into Magic without spending a dime because a large group of friends were fans of running Magic cubes and building decks. It was also that same group that introduced me to a lot of the modern-ish hobby boardgames like Dominion, Agricola, and then stuff like Warhammer: Invasion and Race for the Galaxy.

Anyway, sorry for the personal life diary but the point is that these modern card games are sooooo much better, much more affordable than the stuff we had as kids, and at the same time the mechanics / combos / interactions are much more interesting and distinctive. There seems like genuine effort is put into making different classes / decks / elements feel distinct. I personally remember the "card pack craze" as a kid, the insane hunger to get more booster packs and get more cards. I remember broken-ass cards that shot up in value at all the local card shops simply because they were broken-ass cards. The competitiveness and card-trading fed into that craze. Thankfully, because of the format and our sizable collection of other board/cardgames, our kids don't have that same intense obsession, they can just enjoy the game and learn.

yeah the games nowadays are much better than when we were kids. Pkmn CCG, Decipher's Star Wars, Magic, Battletech, and (briefly) Netrunner were my jams before everyone seemed to lose interest for videogames, sports, girls, etc, and I gravitated on to music and the Games Workshop rabbit-hole in my early teens

The card games now are so much easier to get into, and so much easier to own a self-contained "set" of the cards. In my early 20s I got back into Magic without spending a dime because a large group of friends were fans of running Magic cubes and building decks. It was also that same group that introduced me to a lot of the modern-ish hobby boardgames like Dominion, Agricola, and then stuff like Warhammer: Invasion and Race for the Galaxy.

Anyway, sorry for the personal life diary but the point is that these modern card games are sooooo much better, much more affordable than the stuff we had as kids, and at the same time the mechanics / combos / interactions are much more interesting and distinctive. There seems like genuine effort is put into making different classes / decks / elements feel distinct. I personally remember the "card pack craze" as a kid, the insane hunger to get more booster packs and get more cards. I remember broken-ass cards that shot up in value at all the local card shops simply because they were broken-ass cards. The competitiveness and card-trading fed into that craze. Thankfully, because of the format and our sizable collection of other board/cardgames, our kids don't have that same intense obsession, they can just enjoy the game and learn.
Hey, don't apologise, it's interesting to hear about, especially as I'm planning to have kids in the next couple of years.

I mean I plan to force them to play outside a lot, but given my wife and I's nerdyness, the odds they won't end up playing card games sooner or later is basically zero.

Teaching kids board/cardgames is better than watching a screen, especially if you have 2 or more kids who are learning to play along with one another. There are many simple lessons in competitiveness, fairness, cheating, cooperation, taking care of community toys, cleaning up, reading, learning, improving, looking forward to "next game", and so forth. Sports are nice but I'd still rank boardgames pretty high up there for child development, definitely above stuff like branded toys (e.g. Marvel action figures) and TV screens

My kids, boy (6yrs), girl (9yrs), boy (11 yrs) are really getting into Pokemon CCG and Yu Gi Oh.

Yu Gi Oh is the more recent addition, just within the last few weeks. The oldest got a deck for his birthday and they have been watching Season 1 of the anime. I bought em a 'Speed Duel' pair of decks to add some more cards to the assortment.

They already have several decks for Pkmn CCG, including a three-deck "battle stadium" pre-made set (brilliant concept imo). All three of them comprehend the game, though the youngest struggles more due to his weaker reading ability. It's funny to see these old games -- 20+ years old at this point -- still finding a modern audience. THey're geeking out about card-combos, and traps, and tricks. I wanna get my oldest son into Warhammer: Invasion, Netrunnner, and Legend of the 5 Rings LCG because he finally has the grasp of higher strategies in these deckbuilders.
I bought weekend warriors to introduce my kids to miniatures wargaming, it's great and cheap

10 down, 50+ to go!

pXTAg1g.jpeg

Although I'm actually about a third of the way to the 1000 point force I have planned, and will hopefully be able to start playing smaller games with. But still, I have a plans for a fuckton more beakies yet!

Also I still need to varnish and base them, but I'll most likely do that all at once when I have more finished.

Next, kitbashing Despoilers and Recon!
I think they just cant meet the demand, but anyways, GW does GW, kits with missing weapons, incomplete figures to make you buy other sets etc.. That's why I'm just an OPR guy for the moment

• Strength
Reactions: Mirabilis
And dont get me started on how they manage skirmish games where you have to buy multiple boxes and kits to get a complete and good warcry warband...

• 100%
Reactions: Stilton Disco
And dont get me started on how they manage skirmish games where you have to buy multiple boxes and kits to get a complete and good warcry warband...

why play Age of Sigmar when Hordes+Warmachine exists? heck, pretty sure the whole Privateer line exists to be budget-GW because of that exact practice of splitting models across various boxes / squads.

why play Age of Sigmar when Hordes+Warmachine exists? heck, pretty sure the whole Privateer line exists to be budget-GW because of that exact practice of splitting models across various boxes / squads.
The new Ash Wastes Necromunda expansion gets me scratching my head the most.

They've taken a relatively easy to get into and self contained game and changed it into a massively expensive, far bigger, heavily vehicle based one, which needs a load of new, far more expensive models and entirely new scenery to play alongside any existing gang you might own.

It makes me worried about the rumours of a new Space Hulk, not least of all because the upcoming Killteam expansion is rumoured to be designed to work with it, which hints at all kinds of shenanigans.

It's a shame, as HH2.0 got off to a great start, with both a great new boxset, a really good value way to upgrade and build squads and vehicles (the new Contemptor is even very obviously designed to be magnetised), while actually reducing prices on several existing units that were either changed to plastic or repackaged.

It really feels like they were being competent and more customer friendly by accident, rather than as a deliberate and more intelligent startergy.

I enjoy warcry a lot, I still play it but just print my own models now, but this game is one of my favorites. They can last 15 minutes or an hour depending on cards you draw at the start of the game.

seeing hobbyists assemble their dudes before bulk-priming on the sprues

djswD9D.png
Priming before assembly sounds like a great way to make them less firmly glued together, leave mold lines everywhere and create patchy paint, where the primer will be missing, once the it's clipped off.

The only thing I do with sub assembly is to hold parts like the bolters on with blue tac, so I can remove them after priming to paint behind them.

Working on my Heresy White Scars:

u53jswsizod91.jpg

Kitbashed Stormseer and some recon squad marines to the right

nk64nxsizod91.jpg

"counts as" Outrider squadron and I think I might run the white scars khan as HQ

llgkzxsizod91.jpg

Slowly working my way through the big box...
Absolutely rad. Those bikes work fine as outriders, as they're actually in far more Heresy era art than the Forgeworld models.

Also I'm doing much the same with converting a Recon Squad. Longer barrels with suppressors, Scopes, and spare scout squad bits. Their range, all but instant death on a 6 to wound, ability to single out sergeants, Apothecaries etc. and cause pinning seems like one of the absolute best utility and value for money units out there, plus they're Line Infantry, so can score objectives.

Also I'm doing much the same with converting a Recon Squad. Longer barrels with suppressors, Scopes, and spare scout squad bits. Their range, all but instant death on a 6 to wound, ability to single out sergeants, Apothecaries etc. and cause pinning seems like one of the absolute best utility and value for money units out there, plus they're Line Infantry, so can score objectives.
I think a lot of armies will include a small recon squad. I've also been contemplating a scout squad, but the 1 worse armour save makes an enormous difference as so many weapons are AP4, and I'm not sure the additional scout abilities make up for that. Next up is the Contemptor, good to see GW finally acknowledges magnetising when making a new kit, even though it's not spelled out in the instructions it's pretty clear what those 4mm diameter slots at the weapons are for.

Priming before assembly sounds like a great way to make them less firmly glued together, leave mold lines everywhere and create patchy paint, where the primer will be missing, once the it's clipped off.

The only thing I do with sub assembly is to hold parts like the bolters on with blue tac, so I can remove them after priming to paint behind them.

Fair enough, that's why I would lightly prime once, dry, then clip/clean and lightly prime again. Less paint usage overall and since I'd assemble and paint 2000+ points worth of infantry it saves soooo much time. Vehicles are different I guess.

The time saved was spent on drill and pegs for 95% of attachments. Never had glue issues. I'd typically buy an army, play for 3-6 months, then sell to fund a different army.

prod_15174852717

I also prime on the sprues. The base colours are thick enough to work as undercoat, especially black, dark green etc. to fill up gaps left from removing mold lines. Never had issues with paint chipping or model violently disassembling without any provocation.

Wife wants to play some DND so we picked up the starter box. There’s only going to be two of us playing so I guess I’ll be doing the DM work.

I’ve started reading over the rule book and this seems way complicated. Never played a tabletop game.

I prime once assembled because I zenithal prime, anyhow i have too much projets so im turning to contrast paints and highlights. Juste ordered all contrast paints
Aye, much the same, a good zenithal priming is really useful for working out shading and highlighting. And like I say, liberal use of blue tack allows me to disassemble after priming if I need to anyway, so I don't feel I'm making any disadvantages for myself by assembling fitst.

I've also just finished assembling my second Tactical Squad, so I'll get another 3 Apothecaries made, and kitbash a Recon Squad, then get them all painted up in one big batch.

Gs1SeDp.jpeg

Wife wants to play some DND so we picked up the starter box. There’s only going to be two of us playing so I guess I’ll be doing the DM work.

I’ve started reading over the rule book and this seems way complicated. Never played a tabletop game.
1) almost everything is a d20 roll
2) you can play a character too and be a DM at the same time. It helps guide the player/s and makes it so you can interact more with the other person/s.
3) start with something extremely basic and banal and gradually expand upon it. 99% of the things you need are on the DM screen.

1) almost everything is a d20 roll
2) you can play a character too and be a DM at the same time. It helps guide the player/s and makes it so you can interact more with the other person/s.
3) start with something extremely basic and banal and gradually expand upon it. 99% of the things you need are on the DM screen.

Didn’t really think about playing a character and juggling DM duty at the same time. That could be pretty fun I reckon.

Didn’t really think about playing a character and juggling DM duty at the same time. That could be pretty fun I reckon.
I'm speaking from 5+ years of experience. Your players will smash most of your plans to pieces. having a guide helps both parties have a good time. The players get to enjoy a structured content instead of an improvised one and you can practice your writing and narrative skills. Of course if you are great at improvisation then you can have a lot of fun with a completely random and chaotic narrative.

Last edited:
Dead Deathguard.

IMG_20220726_231031.jpg

The Khan is coming...
This is the one downside of wanting to run Loyalist EC, I really don't have any justification to buy a primarch model. I mean Saul Tarvitz looks nice, but it's just not the same...

Also I very much look forward to seeing this lot painted up. Just resist the urge to jump straight to Jaghatai. Get the scheme and techniques nailed down with the normal dudes first, then the Warhawk.

Love the OPR models! Also picked up the new warcry ghur set, the only GW game I'll still get besides OPR.

298616730_10160769381616410_3867643912348297597_n.jpg
Very nice. Love a good lizard man.

And yeah, I've heard good things about Warcry. It, HH and Titanicus are about the only games they do these days that I ever hear anything positive about.

They're rumoured to be redoing Epic and Space Hulk, which I used to both lo e so I'm hopeful will not be ruined by an update.

Reactions: Mal
Very nice. Love a good lizard man.

And yeah, I've heard good things about Warcry. It, HH and Titanicus are about the only games they do these days that I ever hear anything positive about.

They're rumoured to be redoing Epic and Space Hulk, which I used to both lo e so I'm hopeful will not be ruined by an update.
Wacry is a very simple and quick game, I just love the simplicity of it. They also released the core rules for free this week and all the updated stats for all bands a few weeks ago. Simply baffles me coming from GW!

tangentially related, but my kids have really been getting into Slay the Spire (shoutout to @Vow in the Best 20 thread) this past week and they're loving the card aspects. I added a handful of "videogame cardgames" to the stack for my oldest son to try out since he has fallen most in love with it. I also made a stack of my favorite deckbuilders / tableau builders for him to learn like Race for the Galaxy, Core Worlds, and Dominion.

The point is that Slay the Spire granted him a fresh eye for the various deckbuilders in our collection now that it has its hooks in him. We've owned em and played em for years (Dominion, Core Worlds, Ascension, etc) but deckbuilders have always taken a back seat to the likes of Pokemon TCG. Now he wants to know everything about these games and to learn them.

He already likes roguelites and card games, but mixing in some videogame versions seem like an excellent way to keep the boardgaming spirit alive.

tangentially related, but my kids have really been getting into Slay the Spire (shoutout to @Vow in the Best 20 thread) this past week and they're loving the card aspects. I added a handful of "videogame cardgames" to the stack for my oldest son to try out since he has fallen most in love with it. I also made a stack of my favorite deckbuilders / tableau builders for him to learn like Race for the Galaxy, Core Worlds, and Dominion.

The point is that Slay the Spire granted him a fresh eye for the various deckbuilders in our collection now that it has its hooks in him. We've owned em and played em for years (Dominion, Core Worlds, Ascension, etc) but deckbuilders have always taken a back seat to the likes of Pokemon TCG. Now he wants to know everything about these games and to learn them.

He already likes roguelites and card games, but mixing in some videogame versions seem like an excellent way to keep the boardgaming spirit alive.
When it comes to online card games there is nothing better than Shadowverse. I have been playing it since release and I play it almost every day. The amount of content there now is just staggering and the story mode is incredible. The Empyrean Inn arc that is going on right is absolutely amazing.

My son, wife, and I played Small World. He loved it. I hadn't played it for at least 3 or 4 years, probably longer. It's a very lightweight game, easier and faster than I remember. We also have several of the expansions mixed in already, which surprised me.

Also here is my regular dump of 40k meme

The Mechanus one at the end -- again -- made me laugh out loud

What do you guys do to paint faster and get motivation for big armies? Im working out of my OPR saurians and looking at 48 models is killing me after 10, that's not counting I just bought over 800$ of ogor mawtribes which I cant wait to start as my next project...

What do you guys do to paint faster and get motivation for big armies? Im working out of my OPR saurians and looking at 48 models is killing me after 10, that's not counting I just bought over 800$ of ogor mawtribes which I cant wait to start as my next project...
I'm painting some boardgame minis right now, the highest "army" count is six and even that is fucking draining. Painting the same thing over and over just sucks, no idea how you'd manage the numbers you are talking about.

• 100%
I'm painting some boardgame minis right now, the highest "army" count is six and even that is fucking draining. Painting the same thing over and over just sucks, no idea how you'd manage the numbers you are talking about.
Yeah and my friend just went through 40+ duchies of vinci OPR models in 2 weeks, including insane basing...

• Shocked
Reactions: Calcium
I don't have a way myself. It is a hobby, so sometimes I paint like a mad mofo and finish an army in a few weeks and other times it takes me years to finish something else 😁

I generally like painting and jonestly wish I had more time for it, but even I admit having dozens of models to get done can be a pain.

For armies I try to lean on speed painting shortcuts. Spray paints, zenithal highlights with contrast paints, drybrushing and washes all speed things along while looking nice.

Also picking out either a leader model or whole unit to take extra care with, trying something new and giving their painting a bit more flair, helps break up the monotony.