Thread: Tabletop, RPGs, Board games |OT| But mom those aren't toys! They are models!
Official Thread
Was supposed to play my first game of kill team this thursday but it was cancelled last minute, so disappointing...

I am assembling a death guard army for 40k, so much painting to do and it feels like I barely get any progress, it's taking me hours to paint just a few plague marines. I got this since i've started my army in february, with only 7 plague marines painted...

Lord of Contagion
Malignant Plaguecaster
Typhus
Biologus Putrifier
Foul Blightspawn
Tallyman
25 Plague Marines
30 Poxwalkers
8 Blightlord Terminators
2 Chaos Contemptor Dreadnoughts
3 Deathshroud Terminators
3 Myphitic Blight-haulers
2 Plagueburst Crawlers

And today I impulsively bought a nurgle daemon start collecting box, since i found out it was discontinued. I dont know how people find the motivation to paint all of this.
It's fine. I usually paint 1 model per day. The fastest I can go is probably a Steel Legionary, because they have no face, and I can finish it in 4 hours.

Was supposed to play my first game of kill team this thursday but it was cancelled last minute, so disappointing...

I am assembling a death guard army for 40k, so much painting to do and it feels like I barely get any progress, it's taking me hours to paint just a few plague marines. I got this since i've started my army in february, with only 7 plague marines painted...

Lord of Contagion
Malignant Plaguecaster
Typhus
Biologus Putrifier
Foul Blightspawn
Tallyman
25 Plague Marines
30 Poxwalkers
8 Blightlord Terminators
2 Chaos Contemptor Dreadnoughts
3 Deathshroud Terminators
3 Myphitic Blight-haulers
2 Plagueburst Crawlers

And today I impulsively bought a nurgle daemon start collecting box, since i found out it was discontinued. I dont know how people find the motivation to paint all of this.
Daemons of Nurgle and poxwalkers are the perfect models to use Contrast/Speedpaints on, since they're meant to be dirty, oozing with corruption and have very textured, detailed designs.

Zenithal prime, one coat paints, then dry brush over with a light sand, grey or green and you're done. The more you have together, the less the individual models matter, as long as there's a consistency to them, so you can get a lot done at once and still have them look good.

Reactions: Mal
So Squats are really coming back to 40K, with a new, copyright-able name I'll never make any effort to even remember, let alone use.

Still, Space Dwarves! More excited for the new lore than the effect they'll have on the game, but the model looks like it'll be fun to paint.

koVhNe4.jpeg

au0Kd2Q.jpeg

dCstyX0.jpeg

It's fine. I usually paint 1 model per day. The fastest I can go is probably a Steel Legionary, because they have no face, and I can finish it in 4 hours.
Yeah, I pay attention to too many things isnt even noticeable unless you you get the mini in your face
Daemons of Nurgle and poxwalkers are the perfect models to use Contrast/Speedpaints on, since they're meant to be dirty, oozing with corruption and have very textured, detailed designs.

Zenithal prime, one coat paints, then dry brush over with a light sand, grey or green and you're done. The more you have together, the less the individual models matter, as long as there's a consistency to them, so you can get a lot done at once and still have them look good.
Already am using a bit of contrast paints, I used some glazes on the PMs armor, pretty time consuming.

Really dont care for the swats while everyone seems to be going nuts for them

Reactions: Stilton Disco
I met with Zumikito today, I showed him some of my new models I made. Gave me a single pointer on how to improve them but aside from that said they are magnificent 💪 It is really awesome when you get recognized by such an incredibly talented painter like him, that's for sure.

I met with Zumikito today, I showed him some of my new models I made. Gave me a single pointer on how to improve them but aside from that said they are magnificent 💪 It is really awesome when you get recognized by such an incredibly talented painter like him, that's for sure.
he seems like a nice guy, love his videos!

I still haven't gone as far as the Jihad yet.

Calling them done for now:
IMG_20220428_231310.jpg

Please get in touch with our office on Galatea if you need some pirates hunted or local lord prosecuted.
Yeah, they look pretty great. Keep up the good work, my boy!

• Cheers
Reactions: Makariel
Ive now got 4000 points of death guard to paint, I feel overwhelmed. Especially that ive started to buy some maggotkin of nurgle for AoS :cautious:

I think i'll try to figure out a plan on how to approach this with with prioritizing what needs to be done first. This is the list ive bought since february:

++ Unbound Army (Faction) (Chaos - Death Guard) [214 PL, -2CP, 4,066pts] ++

+ Configuration +

Detachment Command Cost

Plague Company

+ HQ +

Death Guard Daemon Prince [10 PL, 185pts]:
Foetid Wings, Hellforged sword

Lord of Contagion [6 PL, 120pts]: Plaguereaper

Malignant Plaguecaster [5 PL, 95pts]

Typhus [9 PL, 165pts]

+ Troops +

Plague Marines [6 PL, 115pts]

. Plague Champion: Boltgun, Plague knife
. Plague Marine w/ blight launcher: Blight launcher
. 3x Plague Marine w/ boltgun: 3x Blight grenades, 3x Boltgun, 3x Krak grenades, 3x Plague knife

. 3x Plague Marine w/ boltgun: 3x Blight grenades, 3x Boltgun, 3x Krak grenades, 3x Plague knife

Plague Marines [6 PL, 136pts]
. Plague Marine w/ bubotic axe: Bubotic Axe
. Plague Marine w/ cleaver: Great plague cleaver
. Plague Marine w/ flail: Flail of corruption
. Plague Marine w/ mace and axe: Bubotic Axe, Mace of Contagion

Poxwalkers [6 PL, 120pts]
. 20x Poxwalker: 20x Improvised weapon

Poxwalkers [6 PL, 120pts]
. 20x Poxwalker: 20x Improvised weapon

+ Elites +

Biologus Putrifier [4 PL, 65pts]

Blightlord Terminators [20 PL, 257pts]

. Blightlord Champion: Balesword, Combi-bolter
. Blightlord Terminator: Flail of corruption
. Blightlord Terminator: Bubotic Axe, Combi-bolter

Blightlord Terminators [10 PL, 215pts]
. Blightlord Champion: Balesword, Combi-bolter
. Blightlord Terminator: Flail of corruption

Chaos Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, -1CP, 170pts]: 2x Twin volkite culverin

Chaos Contemptor Dreadnought [8 PL, -1CP, 170pts]: 2x Twin volkite culverin

Deathshroud Terminators [9 PL, 165pts]
. Deathshroud Champion: Plaguespurt gauntlet
. 2x Deathshroud Terminator: 2x Manreaper, 2x Plaguespurt gauntlet

Foul Blightspawn [5 PL, 90pts]

Noxious Blightbringer [3 PL, 60pts]

Plague Surgeon [4 PL, 75pts]

Tallyman [4 PL, 70pts]

+ Fast Attack +

Chaos Spawn [1 PL, 23pts]:
Chaos Spawn

Chaos Spawn [1 PL, 23pts]: Chaos Spawn

Foetid Bloat-drone [7 PL, 130pts]: 2x Plaguespitter

Foetid Bloat-drone [7 PL, 130pts]: 2x Plaguespitter

Myphitic Blight-haulers [7 PL, 130pts]: Myphitic Blight-hauler

+ Heavy Support +

Plagueburst Crawler [8 PL, 160pts]:
2x Entropy cannon, Heavy slugger

Plagueburst Crawler [8 PL, 160pts]: 2x Entropy cannon, Heavy slugger

+ Dedicated Transport +

Chaos Rhino [4 PL, 80pts]

+ Fortification +

Miasmic Malignifier [4 PL, 75pts]

++ Total: [214 PL, -2CP, 4,066pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Last weekend I played the first GW game this year, which was Blackstone Fortress. I still haven't played an actual game of 9th Edition, even though I have the rules and read the rulebook as soon as it came out.

On the other hand, I have painted quite a bunch of models, finished another Battletech company, this time the 4th Skye Rangers:

bg9lf00y4pz81.jpg

After 6 months odd of not being able to do any real painting for fun, I finally got around to getting the first half of my Aliens Colonial Marines painted, along with everyone's favourite dickhead, Carter Burke

iIryGZu.jpeg

Overall I'm not unhappy with how they turned out, but bloody hell am I out of practice with this hobby. Made far too many mistakes and misjudgements, but hopefully I'll get back into the swing of it for the other half of the squad and Ripley.

Man, I got a lot of painting done in the last few months. Mostly Flames of War stuff, but it's a lot of it. A small infantry company (around 80 men), 4 planes and 7 guns. Also finished two armoured basilisks and a few Steel Legion troopers. I really should take some pictures and post them here...

Man, I got a lot of painting done in the last few months. Mostly Flames of War stuff, but it's a lot of it. A small infantry company (around 80 men), 4 planes and 7 guns. Also finished two armoured basilisks and a few Steel Legion troopers. I really should take some pictures and post them here...
b6c.gif

Working on some Dreads. Got the undercoats and most of the silver metallics done.

This will be my 5th and 6th Dreadnought, I have a 7th waiting to get built, and I'm thinking of getting an 8th. I may have a problem.

LR3uoGo.jpeg

Last edited:
You have a fetish for invalids or something? :D
100%. I blame the discovery of all the old forgeworld Dreads, which are available for less than half the price of GW's from recasters.

Plus half of them are just mad kitbashes for the fun of it. The Apothecary Dreadnought, Seismic Hammer + Twin Autocannon Dread and the new one above, that has a heavy bolter on top and a Grav Cannon replacing it's underarm storm bolters, are all very far from legal. But God damn were they fun to make.

• Love
Reactions: mcz117chief
Was thinking of getting the horus heresy boxset, but seeing the prices for the specials weapons etc.. is making me change my mind

I tried OPR Grimdark Future a few times now with a friend, I think I'm about to ditch 40K and just go that way from now on.

Was thinking of getting the horus heresy boxset, but seeing the prices for the specials weapons etc.. is making me change my mind

I tried OPR Grimdark Future a few times now with a friend, I think I'm about to ditch 40K and just go that way from now on.
The special weapons being boxed together will at least mean ebay is going to be flooded with them after launch. Will be cheaper buying just the ones you want, rather than the entire boxes that will likely have options you won't use. Or of course you could always sell the spare yourself.

I'm grabbing it myself, since it's only 180 quid in Great Britain, and will be discounted at 3rd parties, it's kind of a bargain (we'll, for GW at least).

Also as much as I like OPR, having seen rundown on HH2.0's rules, it's basically allof what I liked from the old 3rd-7th editions of 40K, but with some really nice changes, like Weapon Skill now effecting to hit roles, so units with a higher WS stat will be safer in combat, which encourages melee more. For a more complicated hame system, it's far more my cup of tea than 40k has been since 8th.

The special weapons being boxed together will at least mean ebay is going to be flooded with them after launch. Will be cheaper buying just the ones you want, rather than the entire boxes that will likely have options you won't use. Or of course you could always sell the spare yourself.

I'm grabbing it myself, since it's only 180 quid in Great Britain, and will be discounted at 3rd parties, it's kind of a bargain (we'll, for GW at least).

Also as much as I like OPR, having seen rundown on HH2.0's rules, it's basically allof what I liked from the old 3rd-7th editions of 40K, but with some really nice changes, like Weapon Skill now effecting to hit roles, so units with a higher WS stat will be safer in combat, which encourages melee more. For a more complicated hame system, it's far more my cup of tea than 40k has been since 8th.
I got tabled last week in two turns against Tau, I'm pretty much done with it, it's overcomplicated, too much rules and the flavor of the brand new codex is annoying. Im going with OPR for fantasy and Grimdark Future from now on.

The box is alright, but I dont feel like paying 360$ for it now after seeing the pricing for the rest of the stuff. Ill probably print some proxies or use my Death guard army to try the rules and see if I enjoy it first. Wanted to make a DG or World Eaters heresy army, this is going on hold.

• Brain
I got tabled last week in two turns against Tau, I'm pretty much done with it, it's overcomplicated, too much rules and the flavor of the brand new codex is annoying. Im going with OPR for fantasy and Grimdark Future from now on.

The box is alright, but I dont feel like paying 360$ for it now after seeing the pricing for the rest of the stuff. Ill probably print some proxies or use my Death guard army to try the rules and see if I enjoy it first. Wanted to make a DG or World Eaters heresy army, this is going on hold.
I tabled an orc player in two turns and was in turn tabled in two turns by the new knights. Unless you are playing the most meta list vs another most meta list then one player is going to get annihilated pretty much 100% of the time. The game right now is extremely lethal, the tables are extremely tiny and the only way to play is to create a more deadly ball of overlapping auras, abilities and stratagems than your opponent. Then again, it pretty much always has been like that in all the editions I played. By turn 2 it was pretty clear who was going to win 95% of the time, it is just that in this edition it is much more obvious. I don't think I ever turned around a game where I felt like I was losing in my 15 years of gaming.

Sorry to interfere w the tabletop talk, but I wanted to give a quick shout to Empires of the North, a spinoff from Imperial Settlers. The designer (not gonna look up how to spell his crazy last name, but it's Igancy) has several other excellent games that we also own. I haven't played a bad game by him so far.

pic5632669.jpg

(not my pic)

Anyway, my oldest son owns our copy of the game as it's his favorite, and he owns all the expansions. We've been playing for several months, about a dozen sessions. It's cool. The fact that each faction has its own tailor-made deck is my favorite part. The ideal strategy in these economic games tends to get pretty monolithic after awhile if the players are paying attention to one another and stealing efficiencies/strategies. So to shake things up, something else is added like a "special events" deck or a unique faction power (which this game has) or drafting (which this game doesn't have). Each faction is split between to versions, so there are two Japanese tribes, two Eskimo tribes, two Egyptian tribes, etc. Each one has a pretty unique way of scoring points, so part of the fun is figuring out how to min/max your faction while trying to interrupt other players' economy (which can be annoying but is rarely a game-deciding move).

Out of all the Ignacy games I've played, this is probably my favorite.

I tabled an orc player in two turns and was in turn tabled in two turns by the new knights. Unless you are playing the most meta list vs another most meta list then one player is going to get annihilated pretty much 100% of the time. The game right now is extremely lethal, the tables are extremely tiny and the only way to play is to create a more deadly ball of overlapping auras, abilities and stratagems than your opponent. Then again, it pretty much always has been like that in all the editions I played. By turn 2 it was pretty clear who was going to win 95% of the time, it is just that in this edition it is much more obvious. I don't think I ever turned around a game where I felt like I was losing in my 15 years of gaming.
Depends whom you play, I live in a big town, Ive tried a few different stores and everyone is chasing the new meta. It's all tau, harlequins and tyranids right now, it gets pretty boring, Once the chaos codex comes out, it will be the new flavor, I'm done with this. I'm keeping my death guard because I love them, I love the lore, I love the models, I love Mortarion, I love everything about them but from now on ill just play them in grimdark future and paint them for myself.

I just bought a anycubic photon mono 4k and a curing/cleaning station and got all the stls for the saurians from onepagerules for peanutts, cant wait to toy with this.

• Strength
Ordered HH2.0. It's only 144 quid from Element games, and I'll be getting any Forgeworld stuff I need from my friendly local knock off merchant.

Going to go with Loyalist Emperor's Children with a Salamanders Allied Detachment, just to be a bit different.

Emperor's Children test model done. Think I've found a decent but quick method for the squads, and some colours that will translate well to better painted characters and vehicles.

CTIkEKO.jpeg

rcEMUlj.jpeg

The GW Citadel white paints really are a bit toss though. Anyone have any recommendations from other brands?

EDIT: Wasn't satisfied with how the colours came out in that first pic. These are closer to reality.

Last edited:
Emperor's Children test model done. Think I've found a decent but quick method for the squads, and some colours that will translate well to better painted characters and vehicles.

CTIkEKO.jpeg

rcEMUlj.jpeg

The GW Citadel white paints really are a bit toss though. Anyone have any recommendations from other brands?

EDIT: Wasn't satisfied with how the colours came out in that first pic. These are closer to reality.

I remember White being a pain to work with when I painted my 40k armies. I always basecoated in white as a result, in the cases where there were any white/lighter portions on a model.

• This tbh
I remember White being a pain to work with when I painted my 40k armies. I always basecoated in white as a result, in the cases where there were any white/lighter portions on a model.
I usually go with light beige or grey undercoats, depending on the models colour temperature.

With these though, I'm doing black with a purple spray, from a 45% angle above, to give a quick uniform layer and zenithol, that I can build upon with a lighter purple drybrush and purple ink wash for shadow.

The white I did with a grey base coat over that, then layers of white over the grey, but bugger me but it just was not going on smoothly. I think it might just be Citadel whites going bad far quicker than usual, because it was just not going on as smoothly as it had done previously, or other colours that same age or older still are.

Last edited:
  • Brain
Reactions: DonDonDonPata
Get white from other manufacturers like AK Interactive or Vallejo. GW's white is really obnoxious to work with. No serious painter I know uses it.

• Brain
Got myself a 3d printer, this and opr will be it for a while.
I wish I had the space for a 3D printer. That and I have pets running around, so I just can't have a load of dangerous chemicals sitting about where a cat or rabbit could get at it.

• Brain
Reactions: Mal
I wish I had the space for a 3D printer. That and I have pets running around, so I just can't have a load of dangerous chemicals sitting about where a cat or rabbit could get at it.
Also got a cat and rabbit!

I made an enclosure for it with a fan that directly blows out the fumes outside, didnt want to take any chance!

• Brain
Has anyone ever played Gamma Wolves? Everywhere I look I see people discussing the models they've built for the game, but no one actually discusses the mechanics or specific load outs or anything.