Thread: Tabletop, RPGs, Board games |OT| But mom those aren't toys! They are models!
Official Thread
IMG20221012232815.jpg

some mud, grime and dirt, wouldn't look right if the tanks look like they just rolled out from the factory

IMG20221012232815.jpg

some mud, grime and dirt, wouldn't look right if the tanks look like they just rolled out from the factory
I'm tempted to kitbash some Legion Serfs with brushes, washcloths, buckets of soapy water and fresh paint to thematically explain why my Emperor's Children look pristine.

The Salamanders I plan on making after will be getting the grimy weathering treatment though.

I'm tempted to kitbash some Legion Serfs with brushes, washcloths, buckets of soapy water and fresh paint to thematically explain why my Emperor's Children look pristine.

The Salamanders I plan on making after will be getting the grimy weathering treatment though.
There is of course an official model who's entire job it is to clean up all the mess ;)

99120101363_BTHighMarshalHelbrechtLead.jpg

I would think the Emps Children would have a bunch of washcloth-and-bucket-servitors.

Did my bases for my ogors, used vallejo rough grey pumice, sand and little stones, i like the texture it gave the bases. Not too sure on how I want to paint them now, i'd like snow bases. Ive got one pot of valhallan blizzard but I'm sure it's not enough for all of these bases.

Anyone ever did some snow bases?

• Brain
Reactions: Kadayi
welp, I had The Talk with my 11yr old son, who has expressed interest in the Blood Bowl 2nd edition starter set for christmas. I sat him down and Explained that tiny plastic models are a big responsibility, that when you love a sprue you'll treat it with care and respect, and that Games Workshop is a dirty whore that shouldn't be trusted (more or less the substance of our conversation)

He seemed to Get It, so I busted out my old 40k painting tools and we're gonna first practice some ink-washing on the models in some of our boardgames (Blood Rage, Grind, and Battletech are in our sights). Should be fun to pass these skills on to at least one of my kids, since I've been quits on the hobby since before they were born.

• Star
Reactions: Mal and mcz117chief
Time for another Rhino:

yv4q4d6e5jy91.jpg

"Drive me closer, I want to hit them with my sword!"
The sword is magnetised, so I can swap it for e.g. bolter, volkite, etc. so that I can use it as indicator for what squad is inside the Rhino.

Also continuing work on my Ebon Keshig:
IMG_20221108_223903.jpg

And decided to put some of my Tyranids on parade:
jr2xxatsokv91.jpg

nomnomnom

And some not-Warhammer for a change, new display cabinet allowed me to put my painted Mechs on parade:
c12rpdygokv91.jpg

wrpbedygokv91.jpg

They look really good, the only thing is that I would paint the nipples a different shade.
Yep, I agree. Lots of little details I want to come back to after I'm done with the whole 2k OPR army. It was supposed to be a rushed speedpaint job and I find myself painting a few hours every night lately lol

At that rythm Ill never get them done, especially the 20 gnoblars proxies Ive printed

I went to my first casual tournament in 15 years. The organizer asked us to put together some fun, not totally busted, lists so I obliged and played a very unoptimized Guard. Even then I managed to score a respectable 5th place out of 12.

I went to my first casual tournament in 15 years. The organizer asked us to put together some fun, not totally busted, lists so I obliged and played a very unoptimized Guard. Even then I managed to score a respectable 5th place out of 12.
Well done! Did you use the new codex or were the organisers still asking guard players to keep using the oldest codex still in active use? Who did you play against and how did your matches go?

Well done! Did you use the new codex or were the organisers still asking guard players to keep using the oldest codex still in active use? Who did you play against and how did your matches go?
Arrright, so regarding the new codex first. The books are only available via the new box set which has been arriving here for the past 2 weeks, most people got it Wednesday last week but since I play Steel Legion there really isn't anything worth anything in that box aside from the book and I personally don't like the cover so I'll wait for the normal one. The organizer said he'll give us a definitive answer by Sunday (the day of the tournament) but he never did and he didn't ask me to rebuild my list which I submitted so I played with the old codex, naming my army appropriately "The Last Hurrah". Nobody else played the Guard so it wasn't an issue.

Here is a link to the tournament

Now how it went.
The first game was against Kyrylo, who plays the Death Guard. 11 - recover the relics. The game was pretty back and forth. I went along one side of the table he the other and we kind of ran in circles around each other until he took his Death Star (note: that means a lot of strong units supported by a lot of strong characters to buff everyone up the wazoo) to the middle and pushed me around. It went pretty good, my biggest "problem" is that I didn't care much about faction specific secondaries so I wasn't hunting for points as much as I could by a long shot. I'm pretty certain that if I were to take more care in selecting my secondaries it would be at worst a draw since our play-style and units were pretty evenly matched. 43 - 68

The second game was a stomp. 13 - Data scy-salvage. I took the first turn and went straight for the objectives blasting left and right. The guy played Ultramarines but was extremely timid, he kept his Death Star in his deployment zone fearing that I would take out his characters so he just sat there, taking pot shots and whenever something dared to come out it got blasted instantly by my combined firepower. He did have one objective (outside of his deployment zone) and did some of his easy faction specifics so he got a few points by the end. He was also playing very slowly so we couldn't finish in time and he didn't want to Talkhammer (knowing full well that be would get wiped) so only agreed to stationary scoring. 75 - 35 (would have been 100 - 25)

The third game was the best. It was against Morti's pewter Sisters of Battle (an Old Guard like me) and since I also play mostly pewter guard (Steel Legion, Storm Troopers etc.) it was a really great moment, like meeting on the Elbe. 22 - Conversion. As you can see from the deployment the potential for hilarity is infinite on this map. We both agreed to go full tilt and deploy as close to one another as possible, right on the edge of the inner circle so we were just 18 inches apart. A total bedlam ensued. He had a ton of cheap infantry units to throw into the grinder and I had a lot of grinders ready to receive them (two basilisks, a Lemon, bunch of heavy weapons etc.). Then we started deploying our reserves, his Eversor and my Storm Troopers and it just kept going. The game was very swingy, since he took the first turn he was in my face immediately and started pushing me back but by turn 3 I managed to clear out all his elite units and started pushing back but since he had his faction specific secondaries by the end he scored more points than me. But at the beginning it was looking like a 0-100 game almost honestly, he pushed his entire Death Star onto my deployment on turn 1 (as expected) and those 2+ sacrosancts with auras and cover buffs are tough nuts to shift. 66 - 84

Last edited:
That knights christmas box is so sexy. I dont play 40k anymore and this is way too many points in OPR but from a modeling and painting view, damn. I might grab it

• Strength
Reactions: DonDonDonPata
The Knights box is pretty much an army by itself, in that sense similar to the Custodes box that also gives quite a lot of points per pound.

Reactions: Mal
Bikes on bases, yuck!
Doesn't work without them, the Khan for example has a metal body that seriously unbalances him on the plastic bike, no chance he'd stand upright without a base. Most of the others have also a tendency of falling over without base, their tyres are just too round.

• Brain
Reactions: mcz117chief
Doesn't work without them, the Khan for example has a metal body that seriously unbalances him on the plastic bike, no chance he'd stand upright without a base. Most of the others have also a tendency of falling over without base, their tyres are just too round.
I just haven't seen that before honestly.

The Knights box is pretty much an army by itself, in that sense similar to the Custodes box that also gives quite a lot of points per pound.
Two boxes and you've got yourself an army. I'm trying to get two boxes, don't know if it'll be possible

I want to paint them all traitor legions, heresy style.

I just haven't seen that before honestly.
This is Warhammer, everything is on a base :D I'm somewhat surprised tanks haven't been placed on bases yet, albeit some Ork buggies already are...
Two boxes and you've got yourself an army. I'm trying to get two boxes, don't know if it'll be possible

I want to paint them all traitor legions, heresy style.
If you're good with hitting the refresh button this Saturday at 10am on your online retailer of choice you should have a good chance ;)

This is Warhammer, everything is on a base :D I'm somewhat surprised tanks haven't been placed on bases yet, albeit some Ork buggies already are...
Hell no to vehicles on bases, that just looks fucking terrible. Back in the days Flames of War had vehicles on bases and it just looks so stupid.

blogger-image-232949530.jpg

That is just pure hell. Compare it to this

GBX99-2.jpg

Anyway, I looked on the web and some people put bikes on bases and others don't so I suppose it is down to individual taste.

Hell no to vehicles on bases, that just looks fucking terrible. Back in the days Flames of War had vehicles on bases and it just looks so stupid.

blogger-image-232949530.jpg

That is just pure hell. Compare it to this

GBX99-2.jpg

Anyway, I looked on the web and some people put bikes on bases and others don't so I suppose it is down to individual taste.

tbh I always just glued those same clear circular bases used for flying units (landspeeders, grav tanks, etc) onto the bottom of bikes (and certain Warhammer chariots and beasts). Helps give more stability to those long, narrow, top-heavy units .

tbh I always just glued those same clear circular bases used for flying units (landspeeders, grav tanks, etc) onto the bottom of bikes (and certain Warhammer chariots and beasts). Helps give more stability to those long, narrow, top-heavy units .
Those bulbous ones? Doesn't that make the model float or is there enough room to make it look normal?

Reactions: DonDonDonPata
Those bulbous ones? Doesn't that make the model float or is there enough room to make it look normal?

maybe they don't make em anymore but there were small clear ones (for flying Nid swarms, etc) and larger clear ones (for the landspeeders, etc). The smaller ones were nice for bikes and fit underneath. also I liked to paint em + flock em to be used like a normal base for a land unit. The smooth shape looked better/worked just as well as the "normal" bases.

If you're good with hitting the refresh button this Saturday at 10am on your online retailer of choice you should have a good chance ;)
Just pre-ordered them from my LGS, with their usual 15% off. 221$ cad each box, that's a steal, the big knights are going at 170$ on their own

Reactions: Makariel