WD 750 2tb Nvme
WD 850x 4 tb Nvme
WD 850x 2 tb NVMe x 2
Crucial MX500 4tb x3
Crucial MX500 2tb

Connected to
77 C1 OLED
Dolby Atomos Surround Sound 5.1.2

Nice setup! Have you consider moving that PC off the carpet and out of sight somewhere? A fiber optic cable run would allow you to move it and connect it to the TV. I have mine in my office and a 200ft fiber cable connecting it to my Home Theater room.

Nice setup! Have you consider moving that PC off the carpet and out of sight somewhere? A fiber optic cable run would allow you to move it and connect it to the TV. I have mine in my office and a 200ft fiber cable connecting it to my Home Theater room.

I haven't really with it being a "show pc". I've tweaked it and chosen parts so it's always completely silent. I don't have much dust but the case has dust filters over every intake etc. Been there for two years so I'm happy enough. I'm always tweaking etc and its nice to have easy access. :)

I have this weird line in the middle of my screen.
Anyone an idea what could cause it? Seems like a hardware failure...

pxl_20231122_14233551plcwk.jpg

Is that bang in the middle of your monitor (horizontally)? You have an ultra widescreen? Can you show a few more captures?

Try YouTube grey screens see if it'd still there. Do you use multi window view much? Looks like screen burn.

It's a VA panel and no I don't use multi window much. It's also exactly in the center of the screen. Weird shit and I don't want the hassle of replacing it but it's distracting, you really see it in games.

Yes it's a widescreen monitor and it's dead center in the middle.

It's hardware failure, usually. Screens have two "panels" (at least the ultra wide ones) I think (I see this all the time with mine, when I update drivers and the screen flashes). Seems one of the two sides has issues. From the screen, I notice the left one is ever so slightly darker?

I have this weird line in the middle of my screen.
Anyone an idea what could cause it? Seems like a hardware failure...

pxl_20231122_14233551plcwk.jpg

A couple of quick Google results briefly mentioning possible reasons and potential solutions, pointing to Reddit of course - both seem to be talking about that same issue:

• Triggered
Reactions: IrishWhiskey
A couple of quick Google results briefly mentioning possible reasons and potential solutions, pointing to Reddit of course - both seem to be talking about that same issue:

Yes I already saw them but none of the things mentioned there work for me. I swapped cables, changed refresh rates, turned off everything from the Nvidia control panel, turned GSync off, HDR non HDR, factory reset of the monitor, nothing changes it.

• Coffee
Reactions: Joe T.
Picked up th Asus tuf F15 4070, 1tb storage at bustbuy for under 1000. Seems like a good deal. It's still on sale if anyone is interested.

• Cheers
Reactions: Mickmrly
This seems like a very good deal. What do you guys think?

Very good deal, and hey, I own that monitor, bought it recently.

Overall, it's damn amazing for the price. And the HDR actually does make a difference in many games, they do look noticeably better. And to my surprise, the blacks are actually rather deep. Not total dark OLED style, but very good and way better than on an IPS panel. Totally black scenes show some light bleed on the edges if you look for it, but during normal use it's really nice. The curve totally rocks in games.

Buuuuuut there are two issues you should be aware of:

1. While the response time itself is fast, the pixel response time isn't. It's a VA panel thing and you don't notice it during gaming. Only when you have bright text on a dark background like on Twitter, scrolling through it the white text nearly disappears for some milliseconds because they need to catch up with the scrolling movement. It's rather distracting but again, basically only happens with bright text on dark backgrounds.

2. There's some weird auto dimming going on sometimes, when a scene is very dark and there are small bright elements, it dims everything. Can be irritating on some online content and can happen in games when you play at lower brightness. Didn't notice it with HDR yet, but have to test if it happens there as well. It's rare, but weird sometimes.

These issues aren't deal breaker for me, I mostly use it for gaming and I'm having a great time with it.

• Brain
Reactions: Ascend
Very good deal, and hey, I own that monitor, bought it recently.

Overall, it's damn amazing for the price. And the HDR actually does make a difference in many games, they do look noticeably better. And to my surprise, the blacks are actually rather deep. Not total dark OLED style, but very good and way better than on an IPS panel. Totally black scenes show some light bleed on the edges if you look for it, but during normal use it's really nice. The curve totally rocks in games.

Buuuuuut there are two issues you should be aware of:

1. While the response time itself is fast, the pixel response time isn't. It's a VA panel thing and you don't notice it during gaming. Only when you have bright text on a dark background like on Twitter, scrolling through it the white text nearly disappears for some milliseconds because they need to catch up with the scrolling movement. It's rather distracting but again, basically only happens with bright text on dark backgrounds.

2. There's some weird auto dimming going on sometimes, when a scene is very dark and there are small bright elements, it dims everything. Can be irritating on some online content and can happen in games when you play at lower brightness. Didn't notice it with HDR yet, but have to test if it happens there as well. It's rare, but weird sometimes.

These issues aren't deal breaker for me, I mostly use it for gaming and I'm having a great time with it.

No ghosting?

• Brain
Reactions: regawdless
I just discovered this. How did I not know about this before? This is awesome tech, especially for laptops and mini PCs.

Last edited:
  • Shocked
Reactions: Mickmrly and XOR
I'm really good at killing my Windows installation. A short while back I killed Windows while trying to enable Smart Access Memory. This time I killed Windows while trying to do a clean boot. I cleaned the boot so well that even Windows wouldn't start.

It was a lot harder to recover on this occasion, but I did it. My master boot record was completely messed up. Last time I fixed things with the built in command prompt. This time, I had to actually create a new WIN10 boot drive, because the 0xc000000e error I was getting is no joke. Nothing was working without the USB Windows Boot Drive. No auto recovery, no system restore point, not even command prompt. The funny thing is, that while I was trying to fix the boot settings by accessing command prompt through the USB drive, my USB drive itself was being edited in the process, and wouldn't work after a reboot. I had to recreate the USB boot drive at least 4 times.

Now I'm installing windows on a USB drive as well, to do my experiments. I don't want to do something that I ultimately can't fix, as the issues I create seem to be getting harder.

• Shocked
Reactions: Mickmrly
I'm really good at killing my Windows installation. A short while back I killed Windows while trying to enable Smart Access Memory. This time I killed Windows while trying to do a clean boot. I cleaned the boot so well that even Windows wouldn't start.

It was a lot harder to recover on this occasion, but I did it. My master boot record was completely messed up. Last time I fixed things with the built in command prompt. This time, I had to actually create a new WIN10 boot drive, because the 0xc000000e error I was getting is no joke. Nothing was working without the USB Windows Boot Drive. No auto recovery, no system restore point, not even command prompt. The funny thing is, that while I was trying to fix the boot settings by accessing command prompt through the USB drive, my USB drive itself was being edited in the process, and wouldn't work after a reboot. I had to recreate the USB boot drive at least 4 times.

Now I'm installing windows on a USB drive as well, to do my experiments. I don't want to do something that I ultimately can't fix, as the issues I create seem to be getting harder.

You are a really patient guy Ascend. I back up my files on a portable HDD and if Windows chucks I fuss I just wipe it clean and add back the files I need.

I even wiped my main PCs Ubuntu install because I was sick and tired of troubleshooting a wifi dongle, but it turns out after all it was a problem with the home router/modem and DHCP. 😖

Anyone ever used Moonlight streaming app? Apparently its great to stream games and movies to other devices including other TVs, Steam Decks etc and even with HDR. Going to try it later today.

lol CS 1.6 is STILL getting patches, this is the second this month alone:

• Fixes for joining games through invites and Steam friends list.
  • Miscellaneous UI fixes for Dedicated Servers.
  • Fixed an occasional crash when opening the scoreboard.
  • Fixed camera movement after death in multiplayer.
  • Fixed crash when creating a server if the server creator's Steam name was entirely non-ASCII characters.

Anyone got any experience setting up and running their own media server? Plex/Jellyfin etc. Kind of dived in at the deep end but got my Jellyfin server is setup and working. Shows with lots of specials are a nightmare to organise, everything else has been fairly smooth sailing.

Seeing a good VA monitor side by side with an IPS, the difference is huge, especially if the VA has good HDR.

Did you check out the wide screen thread? Might be better to just get a bigger 16:9. Easier to increase the FOV without losing the real estate.

The people who shill for IPS and shit all over VA drive me nuts.

However, I am an OLED convert. Fuck IPS and VA in the asshole.

OLED is amazing, but too expensive and I have my PC monitor running all day long basically, not too thrilled about burn in issues because of the extreme usage.

OLED is amazing, but too expensive and I have my PC monitor running all day long basically, not too thrilled about burn in issues because of the extreme usage.

Das why you envoke that 3 year warranty! They gonna give me a new monitor!

You're not wrong though. The every 4 hours 10 minute refresh is annoying. But dem blacks!

Das why you envoke that 3 year warranty! They gonna give me a new monitor!

You're not wrong though. The every 4 hours 10 minute refresh is annoying. But dem blacks!

I have a 55inch amazing OLED next to the PC, I sometimes game there as well. But man, that ultra widescreen experience is so good and the HDR on the VA monitor was still pretty good.

Reactions: Nikana