Thread: AI News Discussion Thread

Kreese

Ensuring Transparency

“Extremely impressive.” “Incredibly rich.” “Super exciting.”

That’s how tech leaders are describing ChatGPT, the new conversational chatbot model released last week by OpenAI.

The bot builds on existing GPT natural language technology developed by OpenAI, the San Francisco-based organization formed by tech leaders Sam Altman and Elon Musk, and backed by Microsoft, which helps power the back-end cloud computing for OpenAI products.

But the latest update sparked huge reaction over the past week — and more than 1 million users — given how ChatGPT is able to quickly answer complicated questions and instantly produce content.

For example, we asked it to write a short news story about the Seattle startup ecosystem, and the result was relatively on point. It can easily do homework or create weight loss plans or even draft lines of code. The tech is making college professors rethink how they create exam questions.

“There’s a certain feeling that happens when a new technology adjusts your thinking about computing,” said Box CEO Aaron Levie. “Google did it. Firefox did it. AWS did it. iPhone did it. OpenAI is doing it with ChatGPT.”

But there are already concerns being raised about the technology, part of a newer group of language models called “generative AI,” such as the ability to discern when something is created by a machine or not, or misuses and unintended consequences.

And for now, the bot is not always accurate or truthful. Seattle tech vet Jensen Harris, co-founder of Textio, shared a response from ChatGPT describing “The Ohio and Indiana War,” which, of course, did not happen.

Can't say I knew much about this. I just assumed it was like a chatbot (as the name suggests), but apparently not. This thing will draft letters etc for you. o_O

Reactions: AJUMP23 and Kreese
RQrbgF.png

RQrcXr.png

Either way, this is some cool tech. Pretty amazing that we will soon be able generate bullshit that looks somewhat convincing at first glance about any topic in the same way we can quickly search Google for information on a topic.

Either way, this is some cool tech. Pretty amazing that we will soon be able generate bullshit that looks somewhat convincing at first glance about any topic in the same way we can quickly search Google for information on a topic.

Less than a month until the chat bot is hitler….. I mean Kanye.

These tech achievements almost worry me as much as they amaze me. Tech is becoming too powerful too quickly, I'm not sure the potentially disastrous negatives are worth the cool positives.

For one, our education systems are already compromised, look at the kids they are churning out today and then imagine what they'll do with this in their hands to "educate" them.

• Brain
Reactions: Eneru and Mirabilis
Bruh, I was able to get it to create a lasso tool in Processing. Super cool.

image.png
image.png

The process was interesting where I would input the code it's giving, get an error, tell it I got the error, it fixes the code, rinse and repeat until you get what you want. Feels like how actual programming works.

• Brain
Reactions: Mirabilis
You have to give them your telephone number, so they can censor and report you, limiting the things you can ask. Fuck that shit. As long as these services aren't unlimited and I can ask taboo questions, it's useless authoritarian bs.

What taboo questions you want to ask the AI @FactsAreDead?
Everything, from stories about Hitler winning, to stories like the famous "Lolita", to stories about trans-women being evil cunts. Whatever is taboo. Creators of a tool shouldn't be allowed to limit creativity. The same is happening with those AI Art-services right now. Until they're open source, they're shit.

Why did he reference firefox? Tabs are amazing, but not really a huge tech breakthrough.

So has 4chan turned it racist yet?

Edit:you have to log in to use it. Fuck that

Reactions: p_xavier
Love how all the media people are freaking out. Means this is a good thing.

Still hoping that a free, open source, non-censored version goes online soon.

I tried this two times to help me come up with ideas for articles I had to develop about specific professions for a corporate blog I write for. It was great. I developed my own text on top of it as it had a lot of repetitions and such but it's an impressive tool.

• 100%
Reactions: CloudNull
Everything, from stories about Hitler winning, to stories like the famous "Lolita", to stories about trans-women being evil cunts. Whatever is taboo. Creators of a tool shouldn't be allowed to limit creativity. The same is happening with those AI Art-services right now. Until they're open source, they're shit.
He lost, get fucked. lol

Of course artists are review bombing it already.

• Shocked
Reactions: CloudNull
He lost, get fucked. lol

Of course artists are review bombing it already.

To be fair, the book IS trash.

Less artists would have been butthurt about "AI" art if it wasn't actively using their art as a part of their databases without their consent. These image generators will never replace real artists, so there is a bit of a hysteria going on, but I do understand the sentiment of not wanting people to use your artwork for this kind of shit.

Last edited:
  • Brain
Reactions: Mickmrly
To be fair, the book IS trash.

Less artists would have been butthurt about "AI" art if it wasn't actively using their art as a part of their databases without their consent. These image generators will never replace real artists, so there is a bit of a hysteria going on, but I do understand the sentiment of not wanting people to use your artwork for this kind of shit.
The book may be trash but the whole consent debate is bullshit.

As soon as you upload anything into social networks you sold your soul and they can do whatever the fuck they want with your images. The only way for an artist to completely avoid that is going off the grid and that's virtually impossible.

The book may be trash but the whole consent debate is bullshit.

As soon as you upload anything into social networks you sold your soul and they can do whatever the fuck they want with your images. The only way for an artist to completely avoid that is going off the grid and that's virtually impossible.

That's not how anything works.

• Funny
Reactions: lock2k
That's, not how anything works.
Yes, it is. If you don't want anything scraped, go off the grid. IT folks scrape other people's works all the time. That's how modern stuff works. Whenever you use something for free... you are the product!

Besides, why is it illegal for an AI to learn something from an image if a human being could do the same? I'm not an illustrator, but I'm an artist at heart (a musician, but it doesn't pay my bills) and I'm using the fuck out of AI to help me come out with ideas and composing new shit. It will be as huge as photography, or digital editing, or the advent of TV and Radio, there's no going back and the Luddites will get fucked.

Yes, it is. If you don't want anything scraped, go off the grid. IT folks scrape other people's works all the time. That's how modern stuff works. Whenever you use something for free... you are the product!

No, it isn't. Art theft is and always has been a legal issue, even in the internet age.
Besides, why is it llegal for an AI to learn something from an image if a human being could do the same?

Because there's an obvious difference from a human learning from other people's artwork and creating something new based off what they've learned, and a database built off of others works literally chopping images up and grinding them together from visual noise. Calling this tech "AI" to begin with is stretching the term from what I've been told by "experts" on the subject.

Even the best artist can't 100 percent copy the skills and techniques of another person without directly tracing someone's work, but they can very easily take what they learn from them and make something new thanks to their own individual perspective as a person. Technology however doesn't have that limitation.
This argument has been beat to death by those more learned than me, but I have no

It will be as huge as photography, or digital editing, or the advent of TV and Radio, there's no going back and the Luddites will get fucked.

It will have its own corner of the net, but I believe you're overestimating the interest in machine generated art. Once all of the legal issues are straightened out(which is happening as we speak) things will settle down. This techs been out there for years now, and practically nothing has really changed for actual artists. NFT bros have a new angle to exploit, but otherwise it's been business as usual despite the outrage.

The "Luddites" will stick to what they know, just as those who didn't find digital art appealing stuck to traditional art, and are doing just fine.

• Coffee
  • Funny
Reactions: Snes nes and lock2k