Thread: Nioh - Poor Man’s Sekiro

Dr. Farnsgoth

Clique Commander
Platforms
  1. Nintendo
Been playing the Nioh remaster on PS5. Never played it before but I’m a massive Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro fan. Unfortunately I’m pretty mild on Nioh. Many aspects are copies of Souls/Bloodborne but worse. Things I don’t like about it include:
  • The game is hard but unlike the From games, it doesn’t feel fair. When I die in a From game, I generally understand why and the game shows me what I need to do to improve. Nioh just feels cheap for the sake of it.
  • The combat involves toggling between three stances and a light and heavy attack in each. I don’t really understand the point of the middle stance and tend to stick to switching between the high and low stances. It’s not particularly intricate and is quite repetitive.
  • It’s a loot game. I fucking hate loot games. They’re a lazy excuse for devs to not think about itemisation. Also I cringe whenever I see the WoW style item colouring. There’s no need for this in a single player game. Didn’t like it in God of War either.
  • Related to the above, crafting is a big part of Nioh. I don’t mind crafting in some games but not at the expense of interesting and unique items.
  • The story is non-sensical anime tripe.
What do I like about it? Not a lot. It’s very grindy so if I want to just switch off and level up it’s ok for that. The soul matching system for weapons is kinda interesting. This involves sacrificing weapons to upgrade the level and stats of other weapons. Overall though, apart from a couple of interesting but not revolutionary systems, I’m just not finding many redeeming features.

2/5

Those who liked it, what am I missing?

Reactions: bonk and Arc
I did not like Nioh either. I have the same gripes as you. However, and this is a big however, I loved Nioh 2. They have improved upon almost every aspect of the game. It feels more fair and it is still tough, the environments are better, story was ok-ish (though nothing to write home about). It is still a loot game (which I also hate), but you don't really have to dab in crafting at all, I didn't craft a single item.

For reference, I love Dark Souls (all three) but I could not get along with Sekiro at all. I found it way too difficult and too restrictive.

Reactions: Dr. Farnsgoth
As a lad who’s only into SoulsBorne lore wise, I can’t share my opinion on the matter. But what I can share though is that I returned to Sekiro last February.

Decided I’d have to step my patience game up and I did. Now Sekiro is on my top 10 games of all time. I reached so far in the game even I can’t believe it

The animations, mechanics and everything in this game is well crafted! Glad I decided to give the game another chance

As for Nioh, I played the first and was bored to death. All I saw was a Souls rip-off and that’s it. Didn’t even bother to continue. Though I am hearing lots of praise on Nioh 2

I did not like Nioh either. I have the same gripes as you. However, and this is a big however, I loved Nioh 2. They have improved upon almost every aspect of the game. It feels more fair and it is still tough, the environments are better, story was ok-ish (though nothing to write home about). It is still a loot game (which I also hate), but you don't really have to dab in crafting at all, I didn't craft a single item.

For reference, I love Dark Souls (all three) but I could not get along with Sekiro at all. I found it way too difficult and too restrictive.

Sekiro took a while to click with me but once it did I really loved it. I was too used to shield and roll from Souls and had to get used to actively defending instead of just getting out of the way.

I wasn't big on Sekiro but give me it over Nioh any day of the week. Nioh felt so much like a free-to-play game with its endless useless loot and repeating the same levels and crap. It has shortcuts you can open like Dark Souls but there's nearly zero reason for them to exist, it's like they wanted to design it like those games and didn't know how. The boss battles are quite often trash because so many bosses can 1 shot kill you with certain attacks and beating them is a chore without looking up online some specific way to do so. I know it has fans because of how the combat mechanics work but get those mechanics in a superior game please.

I liked the first Nioh a lot, but it's hard to disagree with your points.

With that said, Sekiro is totally different. It's a fantastic game (except for that fucking last boss), but really only offers one playstyle, which sets it apart from FROM's other Souls-like games.

My biggest issue with the Nioh games is reusing levels and bosses. They may as well have called The Golden Castle 'The Rebossening'.

And don't get me started on the late game in the first.

My biggest issue with the Nioh games is reusing levels and bosses. They may as well have called The Golden Castle 'The Rebossening'.

And don't get me started on the late game in the first.
Yea you are right, late game on first reused alot. 2nd one was top 3 games of year for me least year.

• Brain
Been playing the Nioh remaster on PS5. Never played it before but I’m a massive Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro fan. Unfortunately I’m pretty mild on Nioh. Many aspects are copies of Souls/Bloodborne but worse. Things I don’t like about it include:
  • The game is hard but unlike the From games, it doesn’t feel fair. When I die in a From game, I generally understand why and the game shows me what I need to do to improve. Nioh just feels cheap for the sake of it.
  • The combat involves toggling between three stances and a light and heavy attack in each. I don’t really understand the point of the middle stance and tend to stick to switching between the high and low stances. It’s not particularly intricate and is quite repetitive.
  • It’s a loot game. I fucking hate loot games. They’re a lazy excuse for devs to not think about itemisation. Also I cringe whenever I see the WoW style item colouring. There’s no need for this in a single player game. Didn’t like it in God of War either.
  • Related to the above, crafting is a big part of Nioh. I don’t mind crafting in some games but not at the expense of interesting and unique items.
  • The story is non-sensical anime tripe.
What do I like about it? Not a lot. It’s very grindy so if I want to just switch off and level up it’s ok for that. The soul matching system for weapons is kinda interesting. This involves sacrificing weapons to upgrade the level and stats of other weapons. Overall though, apart from a couple of interesting but not revolutionary systems, I’m just not finding many redeeming features.

2/5

Those who liked it, what am I missing?
You actually capture my opinion of Nioh pretty perfectly. I tried it for like a good 8+ hours and I still didn't like it for the reasons you listed.

• Star