ExpandKong

Post-Approval Survivor
Platforms
  1. PC
  2. Xbox
  3. PlayStation
  4. Nintendo
E5nWuOtWUAod4Vg

7 inch OLED screen, "enhanced audio," wired LAN port in the new dock, wider adjustable stand, 64 GB onboard storage. October 8th. New dock is compatible with older Switch models and vice-versa. MSRP $350 supposedly.

Doesn't seem to be any 4K output or otherwise improved internals. Battery sounds comparable to the V2 Switch at least.

Last edited:
Features: (No noticeable internal improvements bar the 64gb of internal storage)

Nintendo Switch (OLED model) console

Nintendo Switch (OLED model) console
Size 102mm x 242mm x 13.9mm (with Joy-Con controllers attached)
Please note: 28.4mm at the thickest, from the tips of the analogue sticks to the ZL/ZR Button protrusions.
Weight Approx. 320g
(With Joy-Con controllers attached: 420g)
Screen Capacitive touch screen / 7-inch OLED / 1280x720 resolution
CPU/GPU NVIDIA customised Tegra processor
System memory 64 GB

You can increase your console's storage with compatible microSD cards (sold separately). For more information on compatible microSD cards, please visit our support section.

Please note: a portion of the internal memory is reserved for use by the system.
Communication features Wireless LAN (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac compliant) / Bluetooth 4.1
In TV mode, it's also possible to use a wired LAN connection.
Video output Maximum resolution: 1920x1080, 60 fps
Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode. In tabletop mode and handheld mode, the maximum resolution is 1280x720, which matches the screen resolution.
Audio output Supports linear PCM 5.1ch
Please note: output via HDMI cable in TV mode.
Speakers Stereo
USB terminal USB Type-C terminal
Used for charging or for connecting to the Nintendo Switch dock.
Audio jack 4 pole stereo 3.5mm mini plug (CTIA standard)
Please note: Nintendo cannot guarantee functionality with all products.
Game card slot Exclusively for Nintendo Switch game cards.
microSD card slot Compatible with microSD, microSDHC and microSDXC memory cards. Please read our microSD Card FAQ for more information on compatible microSD cards.

Please note: an update via an internet connection is required to use microSDXC memory cards.
Sensors Accelerometer / gyroscope / brightness sensor
Operating environment Temperature: 5 - 35°C / Humidity: 20 - 80%
Internal battery Lithium ion battery / battery capacity 4310mAh
Please note: the internal battery cannot be removed. If the battery needs to be replaced, it can be replaced for a fee via Nintendo Customer Support.
Battery life Approx. 4.5-9 hours

The battery life will depend on the games you play. For instance, the battery will last approximately 5.5 hours for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Charging time 3 hours approx.
Please note: this is the time taken to charge while the console is in sleep mode.

Reactions: ExpandKong
OLED and the bigger screen space is nice, but that’s about it. $349... maaaybe down the road i might, since i mostly play handheld.

But for a premium, kinda dissapointed.

• Brain
Reactions: Yawnson and Kadayi
No update from me if the improvements are minimal at best. I'm going to assume Nintendo are just working on a successor to the Switch at this point.

Not what I wanted out of an improved model but oled is nice. Doubt I would make the jump unless my switch died.

349 Dollars means it could possibly cost 399 Euro in Germany :/
Not sure what to think about this at the moment. "Insiders" skewed my expectations so much that I feel disappointed, yet Nintendo themselves never once promised any stronger hardware, so ... ugh. Feels bad. The thinner bezels look super nice, though.

I also want to apologize to @brainchild, hope you read this. I remember you being one of those actual insiders that said the "tape out" process had not yet started, so a Switch Pro was unlikely for the year. I said some harsh words about that (elswhere), because I *wanted* the DLSS-Switch to be out this year. You were right and that needs to be stated firmly.

Meanwhile, I hope people stop giving NateDrake and Emily any attention anymore. These two, plus Bloomberg, were the major driving forces behind the DLSS-Switch rumor mill and I'm not willing to accept another "oh, plans have changed" excuse. These two should just stop hinting or anything. The current disappointment happened because of them.

Feel like this pretty well confirms that we won't be getting a true Switch Pro this generation at all. While this looks like a great improvement over the launch model (and I may still jump on board because of that), I think the best that anyone can hope for if they want a Switch Pro is a backwards compatible Switch 2.

All good improvements to the regular switch but I don't see myself upgrading as the successor is closer rather than farther away. Kickstand improvement would be the biggest to me as the one it comes with it literally unusable whenever I try to use it.

Well, that’s a waste of time. Thanks Nintendo 😕
Nintendo is only being fair to the original customers. Everyone gets the same Switch bar a few minor adjustments. If anybody wants a "stronger" Switch they will have to wait for a new generation. I find this attitude far superior to the constant guessing when the next "pro" PlayStation or Xbox launches and whether it is a good idea to buy one now or wait a year or three.

Absolutely no reason to buy this if you already have a Switch, but I guess it's a nice option for people who don't already own one.

Personally, I've never used my Switch undocked so I could care less about a slightly larger screen and slightly better sound.

Reactions: Kuranghi
Its pretty cool and a nice upgrade, just 349$ just for more storage and a bigger screen.

Since everyone was expecting 4K output its a disappointment. Price also as well is just to juice people.

Anyways I will now wait for everyone to say wait till October Nintendo will announce the secret 4K function and show this Switch is actually twice as powerful as the PS5.

I really hope this ends the ‘OMG true!’ leaks that have particularly plagued the Nintendo community. Three years people waited, for an aesthetic freshen-up and a better screen, along with a few niceties.

As someone who’s come to appreciate image quality a lot (watch DF for a few years, and you too can become an autist), I’m let down, as is, I imagine, much of the enthusiast crowd Nintendo seems to be targeting, that lower res base PS4/XBone ports are going to continue and that we won’t see Nintendo’s upcoming lineup in 4K resolutions.

I had visions in my head of Doom and others getting to respectable resolutions, and BotW2 looking extra gorgeous.

Still, I sometimes wonder what we expected from a relatively cheap (compare to phones/tablets) handheld with a teeny little fan, that has to run less advanced than PS and Xbox, but still advanced 3D games? One that’s probably also constricted by SoC choice and compatibility. Did we set ourselves up for this? Did we get carried away with the rumors, even if we thought we weren’t?

Still, I love what we have. It’s actually one of Nintendo’s cooler upgrades, disappointment aside, and seems aimed at a very atypical audience for them. I’d like to see more of this in the future, with separate enthusiast models. I’d just also like that to come with the image quality enthusiasts expect.

Absolutely no reason to buy this if you already have a Switch, but I guess it's a nice option for people who don't already own one.

Personally, I've never used my Switch undocked so I could care less about a slightly larger screen and slightly better sound.

See, I on the other hand play mostly in handheld but I see this and I wonder how long it's gonna be before they refresh the Switch Lite line with an OLED screen, better battery and nicer speakers, because I would probably jump on that but the more I look at this the more I realize I just don't really have any need or desire for it.

Still, I sometimes wonder what we expected from a relatively cheap (compare to phones/tablets) handheld with a teeny little fan, that has to run less advanced than PS and Xbox, but still advanced 3D games? One that’s probably also constricted by SoC choice and compatibility. Did we set ourselves up for this? Did we get carried away with the rumors, even if we thought we weren’t?
To elaborate on this, to get to 4K, Xbox One went from 1 teraflop, to 6. A six-times improvement in performance just to sort of do 4K, but often fall short to 1800p. We’re talking advanced cooling systems (for a console), the works.

I just do wonder how much is possible on silicon 100% compatible with the OG Switch (can’t have a new start and break compatibility mid-stream), at around $400, and in this form factor.

The original Switch is 4 years old and has not had a price drop. This would have made sense if it replaced the old model at the same price. Charging $50 more for this tiny upgrade after all these years is lame.

I'm pleased with this revision overall.

My Switch is now four and a half years old and showing a few signs of age, slightly weaker battery life, a louder fan, and a couple of cracks from heat, so I'm more than happy to upgrade my OG system. As others have said, from a aesthetics POV, this system is very, very nice. I love the new colours, the dock and the kickstand (which I'll never use). Definitely looks a little more premium and "enthusiast", no bad thing.

The OLED screen is going to make a huge difference to how good games look. Not that there's anything wrong with the current LCD, but the OLED will be a substantial and welcome change. I know many expected DLSS and a new chip, so it is kind of disappointing not to get that. The idea of a "4K Switch" and it being on terms with the current gen consoles was always laughable, but understanding how DLSS works and what it's actually designed to do, it felt like a cheap, workable and very Nintendo-like way of freshening their games up a little, and yes, allowing upscaling to 4K. Without good art direction, some games are starting to look a little dated. In terms of raw power, it was never going to get anywhere close to even a base Xbox One or PS4.

As for the leakers, LOL. I stopped paying attention to any of them a very long time ago, but they've shown their asses yet again, and like Arc, I hope die-hard Nintendo fans will stop giving them the cash and oxygen their obvious grift craves. I had come to my own (incorrect) conclusions that we'd see an SOC update based on news that Nvidia were ending production of the Tegra X1, so I don't really know where that leaves us. The Switch is a custom Tegra X1, so maybe that's not part of that production line. I'd also read they'd recently made a big purchase of chips at a bargain basement price, so had assumed they were going into older models, potentially w/ a price cut. Who knows, everyone is guessing anyway. Official details still say "CPU/GPU NVIDIA customised Tegra processor", which I guess is still open to interpretation, but I'm not desperate for more power in any case, it still does the job. Sure, it would be nice if some games ran a little more smoothly, but it's not the end of the world. We should also probably have a chat about those Joy-Cons. I hope they've changed the materials in the analogue sticks as a bare minimum.

I don't know what this means for the future or a Switch successor, but I am perfectly happy with the current and coming software on Switch, with the exception of couple of big games that run badly, so there's still plenty for me to play, and handheld just became even more appealing. My biggest concern is a new console in 2-3 years and how much of our Switch library, if any, will transfer over. I've done the dance or rebuying shit for current-gen convenience enough times over the past 15 years and I'm not prepared to do it again. Take a leaf out of MS's playbook.

The price is another concern. There's simply not enough here, in my view, to justify the $50 increase. The new screens are now likely even cheaper to produce than the LCDs in the OGs and "enhanced audio" and an ethernet port are not $50 additions. A 300 Euro price point is going to be at least 20% higher for me as I don't live in an "officially supported region", but I guess once I sell my OG model I could probably upgrade for around 150, which I'm perfectly content with after almost five years.

Also, kudos to Nintendo for just dropping this on YouTube unannounced. I'm growing more and more tired of the hype around video games and the constant build up that often only leads to disappointment. This was a nice and unexpected surprise for a pretty average Tuesday afternoon.

Reactions: Arc and ExpandKong
Yea, that's a pass from me. I like OLED and all, but if that's really all they're doing that's of note, and a $50 increase? Nah.

Nintendo is only being fair to the original customers. Everyone gets the same Switch bar a few minor adjustments. If anybody wants a "stronger" Switch they will have to wait for a new generation. I find this attitude far superior to the constant guessing when the next "pro" PlayStation or Xbox launches and whether it is a good idea to buy one now or wait a year or three.
I don’t mind that. But at least they can do better tech-wise no? So releasing a new Switch just for an OLED is being fair to the original users? Come on now :)

The original Switch is 4 years old and has not had a price drop. This would have made sense if it replaced the old model at the same price. Charging $50 more for this tiny upgrade after all these years is lame.
This could be a price hike. Consider that if they replace the current model with this model then they would have officially changed the price from $300 to $350. Given the hardware shortages, they may do that.

Reactions: JORMBO
I don’t mind that. But at least they can do better tech-wise no? So releasing a new Switch just for an OLED is being fair to the original users? Come on now :)
Nobody feels left behind I mean. Early adopters had it rough last gen especially on Xbox.

Not bad but not the upgrade most Nintendo fans wanted, saying that the OLED screen and better speakers are awesome to those that mostly play handheld and I will probably upgrade for those features alone, yeah I'm a sucker

Nobody feels left behind I mean. Early adopters had it rough last gen especially on Xbox.
Oh there will be people feeling left behind because they don't have OLED and they play 100% portable

You understand what I'm trying to say here right? The whole existence of this is unnecessary

Held off buying a Switch, so I'll be picking this model up if I decide to get one. It'll be interesting to see how Nintendo manages to survive on the same chipset for several more years.

Just got done putting my thoughts in an article. I think it's important to put blame where it ought to be put, and that is not Nintendo, as disappointed as me and many people are right now:

On another note, I think I will buy the new Switch model. I like the Switch too much and the thinner bezel and bigger screen with better colors will make games plenty of more beautful. Selling my old Switch will give me at least 100 bucks, probably more. And I can't see them launching ANOTHER new hardware before the end of 2022. I'm too old to wait an entire year for another upgrade that might or might not come.

Now if only Nintendo released some meaningful new games, too. 'cough* Monolith Soft *cough*

Oh there will be people feeling left behind because they don't have OLED and they play 100% portable

You understand what I'm trying to say here right? The whole existence of this is unnecessary
I get you, but this will drive sales again. You got people who have the old and want the new, the ones who's Switch is in a bad shape and were eying a new one or those who want (a new) one for a friend or family member. I am actually thinking about getting it and selling the old one to my brother who was getting interested or to a pawn shop if he wouldn't.

• Brain
Reactions: Mista
This thing is going to sell like hot cakes. Switch's audience is more casual. I bet they are more impressed with OLED 7 inches and a better stand then the would be with DLSS/upscaled 4K.

Nintendo found a way to have a price INCREASE LOL. Whats next start charging 89.99 for Mario Kart 8 and Smash LOL.

Ok so money on who price cuts first PS5/XSX or Switch? My money is on Sony/MS over Nintendo at this rate.

So a current gen Switch 2 must be closer than many expect, probably late 2022 or early 2023.

Still, I super want this, but my original is still fine, so I can't realistically justify one.

GAME UK has preorders up. The console itself is priced at £309, so looks as if it's gonna be £30 more than the current model.
Link:

• Brain
Reactions: Stilton Disco
Waste of goddamned time, but it's cool for people who haven't bought a Switch yet, I guess. Not really sure why anyone would care about an OLED screen if it's the same low resolution and lacks HDR, though...

Oh well, I should be glad I won't be spending a few hundred dollars on a shiny new toy.