Thread: Nintendo says it will focus on more original game series in the future

Mista

Fox Hound

Platforms
  1. PC
  2. PlayStation
  3. Nintendo
nintendo-logo-large-red-white.jpg

Nintendo president Shuntaro Furukawa has said that the company will invest in more original games in the future, in addition to supporting its core franchises.

Speaking in a new Japanese interview with Nikkei (paywall), Furukawa said the company would commit to creating more original game franchises in the future, and emphasised that the Switch firm would need to continue to innovate in order to maintain its relevance within the increasingly competitive home entertainment marketplace.

With the expansion of time spent at home, the range of ‘entertainment’ as an object of consumption is expanding. Games are not a necessity of life. In order for customers to choose games in their finite time, they have to be interesting. Competition is tough, and I am not optimistic. I myself am looking at and studying various forms of entertainment. In the future, we will focus on creating new game series as well as long-sellers such as Mario and Zelda. We are constantly building up ideas for the new consoles the market is expecting, but there are some things we can’t do now due to technology and cost constraints

I think it’s a good time to do this.

Nobody makes a sequel like Nintendo — usually three to five years between installments, and can feature some fairly radical rethinks and ideas. It’s an underrated aspect of them. Even if they’re making all the same franchises on a loop, the constant evolution and sometimes revolution, along with the long breaks, keeps things very fresh.

That said, I’ve been doing this a while now. A hardcore fan since 2000? That loop is becoming very noticeable twenty years and five generations on. Every time a new system comes out, we repeat that same loop again, and over time, there’s been a lot less new additions to it.

Bringing some fresh ideas into the mix seems just the thing, especially with this unprecedented success right now. Keep your tentpoles, of course, but create more wacky, fun ideas like Splatoon and Arms. That example alone shows that this can result in new series, or just an enjoyable one-off, but it’s totally worth the try.

Reactions: John Day
I mean ... that excerpt sounds great, especially the "I am not optimistic". Always assume the worst and give your best. However ... where is it? 2020 was shit already for Nintendo 1st-party games, 2021 actually managed to be even worse so far. I really hope Furukawa will reveal plans that fit his words sooner rather than later.

When he's talking about investing in more original games, I hope he means venturing into types of games not part of the majority lineup right now. To be concrete, new original games I hope to see from Nintendo:

- a cinematic 3rd-person game (I'm thinking of their version of Uncharted, but with less shooting/killing and more platforming and puzzle solving. Basically an Indiana Jones-like game)
- a horror-game (could be Project Zero 6 or a revival of Eternal Darkness)
- a WRPG (yes, I'm still sad about RetroStudio's Raven Blade being cancelled. But even that aside, WRPG is something Nintendo just doesn't have atm. This could be great fit for Monolith Soft's unknown medieval action-rpg ip)
- a 3rd-person brawler/racing mix (a F-Zero-game that's a mix of F-Zero and Yakuza and has you walk around a futuristic city as Captain Falcon, beat up opponents on the street, talk to shady guys in gloomy bars, and then take it to the racing track)
- revival of Star Tropics as a de facto-"traditional Zelda-formula" replacement now that BotW took Zelda into a different direction. Plays like pre-BotW 3D-Zeldas
- give us the "Captain N- The Game Master" game that's basically Nintendo's answer to Kingdom Hearts. You play as Kevin Keene and traverse various classic Nintendo-universes to save everyone. Masahiro Sakurai would be the perfect guy to helm such project
- Endless Ocean 3!

I think with the above, Nintendo would have a truly "complete" lineup, something from every genre and aimed at teenagers and adults. What Nintendo doesn't need is more ARMS or Splatoon, there's already plenty of that. Now it's time to diversify to stay true to the "Nintendo has games for everyone" mantra.

Reactions: Rock And Roll
As much as this news pleases me, I’ll believe it when I see it.
Yeah. I feel like Nintendo has a habit of saying things they’d like to do, but when reality hits, those things don’t happen. Furukawa is relatively new though, so we’ll see.

Yeah. I feel like Nintendo has a habit of saying things they’d like to do, but when reality hits, those things don’t happen. Furukawa is relatively new though, so we’ll see.
ARMS was excellent. Labo was interesting. Ring Fit was sensational, I really loved it. But outside of that I haven’t seen much new to get excited about from Nintendo. Bar BOTW and Galaxy adopting a 20 y.o. approach to game design (which was appreciated), I think Nintendo have played the Switch incredibly safe.

I’d love to see them resurrect old franchises from the 64 or GC era or create something entirely new, but I just don’t see it coming from 2021 Nintendo. Furukawa seems very business-minded. I have a feeling he’s the type of CEO that only greelights 100% guaranteed successes and isn’t prepared to take much risk, despite what he said in the OP.

Reactions: Arc
- a WRPG (yes, I'm still sad about RetroStudio's Raven Blade being cancelled. But even that aside, WRPG is something Nintendo just doesn't have atm. This could be great fit for Monolith Soft's unknown medieval action-rpg ip)
When I first read this I thought of a Waluigi RPG. That could be a new direction for them, a Waluigi RPG in a medieval setting.

• Funny
Reactions: Arc