Thread: Next-gen PlayStation VR is reportedly 4K, has vibration motor and foveated rendering

Mista

Fox Hound

Platforms
  1. PC
  2. PlayStation
  3. Nintendo
playstation-vr-768x431.jpg

Details of Sony’s new PlayStation VR headset have reportedly leaked.

According to multiple UploadVR sources, Sony’s upcoming hardware will offer a resolution of 4000×2080 pixels (2000×2040 per eye), which is slightly less than current market leader HP Reverb G2 and a bit more than the Oculus Quest 2.

It will also include a vibration motor allowing developers to provide direct haptic feedback, a lens separation adjustment dial, and gaze tracking capable of foveated rendering, Sony has reportedly informed partners.

UploadVR reports:

Taken altogether, the new features define a truly next-generation virtual reality experience planned by Sony for PlayStation 5 owner

I'm going to be annoyed if this doesn't launch until Fall of 2022 and they are already hyping it up with the controller reveal and this info.

I want this shit right away and I want it to come out with Half Life Alyx and a RE8 patch.

• This tbh
Reactions: El Rey
I'm going to be annoyed if this doesn't launch until Fall of 2022 and they are already hyping it up with the controller reveal and this info.

I want this shit right away and I want it to come out with Half Life Alyx and a RE8 patch.
Well if developers are just now getting specs and prototype hardware (based on what they said recently that kits would be going out soon) I dont see a launch this fall. Especially with all the HW shortages going on. I am going to bet we get a full reveal with demo games this fall for a Spring 2022 launch along side GT7 with full support.

Colour me slightly interested for the foveated rendering. Wonder if this will mitigate my main complaint with VR at the moment.
I just hate it so much that I cannot focus on stuff that's a bit farther away.

Curious what kind of image quality they'll be able to achieve. With the high fps target needed for VR, they will most likely use the AMD super resolution thing or some sort of other reconstruction tech.

Either way, I love VR and am glad that they will push it further.

Well if developers are just now getting specs and prototype hardware (based on what they said recently that kits would be going out soon) I dont see a launch this fall. Especially with all the HW shortages going on. I am going to bet we get a full reveal with demo games this fall for a Spring 2022 launch along side GT7 with full support.
Yeah that seems to be our best case scenario, but will they actually do it? A spring launch doesn't seem like it's leaving a lot of time to be ready with software.

I'd love to see it happen, though. Maybe the more critical launch developers have had the specs a little longer and have been able to get ready for it.

"Gaze tracking" you perverts have nowhere to hide 😂

Looking forward to PSVR 2 think it will elevate VR as a whole. I almost jumped on the PC VR bandwagon but decided to wait on the next generation headsets.

• Funny
Reactions: Arkam
No discussion of FPS in that article, as far as I can tell and that's just as important (if not more so) than the resolution.
The last headset was 120hz, so I'd hopefully assume they wouldn't be going backwards.

They even managed to get a handful of games running native 120fps on the crappy old PS4.

The last headset was 120hz, so I'd hopefully assume they wouldn't be going backwards.

They even managed to get a handful of games running native 120fps on the crappy old PS4.

Isn't the Quest 2 "only" 90fps? and not an OLED screen. It was more advanced in a few ways.

• Cheers
Reactions: Grinchy
Yeah that seems to be our best case scenario, but will they actually do it? A spring launch doesn't seem like it's leaving a lot of time to be ready with software.

I'd love to see it happen, though. Maybe the more critical launch developers have had the specs a little longer and have been able to get ready for it.
In normal times I’d say spring/summer 2022 for sure, but with the CoVID world it all comes into question. I say that based on the fact that if the kits have already gone out, it’s safe to say that Sony internal teams have had access for a few months (at least). So I could see things like VR support for GT7 or A new Astrobot game easily getting done by then. And to bolster a “launch” Sony just needs to money hat a couple of VR games that look promising and already far along in development. Getting the components to build the HW and the logistics to bring to market seem to be the real issue.

All I know for sure, is that I am so ready for this headset. Since Sony is apparently doubling down on VR for the second Gen, I expect some increased first party support.

• Strength
Isn't the Quest 2 "only" 90fps? and not an OLED screen. It was more advanced in a few ways.
Yeah, I think all of the PC headsets are only 90Hz. Maybe there are some weird lesser known ones that are higher. It was always surprising that the PSVR headset was 120Hz. And of course its ability to diminish the screen door effect despite running at a lower resolution. All reasons I can't wait to see Sony's next VR offerings because they did so many interesting things the first time around.

Reactions: Arkam
Yeah, I think all of the PC headsets are only 90Hz. Maybe there are some weird lesser known ones that are higher. It was always surprising that the PSVR headset was 120Hz. And of course its ability to diminish the screen door effect despite running at a lower resolution. All reasons I can't wait to see Sony's next VR offerings because they did so many interesting things the first time around.

It would be great to have a PSVR 2 that was compatible with PC and PS5 out of the box. The PSVR 2 connecting to the PlayStation store and desktop.

A man can dream 😄

Mind that been said cheaper to buy a PS5 AND PSVR 2 than a Valve Index 😆

• Cheers
whats that? Are Akimbo controllers like the ones valve has?
Akimbo just means held in each hand instead of both hands clutching one piece of plastic. The Wii remote + nunchuck and the PS Move dildos were akimbo, too. Very comfy way to play, even if just playing a standard game w standard inputs.

quick edit:

Curious what kind of image quality they'll be able to achieve.

Foveated rendering cuts down on rendering "costs" while at the same time giving the visuals a more realistic appearance, since it more closely mimics how a human's field of vision operates.

It's one of those clever "tricks" that has emerged as companies explored VR tech. Pretty much any vr headset is gonna want to use it to save on processing cost.

• Brain
Reactions: Eneru
People keep talking like foveated rendering is included, I just don't believe it. It might be 'possible' but nothing is confirmed, I'm skeptical since it's never actually been done before in a consumer grade headset.

• Eye-tracking capable of foveated rendering

`Capable of` doesn't sound guaranteed at all to me. Perhaps for some specific titles, through software, but for all titles.. yeah I don't believe it at all.

• Brain
Reactions: DonDonDonPata
The n3DS has eye-tracking to smooth out the 3D effect. I don't see why it would be hard for Sony to do it with the improved tech and added advantages of being enclosed in a dark headset + closer to the user's eyes.

The n3DS has eye-tracking to smooth out the 3D effect. I don't see why it would be hard for Sony to do it with the improved tech and added advantages of being enclosed in a dark headset + closer to the user's eyes.
It's a far cry from Nintendos tech to true eye tracking foveated rendering, there is a reason no one has really done it yet, it's expensive and needs some pretty crazy hardware to actually properly track your eyes. Now, I'm not saying they couldn't create something in software to make a bigger 'sweet spot' in the center of the screen and defer some of the rendering on the fringes to increase performance in some games, but everyone is talking like it will be full foveated rendering for all games and I just can't see it, not yet, not on a consumer grade headset.

Reactions: DonDonDonPata