Thread: Native English speakers please advise - is an aggressive reply acceptable?

King of Foxes

Penny for your thots
Platforms
  1. PC
  2. PlayStation
I wont post pictures as this is work related but a complaint has been raised by a native English(Canadian) speaker in our department against a local non native English speaker, and then the local raised a return complaint.

The gist

Local sent an email to the Native English speaker

no greetings or signature just

Get this done asap i want to finish on time (referring a below email)

Guy from Canada replied advising it will be done but in future learn some politeness when speaking English as he isnt a piece of shit to be spoken down to

They both then made a formal complaint about each other, we in the management team agree the first email was rude but the Canadian explained to us that his reaction was valid, there is one other native speaker online in the office today, an Australian who said the Canadian was very polite considering the circumstances.

The only issue i have with the reply is the word shit, im pretty sure thats a no no even in native speaking companies right?

*edit - in terms of pay grades the Canadian is above the local but not in a direct manager way or anything like that. Canadians job requires a master and locals just a degree, day to day they would interact maybe once a month during closing or if there was a discrepancy

• Coffee
Reactions: Dr. Farnsgoth
I wouldn't normally bother with a greeting if it was just tacked onto an email chain to be honest.

'Native English' guy sounds like a dick though - you're right in that using 'shit' in a workplace email is unprofessional, and the dig about 'learning politeness when speaking English' to a non-native speaker is condescending at best in my opinion.

Tell him to dry his eyes and get on with his work, or you'll have him cancelled as a racist. :)

As a native English speaker I think both the Canadian reply and the Australian input are both being over sensitive. The initial email is lacking formality but not insulting. I suppose the Canadian wants his hand to be held and his ass kissed at all times, not surprising considering he is probably a rich woke Canadian. The Aussie is probably also rich and woke from Melbourne, the wokest of all Australian cities.
When I was working abroad I had an annoying boss that said a whole lot more than please be done as soon as possible. The Canadian and Aussie from Melbourne should have their man passes revoked immediately and their soy rations confiscated.

Fuck the Canadian guy. He's a piece of shit by virtue of being Canadian (I jest).

Tell him he's being culturally insensitive by expecting all Eastern Europeans to have a perfect command of the English language and polite sensibilities. Remind him that Latvia is based and his sissy-boy whining and Karen-like attitude isn't going to do him any favours endearing him to the locals. Remember, your local staff member has a lot of work on his plate, he's stressed out, and he hasn't got time to sit around a fairy out a nicely-worded and polite email. He's also being paid way less than his Canadian colleague due to injustice and imbalance in the global economic order. I'm sure Mr. Canada wouldn't want to trade places with him.

In all seriousness, it seems pretty gay that he made a complaint. He should get over himself.

As a native English speaker I think both the Canadian reply and the Australian input are both being over sensitive. The initial email is lacking formality but not insulting. I suppose the Canadian wants his hand to be held and his ass kissed at all times, not surprising considering he is probably a rich woke Canadian. The Aussie is probably also rich and woke from Melbourne, the wokest of all Australian cities.
When I was working abroad I had an annoying boss that said a whole lot more than please be done as soon as possible. The Canadian and Aussie from Melbourne should have their man passes revoked immediately and their soy rations confiscated.

I wouldn't normally bother with a greeting if it was just tacked onto an email chain to be honest.

'Native English' guy sounds like a dick though - you're right in that using 'shit' in a workplace email is unprofessional, and the dig about 'learning politeness when speaking English' to a non-native speaker is condescending at best in my opinion.

Tell him to dry his eyes and get on with his work, or you'll have him cancelled as a racist. :)

The Canadian is usually a solid guy, been here years and never something like this. The Australian swears a lot in general which is why i didnt put much value in his input, plus they are friends. The local is also in general a bit of a dick, he knows his stuff but has had other fights with people in the office, he once told a group of people celebrating a birthday to make sure they put the dishes back in the correct kitchen, i cant remember if it was the Canadians team or not but i wouldnt be surprised.

Course of action is to just tell people to be polite to each other going forwards and ignore the complaints. lol

Imagine management actually having to deal with such stupid shit.

When people filed complaints like that, I sat down with them and calmly explained what their tasks in our company are and that they aren't paid to be little butthurt bitches. And that they should concentrate on all the issues in their projects/departments that they're paid to solve.
Of course not in such a blunt wording. Still very diplomatic but clear. They're adults, stop fucking crying and do your job.

Imagine management actually having to deal with such stupid shit.

When people filed complaints like that, I sat down with them and calmly explained what their tasks in our company are and that they aren't paid to be little butthurt bitches. And that they should concentrate on all the issues in their projects/departments that they're paid to solve.
Of course not in such a blunt wording. Still very diplomatic but clear. They're adults, stop fucking crying and do your job.

The joys of working for a swedish bank, i have been here 11 years in Feb and its always (since i was a manager at least ) the case that any complaint that reaches the department head is discussed with the whole manager team, 9 people plus the head. Issues are discussed and then we all give feedback and then the head makes a decision and passes it back to the relevant manager.

I have never actually worked in a professional environment anywhere else but from what i hear and understand this is an entirely Nordic way of management. We are also told to discuss team issues between other managers but we rarely do.

Staff additional bonuses are also discussed in this way. Everyone gets an annual bonus but two people per team are given an additional bonus however for my team I have minimal input and its based on who is visible and noticed by other managers. So people are always being pushed to be visible, take part in this or that project it will be good for you blah blah.

But the money is great so im still here.

and just what you want at the end of the day...it was agreed that the two direct managers and the team members would meet to discuss.

the Canadian replied, direct quote copy and paste with names edited

"Fine with me, I have made my point that I do not expect respect but just ask for common courtesy."

The local replied

"I agree and will say i just send you email to make your work easier because i need this done today. I do not think to talk to you like a sh**(actually wrote that) even if you think of yourself as a piece of sh**, maybe some does that to you and so you fear it = i have never meant to slightly express it as a disrespect. Maybe cultural difference i expect you will accommodate it soon. In future talk to me and not my superiors, talk to me directly"

I did have a chuckle at that but really the problem was never the local, everyone agreed at the start he is just one of those people, it was always the word shit. But basically nothing will happen to either unless someone escalates more, everyone is on the Canadians side due to his track record of not being a weirdo

The joys of working for a swedish bank, i have been here 11 years in Feb and its always (since i was a manager at least ) the case that any complaint that reaches the department head is discussed with the whole manager team, 9 people plus the head. Issues are discussed and then we all give feedback and then the head makes a decision and passes it back to the relevant manager..

So many well paid people shouldn't be able to spend any time on such useless topics. Someone needs to come in and optimize the shit out of you ineffective bunch of pussies.

Who owns that company? Can you give me his/her number? I would offer to significantly decrease management costs while boosting productivity. 😅 😅

• Brain
The Canadian, surprise surprise, needs to stop being an utter Nancy and grow some bollocks.

One advantage of being British, is the totally unfounded arrogance we mostly all still carry makes us really hard to insult, since we condescendingly think anyone foreign is just trying their best when attempting to communicate with us, and we were being polite while hating them already, just on principle.

• Brain
In my experience its fine to send emails to peers/direct reports without salutation or signature. Just here are some facts or direction. A snowflake might feel its "harsh' but who cares as long as its just facts and actions.

Now in practice I usually always address the person/group and offer a "if you have any questions or concerns please let me know" and then a neutral "cheers" and my signature with contact info.

But again if its an 'in group' person I might skimp on the formality. If they are not someone I frequently communicate with I keep it all business and courteous.

In the US swearing in an email is a major no-no (unless you are the head of a private company). In slack or in person it is one thing, but an email is something you take time to craft and has a FOREVER retention. If you are a manager swearing at a direct report it can land you in hot water depending on the time/place/tone/etc.

Also as an American the whole Native English vs Canadian sent me through a loop as I forget about the french speakers lol

• Brain