Face/Off
Platforms
  1. PC
PLAY ME

Mortal Kombat 1

Release Date:
September 14th Deluxe/19th Standard.
Formats: PS5/Series X|S/ Switch & PC.
Price: $69.99 Standard, $109.99 Premium.
Size: 32gb Switch, 114gb Current Gen (140gb with 4k textures).

Kronica has fallen, however at great cost. To save everyone Liu Kang champion of Earth realm has reset the timeline and forged a new reality. With the power of the Hour Glass a new world has been created filled with warmth and light. The sins of the past and the relentless war has reached a brief respite and all people have a chance to embrace a new life unaware of the past. Previous enemies have now become allies, locations ravished by war, now teem with life. However events in this time line cannot be fully controlled, new threats will emerge and bitter rivalries and memories may yet resurface.

Announcement Trailer:

Gameplay:
Mortal Kombat 1 has been confirmed to feature a story mode, online multiplayer with rollback netcode, and offline gameplay. The game will introduce a feature called Kameo Fighters, which will provide assistance to the player during fights. These characters will be separate from the main roster, and chosen before each fight. Additionally, the Air Kombat combo system which was featured in both Mortal Kombat: Armageddon and the action spin-off Shaolin Monks returns, and is being refined for this game.

Features:
24 Playable Characters
14 Kameo "Assist" Characters
Cinematic Story
Invasion Board Game mode
VS & Challenge Towers
Customisable Gear
Crossplay (but not for launch)

Screenshots:

sha256-30d3482f63f5614f6ea426be47c527565d9854bb319165961b79151151d0bdad.webp

sha256-49e4c8ab64e5d7680ca34fef5a2d1bf2ce979dcb3ccc9ea8fc10e80e3d623f1d.webp

Trailers:
Lin Kuei

Umgadi

Keepers of Time

Banished

Rulers of Outworld

Megan Fox becomes Nitara

Launch Trailer

The Roster:

Base Roster:
  • Baraka
  • Johnny Cage
  • Kenshi
  • Kitana
  • Kung Lao
  • Li Mei
  • Liu Kang
  • Mileena
  • Raiden
  • Rain
  • Scorpion
  • Shang Tsung (Pre-order exclusive)
  • Smoke
  • Sub-Zero
  • Tanya
  • Geras
  • Reptile
  • Ashrah
  • Havik
  • General Shao
  • Sindel
  • Nitara
  • Unknown
Kameo Characters (Tag Assists)
  • Jax Briggs
  • Kano
  • Darrius
  • Kung Lao
  • Sonya Blade
  • Sub-Zero
  • Goro
  • Stryker
  • Erron Black
  • Cyrax
  • Sektor
  • Frost
  • Sareena

Kombat Pack 1 DLC (inc with Premium Edition)
  • Ermac
  • Homelander
  • Omni-Man
  • Peacemaker
  • Quan Chi
  • Takeda
  • Ferra (Kameo)
  • Johnny Cage (Kameo)
  • Khameleon (Kameo)
  • Mavado (Kameo)
  • Tremor (Kameo)

Critical Reception:
TBC

Nice OT @Hostile_18 !

Do we know when the review embargo lifts?

I'm not sure but the pre load on Steam just went live and the game releases for Deluxe owners tomorrow. It must be very soon.

What's super strange/exciting is that the 24th character hadn't been leaked at all. The story has and it (apparently) makes no reference to who it could be. All the preview copies, even the Switch copies in the wild have just a plain silhouette over that character space.

When Megan Fox was leaked by Colin Moriarty back in May, he also said Travis Scott was in the game. Still it's super fucking strange, like nothing in the code at all that gives it away.

Reactions: regawdless
I'm not sure but the pre load on Steam just went live and the game releases for Deluxe owners tomorrow. It must be very soon.

What's super strange/exciting is that the 24th character hadn't been leaked at all. The story has and it (apparently) makes no reference to who it could be. All the preview copies, even the Switch copies in the wild have just a plain silhouette over that character space.

When Megan Fox was leaked by Colin Moriarty back in May, he also said Travis Scott was in the game. Still it's super fucking strange, like nothing in the code at all that gives it away.

Curious, usually stuff like that always gets leaked.

Curious, usually stuff like that always gets leaked.

Yeah apparently the day 1 patch adds "Gear" for the characters as well. Some have speculated its return of Create a Fighter (apparantly there is some justification for it in the main game story). I just can't see it myself. They just did the final Kombat cast and no announcement.

Doesn't seem like anything is worthy of this amount of build up or effort to hide it. Practically no sense marketing wise now, unless it's literally for launch day.

• Brain
Reviews are starting to come in;

Gaming Age: A

IGN: Review in Progress (Postive)

Screen Rant 3.5/5

VG247 4/5

Video Game Chronicle 5/5

Bloody Disgusting 4.5/5

Press Start 9.5/10

Last edited:

Glad both this and Starfield include their first expansion packs but yeah looks like it's a trend that is going to stay for anticipated titles. Imagine the money something like GTA could bring in. Still better than substantial content been exclusive to an edition.

• Brain
Reactions: lock2k
Early reviews slightly better than I expected. Seems everyone is praising the games story. Glad variations are gone, trying all the different character + kameo combinations will be so fun.

Early reviews slightly better than I expected. Seems everyone is praising the games story. Glad variations are gone, trying all the different character + kameo combinations will be so fun.

If there's one thing this game did right was getting rid of the variations. I hated them.

• 100%
Reactions: Hostile_18
I did wonder if you would get it as I noticed you had MK 9-11 on Steam. We will have to have some games sometime, once I've proper dived into the Single Player stuff.

Absolutely! I'm up for some kombat!

Well, the thing is, I played 90+ hours of MK11 and it was the first fighting game I managed to really like and get kompetent at. SF6 got me buying an arcade fight stick, so might as well make use of it.

Plus, I'm on hols atm and game purchases are filed under holiday expenditure :LOL:

• 100%
Absolutely! I'm up for some kombat!

Well, the thing is, I played 90+ hours of MK11 and it was the first fighting game I managed to really like and get kompetent at. SF6 got me buying an arcade fight stick, so might as well make use of it.

Plus, I'm on hols atm and game purchases are filed under holiday expenditure :LOL:

Yeah I feel the same about MK11 such a good game. Coincidentally I'm on holiday this week as well. Now Jade looks to be out of the game (for now) I honestly have no idea who will end up being my main. Even after I do choose it will be interesting which Kameos work best with my fighter. Do I choose one that enhances their strengths or covers their weaknesses etc.

Yeah I feel the same about MK11 such a good game. Coincidentally I'm on holiday this week as well. Now Jade looks to be out of the game (for now) I honestly have no idea who will end up being my main. Even after I do choose it will be interesting which Kameos work best with my fighter. Do I choose one that enhances their strengths or covers their weaknesses etc.

Same. Jade was my main in KM11. Really liked the style and move set, especially with the bo.

Same. Jade was my main in KM11. Really liked the style and move set, especially with the bo.

She will almost certainly be back. Seems like they have keeping certain groups of characters out the story for now. Outworld (Her, Kotal, Devorah and Erron) and Special Forces (Sonya, Jax, Cassie and Kano). If we get another story expansion I expect both to feature.

You must be anxious as hell. Gives us the impressions later. I'm curious

I'm about 1 hour into the MKX story from doing all of MK9. I think I may just skip to the Atermath DLC as I've only played that once (MK10 and 11 twice).

Friend is coming round at 4. So will probably be about 8ish I get to play. I'll definitely let you know what it's like. Also who the fuck is in the 24th slot (if any) on the day 1 patch.

I'm currently watching it and in terms of graphics it's probably the most beautiful, graphics-wise, fighter ever made. Too bad I'm not on board with several of the story details they changed and the girls are still fugly in super high def, but the sceneries are AMAZING.

• Strength
I'm currently watching it and in terms of graphics it's probably the most beautiful, graphics-wise, fighter ever made. Too bad I'm not on board with several of the story details they changed and the girls are still fugly in super high def, but the sceneries are AMAZING.

Any chance of you picking it up at some point down the road? :)

The whole reboot to me just sucks, I really liked 11 so this is probably the end for me, hopefully the fighting is good! SF6 is the most fun I've had in a fighting game in a long time though so I've got my fix.

The whole reboot to me just sucks, I really liked 11 so this is probably the end for me, hopefully the fighting is good! SF6 is the most fun I've had in a fighting game in a long time though so I've got my fix.

Oh, I agree, it's just that on a technical level it impressed me, but the story has become so convoluted I don't even understand what's happened anymore.
Any chance of you picking it up at some point down the road? :)

I may at some point.

I'm not sure if it will be a reboot really, I bet the key memories will come back throughout the story.

So first impressions;
Graphics are good. Stages are incredible. Not sure about the character models as they are going for a different art direction this time round and it could go either way as to which you prefer. Tanya has had her face fixed, thank god. Women aren't ugly, but neither are they super attractive. There is no 24th character which I think is a bit morally dubious since the devs said there would be 24 upon launch. Gear system dosn't appear to be as good, only one thing on each character can be changed. Not sure if there's many outfits, I'm told there is but I haven't seen much yet in the obvious places. Gameplay feels like an upgrade from 11, it's a lot faster but not as fast as MKX. Characters feel more fun to play and much more unique to play. than MK11.

There is shader compilation, but there are a few people complaining about technical issues. I'm not getting any (fully maxed) but I wouldn't expect any on my 4090.

Still far to early to tell if its better than MK11 (MK11 lets not forget also is the product of years of extra content and tweaks). Still at the very least it's a good game and feels more fun to play. There's a lot of characters missing and an art style that won't be for everyone, so the jury is still out for a final verdict.

• Strength
Reactions: Dreamlord
Remember what I said about character models been a different style than last game? Well on PC they are super blurry and grainy and not as they should be. Anyways I looked into it and actually found its the 20% sharpness setting that is locked at native resolutions. The solution is to change it to Temporal Reconstruction, set Render Resolution to 100% and then change the sharpness setting from 20 to 100. Character models look so much better and more detailed its unreal. It seems to me almost as if 100 is no post processing, because it's not what you'd typically see if an image was being over sharpened.

Posted the solution on the Steam forums. Works for other people as well.

Remember what I said about character models been a different style than last game? Well on PC they are super blurry and grainy and not as they should be. Anyways I looked into it and actually found its the 20% sharpness setting that is locked at native resolutions. The solution is to change it to Temporal Reconstruction, set Render Resolution to 100% and then change the sharpness setting from 20 to 100. Character models look so much better and more detailed its unreal. It seems to me almost as if 100 is no post processing, because it's not what you'd typically see if an image was being over sharpened.

Posted the solution on the Steam forums. Works for other people as well.

All the footage I watched was from PS5 and it looked superb on it, but I haven't seen PC footage yet.

All the footage I watched was from PS5 and it looked superb on it, but I haven't seen PC footage yet.

It was strange because I thought everything looked great apart from the models were off. I have a 77 screen so I looked close at a character models and it almost seemed what you'd expect at 1080p in terms of texture detail of clothing etc, with a 4k HUD overlay. Not sure what is going on, but the graphics have improved considerably now.

As for impressions I'm doing the story, and really enjoying it. The gameplay is more fun than MK11 and loads of the characters FEEL great to play. Very satisfying moves and sound effects. I do kind of miss the normal grab, now it kind of starts one then calls in the assist to carry it on. Stages are all really varied and beautiful, most have a night time version that looks alot more different/unique than you would expect. Sometimes the variations are a lot more different i,e the Living Forest and the destroyed Living Forest etc. It's a surprise but a lot of the DLC characters feature quite prominently. Voice acting is amazing, but Megan Fox is really poor IMO. Worse then Rhonda for sure.

It was strange because I thought everything looked great apart from the models were off. I have a 77 screen so I looked close at a character models and it almost seemed what you'd expect at 1080p in terms of texture detail of clothing etc, with a 4k HUD overlay. Not sure what is going on, but the graphics have improved considerably now.

As for impressions I'm doing the story, and really enjoying it. The gameplay is more fun than MK11 and loads of the characters FEEL great to play. Very satisfying moves and sound effects. I do kind of miss the normal grab, now it kind of starts one then calls in the assist to carry it on. Stages are all really varied and beautiful, most have a night time version that looks alot more different/unique than you would expect. Sometimes the variations are a lot more different i,e the Living Forest and the destroyed Living Forest etc. It's a surprise but a lot of the DLC characters feature quite prominently. Voice acting is amazing, but Megan Fox is really poor IMO. Worse then Rhonda for sure.

You know what impressed me the most? The way that the fabric moves and looks. Johnny Cage's shirt at the beginning looks so real. It's amazing.

I've been enjoying it so far. I normally only last a few weeks or so with these games before dropping them completely. But one day in, so far so good.

I do prefer not having to choose a fighting style. I'm glad that is gone.

Any news on the 24th character as yet?

Reactions: lock2k
I've been enjoying it so far. I normally only last a few weeks or so with these games before dropping them completely. But one day in, so far so good.

I haven't even picked it up yet but I'm glad that's gone, it was confusing as hell.

Reactions: skeem

No 24th character looks like a NRS employee misspoke, media reported it and no one ever corrected.

• Brain
Reactions: skeem and lock2k