Thread: Microsoft has entered a 10-year commitment to bring Call of Duty to Nintendo
Are we gonna ignore the fact that cod was also on the gamecube and original wii AND ps2 AND OG xbox?

The main takeaway from this I can see is the implicit confirmation that a Switch 2 must be reasonably close to release, and must be within the range of power of the Steam Deck and XSS.

There is no way that future and current gen only COD's will be getting ported to a last gen hybrid system, nor will MS waste money making a Switch 1 only alternative game alongside the main title.

For such a deal to be announced so soon, before the deal to aquire ABK has even been finalised, then I cannot imagine the Switch 2 could be more than 18 months away or, if Nintendo have learnt from their past mistakes, less than a year.

I still hope the takeover deal gets nixed mind. The industry contracting to ever fewer major players, with ever more potential for failure to topple a huge chunk of the industry and leave the door open to monopolistic practices to arise, is not good for anyone.

The main takeaway from this I can see is the implicit confirmation that a Switch 2 must be reasonably close to release, and must be within the range of power of the Steam Deck and XSS.

There is no way that future and current gen only COD's will be getting ported to a last gen hybrid system, nor will MS waste money making a Switch 1 only alternative game alongside the main title.

For such a deal to be announced so soon, before the deal to aquire ABK has even been finalised, then I cannot imagine the Switch 2 could be more than 18 months away or, if Nintendo have learnt from their past mistakes, less than a year.

I still hope the takeover deal gets nixed mind. The industry contracting to ever fewer major players, with ever more potential for failure to topple a huge chunk of the industry and leave the door open to monopolistic practices to arise, is not good for anyone.
COD mobile, which should be on Switch already.

Actually the far-off-nes of the acquisition and for a version to be built doesn't tell us anything of the Switch 2 launch. I do expect it next year as it'll be year 6.

There's no mention of it being a mobile port, and that would be incredibly weird to make an announcement about given the well documented contempt for mobile games amongst the console players this would be aimed at.

Also we're already at the points witch sales are declining. The only way we're not nearing a Switch 2 is if Nintendo intend to repeat the complete balls up that was the transition from Wii to WiiU, letting all momentum die then trying to start over again from zero.

Reactions: Night Sky
Why would Xbox die without it? Lol
Why wouldn't they? So many years of under delivering and offering a far inferior product. Imagine where they would be if not for the acquisitions of Bethesda and ABK, those are pretty much the only things that are keeping them relevant and probably why they are willing to commit so much to Gamepass.

Why wouldn't they? So many years of under delivering and offering a far inferior product. Imagine where they would be if not for the acquisitions of Bethesda and ABK, those are pretty much the only things that are keeping them relevant and probably why they are willing to commit so much to Gamepass.
Sony Brown Noser is back at it again. lmao

• This tbh
  • 100%
Reactions: Nobel 6 and teezzy
I wanna play it with my RingCon

b24c89047c56b0ab9b6ec4227aebdb802b362a8e.gif

This deal is making the entirely industry look stupid.

Sony's arguments are beyond stupid and I think even they are surprised its working to actually hold this deal up.

From every angle every company involved, i guess minus nintendo now, looks like a spoiled brat.
How does MS look stupid? It's a fair deal, it should go through. Sony's only petty argument is "but it would be bad for PlayStation!!1". They're extremly childish and the FTC, too, for entertaining their bs.

I hope this deal happens as it shoul. Get fuckked, Sony.

Interesting way to perhaps skirt around closer examinations from financial bodies. It's good news for Nintendo fans though, that CoD4 Reflex Edition was kind of legit, I wonder whether we'd see more "big" games trying to use Nintendo's hardware in more interesting ways.

Can't imagine playing CoD on a 7 inch screen though, especially if the resolution is only like 720p or worse.

MS are really setting themselves up to succeed by allowing a multitude of games to penetrate other platforms, they can just sit back and reap the rewards from sales and the like without having a dedicated focus on exclusivity or pushing consoles. Those MAU's must be really important to them.

How does MS look stupid? It's a fair deal, it should go through. Sony's only petty argument is "but it would be bad for PlayStation!!1". They're extremly childish and the FTC, too, for entertaining their bs.

I hope this deal happens as it shoul. Get fuckked, Sony.

Never said the deal shouldn't go through. Im nor in favor of consolidation but I dont see anything here from Microsoft that should prevent it. If this deal doesnt go through I dont think any AA or larger studio should be able to be acquired.

But I say everyone looks stupid because you have two corporations bitching about each other and their practices. All while doing the exact things they are complaining about. Lets not pretend Microsoft doesnt talk out both sides of their mouth.

There is no way Sony thought their argument would actually work as well as it is. Jim Ryan knows everything he is saying is hypocritical to how they practice their own business deals.

• Brain
Reactions: Mickmrly
Pssst. I hate to tell you this, but I've got way more Playstation classics on my Series X than you're probably ever going to get via Playstation premium. Merry Christmas. :sneaky:
I play on PC, you missed there brother. Playstation Premium sucks ass.

The fact that Retroarch is what you have to praise Xbox for says everything about the state of Xbox, no bangers, endless drought and empty promises.

• Funny
  • 100%
Reactions: Optimus and lock2k
I think this pretty much seals the deal. Since the main objectors specifically cited losing COD as their main reason to object, this would make that null. This would mean well into next gen everyone had access to the game. No consumer would have (in any way) been hurt or misled.

73h8w9.jpg

I like how MS is double-penetrating Sony here:

- getting the deal through by promising CoD on PlayStation
- putting CoD on Switch 2, putting up even more competition for physical sales of CoD

All the while offering CoD 'for free' in Gamepass. ❤

I like how MS is double-penetrating Sony here:

- getting the deal through by promising CoD on PlayStation
- putting CoD on Switch 2, putting up even more competition for physical sales of CoD

All the while offering CoD 'for free' in Gamepass. ❤

Classic example of modern-day console slap fights.

Give me exclusive comparisons, frame rate tests, varying versions of the same game and unique, secret-sauce blast processing, over corporate ball-washing company cock-sucking.

The exclusive games and console-unique features deserve the praise, not the companies.

Reactions: and 3 others
I play on PC, you missed there brother. Playstation Premium sucks ass.

The fact that Retroarch is what you have to praise Xbox for says everything about the state of Xbox, no bangers, endless drought and empty promises.
"no bangers, endless drought" -- No, honestly, Xbox is just fine if you like third party games with an occasional Microsoft published game in the mix. Very few PS5 exclusives have really hit for me, so it's not a huge difference from my perspective, and as you stated Playstation Premium literally sucks ass. My discounted subscription just got discontinued for that reason.

Also, Retroarch is not all there is for Xbox. It's pretty interesting what the emulation community is doing with Xbox, and hopefully it doesn't become something MS feels a need to squash. For now, it seems like they're willing to turn a blind eye there as long as the emulation scene doesn't begin to encroach on the more lucrative content that is still selling (ie. no PS3, Wii U stuff, absolutely no Xbox/360 emulation).

I don't play much on PC right now but am ready to do a new build. Between Nvidia's market molestation and the state of new releases on PC, I'm approaching it from a lukewarm position. If you're reading the PC-related threads, you've seen plenty of my thoughts over there.

"no bangers, endless drought" -- No, honestly, Xbox is just fine if you like third party games with an occasional Microsoft published game in the mix. Very few PS5 exclusives have really hit for me, so it's not a huge difference from my perspective, and as you stated Playstation Premium literally sucks ass. My discounted subscription just got discontinued for that reason.

Also, Retroarch is not all there is for Xbox. It's pretty interesting what the emulation community is doing with Xbox, and hopefully it doesn't become something MS feels a need to squash. For now, it seems like they're willing to turn a blind eye there as long as the emulation scene doesn't begin to encroach on the more lucrative content that is still selling (ie. no PS3, Wii U stuff, absolutely no Xbox/360 emulation).

I don't play much on PC right now but am ready to do a new build. Between Nvidia's market molestation and the state of new releases on PC, I'm approaching it from a lukewarm position. If you're reading the PC-related threads, you've seen plenty of my thoughts over there.
"Honestly, Xbox is just fine" should be their slogan. What a boring console.

The PS5 got mostly everything right but Sony is coasting way too hard. Building a library on Steam looks drastically more appealing now than doing so on a PlayStation, gaming on Linux is where it's at. The only advantages the PS5 have over PC right now is dics, devs shitting the bed with PC ports and annoying release window exclusivity.

The only thing keeping me from going all in on PC is FFXVI right now, I would love to find that they scraped the PC delay tomorrow. PS+ is fine but is suffers from all the same problems of Gamepass, it gets old quick and push you to not buy games anymore.

Last edited:
"Honestly, Xbox is just fine" should be their slogan. What a boring console.

The PS5 got mostly everything right but Sony is coasting way too hard. Building a library on Steam looks drastically more appealing now than doing so on a PlayStation, gaming on Linux is where it's at. The only advantages the PS5 have over PC right now is dics, devs shitting the bed with PC ports and annoying release window exclusivity.

The only thing keeping me from going all in on PC is FFXVI right now, I would love to find that they scraped the PC delay tomorrow. PS+ is fine but is suffers from all the same problems of Gamepass, it gets old quick and push you to not buy games anymore.
There is so much for me to unpack in this response, but even though I don't really agree with much of what you're saying, I feel like I understand you. You seem pretty cool.

I like my Xbox more than I like my PS5, and I find this incredibly unfortunate. Outside of Astrobot and Ratchet and Clank, I've not really had much fun with the console. It's basically back to being my PS4 Pro for PS4 titles released long ago.

But i do agree that the PS5 got mostly everything right. I love the controller. I loved what Astrobot demonstrated for this console. It was only an appetizer of a title and yet it was new enough and fresh enough to make me feel like I was playing something new again. Rift Apart carried on with some of this and was fun. Everything after feels, as you said, like coasting hard. Yeah, yeah, sure, Forbidden West--that looked exceptional but is generally more of the same without much of the newness that propelled HZD for me. Literally, I don't care about anything else exclusive so far.

"gaming on Linux is where it's at" - Okay... I'm all for it, but okay... -skeptical of this claim- it wasn't the last time I really checked, but it's good for all of us if it truly is.

"The only advantages the PS5 have over PC right now is discs, devs shitting the bed with PC ports and annoying release window exclusivity" - This entirely comprises my rationale behind preferring console over PC. With PC, I could rarely ever just have my cake and eat it too. Even the simplest mf'ing thing normally ends up taking 30-40 minutes to sort out whether it's sudden stuttering from the latest patch or sudden crashes to the desktop out of the blue. And some of this is definitely my own fault because I'm a tinkerer and one who enjoys using mods (I mean that's at least half the reason to play on PC as it is), and the amount of shit I normally have to go through to keep my shit running is just absurd. Even the fuggin' SteamLink was working flawlessly for a couple of days before suddenly developing the infamous hitch where every 10-12 seconds there would be a momentary freeze. Stupid crap like that is what drove me away, and I like to sit on my couch and play on the TV, so among other things the PS5 has the advantage in is not being a big PC case sitting in the living room, although it's approaching being something like that with its enormous ugly case. Still, I prefer not to have my desktop directly connected to my TV and at the same time streaming is pretty undesirable to me.

I'm not opposed to going all in on PC, but there are plenty of valid reasons to enjoy console gaming simply thanks to its relative ease and the expectation of quality assurance that more or less promises that games won't run like total ass most of the time.

There is so much for me to unpack in this response, but even though I don't really agree with much of what you're saying, I feel like I understand you. You seem pretty cool.

I like my Xbox more than I like my PS5, and I find this incredibly unfortunate. Outside of Astrobot and Ratchet and Clank, I've not really had much fun with the console. It's basically back to being my PS4 Pro for PS4 titles released long ago.

But i do agree that the PS5 got mostly everything right. I love the controller. I loved what Astrobot demonstrated for this console. It was only an appetizer of a title and yet it was new enough and fresh enough to make me feel like I was playing something new again. Rift Apart carried on with some of this and was fun. Everything after feels, as you said, like coasting hard. Yeah, yeah, sure, Forbidden West--that looked exceptional but is generally more of the same without much of the newness that propelled HZD for me. Literally, I don't care about anything else exclusive so far.

"gaming on Linux is where it's at" - Okay... I'm all for it, but okay... -skeptical of this claim- it wasn't the last time I really checked, but it's good for all of us if it truly is.

"The only advantages the PS5 have over PC right now is discs, devs shitting the bed with PC ports and annoying release window exclusivity" - This entirely comprises my rationale behind preferring console over PC. With PC, I could rarely ever just have my cake and eat it too. Even the simplest mf'ing thing normally ends up taking 30-40 minutes to sort out whether it's sudden stuttering from the latest patch or sudden crashes to the desktop out of the blue. And some of this is definitely my own fault because I'm a tinkerer and one who enjoys using mods (I mean that's at least half the reason to play on PC as it is), and the amount of shit I normally have to go through to keep my shit running is just absurd. Even the fuggin' SteamLink was working flawlessly for a couple of days before suddenly developing the infamous hitch where every 10-12 seconds there would be a momentary freeze. Stupid crap like that is what drove me away, and I like to sit on my couch and play on the TV, so among other things the PS5 has the advantage in is not being a big PC case sitting in the living room, although it's approaching being something like that with its enormous ugly case. Still, I prefer not to have my desktop directly connected to my TV and at the same time streaming is pretty undesirable to me.

I'm not opposed to going all in on PC, but there are plenty of valid reasons to enjoy console gaming simply thanks to its relative ease and the expectation of quality assurance that more or less promises that games won't run like total ass most of the time.
To me the issues started with DX11 and only got worse with DX12. That's when it became a regular thing for devs to ship games that are a stuttering mess, a lot of the time on Unreal Engine as well. It's just another chapter of MS and Epic trying to ruin PC gaming.

PC is Vulkan + Linux for me now, a game would have to be a incredibility compelling game to make me boot into Windows. If Valve ever makes the Steam Deck available in my country I'll be getting one, Valve completely outclassed Nintendo, Sony and MS with their portable solution.

The progress of gaming on Linux in the past few years is the most impressive thing I've ever seen when it comes to PC gaming. In the meanwhile MS couldn't even get DirectStorage going on PC, they are incredibly incompetent and can't help but to get in the way of PC gaming all the time to the point that it seems like they sabotage it on purpose. It feels great to be finally rid of MS on PC.

Last edited:
try it its really good now. There's still some games that won't play like halo infinite but overall the non-f2p stuff is great on it.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: Nobody
try it its really good now. There's still some games that won't play like halo infinite but overall the non-f2p stuff is great on it.
I'm looking to do a new build in 2023, and I would love to be able to ditch Windows completely. I say this even though I'm a .NET dev, but these days I find there is very little I can't do in .Net Core. In a world that feels like it's trying to wall me into Android, Windows, or Mac OS, I will leap at an opportunity to live in Linux going forward.