Thread: Mega actor Nicholas Cage in talks for live-action Spider-Man Noir

Vyse

the Bounty King
Platforms
  1. PC
spider-noir.gif

Article:
We knew Amazon's Prime Video was developing a live-action series centered around Spider-Man Noir, and it turns out a big star is in at least early talks for the job.

Nicolas Cage, who voiced the character in 2018's hit Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, revealed in a recent interview with Collider at SXSW that he's been having "conversations" about reprising the role in the live-action series.

"Well, I can say that we have been talking," he told the outlet. "It's no secret that I love the character. I think the character provides another mash up of sorts. I can combine my favorite golden age performances, i.e. Robinson, Cagney, Bogart, with a character that is, I guess, widely considered [to be] Stan Lee's masterpiece. I see it as a kind of foray into a pop art mash up of, sort of, a [Jungian] Lichtenstein, mash up by way of Bogart and Cagney, but nothing's definitive yet. It's just conversation."

Cage's comment and the inspirations he lists can also provide a peek into the approach behind the show, which was first announced in February 2023. In December, it was announced that The Punisher's Steve Lightfoot will serve as showrunner for the series, which was developed by Into the Spider-Verse producers Chris Miller and Phil Lord.

The character, part of the Marvel Noir universe, is a fairly brutal alternative of Spider-Man who takes on New York's criminal underworld during the Great Depression. It's been reported that the series will take place in Noir's own 1930s universe, not following Peter Parker as the main character.

In 2022, Amazon and Sony unveiled a multi-series deal to bring a number of Spider-Man spinoffs to Prime Video, with the first of those set to be Silk: Spider Society. That series, however, has appeared to be in turmoil, with the writers' room reportedly "paused" despite staying in "active development."

I mean I'm not opposed. Depends really on whether Cage is in it to win it or just to pick up a paycheck really. However, I have to say why not just stick to animation versus live action?

• This tbh
Reactions: Eneru