Thread: Largest game size you downloaded/installed?
Hey DPadders, was wondering what's the largest game you downloaded/installed? Right now for me that crown goes to Mass Effect Legendary Edition, I'm still in the process of downloading it. I paused the Steam download so I can resume it later when I get home from work. The initial download is 96GB, but I think with patches it might bump up to 115GB. So what say you DPadders, what is the largest game you downloaded/installed?

RDR2 for me, too, though the one that sticks most in my mind...

SswSpka.gif

RDR2. I think Halo MCC and FF15 with all DLC top 100gb too if I remember right.

I don’t know how big that game actually was, but it was awful trying to play it and sitting through the painfully slow install.

Agreed. At least they patched it to allow a full install, and if you popped an SSD in there it was faster (but not by a ton, since I think the PS3 was still limited by its old hdd interface)

Definitely that damn new COD game, Cold War. The campaign and multiplayer added up to like 170GB or some ridiculous shit. The game is snappy, and I suspect the large size is due to assets being duplicated a million times to cut down on loading/streaming time. Hopefully a new generation version that isn't still being held back by last gen will massively reduce sizes.

Oh man, I have no concrete answer here. RDR2 was a big install for sure. But I feel like it was a recent COD. I just remember installing it and being like "Really? That big...for a COD?". Was for sure north of 100GB.

Reactions: ProgenitorCastle
It had to be RDR2. I felt like I spent days downloading that (with interrupts for streaming services to be used, and other games to be played). But looking out on those plains for the first time, outside of the intro, it felt completely worth it. Like being transported to another time.

funny this topic was posted. I was doing some file moving earlier and actually did check a few of the game's size on my PC. largest at the moment seems to be Monster Hunter World at 100GB. Destiny 2 used to be over 100GB but they did a content reduction and now it's a little over 60GB.

• Brain
Probably Gears of War 4? I think it wanted 120gb last time I checked, but likely more now. Anymore, I won't buy/install a game bigger than, say, 80gb or so. It's not the storage size or download time that bothers me, so much as my monthly data cap.

A large file size is often times more wasteful than not. When you look at ones with a small file size and they don't look any lesser than the 100gb games. I played Tomb Raider 2013 on max settings it looked amazing and was only 19gb.

The recent Sony compression of file sizes has also backed up my thinking. Days Gone for example lost about 30gb (IIRC) and didn't suffer visually at all.

Probably call of duty but I have gig internet so bring on the file sizes. I remember downloading quake team fortress from planet quake on dial up. That was dedication.

• Funny
Reactions: and 3 others
When I got an Xbox One S, it came with a free Master Chief Collection and it took two fucking days to download that bitch. I don't even remember how big it was, but I was staying at my mother-in-law's house in Phoenix while working when I did it, and Cox throttled her internet afterwards. I'll never do that shit again.

• Shocked
Reactions: Musky_Cheese
It had to be RDR2. I felt like I spent days downloading that (with interrupts for streaming services to be used, and other games to be played). But looking out on those plains for the first time, outside of the intro, it felt completely worth it. Like being transported to another time.
Still have not played RDR2. I have the best backlog in the world. So many good games waiting in the wings that I can literally sit this generation out if need be lol

Probably MGSV at ~25GB or Lost Odyssey at ~16GB (I'm still in the seventh generation).
With my connection speeds, it would undoubtedly take a whole day or even longer for me to download a current gen game like Demon's Souls PS5 or Cyberpunk 2077.

Honourable mention should also go to Hitman. IIRC Hitman 2 was bonkers large (149 GB) because you got all of the Hitman 1 levels included if you owned it, and I dare say Hitman 3 is definitely going to be the wrong side of 200GB as it includes all the maps from both 1 & 2.

When Hitman 3 eventually hits Steam. I'm going to require a bigger boat SSD

Probably MGSV at ~25GB or Lost Odyssey at ~16GB (I'm still in the seventh generation).
With my connection speeds, it would undoubtedly take a whole day or even longer for me to download a current gen game like Demon's Souls PS5 or Cyberpunk 2077.
‘So, Helljumper, you’ve completed it. Your life’s work. Where will you time travel first?’

‘IDK, 2021 or something, make fun of their download sizes.’

• Funny
Reactions: Helljumper
Honourable mention should also go to Hitman. IIRC Hitman 2 was bonkers large (149 GB) because you got all of the Hitman 1 levels included if you owned it, and I dare say Hitman 3 is definitely going to be the wrong side of 200GB as it includes all the maps from both 1 & 2.

Random question. All of the games all of the games? So I could buy Hitman 3 and have the whole trilogy, no subtractions?

Edit: Nvm, I see the owned now. Will probably just jump into Hitman 3 anyway because it looks cool.

Random question. All of the games all of the games? So I could buy Hitman 3 and have the whole trilogy, no subtractions?

You don't get them automatically included if you don't already own them, but you can buy them as DLC to Hitman 3, and then basically play through the trilogy as one experience. Essentially the levels have been remade using their latest engine tech, and you're able to use any of the new mechanics they've introduced as well.

Reactions: Arc

This is basically why Hitman 2 is still in my backlog.

• 100%
Reactions: Mirabilis
This is basically why Hitman 2 is still in my backlog.

I played Hitman 1 (and didn't particularly like it) and skipped 2. I got 3 a couple of weeks ago free with my new CPU. I downloaded it (on Epic store) and it is 59 gig. I also own Hitman 1 (I mistyped it as Hotman :ROFLMAO: ) in Epic store, probably a free givaway, but it is not installed. No idea how it will add the levels from 1 to 3. Not that I want it to.