Thread: Inspiration4 |OT| Space is for everyone....*disclaimer* must be a billionaire
Official Thread
Indeed, I agree. This is the dark aspect of the expansion into space. If you are interested, a good read (dry and terrifying) is Dark Skies:

It is very academic in its tone - but many of the scenarios he discusses are frightening (think The Expanse level threats). I tend to be more hopeful on this front. Hopefully the pursuit of economic prosperity nips military expansion, but who knows!

It's hard for me to be optimistic about anything these days.

It's hard for me to be optimistic about anything these days.
Space is one of the beacons of hope in this wild timeline. If we as society can survive this turbulent time we will achieve great things this century.

Early 1900s was a very turbulent time for the world which lead to the boom that ushered in the most peaceful times while increasing life expectancy to beyond previous limits.

The space race is just beginning and so many companies and people are trying to get a peace of it. In 30 years the whole world will be a completely different place and many don’t even realize it.

• Strength
Reactions: Aarbron
Things will be fine. Space is the place.

And it's completely okay imo if we have some fun banter with the flat earth society in this thread if it doesn't kill off the on topic discussion.

Who else is eagerly awaiting the launch of James Webb Telescope? It was moved to 18 December
and looks like it's the final date at last.

Being infrared it could see objects through space dust. God, I need this pictures in 2022!
Been reading and watching updates on it for many years now.
What a crazy amount of delays that thing had to endure.

Somehow hard to imagine that this will work in the end.

Who else is eagerly awaiting the launch of James Webb Telescope? It was moved to 18 December
and looks like it's the final date at last.

Being infrared it could see objects through space dust. God, I need this pictures in 2022!
I’m so stoked for this. We got so much out of the Hubble Telescope and I cannot wait to see what we discover with this.

• 100%
Reactions: BFNoise
I just learned about SpinLaunch. They are a company with a unique way of launching satellites to LEO. They have already done their first successful test launch. I will be following them closely going forward.

A company I follow closely just had a successful payload launch. The space Industry is growing rapidly.

Last edited:
Hot damn some drama is happening behind the scenes of the starship development. A great link discussing the production issues with the raptor engine. 2022 is going to be wild for SpaceX.

How crazy is that.
And in just two decades built up from nothing.
Pure insanity especially when you consider the first 8 years was all failures and doubt. Now hearing a rocket landed is just another day. 6 years ago it was impossible concept that has now been normalized.

Such a wild time to be alive. We’re watching history happen right before our eyes.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: Mirabilis
SpaceX is on course to be the highest value startup of all time. It is no fluke that Elon has created so many profitable companies throughout the decades. Dude knows how to higher incredible people.

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: regawdless
Finally man. This review has taken forever. Now they need to nail the test flight next month.

NASA’s Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS) spotted a multiplanet system in our galactic neighborhood. The system is present just 33 light-years from planet Earth and is home to two Earth-sized planets.

At the heart of the system lies a small and cool M-dwarf star, named HD 260655, and astronomers have found that it hosts at least two terrestrial, Earth-sized planets. “However, the planets are likely not habitable, as their orbits are relatively tight, exposing the planets to temperatures that are too high to sustain liquid surface water,” revealed MIT scientists who made the discovery.

The inner planet, dubbed HD 260655b, orbits the star every 2.8 days and is about 1.2 times as big as the Earth. The second, outer planet, HD 260655c, orbits every 5.7 days and is 1.5 times as big as the Earth. Additionally, they have both been described considered “rocky.”

I do marvel somewhat at the 'Only 33 light years' part as if it's just a hop skip down to the sweetshop, versus a solid 33 years of travelling at what is believed to be maximum velocity, but still kind of funky news regardless.