Thread: Hostile Faceoff: Dead Space vs Resident Evil 2 [1998]

Which is the better game?

• Total voters

Hostile_18

Face/Off
Platforms
  1. PC
Each Weekday here on D-Pad we pit two highly rated games against each other, to ultimately find out the best game of all time. Voting is open for 24 hours, with different time zones it's best to just look at the time the first post was made. For a full list of the top 95 qualifying games, along with the results so far, see this thread here.

What is your favourite game and why? Perhaps you can convince others in the comments below.

Today we have;

81-Pieo-Qr-Bh-L-AC-SL1500.jpg

vs
s-l1600.jpg

• Hell Yeah!
Reactions: Soodanim
Two horror games, nice.

RE2 is one of my favourite games ever, so it takes this one no questions no doubts. I love this game.

Dead Space is no slouch though, and was a very welcome return to survival horror when Capcom moved away from it. In a lot of other polls it would have taken the win for me.

Shout out to @Hostile_18 for using superior PAL boxes, I've been appreciating those

Two horror games, nice.

RE2 is one of my favourite games ever, so it takes this one no questions no doubts. I love this game.

Dead Space is no slouch though, and was a very welcome return to survival horror when Capcom moved away from it. In a lot of other polls it would have taken the win for me.

Shout out to @Hostile_18 for using superior PAL boxes, I've been appreciating those

Thank you. Yeah its strange, but in many cases it always seems like the PAL regions get the better art work.

Had it been the RE2 remake, I'd have voted that way, as it stands Dead Space is my preferred game. Love the atmosphere, enemy design, and stomping on dudes. That stomp should be in every game, regardless of genre.

You speak the truth.

Dead Space does so many things right. The dismemberment is great, introducing a certain dynamic and random nature to the enemy encounters with the vent system, the stomp, the incredible atmosphere.

I like OG RE2, but it's not better than Dead Space.

OG RE2 was one of my most replayed games back in the day. The two character system worked well and it was fun to do endless speedruns. Deadspace is a great game too, but RE2 is more rememberable to me.

RE2 easily. Dead Space was fine, had some interesting stuff like the no HUD thing but I barely remember any detail of it despite finishing the game. RE2 stands out a lot more.

I don't really like RE, the only one that was fun was RE4 Wii and that's mainly because of how un-Resident Evil it was. I grew up with friends who played the heck outta RE 1, 2, and 3 and it never clicked with me. Maybe because I was already playing games like Fallout, Tribes, and Descent.

I love Dead Space for the same reasons I love the "casual" RE4... it's a horror game for casuals like me. This came out a year after Bioshock and I thought it blew it out of the water. The game has excellent setting, music + sound design, monster design (both visually and in terms of gameplay variety), generously nodding to the schlocky 70s and 80s science fiction.

Dead Space also came at a fleeting time when i thought developers were gonna actually use the physics/graphical advancements of the hardware (silly me...), so to see it all mostly come together in Dead space with the gravity gun combat, 360* movement in space, tons of destructible/shootable boxes/barrels, positional sound design, dismemberment of enemies, cohesive melee and QTEs, menu-less experience... again, this was in 2008 when combat in 3rd person games was Batman Arkham Asylum or Gears or Uncharted. It's not a 1:1 comparison but I also got strong System Shock vibes when I originally played through it, something that Bioshock didn't really live up to. I'm not saying DS was perfect, and neither was DS2, but I (naively) felt like Dead Space was really something special, pushing the genre forward by bringing various pieces together.

I regularly replay my PS3 copy. It's a great game.

also @brap name a single male character -- hero or villain -- in Resident Evil who isn't a simp... ya dun goofed. At least we get to see Isaac torn to shreds in more creative ways 🤷‍♀️

Dead Space is such an evolution in all aspects. Playing RE2 today isn't even scary anymore.
Dead Space wasn't scary either. You are a tank with a huge arsenal, telekinetic powers, stasis powers and instant healing slaughtering zombies to pieces. It feels like Dynasty Warriors at times.

Dead Space wasn't scary either. You are a tank with a huge arsenal, telekinetic powers, stasis powers and instant healing slaughtering zombies to pieces. It feels like Dynasty Warriors at times.
It wasn't that scary but it was tense Doom 3 style. RE games are rarely scary too.

It did have intense scenes and some scares. You have a good arsenal, but the enemies can be pretty vicious too. On hard difficulty it was way more tense and scary than RE2 imo.

Reactions: Nobel 6
Which one is Facts voting for so I can vote against it?
I'm happy to say it looks like he's voting RE.

I'm voting DS. I had a GC I got from EA and DS was the price of the GC so I bought it not expecting much and discovered one of the best horror games ever. I never played RE2 but the ones I did play were underwhelming and not vaguely as good as DS.

I played the trilogy again this year and the game is SO damn good still and holds up GREAT.

Reactions: regawdless
I wish I liked Dead Space as much as everyone else does. I tried it back in like 2009 or whenever it was on PS3 and got a few hours in. Some cool visual moments here and there but it didn't do much for me gameplay wise and I didn't find it scary at all.

People compare it to Event Horizon and they are right to because when you watch that movie now, it's cheesy as fuck.

I played Dead Space three times in the span of a few months and got 1000/1000 Gamerscore on the game for the Xbox 360 when it came out. My friends used to come over and for months they’d see me playing it feverishly. I was stolen by that game for some time, very fascinating and completely engrossing gameplay. Terrifying most of the way during a first playthrough too; the tension and fear almost never fades until the more open, very end portions of the game arrive

RE2, it’s a GOAT tier game. You all will respect the classic. You cannot fuck with a classic Resident Evil game, they’re on a different level. Nuff said

I still remember getting RE2 on release day as an early birthday present. Such an incredible game and one of the best PlayStation titles. Played it on Vita again couple of years back in anticipation of the remake and it's still great.

I still remember getting RE2 on release day as an early birthday present. Such an incredible game and one of the best PlayStation titles. Played it on Vita again couple of years back in anticipation of the remake and it's still great.
I rode my bike to a used game shop near my house and "talked the owner down" to a used copy for $30 lol

I was so hyped. And just like you, I played it on Vita like 5 years ago and god damn was the Vita great for PS1 games. The pixel density and OLED screen and great DPAD all come together just right.

Joking aside, the original Resident Evil 2 is my favorite in the series and still perfectly playable today. I did play Dead Space on PS3 but it just didn't hold my interest for very long. So my vote easily goes to Resident Evil 2.