Thread: Hey D-Pad, I'm a 'Pokemon' Noob and I Have Questions!

Cryptek

Japan? I'll pass thanks
Platforms
  1. Nintendo
As per the title, I'm new to the Pokemon phenomenon and have never really played one.

Due to extreme generosity, I own a Switch and besides the Zelda games, I feel like I have an obligation to own at least one Pokemon geimu.

So what's a good place to start? Keep in mind I have a Nintendo Switch so it has to be one available on that system.

Just so you know, while not on the Switch, Pokemon Platinum always looked good to me.

But I need a starting point. I know almost next to nothing about the games.

I really thought Pokemon Let’s Go was great. It’s a kind of casual/newbie oriented remake of the first game in the series, and while I’m far from being a newbie, I just really enjoyed it.

Reactions: Zefah and Cryptek
I really thought Pokemon Let’s Go was great. It’s a kind of casual/newbie oriented remake of the first game in the series, and while I’m far from being a newbie, I just really enjoyed it.
Awesome saucers. I'll check that out.

You know it's funny because I do have a few Pokemon games I never played. Namely, Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon and one of the Pokemon Ranger: Shadows of Almia.

Reactions: Arc
Pokémon Sword and Shield are great on the Switch. They are more streamlined than some games in the series and have little in the way of side quests, but they serve as great entry points to the series. The Let’s Go games are better than they deserve to be, but the catching mechanics and wild “battles” are unique to the series.

Either option makes a good starting point, but I feel Sword and Shield are more representative if you are interested in the series as a whole.

As per the title, I'm new to the Pokemon phenomenon and have never really played one.

Due to extreme generosity, I own a Switch and besides the Zelda games, I feel like I have an obligation to own at least one Pokemon geimu.

So what's a good place to start? Keep in mind I have a Nintendo Switch so it has to be one available on that system.

Just so you know, while not on the Switch, Pokemon Platinum always looked good to me.

But I need a starting point. I know almost next to nothing about the games.

If Platinum looks good, might as well wait for the Switch "remakes" of Diamond & Pearl coming at the end of this year. Not sure how much of the Platinum extra content they will contain, but it will surely be a decently updated experience.

If Platinum looks good, might as well wait for the Switch "remakes" of Diamond & Pearl coming at the end of this year. Not sure how much of the Platinum extra content they will contain, but it will surely be a decently updated experience.
For the record, I'm ignorant at about all things Pokemon but lemme make sure I have this straight.

Pokemon Platinum is a remake or re-release of Diamond and Pearl, correct?

So there's a whole new remake of that coming out for Switch?

Pre-ordered! Not really but yeah I'd love to see it.

For the record, I'm ignorant at about all things Pokemon but lemme make sure I have this straight.

They used to do "3rd version" type of things for the games. Basically they release two versions and then follow up with a "3rd version" that is kind of a powered up complete edition with extra content a year later.

They stopped doing that a while ago, though, and even embraced simple DLC with the Sword & Shield games.

Anyway, Platinum is the "3rd version" of Diamond & Pearl, which are being remade as Switch games to be released this November.

Reactions: Cryptek and Ascend

Pokémon has often released an enhanced, “third” game between mainline games.

Pokémon gold and silver had crystal and diamond and pearl had platinum. It’s not been a part of every mainline set, but it’s been common enough.

Reactions: Zefah
They used to do "3rd version" type of things for the games. Basically they release two versions and then follow up with a "3rd version" that is kind of a powered up complete edition with extra content a year later.

They stopped doing that a while ago, though, and even embraced simple DLC with the Sword & Shield games.

Anyway, Platinum is the "3rd version" of Diamond & Pearl, which are being remade as Switch games to be released this November.
I’ll also mention that the remake games tend to be very faithful to their original. They tend to update some things, while others can even be faithful to a fault. The diamond and pearl remakes will likely be more representative of “classic pokemon” experience while sword And shield will be more in line with the direction that modern Pokémon is heading.

Either option will be a good starting point depending on where you are comfortable jumping in.

Reactions: Zefah
I regard Pokemon Platinum as one of the best Pokemon games ever, but, that might not translate well to the Switch. I don't know. I'd say Pokemon Sword or Shield. For one, it's available right now, and they are the closest to a traditional Pokemon experience.

Let's Go is more a nostalgia trip for old people that played the original games and now want to play the same games with their kids lol.

New ones suck because of brain-dead difficulty, the franchise wasn't always like that

Are the old ones not available on Switch?

I finished Fire Red on GBA but never really figured out why it was supposed to be good. It's just grind grind grind. Maybe if I was 5 year old it would be more fun. I tried starting other games in the series but they were more of the same shit.

Last edited:
I finished Fire Red on GBA but never really figured out why it was supposed to be good. It's just grind grind grind. Maybe if I was 5 year it would be more fun. I tried starting other games in the series but they were more of the same shit.
I found that the most fun was had when you level up unusual pokemon like dragon types, psychic types or ice types. Grinding with the starter alone can get old.

Reactions: Cryptek
I found that the most fun was had when you level up unusual pokemon like dragon types, psychic types or ice types. Grinding with the starter alone can get old.
Where do you think would be a good starting point?

Where do you think would be a good starting point?
Personally, I would wait for the diamond/pearl remakes. Let’s go has been made too easy and sword and shield also is apparently too easy as well. I replayed Pearl on my 3ds about a year ago and apart from being a bit too controlled in the second half, it was a pleasant experience.

Pokémon Sword and Shield are great on the Switch. They are more streamlined than some games in the series and have little in the way of side quests, but they serve as great entry points to the series. The Let’s Go games are better than they deserve to be, but the catching mechanics and wild “battles” are unique to the series.

Either option makes a good starting point, but I feel Sword and Shield are more representative if you are interested in the series as a whole.

Yeah I have Shield or Sword, can never remember which, they're the same game anyway, having played no Pokemon before. Honestly it's a good time. The battles are fun and everyone's wonderfully peppy and fun to be around, it beats the misery of western games. Wife played one of the gameboy ones on the MiSTer box a few weeks back and I was amazed at how many mechanics had held over so clearly it's a series which sticks to its roots.

Reactions: Sejan
Yeah I have Shield or Sword, can never remember which, they're the same game anyway, having played no Pokemon before. Honestly it's a good time. The battles are fun and everyone's wonderfully peppy and fun to be around, it beats the misery of western games. Wife played one of the gameboy ones on the MiSTer box a few weeks back and I was amazed at how many mechanics had held over so clearly it's a series which sticks to its roots.
I like that its not been afraid to stick to its roots, but its also allowed it stretch and explore (within reason) as its grown. Sword and Shield easily had the best gym battle experience that I've seen in any pokemon game to date. They really went all in on the idea of the pokemon league being a professional sports league and nailed absolutely nailed it. I hope that this experience is a pattern going forward.

There are obviously changes I'd like to see going forward, but Sword and Shield are better than they have been given credit for. In the end the whole "Dexit" deal put a bad taste in people's mouths before the games ever released when it really was little more than a PR problem.

What's a good Pokemon game on Switch that can is available physically?
The Let's Go games were good if you don't mind an easy game. Since you are a Pokevirgin, you'll probably enjoy it regardless. Still, don't do it.

Story-wise, I really like Platinum. It feels like a more traditional JRPG with an "end of the world" scenario and an ancient Eldritch Abomination Pokemon from another dimension.

Shadows of Almia is a spin-off game but I like the story in that too and Darkrai is just cool.

My understanding is most Pokemon games outside of those above are kind of story-less or just pretty laced (?)

The Let's Go games were good if you don't mind an easy game. Since you are a Pokevirgin, you'll probably enjoy it regardless. Still, don't do it.
I don't mind.

I'm not sure what you mean by "don't do it" although.

I have this book btw.

20210313-211917.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: El Rey
Pokemon Legends: Arceus looks fantastic. I might start with that.

I can't believe how long Pokemon has been around. I remember it from the 90s back when I had a WebTV. I used to have a little Pikachu gif I'd watch stumble around while I listened to The Cure. Fuck, I miss the 90s.

Reactions: Franky Family
2nd gen and their remakes are straight up best. I would rate them HeartGold/SoulSilver --->Crystal ----> Gold/Silver. All 3 are amazing and brought so many good things to the series (night and day cycle, radio, telephone and a bunch of other things I can't spoil). HG and SS are straight up perfect JRPGs imo. The story isn't that special or memorable but outside of that the game is just insanely good with so much content it is stupid.

• Cheers
Reactions: Franky Family
Literally everyone that I knew that loved Pokemon games in RL told me that sword and shield were garbage. I almost bought them repeatedly but they keep telling me they're not worth it. At this point I've been waiting for Diamond and Pearl remakes.

Literally everyone that I knew that loved Pokemon games in RL told me that sword and shield were garbage. I almost bought them repeatedly but they keep telling me they're not worth it. At this point I've been waiting for Diamond and Pearl remakes.
I don't know why though. I played literally every Pokemon generation... And I was hesitant to get it at first, because there was some false marketing regarding Sword/Shield. There was a backlash as to why all Pokemon were not included, they mentioned better animations and models, and yet they were the same as the 3ds, basically. And then they added more Pokemon with paid DLC... So... Yeah. Not exactly great for the consumer, and a lot of people refused to get these games based on this.

But I think Sword & Shield are good. They are better than X/Y for sure. The only games that I would definitely put above Sword/Shield are Black/White, Platinum and HeartGold/SoulSilver.

I don't know why though.... But I think Sword & Shield are good.
People rightfully expected the series first foray into consoles to be a revolution and not just the same thing with slightly better graphics. GameFreak dropped the ball with Sword/Shield in my opinion.

• This tbh
Reactions: Zeta Dragoon

Check out Pokémon Snap for the NSO when it drops @Cryptek

That game will hit you like a brick of nostalgia even if you weren’t collecting Pokémon cards, or playing the games. All you do is tour around islands and snap photographs of Pokémon. It’s a nice warm up for the more intense RPG Pokémon games