Thread: Gears 6 is reportedly The Coalition’s next game after two other titles were cancelled

Kreese

Ensuring Transparency

During his Game Mess Mornings show on Thursday, Giant Bomb reporter Jeff Grubb claimed Xbox‘s Canadian studio was now ‘full steam ahead’ on Gears 6.

Grubb claimed The Coalition was at one point working on two now-cancelled projects, in addition to carrying out support work on Halo Infinite and working with Epic on The Matrix Awakens Unreal Engine 5 tech demo.

“They have cancelled that smaller project, as well as another project, so there have been two games cancelled there,” he said.

“This was all reflected in the layoffs that happened at Microsoft, which did hit The Coalition a little bit. The studio is now going to move on fully to Gears 6. I say now, it has likely moved on to Gears 6 in full over the course of the last year, but definitely, that will be their next game.”

Kinda bummed about their smaller project getting scrapped. At the same time, I have to imagine after Gears 6 they will move onto something new. This will just make that happen faster. Or at least splinter off into something new. That is unless Gears 6 does massive nuumbers. As a Gears fan I would be ok with it going away for awhile so it can comeback with something fresh.

• 100%
Reactions: Eneru and Nobel 6
Gears 4 was a damp squib that did nothing new and excited no one, while 5 was all about putting a new spin on the series and failed spectacularly at garnering any new fans or energising old ones.

Can't say I'm exactly optimistic about Gears 6 after that, and especially after the studio apparently tried 2 new IP's and both got shit canned, with mass layoffs after.

I can't imagine there's a whole lot of enthusiasm or optimism amongst the dev team, and we already know MS management aren't reliable when it comes to steering a ship through troubled waters.

Gears 4 was a damp squib that did nothing new and excited no one, while 5 was all about putting a new spin on the series and failed spectacularly at garnering any new fans or energising old ones.

Can't say I'm exactly optimistic about Gears 6 after that, and especially after the studio apparently tried 2 new IP's and both got shit canned, with mass layoffs after.

I can't imagine there's a whole lot of enthusiasm or optimism amongst the dev team, and we already know MS management aren't reliable when it comes to steering a ship through troubled waters.
You're not excited to get even more story content on the new chick and her issues with her mother? I can't imagine anything more "GEARS OF WAR" than that!

Every big studio should have a main project and a side project. This ensures that we don't have to wait 5+ years between games. Sucks that the other two projects got cancelled.

Reactions: Nobel 6
Gears 4 multiplayer was excellent, the single player, not so much. I lost all interest by the time Gears 5 came back.

A reboot of the franchise is needed. Go back to the dark and gritty survival roots. Maybe a Calisto protocol kind of game? Horror, fear, terror, dread.

Kinda bummed about their smaller project getting scrapped. At the same time, I have to imagine after Gears 6 they will move onto something new. This will just make that happen faster. Or at least splinter off into something new. That is unless Gears 6 does massive nuumbers. As a Gears fan I would be ok with it going away for awhile so it can comeback with something fresh.
I'd like to see a mainline Hivebusters. loved that game, but it ended too soon. I also can't wait for Gears 6, but why not both?

so who's gonna be alive on this game? marcus's son or kait's friend?
Im gonna assume in the grand scheme it'll just be minor narrative differences depending on which you chose. Would be cool to see how far they go with it though.
I'd like to see a mainline Hivebusters. loved that game, but it ended too soon. I also can't wait for Gears 6, but why not both?
I still like their idea of a prequel set in the Pendulum wars.

• Brain
I enjoyed the gameplay of Gears 5. Only some of the story. Some of the locations and the “secrets of old cog” were cool.

Fighting Cod bots aren’t very satisfying.

And you’d think I’d dig the anti Cog government, but ALL the new characters of Gears 4 and 5 are pretty terrible.

I dont have an Xbox but I feel bad for Xbox fans. Microsoft doesnt seem to know what to do with their "legacy" series anymore. Sony has some pretty significant missteps with some of their big tier franchises, but at least they seem to know when to walk away or when its worth revisiting (in most cases).

I dont have an Xbox but I feel bad for Xbox fans. Microsoft doesnt seem to know what to do with their "legacy" series anymore. Sony has some pretty significant missteps with some of their big tier franchises, but at least they seem to know when to walk away or when its worth revisiting (in most cases).
You have some points there..

I really like both the 4th and the 5th game. Gears 5 has a great ending and I'm really looking forward to the conclusion.

The Coalition made a good trilogy, they introduced new characters which were brought up and guided by the heroes of the 1st trilogy. So now in the 6th game they should stand on their own feet so they can introduce another group of heroes in the next trilogy, following the classic themes of a hero's journey.

You can easily compare this to the new Star Wars trilogy where the old heroes are shown to be idiots, losers and failures so the new guys can solve all the world's issues without needing any help or guidence. In Gears it is the exact opposite.