Thread: Games you dropped right before beating them
Hey Dpadders! Was wondering if you've gotten so close to beating a game, just to drop it afterwards. Two that come to mind for me are Child of Light and Astral Chain. I think I couldn't make my way to the final boss in Child of Light and got stuck as a result. As for Astral Chain, the endgame has me confused in that game as well...as of this writing I am unsure if I'll return to them or if I do, I'd start fresh in them so I can re learn how to play them so I can beat them properly. So what say you Dpad.life, what are some games you dropped right before beating them?

Reactions: Hostile_18
NioH.

I loved the game so much. Played all the missions, did a lot of challenges, got really fucking good with many bosses not even touching me. Best combat system ever.

But at some point very close to the end, I dropped it and never booted it up again. I have gotten everything out of the game that I wanted and the story wasn't the motivating factor here. One of my favorite games ever, but I haven't seen the ending.

Darksiders on the PS3, made it to the 'triforce' type quest at the end back when it first released but stopped playing for whatever reason. Just got it on the Wii U though and will be chipping away it.

Reactions: ProgenitorCastle
I stopped playing Metroid Prime 2: Echoes because of the massive fetch quest at the latter part of the game. I hate that shit; it's such a lazy, unimaginative way to artificially extend the length of a game. I mean, I wouldn't care if it was optional and allowed the player to just say, "Oh, fuck you" and continue on with the game, but making it mandatory just feels like a huge middle finger.

I stopped playing Metroid Prime 2: Echoes because of the massive fetch quest at the latter part of the game. I hate that shit; it's such a lazy, unimaginative way to artificially extend the length of a game. I mean, I wouldn't care if it was optional and allowed the player to just say, "Oh, fuck you" and continue on with the game, but making it mandatory just feels like a huge middle finger.

This reminds me that I almost never beat it! I was stuck on that final boss for a long ass time...then one day I did beat it! One of my proudest gaming moments given the difficulty leap in it compared to the first game

Reactions: HeresJohnny
I'm surprised my answer isn't Sekiro. I literally spent more time on the final boss than the whole game combined. Got there in the end but was weigh over the line of fun the 50th time plus.

Xenosaga Episode II is the only one I can think of where I quit in the final dungeon. Something to do with flying around in your mech and maybe a fuel limit or something and I just couldn't be bothered to figure it out, watched the final boss fight + ending on youtube and moved on to the vastly superior episode 3.

Chrono Cross on the PS1 comes to mind. A lot of JRPGs went that way for me back then. I think maybe I just didn't want them to end so I'd roam the world looing for side stuff and just never go back in for the final dungeon or boss.

Reactions: J-Roderton
Anymore, almost every game I play. I get about 3/4 of the way through, often further, and just get burnt out. I rarely beat a game unless it has a really good story and I feel compelled to see it through to the end.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hostile_18
I stormed through Mass Effect 1 and 2 recently, and goddamned if I can't build up the give-a-damn to finish the 2nd half of 3 knowing the ending.

It's like jerking off knowing that you plan to ruin the orgasm.

Kinda cheating but I didn't finish the OG Kingdom Hearts til the rerelease on PS4. I had gotten to the last door/entrance 3 times and never finished it because I would go off and do other things in the game and eventually drop the game. I finally finished it because of trophies and achievements.

Reactions: J-Roderton
I stormed through Mass Effect 1 and 2 recently, and goddamned if I can't build up the give-a-damn to finish the 2nd half of 3 knowing the ending.

It's like jerking off knowing that you plan to ruin the orgasm.
The ending isn’t *that bad* all things considered. It could have been much worse. Andromeda was Bioware’s way of showing us just how bad it can get.

There are plenty of games where I played for a while, stopped, and then went back to, and some games I've still gonna get around to, but none that I stopped because of the game itself and never plan to return. Most of the time, I was in the groove playing, and then life suddenly got very busy, and by the time I had time to play games again, I was in the mood to play something else.

• This tbh
The ending isn’t *that bad* all things considered. It could have been much worse. Andromeda was Bioware’s way of showing us just how bad it can get.
Perhaps it's just my memory of the ending at launch, back when I was working 2 jobs 7 days a week, and still poor. It was honestly one of the worst times of my life, and these fuckers wanted to end ME3 life that.

I literally had to toss my 360 controller across the room and go out to have a smoke when the credits rolled.

Edit- I'll give Bioware credit for fixing the ending to make it only marginally annoying, as opposed to "Fuck off."

• Strength
Reactions: Mirabilis
Perhaps it's just my memory of the ending at launch, back when I was working 2 jobs 7 days a week, and still poor. It was honestly one of the worst times of my life, and these fuckers wanted to end ME3 life that.

I literally had to toss my 360 controller across the room and go out to have a smoke when the credits rolled.
I thought the Extended Cut was good enough. Wasn't amazing, but it was at least satisfactory.

The irony, of course, is Bioware were the only ones who actually tried to fix their shit due to fan backlash. The Last Jedi, for example, just called everyone who didn't like it manbabies.

Reactions: Torrent of Pork
I thought the Extended Cut was good enough. Wasn't amazing, but it was at least satisfactory.

The irony, of course, is Bioware were the only ones who actually tried to fix their shit due to fan backlash. The Last Jedi, for example, just called everyone who didn't like it manbabies.
Oh I'll give credit to Bioware for unfucking their shit to the best of their ability. Still waiting for CDPR to give me a reason to buy their products ever again.

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild - right before the last temple [Camel] before the final dungeon.

The same-y "dungeons", Shrines and the general monotony just got the better of me.

I'll go back and finish it before The Legend Of Zelda: Breath Of The Wild 2 releases...and part 2 better have at least 10 proper dungeons😤

• Brain
Reactions: Mickmrly
If I finish a game that's an achievement tbh. But in terms of one's where I quit right towards the end...probably the ones that stand out are Messiah ...which tbf was a quirky game, but kind of fun but the final boss fight was super painful and after several attempts, I just gave up on it. I also never finished Dragon Age Inquisition even though I was in the final act quite a way. I think it was a long slog with some of the open-world stuff and I just lost my gaming mojo and never felt the urge to return to it.

Not necessarily near then end but I did drop:

Dishonored 2 - played the game strictly stealth and then the Clockwork Soldiers happened
Dying Light - the night time AI was a cheap mechanic

Was enjoying both of those titles up until the points I described above. I might revisit both but it's been so long I would probably have to restart from scratch to get the gameplay systems down.

I stopped playing Doom (2016) when I got to the last boss. I was tired by that point and figured I had done my duty by reaching the boss; I think i watched the ending on Youtube.
I loved this game and did end up finishing it, but it drags on for three or four levels too many. Game would benefit massively from being a little more condensed. I found the hell levels tiresome in comparison to Mars and got bored of the constant moving from set-piece to set-piece. Love exploring the levels and finding the secrets & retro levels, but I think I only saw the ending after 15/16 hours. Far too long for an FPS that doesn't really offer much apart from gradually harder kill rooms.

Reactions: Kuranghi
If I think back now, I don't think I actually beat the Metroid Prime final boss. It was like 3am and I died and couldn't be bothered restarting and then for years I thought I'd finished it. Good excuse to replay if they ever port the fucking thing again.

• 100%
If I think back now, I don't think I actually beat the Metroid Prime final boss. It was like 3am and I died and couldn't be bothered restarting and then for years I thought I'd finished it. Good excuse to replay if they ever port the fucking thing again.

Exactly my experience, I had done everything else so I don't mind too much. More incentive to replay when the trilogy comes out as you say.

For me, recent example is Ghost of Tsushima, really love the game for many different reasons but I'm so burnt out on the combat that I can't be bothered finishing the last 3rd.

Is there something added in the 3rd area that revitalises it? (No spoilers if possible)

I got the ghost stance and being able to do 5/6 standoff executions with the family armor is cool but it got rote within an hour or so. I even made pure ghost weapon builds instead of using the sword and that makes it too trivial (the black powder bomb is super OP when you have all skill upgrades + the 3x 20% ghost damage buffs, to the point of stupidity), I tried a bow build and thats ridiculously OP if you are good at headshots too.

I wouldn't mind continuing the same sword combat I've done 50 hours of if the 3rd and 4th stances were better, the holding triangle moves of the 1st and 2nd stances are so satisfying, you can actually charge the 1st stance heavy attack, strike one guy once or twice, then parry someone else, then strike the person you parried or go back and strike the first person again. Ie the "charge" stays between parries.

Its so fucking satisfying but even that got old eventually, compared to the 3rd and 4th stances where I hated the kick move from the start and the 4th one isn't effective as it first appears, so I never really use the final two unless its really necessary.

I don’t think I’ve ever actually finished Skyrim. lmao

I know how it ends because I’ve seen others beat it. But every playthrough I get to varying points in the story before I run off and do a ton of side shit before I get bored and quit. I have gotten to right before fighting Alduin in Sovengard once or twice.

I’ve done this like twice a year, every year, for the past decade.

Far Cry 3. Lost all the interest after Vaas was dead and I was preping to kill his boss. Came back to finish the game 6 years after I dropped it just to get a closure.

Bloodborne. Killed Gehrman. Felt satisfied. Got the ending. Then I tried to kill Moon Presence. Got killed a couple of times but I was not motivated enough to keep going after the previous boss fight. Now I'm Waiting to do it all over again including the DLC once BB comes to PC.

• Strength
Back in the day I have up on the final boss of The suffering ties that bind. I didn't kill him in the first 2 tries so I kinda forgot about the game and never beat it.

Dead Space 2. Great game but there’s a ridiculous gauntlet just before the final boss and no way to refresh ammo in between. Was playing on the hardest setting and burnt through everything just to get through the gauntlet. Literally had nothing to attack the final boss with. I think the save state was fucked up somehow, maybe overwrote the save after the gauntlet. Can’t remember.