Thread: Games With Judeo-Christian Themes

Cryptek

Japan? I'll pass thanks
Platforms
  1. Nintendo
I just came across a cool looking game called Archangel from 2002.

It reminds me a lot of another game I really like called Requiem: Avenging Angel.

It occurs to me I like quite a few games with Judeo-Christian themes.

I don't mean Bible games like the ones on NES or anything like that, but more of the darker or "Christian fantasy" type of games like Darksiders, one of my favorite new IPs of the PS3/Xbox 360 generation.

In fact, if you haven't played Darksiders, please do. It's the closest thing you'll find to a Legacy of Kain game.

Shadow Man sort of touches that too but that shares more in common with Voudon which I believe is somehow connected to Catholicism (?)

• Brain
Reactions: lock2k
Most games do. Our entire moral and social systems is based on Judeo-christian values. Explicitly Judeo-christian games though are quite rare and mostly terrible. But the basic themes are in most of them. Things like afterlife, sacrifice, doing good, fighting evil, having faith, receiving divine aid etc. I made a lecture for uni last year on this topic.

Original DOOM is a great example.

Dunno about "Christian fantasy" games as you describe, but a lot of historical strategy games (Total War comes to mind, but there are plenty more) include christianity either as a part of the diplomacy system and/or with its own religion mechanics. Kingdom Come: Deliverance is 95% non-fantasy but you can play a good christian bohemian through the story if you want. It's packed with christian themes, biblical/doctrinal references, dialogue, etc. and paints christianity of the era in a far more generous and realistic light than most games do. The Waldensian Heretic sidequest is a good example.

• 100%
Reactions: Mirabilis
I don’t think game where you fight demons or play as a paladin counts as “Judeo-Christian”. That’s just fantasy. And exploitation of religious symbolism.

I think games like original two Fallout are more Christian with their morality choices and endings revealing how your actions contributed to the rise or demise of certain communities without labeling you as good or evil (only God can judge you).

There was a game I think on PS3 that was either semi based on or based on Elijah. It's right on the tip of my tongue but I just can't remember it.

I just came across a cool looking game called Archangel from 2002.

It reminds me a lot of another game I really like called Requiem: Avenging Angel.

It occurs to me I like quite a few games with Judeo-Christian themes.

I don't mean Bible games like the ones on NES or anything like that, but more of the darker or "Christian fantasy" type of games like Darksiders, one of my favorite new IPs of the PS3/Xbox 360 generation.

In fact, if you haven't played Darksiders, please do. It's the closest thing you'll find to a Legacy of Kain game.

Shadow Man sort of touches that too but that shares more in common with Voudon which I believe is somehow connected to Catholicism (?)
Oh wow, Requiem Avenging Angel was a pretty cool game, though a bit janky by modern standards. I remember that.

Of course, Doom is probably the most famous, if you consider Hell and demon imagery Judeo-Christian.

The main plot for Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption (which is always overshadowed by Bloodlines even though I think Redemption is the better game) is that a christian crusader returns home and falls in love with a nun. Christian crusader gets dragged into the world of vampires and must figure out what that means for himself and for the nun. Throughout the game (both medieval and modern time periods) there's a running theme of whether vampires are "beyond redemption". The endings are directly influenced by how "human" you behave so it has a morality system as well.

There are also jews in the game that are tied into the story, if that counts for extra judeo-christian themes.

9141dEUEO+L._SX425_.jpg

Maybe a tiny bit. Dunno.

• This tbh
Reactions: DonDonDonPata
The main plot for Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption (which is always overshadowed by Bloodlines even though I think Redemption is the better game) is that a christian crusader returns home and falls in love with a nun. Christian crusader gets dragged into the world of vampires and must figure out what that means for himself and for the nun. Throughout the game (both medieval and modern time periods) there's a running theme of whether vampires are "beyond redemption". The endings are directly influenced by how "human" you behave so it has a morality system as well.

There are also jews in the game that are tied into the story, if that counts for extra judeo-christian themes.
The World of Darkness is incredible in this. God plays an extremely important role in the mythos (as he is the one who cursed Cain to become the first Vampire) as well as faith and religions. Faith can physically manifest in the game, Vampires can become "holy" and even revert to humans if sufficiently repentful and dedicated to spiritual enlightenment. At the highest level of true faith (tier 10) a vampire can become human again. To put this into perspective, even tier 1 true faith is very rare and only few hundred people (or less) have it at any time. True faith 6 is such incredible dedication to your faith that you truly comprehend Jesus' words "Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." and those can manifest miracles.

• Brain
Reactions: DonDonDonPata