Thread: Epic vs. Apple Live Hearing
What's your take Doc?
I personally think Apple and Google need to both open up their platforms completely so users can install software from anywhere. Obviously when this whole thing started it was such a luxury item that yeah, no need for "regulation" or whatever you want to call it.

But these devices have become MORE important to most people than laptops/computers, and by effect, businesses. How many billions of dollars rely on an app being in The App Store or Google Play? You just can't allow Apple and Google to have arbitrary power over businesses that way, and on top of that owing 30% of what they sell to Apple just because they have some bytes sitting on their servers.

I think Apple is 100% wrong on this one. I don't know if they will lose (probably not) but I think with all the anti competitive stuff going on in the EU and here as well ... it's only a matter of time before Apple is forced to allow people to install whatever they want on iPhones. Their power over other businesses in that area is frightening.

I know Android allows "side loading" if you go through some hoops but it needs to be easier than that. It should be the case by default and simple download and install like we have on our computers.

This also would have been a huge opportunity for Microsoft to bring back some sort of "Windows Phone" with complete and total freedom for the market. Oh well. I'm pretty sure opening things up is going to have to happen at some point like I said.

• Brain
Reactions: Test
I think Apple is 100% wrong on this one. I don't know if they will lose (probably not) but I think with all the anti competitive stuff going on in the EU and here as well ... it's only a matter of time before Apple is forced to allow people to install whatever they want on iPhones. Their power over other businesses in that area is frightening.
Ok. So according to the hearing, even MS, Sony and Nintendo charge the exact same royality fees as Apple. So the question becomes, why should Epic be "exempt" while they have no problem with Sony, MS, and Nintendo?

Ok. So according to the hearing, even MS, Sony and Nintendo charge the exact same royality fees as Apple. So the question becomes, why should Epic be "exempt" while they have no problem with Sony, MS, and Nintendo?

It's the difference between smart phones, i.e. personal computing devices that have become integral to our every days lives while only two players exist, and video games which are toys and completely inessential (so to speak) to society. They just aren't equivalent devices/scenarios/or use cases. Apple sells about 45-75 million iPhones a quarter, depending on the quarter we are talking about. MS has sold about 45 million Xbox Ones in total?

Do you think Microsoft should be able to lock up Windows, and all software has to go through the "MS Store" for example, with MS getting 30% of all revenue? I mean, think of what that would do to business and basically the entire world. As iOS and Android become just as important as Windows, if not more so to some businesses ... how long do we let Apple and Google assert total power over every other company on Earth? Why should Apple get a 30% revenue cut of so much economic activity "just because"? They don't do squat with the store in terms of protecting users, and the security is in the OS and api design, not "the store." There are tons of scams in the App Store. It's not safe at all.

Also the trial isn't just so Epic could have freedom on the platform, the goal is to open up the platforms equally to everyone.

My entire argument and perspective hinges on the idea that smart phones (the name itself sounds antiquated for what they really are) are now crucial components to every day living and are on equal footing with other computers. If someone thinks that they are NOT important and remain luxury items not important to businesses and our economic activity by and large, my perspective makes no sense. If that were the case, Apple should be able to do whatever the hell they want with their product. I just don't see things that way at this point.

But in the late 90's MS got in huge trouble for including a free web browser with their operating system. If what we are experiencing now isn't several orders of magnitude worse in terms of power, rent seeking, and an overall drain on external businesses ... I don't know how it stands over time.

Yea, I get what you are saying. Basically you think Apple makes enough money as it is and shouldn't scrap to get more money just because. But I would say that MS is in the same boat only because they don't need to make xbox in order to thrive. MS Windows is also essential (as you mentioned) to the world. Sony? Well, yea I guess you can pay them since they struggle anyway. Nintendo also could get paid.

Yea, I get what you are saying. Basically you think Apple makes enough money as it is and shouldn't scrap to get more money just because. But I would say that MS is in the same boat only because they don't need to make xbox in order to thrive. MS Windows is also essential (as you mentioned) to the world. Sony? Well, yea I guess you can pay them since they struggle anyway. Nintendo also could get paid.

So that's my personal point. I think iOS and Android are now basically "essential to the world" much like Windows. It's not that they just make enough so they don't deserve more. To me it's more about control over others. Apple and Google simply shouldn't have authoritarian powers over other companies. There are so many "mobile only" companies out there, all Apple has to do is ban their app, and the company is done. Finished. And the thing is, Apple customers are shown to pay much better, so in a way iOS IS the most important mobile platform out there.

So just to reiterate, nothing to do with money. Everything to do with importance to our economy, freedom, and control.

BTW, seem to see a lot of familiar NG names around here. :)

So that's my personal point. I think iOS and Android are now basically "essential to the world" much like Windows. It's not that they just make enough so they don't deserve more. To me it's more about control over others. Apple and Google simply shouldn't have authoritarian powers over other companies. There are so many "mobile only" companies out there, all Apple has to do is ban their app, and the company is done. Finished. And the thing is, Apple customers are shown to pay much better, so in a way iOS IS the most important mobile platform out there.

So just to reiterate, nothing to do with money. Everything to do with importance to our economy, freedom, and control.

BTW, seem to see a lot of familiar NG names around here. :)
Yea, I hear ya. So if they are very important to the economy and that's a disadvantage for other companies, what would you like to see that could bring them in parity with other companies or do you think that's too late?

I agree with the idea that 30% is too much as we aren't in the brick and mortar days of retail selling here when it comes to Apple's overheads. But at the same time, as an end-user not a big fan of Epics general attitude.

Reactions: VFX_Veteran