Thread: Embraced the 2nd amendment today
In honor of my CCW interview I’ve finally decided to pull the trigger (so to speak) on an M&p shield. Why a shield and not a shield plus or even a 2.0? Google “CA Handgun Roster”

This is common sense gun control guys. Don’t give them 1 inch of breathing room in your states.
California bans the SPAS-12 by name, incidentally.

Just gave the ATF $400. Finally decided to SBR my CZ Scorpion and ordered an SilencerCo Omega 9k. This will be my 2nd SBR and 6th suppressor. If history is anything to go by, Ill get the SBR stamp by summer and the suppressor stamp in early 2024 lol.

I plan in using the Omega 9k as my primary pistol can, which will let me move my Omega 36M to my rifles. They use the same piston adapter and I already have the KeyMo adapter for the 36M. And the Omega 9k uses the same 3-lug as my Octane 9, so I can always use it on my Scorpion if I get the urge.

Put on some new grips for my double stack 1911. Given I'm one of probably 5 people on the planet who really liked Duke Nukem Forever, I wanted my gun to look like Duke's pistol in that game. I had some imitation pearl grips before, but they didn't have the nuke symbol. However, one time while firing, the grips broke and the guy who made them actually made me another pair for free. And while browsing his site, I also realized he did engraving as well so I paid just the extra needed for engraving and he sent me these. Also have some O-rings in the screws so hopefully that should also absorb some vibrations while firing. Also installed a new trigger and some new sights. Will take it out shooting this weekend.
Duke-Nukem-1911.jpg

Alrighty, so I was at my local gun cave today and they had a gun I'd been looking to get for quite a while -- the Springfield TRP. The gun has been retired, but I shot one at my old range in AZ (C2 Tactical if there are any Zonies reading this) and it was fucking lights out. I wanted one, but couldn't afford the $1700-ish price tag at the time.

So here's the thing -- this one is used. It appears to have been a safe queen because there is very little wear on the lugs and the barrel lock up and there's only one minor scratch on the Armory Kote finish; it's in VERY good shape. I typically don't roll used, but seeing as A) the gun is retired and B) I got him down to $1k for it, I'm thinking real hard of diving in. Yeah, I know 1911s are big old heavy warhorses. I don't care. You're right, they only hold 8 rounds and it's tactically a disadvantage compared to newer offerings. I still don't care. I'm a 1911 guy and always will be.

Is this our gun thread?

I bought a Glock 17 Gen 4 today

Total n00b but man going to the range is dope

I'm excited

Ah, classic. You plan on carrying that thing? If so, I recommend two things:

1. A quality kydex holster. Glocks have no external safeties of any kind, so the holster itself must act as the safety and block any access to the trigger. Part of why I'm personally leery of them (much prefer a manual thumb safety like on a 1911 or a decocker on a DA/SA gun like a Beretta or Walther P99), but a lot of people like the simplicity. But that means your gun safety handling must be top notch.

2. Mostly optional, but if you want an extra margin of safety, I recommend the Striker Control Device. A good video on it here:

You might know a lot of this stuff already, but you did say you were a noob so unsolicited advice incoming. lol

• Love
Reactions: teezzy
Yeah I know absolutely nothing

Went to the range for the first time today with some buddies and had a blast. Shot multiple 9mm and an AR-15

Everyone was pretty impressed with my aim for a first timer. I attribute it to being a #gamer 😅

Either way, I was convinced I needed a pistol of my own and purchased this glock

Reactions: Arkam

Went to the range for the first time today with some buddies and had a blast. Shot multiple 9mm and an AR-15

Everyone was pretty impressed with my aim for a first timer. I attribute it to being a #gamer 😅

Either way, I was convinced I needed a pistol of my own and purchased this glock
Glocks are great. They are not sexy. But the fucking work. Pull the trigger, they go boom. No matter the ammo. They are straight up self defense appliances. I own four Glocks and love each of them. Depending on your preference, you might want to swap that rear "U" sight for a pair of big dots. I personally hate the U sights. And Magpul mags are a "cheaper" alternative to OEMs and they work flawlessly.

All about the front sight and the trigger pull.

I love my glock 17 (gen 3 because, you know, california)

I pick up my M&P Shield (first gen because, you know, california)

Gotta love those common sense gun controls.

Glocks are great. They are not sexy. But the fucking work. Pull the trigger, they go boom. No matter the ammo. They are straight up self defense appliances. I own four Glocks and love each of them. Depending on your preference, you might want to swap that rear "U" sight for a pair of big dots. I personally hate the U sights. And Magpul mags are a "cheaper" alternative to OEMs and they work flawlessly.
100 percent this. The other thing I love is that Glock mags work in the same ecosystem. I can run G17 mags in my 19 and I run 33 rounders in both of those when I feel like it. I also love that the PC Carbine I just bought takes Glock mags, making it a decent SHTF combo. You literally cannot go wrong with a Glock. Everyone should own one.

100 percent this. The other thing I love is that Glock mags work in the same ecosystem. I can run G17 mags in my 19 and I run 33 rounders in both of those when I feel like it. I also love that the PC Carbine I just bought takes Glock mags, making it a decent SHTF combo. You literally cannot go wrong with a Glock. Everyone should own one.
To be honest, I'm one of those guys who isn't as fond of Glocks primarily due to a lack of external safety mechanism. Much prefer the Sig M17 with a thumb safety or the Walther P99 with the decocker for my striker fired guns.

The magazine commonality is definitely nice, though. The fact that most 5.56 rifles take STANAG magazines means AR-15 magazines are very plentiful and fairly cheap, whereas pistol mags tend to be more proprietary. The only other "universal" ish magazine are 1911 magazines, though those are obviously single stack. Double stack 1911 magazines are mostly proprietary as well.

Reactions: HeresJohnny
So people who carry glocks per their CPL... are they just prone to accidentally their dicks off or something? 😳

So people who carry glocks per their CPL... are they just prone to accidentally their dicks off or something? 😳
Not really. There’s a tongue on the trigger that has to be depressed at the same time the trigger is pulled for it to fire. If you follow the golden rule that every gun you handle is loaded (and everyone should) you will never have an accidental discharge with a Glock. Just make sure to get a decent holster that completely obscures the trigger guard.

Not really. There’s a tongue on the trigger that has to be depressed at the same time the trigger is pulled for it to fire. If you follow the golden rule that every gun you handle is loaded (and everyone should) you will never have an accidental discharge with a Glock.

Yeah, in the middle there, but what if something bumps that tongue?

To be honest, I'm one of those guys who isn't as fond of Glocks primarily due to a lack of external safety mechanism. Much prefer the Sig M17 with a thumb safety or the Walther P99 with the decocker for my striker fired guns.

The magazine commonality is definitely nice, though. The fact that most 5.56 rifles take STANAG magazines means AR-15 magazines are very plentiful and fairly cheap, whereas pistol mags tend to be more proprietary. The only other "universal" ish magazine are 1911 magazines, though those are obviously single stack. Double stack 1911 magazines are mostly proprietary as well.
The only carry gun I’ve used with a safety is a 1911 Commander. I carry a Glock 19 and a Smith and Wesson Shield Plus with a round in the pipe appendix style and I’ve never been worried about the gun going off. In the Glock’s case, there is a firing pin block that literally obscures the primer and it only moves if the trigger is pulled. Also just got the Sig 365XL Romeo not too long ago, but I haven’t carried it yet because I haven’t found a good holster for it yet.

Yeah, in the middle there, but what if something bumps that tongue?
Then it will fire, assuming the trigger is pulled in conjunction with it. A G17 has around 5 lbs of pull with the factory trigger, so it is definitely easier said than done to not only depress the tongue safety, but also hard enough to exert 5 lbs of force on the trigger at the same time. I sometimes carry my pistols in the pocket, and a set of keys or even a pocket knife could wedge in there and do it, but not if you have a carry holster that completely obscures the trigger and the guard.

• Brain
Reactions: teezzy
Then it will fire, assuming the trigger is pulled in conjunction with it. A G17 has around 5 lbs of pull with the factory trigger, so it is definitely easier said than done to not only depress the tongue safety, but also hard enough to exert 5 lbs of force on the trigger at the same time. I sometimes carry my pistols in the pocket, and a set of keys or even a pocket knife could wedge in there and do it, but not if you have a carry holster that completely obscures the trigger and the guard.

Yeah, that was my next question

I was going to say that I'd assumed the holster protected the trigger... also the weapon would have to be cocked

I'm super new to all this so thank you

• Cheers
Every single time I see this thread I forget what it is about and get excited thinking one of you fuckers shot someone. 😔😔

Yeah, a Glock won't go off unless you fuck up. There are a bunch of internal safety mechanisms. I just always feel like since humans, including myself, aren't perfect, it's better to have a redundancy in place just in case. A 1911 thumb safety isn't a replacement for good gun safety handling, but it is a nice safety net in the one time I fuck up.

Plus, there is a performance benefit to a thumb safety, too. Most people would be reluctant to carry a chambered and cocked 1911 in Condition 0 with the safety off, even though a Series 80 1911 also has a firing pin block, plus the usual drop safeties like the grip safety and half cock notch. That's because a 1911 trigger is too short and too crisp to where any small fuck up causes the gun to fire. But that aspect is also why 1911 triggers are so nice to shoot. Incidentally, my Walther P99, while having a long and heavy double action trigger the first go, has a really light and nice trigger once it's in single action. For all intents and purposes, it's basically Walther's answer to the Glock 19, but with a DA/SA trigger. Plus it's a James Bond gun. Really recommend it.

Yeah, that was my next question

I was going to say that I'd assumed the holster protected the trigger... also the weapon would have to be cocked

I'm super new to all this so thank you
The best advice I can give you besides spending the money on a good holster, is to develop proper muscle memory and force into your mind the idea that your finger never goes in that guard unless you've committed to pulling the trigger. Most accidental discharges I've heard about come from people instinctively putting their finger around the trigger when they're handling it. That gun is as deadly as a pit viper in a sleeping bag, but the only way it can hurt you is if you don't respect it. Just learn to keep your shooting finger straight along the frame of the gun until you're ready to shoot and you'll never have a single problem I promise.

Also, if you are keeping the gun loaded as a defensive piece, make sure to get hollow points. Too many people just go ahead and load their defensive weapon with regular jacketed ammo, but if you God forbid ever have to use it, those kinds of rounds can travel through walls and into adjoining spaces. Get yourself a nice box of hollow points and keep those in it when it's guarding you.

Reactions: teezzy and Arkam
The best advice I can give you besides spending the money on a good holster, is to develop proper muscle memory and force into your mind the idea that your finger never goes in that guard unless you've committed to pulling the trigger. Most accidental discharges I've heard about come from people instinctively putting their finger around the trigger when they're handling it. That gun is as deadly as a pit viper in a sleeping bag, but the only way it can hurt you is if you don't respect it. Just learn to keep your shooting finger straight along the frame of the gun until you're ready to shoot and you'll never have a single problem I promise.

Also, if you are keeping the gun loaded as a defensive piece, make sure to get hollow points. Too many people just go ahead and load their defensive weapon with regular jacketed ammo, but if you God forbid ever have to use it, those kinds of rounds can travel through walls and into adjoining spaces. Get yourself a nice box of hollow points and keep those in it when it's guarding you.
Speaking of the holster, the second advice I would add on top of that is to holster slowly and holster reluctantly because the one exception to the "finger on the trigger" rule is often during reholstering where a shirt or some other random crap gets into the trigger guard and your act of pushing the gun down into the holster can cause the trigger to be pulled and the gun to go off. So always check that the holster is empty, make sure to move all your clothes out of the way, and holster slowly so if something comes up, you have a bit of time to react.

This is also why that Striker Control Device thing I linked above is handy. It offers one extra layer of safety in that if something does get caught on the trigger, you can see or feel the back plate moving and be able to stop before a round goes off. Incidentally, that is one of the benefits of a hammer fired DA/SA gun where people often pin the hammer while reholstering for this purpose, or in my case with a single action cocked and locked 1911, I can block the hammer while reholstering for similar benefits.

Yea my shield has a thumb safety and I’m glad to have it when I start carrying next year. I’m extremely cautious, but as someone said, no one is perfect and having a gun attached to you is pretty high stakes. It’s either thumb safety or not carrying with one in the chamber for me.

Anyone have any recommendations for, or links to websites that have lists of, good .22 rifles? Bolt or semi auto, ideally wooden stocked.

Also versions suitable for women, or made for women.

There's just such a huge variety out there, as a newcomer to the scene, it's a bit overwhelming with choices.

Anyone have any recommendations for, or links to websites that have lists of, good .22 rifles? Bolt or semi auto, ideally wooden stocked.

There's just such a huge variety out there, as a newcomer to the scene, it's a bit overwhelming with choices.
The easy answer is Ruger 10/22. Low cost, reliable, relatively accurate. I’m super fond of the Henry lever action .22. Cowboy guns kick ass, and Henry makes a .22 for just about everyone as long as said gun is a lever action.

Reactions: Stilton Disco
The easy answer is Ruger 10/22. Low cost, reliable, relatively accurate. I’m super fond of the Henry lever action .22. Cowboy guns kick ass, and Henry makes a .22 for just about everyone as long as said gun is a lever action.
Aye, the Ruger keeps coming up, and is what a lot of the people at my gun club use/recommend.

I do like the look of lever actions, so I'll look at the Henry's too.

One thing I would love is if anyone knows of any sizing guides? I'm a 6ft6 man and my wife is a 5ft6 woman, so I can't help but feel there should be quite a big difference in what would be comfortable for each of us to use.

Surely there must be some guides somewhere on getting a gun to fit each of our frames properly, rather than just going off price and model?

• Cheers
Aye, the Ruger keeps coming up, and is what a lot of the people at my gun club use/recommend.

I do like the look of lever actions, so I'll look at the Henry's too.

One thing I would love is if anyone knows of any sizing guides? I'm a 6ft6 man and my wife is a 5ft6 woman, so I can't help but feel there should be quite a big difference in what would be comfortable for each of us to use.

Surely there must be some guides somewhere on getting a gun to fit each of our frames properly, rather than just going off price and model?
Never really seen a guide per se. She won't have any trouble, but given your height you need to make sure you don't wind up with anything labeled "Youth Model." Other than that, you should be fine, I'm 6'4" and have no issues with any of the rifles I own.

That said, you could go with an AR15-22. It's basically an AR platform but only fires .22. It has an adjustable 3 point stock on it that may make a difference for you guys.

Never really seen a guide per se. She won't have any trouble, but given your height you need to make sure you don't wind up with anything labeled "Youth Model." Other than that, you should be fine, I'm 6'4" and have no issues with any of the rifles I own.

That said, you could go with an AR15-22. It's basically an AR platform but only fires .22. It has an adjustable 3 point stock on it that may make a difference for you guys.
But then we run into the fact I prefer the look of wooden stocked rifles.

And yeah, it just seems weird to me that if I want a paddle, a saw, a spade, a sleeping mattress or a backpack, then I can easily find a dozen sizing guides, and most manufacturers will make variants to fit you, often with a whole parallel line with the same options to fit women's physiology, but guns of all things seem to take the 'one size fit's all' approach.

• This tbh

Allow me to recommend a vintage rifle.

27ba103cfbf8e89bb2b7ea20d36aba58.jpg

The Remington 550 .22 (will shoot short, long, and long rifle cartridges), made from 1946 - 1971. I have inherited my fathers Remington 550 he purchased when he was 12 years old; he took very good care of it for how much use it has had over the years as he taught my brothers and me to shoot with his 550 I now own. It still shoots beautifully, is a handsome firearm and a piece of American history. You can find them in various conditions on the open market for as low as $250.00 on up.

Last edited:
Finally got my M&P Shield. Hopefully I can upgrade to a Shield Plus at some point in the future when this fucking CA handgun roster is deemed unconstitutional.

Now I need to jump through the final 2 hoops in the CCW process and I’m good to go.

I’m a broken record, but seriously, if anyone says “common sense gun control” you slap them in the face and point to CA and all the other retarded states with high gun crime and crazy stupid gun laws.

Finally got my M&P Shield. Hopefully I can upgrade to a Shield Plus at some point in the future when this fucking CA handgun roster is deemed unconstitutional.

Now I need to jump through the final 2 hoops in the CCW process and I’m good to go.

I’m a broken record, but seriously, if anyone says “common sense gun control” you slap them in the face and point to CA and all the other retarded states with high gun crime and crazy stupid gun laws.
There was that string of mass shooting recently in California that people are blaming on "assault pistols" now. lol

Of course, it got memoryholed immediately because the perpetrators were all Asian. Had it been a white guy, you bet your ass everyone online would've been all #StopAsianHate for months on end.

• This tbh
Reactions: Arkam
There was that string of mass shooting recently in California that people are blaming on "assault pistols" now. lol

Of course, it got memoryholed immediately because the perpetrators were all Asian. Had it been a white guy, you bet your ass everyone online would've been all #StopAsianHate for months on end.
Not memory holes out here. They are using the shootings to push for more gun control.

Currently, I only own a .308 for deer hunting. It's always been my go-to, but my brother has gotten me interested in getting a 6.5 Grendel. I'm heavily debating, but I have been using solely a .308 for hunting since like the 8th grade.

Reactions: WesternBlood
Currently, I only own a .308 for deer hunting. It's always been my go-to, but my brother has gotten me interested in getting a 6.5 Grendel. I'm heavily debating, but I have been using solely a .308 for hunting since like the 8th grade.

Since you have the 308 already I would just stay with that cartridge. Its a bigger bullet, flatter shooter, thats cheaper and more available. I could see the want for 6.5 Creedmore if you are trying to take shots farther out. But then I might also choose a 270.

I personally use a 308 for most hunting (white tail and hogs), but this year I started using subsonic 300blk suppressed on white tail cuz I often get <50m shots.

All that said. I have one buddy who has an AR in 6.5 grendal and loves it. I think he uses it for hog hunting mostly.

• Strength
Reactions: Melon
So I took my shield to the range last week. Surprisingly accurate and the recoil is surprisingly light given the size of the thing.

The one thing that I need to get used to is the trigger. Not the biggest fan. I feel like there is too much uptake to the wall and the reset is a bit of a disaster. I’m sure I could get used to both of these things but I’m also seeing this apex trigger doodad that looks intriguing.

What do you think? Should I keep the default trigger and just keep practicing to get used to both annoyances or do I install a new trigger in my primary carry gun. I’m reluctant to modify carry guns.

So I took my shield to the range last week. Surprisingly accurate and the recoil is surprisingly light given the size of the thing.

The one thing that I need to get used to is the trigger. Not the biggest fan. I feel like there is too much uptake to the wall and the reset is a bit of a disaster. I’m sure I could get used to both of these things but I’m also seeing this apex trigger doodad that looks intriguing.

What do you think? Should I keep the default trigger and just keep practicing to get used to both annoyances or do I install a new trigger in my primary carry gun. I’m reluctant to modify carry guns.
There's been some talk about whether modifying carry guns would land you in legal trouble, but I always thought that was a bit ridiculous. So long as the gun is safe and functional, it should be fine. Generally, you should care more about how you use your gun rather than what it is. Make sure you know the circumstances for where lethal force is legally justified or not.

That being said, though, it's the "safe and functional" part that could be tricky since some aftermarket triggers are only really well suited for competition use and are too light and crisp for safe carry without a manual safety. This is part of why I prefer just having manual safeties. I can have a nice, light, crisp 1911 trigger when the gun is off safe plus an extra safety margin when the gun is on safe. Of course, that does also require you to train to flip the safety on and off every time.

1911 bros,

Anyone run into FTF issues and if so, what did you do to resolve? I've got a couple SDS Import 1911's and I'm running into issues with both doing it. I specifically bought a carry version a few months ago because I wanted to throw it into my carry rotation. Problem is that there's definitely a reliability issue with feeding and due to that, it's currently relegated to range duty and that's it. First 300 rounds I ran through it I was getting FTF's on the last round in my 8rd mags. I used two different rounds (Winchester and American Eagle .45 FMJ) and two different mags (no name OEM mag that came with the gun and Mec Gear). Didn't matter.

Bought some Trip Cobra's since their one of the top mags and supposedly fix a lot of feeding issues. Went out and ran another 50 rounds through with those and I was getting FTF's now in the middle of the stack. Needless to say, I was displeased.

Now I'm screwing around with the tension on the extractor. I adjusted that and haven't had a chance to test. Hopefully next week. If that doesn't fix it, not even sure what to do other than contact SDS and send this back under warranty.

What sucks is I really like the 1911 platform but man, if there's going to be reliability issues with these, they aren't getting carried. I'll stick with my striker fire pistols. I don't ever have problems with those. FML, I didn't realize 1911's can be finicky little bastards.