Thread: Embraced the 2nd amendment today
Nah I hate that guy. He's a douche.
Ah, I see his sense of humor doesn't land for you.

His Recce series (3rd part is already up) has great advice for those who haven't served or gone to any Military Mountaineering training. His new shooting range is not too far from a friend who owns 400 acres in Washington. They cross paths often.

• 100%
Reactions: QuantumZebra
Ah, I see his sense of humor doesn't land for you.

His Recce series (3rd part is already up) has great advice for those who haven't served or gone to any Military Mountaineering training. His new shooting range is not too far from a friend who owns 400 acres in Washington. They cross paths often.
Nah, he just gives me the tactical poser vibe. Like Chris Costa. Random dude pretending to have been in tier 1 or something.

The funny thing is the best shooters are all comp guys, so who cares what a tier 1 guy does with a pistol?

• Really?
Nah, he just gives me the tactical poser vibe. Like Chris Costa. Random dude pretending to have been in tier 1 or something.

The funny thing is the best shooters are all comp guys, so who cares what a tier 1 guy does with a pistol?
Uh, Mike "Garand Thumb" Jones is active duty TACP and Military Survival instructor for the U.S. Military.

Uh, Mike "Garand Thumb" Jones is active duty TACP and Military Survival instructor for the U.S. Military.

Wow that's surprising.

Still, he comes off as a larper. I'm sure he's real good at calling in airstrikes though.

• Really?
Digging what? I've trained with tier one guys, and high level USPSA guys. No one does what he's doing.
I am enjoying you having to eat crow on what you think you know about Garand Thumb. It is ok to not like him, but man, quit while you are ahead.

I am enjoying you having to eat crow on what you think you know about Garand Thumb. It is ok to not like him, but man, quit while you are ahead.
Here is what I said:
He does give off a Chris Costa poser vibe.

He is not tier 1.

Forgotten Weapons is the only gun channel really worth watching. TFB is alright, but you can tell they're shills.
Forgotten Weapons is solid and informative. TFB is usually funny... but just an advertisement. I rarely watch their videos, but I do read their website to stay current with stuff.

Holy crap, didn't realize there were so many 10mm folk in this thread lol. It was a bit of an obscure round for a really long time.

All that said. I am with you. Fuck compact. Give me velocity if I ever have to use a handgun to ward off a big brown bear. Isnt that primary use for those chest rigs? Strapping on a massive 44mag. I have mostly lived in the South and never had to plan for the situation. Here we just have black bears and they are easy enough to scare off without guns.

Yah, went with a chest holster so it wouldn't get in the way of hiking - considering the limited difference in weight, not sure the reason for going with a compact. The 2 wilderness lodge hosts were carrying a G40 and S&W 629 in a 44mag - I think it was a 5". Ended up loving my chest rig - I think we hiked a total of 30-35mi in some pretty nasty stuff. Wife didn't like the lopsidedness of a belt holster (will not do appendix carry) after about 2-3mi and just ended up sticking with bear spray.

I don't use revolvers primarily because I find I'm far more inaccurate with DA revolvers due to trigger pull weight and don't want to be fumbling with SA revolvers.

Holy crap, didn't realize there were so many 10mm folk in this thread lol. It was a bit of an obscure round for a really long time.

Yah, went with a chest holster so it wouldn't get in the way of hiking - considering the limited difference in weight, not sure the reason for going with a compact. The 2 wilderness lodge hosts were carrying a G40 and S&W 629 in a 44mag - I think it was a 5". Ended up loving my chest rig - I think we hiked a total of 30-35mi in some pretty nasty stuff. Wife didn't like the lopsidedness of a belt holster (will not do appendix carry) after about 2-3mi and just ended up sticking with bear spray.

I don't use revolvers primarily because I find I'm far more inaccurate with DA revolvers due to trigger pull weight and don't want to be fumbling with SA revolvers.
10mm's been gaining in popularity recently. There was always a cult following for it, but it got superseded by .40S&W after the FBI adopted it. Now that .40S&W is basically dead, 10mm's making a resurgence.

I want 5.7x28mm to also get more popular. One, because I like Splinter Cell. Two, because 5.7 does everything people praise 9mm for but better in every way.

• Strength
Reactions: MetalAlien
Got some imitation pearl grips for my 1911 so I finally completed my Duke Nukem 1911 look. Granted, I do still need someone to engrave or burn the nuke symbol on it.

Duke-Nukem-Forever-1911-Real-Life.jpg
Duke-Nukem-Forever-1911.png

Still, really happy with it. I got a 1911, but it's also double stack with 15+1 rounds of .45ACP (and 18+1 with extended mags).

This deer hunting season I wanted to try a new setup. In years past I have just used my trusty .308 bolt action with an 18" barrel and Federal soft points. It has always got the job done in one shot from 50-150yrds. BUt the last couple years I have had opportunities for much closer shots (I have been picky on which buck I wanted).

So this year I picked up a Ruger American in 300blk. Its a 16" threaded barrel. I got some 190gr Hornady subsonic rounds that supposedly expand fully down to 900fps. Then gonna add on my Omega 300 suppressor.

The hope is that from our stand we can pop multiple deer in the same morning if we let them get under 50yds. The setup MIGHT be good past that distance, but I dont want to have to track anything down. I want either a <30yd brain pan or clean double lung.

Just handling the setup, it ssuper handy. The 16" barrel makes it a nice truck gun. Only thing that set it back is the insane price of 300blk. Super isnt too bad, but sub is over a dollar a shot. But it is a bolt gun with a (moderately) thin barrel, so it will never get many rounds down range.

• Hell Yeah!
10mm's been gaining in popularity recently. There was always a cult following for it, but it got superseded by .40S&W after the FBI adopted it. Now that .40S&W is basically dead, 10mm's making a resurgence.

I want 5.7x28mm to also get more popular. One, because I like Splinter Cell. Two, because 5.7 does everything people praise 9mm for but better in every way.
This, but 5.7 ammo is scarce and expensive when you can find it. I almost bought the new Ruger 57, but ultimately held off when considering the cost to feed it.

Is ammo still a royal bitch to obtain?
Not really. Most everything is available... just at a still inflated price. I refuse to pay more than 30 cents a round for 5.56. I think the average I have seen is like 45 cents. So its definitely coming down.... but no where near where it was four years ago.

• Strength
Reactions: Allnamestakenlol
Not really. Most everything is available... just at a still inflated price. I refuse to pay more than 30 cents a round for 5.56. I think the average I have seen is like 45 cents. So its definitely coming down.... but no where near where it was four years ago.
Thank Christ. About a year ago ever place was OUT OF STOCK for just about ever calibre I could think of.

Fun fact, I can’t use ammo seek because of Californians common sense gun control that requires a background check for ammo purchases and for online ammo purchases to go through an ffl.

It’s just common sense gun control guys. I can’t wait for all of these cases to make their way in front of a judge so Bruen can dick slap the anti-gun bullshit here.

For you 10MM fans out there. Is that like a wilderness defense firearm for you or are you carrying it? If the latter aren’t you worried about over penetration?

This deer hunting season I wanted to try a new setup. In years past I have just used my trusty .308 bolt action with an 18" barrel and Federal soft points. It has always got the job done in one shot from 50-150yrds. BUt the last couple years I have had opportunities for much closer shots (I have been picky on which buck I wanted).

So this year I picked up a Ruger American in 300blk. Its a 16" threaded barrel. I got some 190gr Hornady subsonic rounds that supposedly expand fully down to 900fps. Then gonna add on my Omega 300 suppressor.

The hope is that from our stand we can pop multiple deer in the same morning if we let them get under 50yds. The setup MIGHT be good past that distance, but I dont want to have to track anything down. I want either a <30yd brain pan or clean double lung.

Just handling the setup, it ssuper handy. The 16" barrel makes it a nice truck gun. Only thing that set it back is the insane price of 300blk. Super isnt too bad, but sub is over a dollar a shot. But it is a bolt gun with a (moderately) thin barrel, so it will never get many rounds down range.
I took this setup to the range today. It is a slick setup! The Hornady 190gr rounds and the Omega 300 made for a quiet but accurate setup. However it was far from perfect. The glass I was using was kinda shitt. Was a lower end Bushnell I just had. Could barely see my shots at 50 yds in 3-9. It was service able but I will be replacing. And then there was the Ruger American action. Its a bit sticky if you dont work it just right. Its a solid lock up and ran flawlessly. But it does not like sloppy or forceful racking.

Also ran a few super sonic rounds to get it sighted in ( I am not made of money!) and was a bit surprised at the thump they provided. I know its a light rig, but was still a bit more than I was expecting lol. The Hornady subs were almost as soft as a 22lr.

Took that 300blk setup for a test drive this morning (opening day of Texas deer season) and it was great. Popped a buck in the brain at 35yds. Dropped him instantly… and it was so quiet. So quiet in fact that my buddy was able to take a doe from the same group shortly after.

You know what I love about Winter? That its should holster season! As soon as I can wear jackets in Texas I start wearing my should holsters. So much more comfortable tan IWB carry. I mean it makes carrying a G19 comfortable and inconspicuous. And my Galco holster has two mags on the opposite side, so its ~45rds on tap in case things go south. Really makes a man feel comfortable

Reactions: HeresJohnny
Finally got the call for my CCW Permit interview. 10 months after submitting the application. Yay Los Angeles. Should be probably another 3 months before I actually get to pick it up. Over a 1 year process, but I’m supposed to be grateful that the powers that be don’t get to decide who can and cannot get to exercise their 2nd amendment right like they were a year ago

Digging what? I've trained with tier one guys, and high level USPSA guys. No one does what he's doing.

Trained with "tier one" guys and competed at a high level and you didn't even realize Garand Thumb (well known in the gun community and an attendee at many such training events/competitions) was AFSOC and active duty till recently? But you know enough to have a negative opinion on him?

YA39MoH.gif

I am about to build a 300blk Aero AR once the parts arrive. I have a couple AKs and ARs and a CZ bolt action in x39 (my hunting gun), but I may end up grabbing that same rifle to hunt with the 300blk and my can.

Also I highly recommend a Vortex Diamondback (cheap option) or Strike Eagle (midrange) - I run both and they're great. The higher end Vortex, Razor iirc, is a mil-spec scope, and fantastic.

Finally got the call for my CCW Permit interview. 10 months after submitting the application. Yay Los Angeles. Should be probably another 3 months before I actually get to pick it up. Over a 1 year process, but I’m supposed to be grateful that the powers that be don’t get to decide who can and cannot get to exercise their 2nd amendment right like they were a year ago
Interview? Wtf... I thought after Bruen the SC ruled all states must be "shall issue" and not "may issue".

In GA I went to the courthouse, paid $45, did my background check, and it showed up in the mail 2 weeks later.

Interview? Wtf... I thought after Bruen the SC ruled all states must be "shall issue" and not "may issue".
Oh I’m sorry, you must think I live in America, I’m sorry, it’s a common mistake, you see I live in California.

In this state we make blatantly unconstitutional laws we know won’t pass muster and then tie them up in the courts for years.

They actually recently passed a bill here where if you sue the state on gun laws you are liable to pay the states legal bills.

Oh I’m sorry, you must think I live in America, I’m sorry, it’s a common mistake, you see I live in California.

In this state we make blatantly unconstitutional laws we know won’t pass muster and then tie them up in the courts for years.

They actually recently passed a bill here where if you sue the state on gun laws you are liable to pay the states legal bills.
Jesus, man. I joke about California but that sounds nightmarish. Sucks cause the state is beautiful but the politics... fucking yikes.

Jesus, man. I joke about California but that sounds nightmarish. Sucks cause the state is beautiful but the politics... fucking yikes.
Its why when anyone says "common sense gun laws" I want to beat them upside the head with the constitution.

There is nothing "common sense" about these gun laws.

• 100%
Trained with "tier one" guys and competed at a high level and you didn't even realize Garand Thumb (well known in the gun community and an attendee at many such training events/competitions) was AFSOC and active duty till recently? But you know enough to have a negative opinion on him?

YA39MoH.gif
I've just seen a few of his videos and didn't care for the guy personally. Training has nothing to do with youtube personalities.
I never competed at a high level, I trained with those guys. I haven't payed attention to the industry since 2016.

I enjoyed his obrez video.

Ho-ly jeez. Pop smoke and gtfo. What a shit state.

I feel awful for you. Seriously. What an absolute joke.

I kinda laughed when I saw him saying you had to push two buttons to load since the other button he’s referring to is the magazine disconnect. Not only do you not have to push that button to load, it makes it harder to load since you’re basically trying to force the shell past something that’s meant to block it from coming out.

I don’t blame him, though. The main issue with the SPAS-12 is since it’s such a rare shotgun, information on the gun is very minimal. Most of the stuff I know about this gun, I had to figure out for myself over the course of many months as opposed to something like an AR-15 which everyone, everywhere knows exactly what to do for everything. A lot of people don’t even know the magazine disconnect is even a thing.

There is also ways to reload more efficiently too. This doesn’t mean the requirement to hold down the bolt release isn’t still an annoyance, but at least it can be mitigated. But again, these techniques are also ways I figured out myself since most of the standard shotgun reloading techniques are for modern shotguns where holding down the bolt release is no longer a requirement.

• Cheers
Reactions: WesternBlood
In honor of my CCW interview I’ve finally decided to pull the trigger (so to speak) on an M&p shield. Why a shield and not a shield plus or even a 2.0? Google “CA Handgun Roster”

This is common sense gun control guys. Don’t give them 1 inch of breathing room in your states.