Thread: Embraced the 2nd amendment today
Honestly the only thing that keeps me from getting a Springfield M1A Scout is learning a new bolt carrier group. ARs I wan disassemble in my sleep. But my PTR 91 already makes me go...hmm..wtf....oh yea! every time. My simple mind has reached its limits.

But damn do I want one!

Eh, learning a new disassembly mechanism isn't really a big deal for me. I find learning that stuff actually quite fascinating, honestly. The fact that an AR-10 functions and disassembles exactly like an AR-15 is precisely why I don't want one. I find that kinda boring. But everything I've read does make it more practical than an M14, so I'm trying to see if there is some reliable and consistent way to avoid all the issues everyone keeps parroting.

Again, assuming those are even true. I know a lot of people parrot certain things about why the SPAS-12 sucks, but my experience with the gun has been quite positive once I figured out how the gun works, so most of the criticisms I notice are more due to lack of understanding of the platform than anything else. But now I want to know if someone can do the same for the M14 for me.

Eh, learning a new disassembly mechanism isn't really a big deal for me. I find learning that stuff actually quite fascinating, honestly. The fact that an AR-10 functions and disassembles exactly like an AR-15 is precisely why I don't want one. I find that kinda boring. But everything I've read does make it more practical than an M14, so I'm trying to see if there is some reliable and consistent way to avoid all the issues everyone keeps parroting.

Again, assuming those are even true. I know a lot of people parrot certain things about why the SPAS-12 sucks, but my experience with the gun has been quite positive once I figured out how the gun works, so most of the criticisms I notice are more due to lack of understanding of the platform than anything else. But now I want to know if someone can do the same for the M14 for me.

Its not an issue of learning, its a matter of remembering. I have A LOT of guns. It takes me years to rotate through and shoot. So by the time I get back to some, I have to either read the manual or go to the internet. Most are simple and either variations of the glock take down, bolt guns or an AK/AR platforms. But there are a few that always trip me up until I look it up and go "oh yea". So the idea of adding too many more new 'one offs' sounds unappealing honestly. Similar to how I feel about getting a firearm with a new caliber. 6.5 Creedmoor looks dope, but I have a dozen 308s, so its just not happening.

I think I have appetite for four more firearms. Ruger Gunsite Scout in 308, Benelli M4, Barrett M99 and a piston based 5.56 like the CZ Bren 2 (in that order). And those are probably only happening if a get rid of a few ARs and a couple bolt guns.

Of course, guns are like tattoos. You always say 'that is enough' and then get a few more.

Reactions: regawdless
Its not an issue of learning, its a matter of remembering. I have A LOT of guns. It takes me years to rotate through and shoot. So by the time I get back to some, I have to either read the manual or go to the internet. Most are simple and either variations of the glock take down, bolt guns or an AK/AR platforms. But there are a few that always trip me up until I look it up and go "oh yea". So the idea of adding too many more new 'one offs' sounds unappealing honestly. Similar to how I feel about getting a firearm with a new caliber. 6.5 Creedmoor looks dope, but I have a dozen 308s, so its just not happening.

I think I have appetite for four more firearms. Ruger Gunsite Scout in 308, Benelli M4, Barrett M99 and a piston based 5.56 like the CZ Bren 2 (in that order). And those are probably only happening if a get rid of a few ARs and a couple bolt guns.

Of course, guns are like tattoos. You always say 'that is enough' and then get a few more.

Fair enough, though if it's a gun that I shoot less often enough that I forget how to disassemble it, it's not that big a deal for me to re-learn since I'm not doing it repeatedly. So for me, having interesting new actions is more appealing to me. Having a dozen different ARs or AKs like everyone else is kinda boring, even if the more exotic stuff will always be more expensive.

Honestly the only thing that keeps me from getting a Springfield M1A Scout is learning a new bolt carrier group. ARs I wan disassemble in my sleep. But my PTR 91 already makes me go...hmm..wtf....oh yea! every time. My simple mind has reached its limits.

But damn do I want one!

I have the Scout Squad. Love it, however, Field stripping is…. Interesting. Greasing the bolt roller bearing is a pain in the ass. Still love the gun and would never part with it, even though I have an AR10 as well.I will never part with any of my .308s truth be toId.

For 100yrds and Iron sights thats not bad at all. Also a beautiful rifle.

Thanks! It's definitely not straight forward and requires some training. But it's a ton of fun, this raw aiming experience. Same for the other guns. When I see people turning up with a red dot sight.... Like, what are you even doing guys.

• This tbh
Reactions: Epic Nemesis
Thanks! It's definitely not straight forward and requires some training. But it's a ton of fun, this raw aiming experience. Same for the other guns. When I see people turning up with a red dot sight.... Like, what are you even doing guys.

Red Dot is like cooking a steak sous vide. Yes, the end result was good, but there was no skill involved so it’s hard to derive satisfaction from it.

Red dot for self defense, iron sights for honing your skillset and having fun.

• 100%
Red Dot is like cooking a steak sous vide. Yes, the end result was good, but there was no skill involved so it’s hard to derive satisfaction from it.

Red dot for self defense, iron sights for honing your skillset and having fun.

Yeah, and I always felt training with the harder stuff means if you're in a real situation, the easier method will feel like a benefit rather than a crutch. It's why I usually train to reload with my eyes closed even though I'd bring it up to my peripheral vision in real life, since if I can do reloads without looking, then having it in my peripheral will just be an enhancement.

I have the Scout Squad. Love it, however, Field stripping is…. Interesting. Greasing the bolt roller bearing is a pain in the ass. Still love the gun and would never part with it, even though I have an AR10 as well.I will never part with any of my .308s truth be toId.
I hear it field strips like an M1 Garand, so once you get used to it, it's not too bad. I grease my SPAS-12 and oil my 1911 all the time, so that's not the big issue. Main issue I always hear is the only way to make the M14 as accurate as an AR-10 is by glass bedding it, but glass bedding degrades every time you disassemble it and it requires some tuning or settling after a few shots to get back to accuracy. Glass bedding or rebedding is beyond my capability, but again, I'm not entirely sure if that's actually true or bullshit from people who don't know any better.

Need some recommendations!

- handgun
- 9mm
- lightweight
- precise and good handling
- no big clunky heavy behemoth
- grip for medium hands
- if possible not above the 700 bucks range
- bonus points for some style
- for some fun fast shooting on the range but also as a quick self defense weapon at home

What would you guys recommend?

- handgun
- 9mm
- lightweight
- grip for medium hands
- for some fun fast shooting on the range but also as a quick self defense weapon at home

Sounds like a Glock 19 to me,but no bonus points for style there. Search the web for Glock 19 competitors.

I have a 17 for home defense and an m&p shield for ccw.

- handgun
- 9mm
- lightweight
- grip for medium hands

Glock 17 or 19. Or Walther PDP. Or Springfield SA35. Or Beretta 92. Or HK VP9. Or CZ75. Or Sig 226 (but that is around $800). Or Sig 320 (people like to shit on this platform but it just beat Glock for military use). Also Springfield Echelon (check this one out, it looks very promising).

Personally, I'm high on the PDP right now. I just got one for $460 and it has the best grip I've ever felt. Also super aggro slide cuts make press checks easy. High capacity. Slide is already pre-cut for optics too. I missed out on the PPQ, but it was famous for its amazing trigger and the PDP has the PPQ trigger in it. Walther is a German manufacturer that constantly lives in shadow if the gun being discussed isn't the P99, and that sucks because they make amazing guns.

Last edited:
  • Star
Glock 17 or 19. Or Walther PDP. Or Springfield SA35. Or Beretta 92. Or HK VP9. Or CZ75. Or Sig 226 (but that is around $800). Or Sig 320 (people like to shit on this platform but it just beat Glock for military use). Also Springfield Echelon (check this one out, it looks very promising).

Personally, I'm high on the PDP right now. I just got one for $460 and it has the best grip I've ever felt. Also super aggro slide cuts make press checks easy. High capacity. Slide is already pre-cut for optics too. I missed out on the PPQ, but it was famous for its amazing trigger and the PDP has the PPQ trigger in it. Walther is a German manufacturer that constantly lives in shadow if the gun being discussed isn't the P99, and that sucks because they make amazing guns.

So far, CZ75 and the PDP are my favorites, good to hear that you like the PDP, it seems amazing.

What version do you have, 4, 4.5 or 5"?

• Love
Reactions: HeresJohnny

- handgun
- 9mm
- lightweight
- grip for medium hands

Sig P365

- handgun
- 9mm
- lightweight
- grip for medium hands

I prefer the Walther P99, but unfortunately that's being discontinued. The Canik TP9DA is a clone, though, and also very cheap. Most people would recommend a Glock 19, but I don't like the gun not having any sort of external safety mechanism. The P99 is a striker fired DA/SA gun, which is pretty unique, and the trigger in single action is amazeballs. Walther PDP is the newest model with the same great trigger, but it lacks the double action safety which I'm personally not a fan of.

Also 9mm is for sissies. Shoot .45ACP like a real man.

So far, CZ75 and the PDP are my favorites, good to hear that you like the PDP, it seems amazing.

What version do you have, 4, 4.5 or 5"?

Aint nothing wrong with a CZ 75, I have a few and love them. My fav is the SP-01. Fantastic shooter, but its too heavy for carry and more of a range toy. IMO if I were to by one handgun it would be the CZ P-10C. Its like the Glock 19's cute cousin. Does everything the Glock does... and a few things she wont.

Seriously, feels better in the hand, easier to shoot well, fits in many Glock 19 holsters (not all though), AND its cheaper! I have one with ~1200 rounds through it and its my favorite polymer striker pistol. Not a single failure! Oh and it shares mags with the CZ P-07.

• Strength
I prefer the Walther P99, but unfortunately that's being discontinued. The Canik TP9DA is a clone, though, and also very cheap. Most people would recommend a Glock 19, but I don't like the gun not having any sort of external safety mechanism. The P99 is a striker fired DA/SA gun, which is pretty unique, and the trigger in single action is amazeballs. Walther PDP is the newest model with the same great trigger, but it lacks the double action safety which I'm personally not a fan of.

Also 9mm is for sissies. Shoot .45ACP like a real man.

P99 is the goat. I love mine. I carry my PPK more often though for concealment.

P99 is the goat. I love mine. I carry my PPK more often though for concealment.

I played the sixth gen EA published Bond games (back when EA didn't suck ass) so much that much of my childhood was spent staring at the back of the P99, so I knew I had to have one someday. Definitely my favorite striker fired pistol and I wish it wasn't being discontinued.

How's the PPK, btw? I know many people criticize it for its ergonomics these days due to it being designed strictly for one handed firing. That's one of the nice things about the 1911, since it continually received updates and tweaks over the last century, so modern 1911 parts allow for modern shooting styles.

Reactions: SpartanN92
P365 and shield plus can now be purchased in California (as long as you only have the 10 round mags and obviously well above the average cost)

Anyone with extensive use on both? I’m leaning towards the shield plus because it seems like it might have the better trigger. I currently have a regular shield.

P365 and shield plus can now be purchased in California (as long as you only have the 10 round mags and obviously well above the average cost)

Anyone with extensive use on both? I’m leaning towards the shield plus because it seems like it might have the better trigger. I currently have a regular shield.

I looked at both of them and went with a P365XL Romeo Zero. I liked the Sig trigger over the Shield.

I looked at both of them and went with a P365XL Romeo Zero. I liked the Sig trigger over the Shield.

Woa Woa Woa don’t go crazy here. We only get the plain Jane p365. Each individual gun has to be bested and approved by the CA DOJ.

I fucking hate the retards in this state.

Woa Woa Woa don’t go crazy here. We only get the plain Jane p365. Each individual gun has to be bested and approved by the CA DOJ.

If I wasn't able to get the Sig, I would have been happy with the Shield. They are both comparable for a micro carry, even if I kind of negated that with the version I bought. Still is easy to conceal, regardless.

It's going to come down to what feels most comfortable in your hand, if you are able to shoot either, do that to help make your decision.

If I wasn't able to get the Sig, I would have been happy with the Shield. They are both comparable for a micro carry, even if I kind of negated that with the version I bought. Still is easy to conceal, regardless.

It's going to come down to what feels most comfortable in your hand, if you are able to shoot either, do that to help make your decision.

Yea I think I’m going to head to a firing range once they are both in the market a few months.

Yea I think I’m going to head to a firing range once they are both in the market a few months.

Good idea. Hell, in general I always recommend people go to the range and rent a bunch of different guns to determine what they like. I have my preferences, but that doesn't mean what I like is what you necessarily like.

Still, though, California is bullshit. It's amazing my .45ACP 1911 would be illegal in California since I had it built on a double stack frame.

I've been looking at Side by Side 12 gauge coach guns.

I know Stoeger are a bottom tier brand, but they have one that is a dual trigger hammerless form factor with a 20 inch barrel. Their Outback Condor is an over under form factor with only a single trigger. Both are affordable.

There is a shop in town that specializes in Cowboy shooting and will customize any shotgun I could bring in, I just can't bring myself to cutting up a vintage shotgun just to satisfy a coach gun need.

Last edited:

I own both, but I still carry the Shield with tritium irons on it. I just can’t get used to carrying with a red dot. Plus the housing gets filthy; full of dust and shit. I feel like I enjoy shooting the 365 more but it’s not practical imo. I need simple and less bulk for carry.

I own both, but I still carry the Shield with tritium irons on it. I just can’t get used to carrying with a red dot. Plus the housing gets filthy; full of dust and shit. I feel like I enjoy shooting the 365 more but it’s not practical imo. I need simple and less bulk for carry.

The housing getting dirty on open emitter red dots is why I'm waiting for closed dot emitters to get better (also for red dot footprints to standardize since I don't want to get my slide milled for a footprint that isn't gonna be supported a decade from now). I have used red dot pistols before and they do help a great deal, but unlike red dots on rifles which are very mature and standardized now, pistol red dots are still all over the place.

Reactions: HeresJohnny
Aint nothing wrong with a CZ 75, I have a few and love them. My fav is the SP-01. Fantastic shooter, but its too heavy for carry and more of a range toy. IMO if I were to by one handgun it would be the CZ P-10C. Its like the Glock 19's cute cousin. Does everything the Glock does... and a few things she wont.

Seriously, feels better in the hand, easier to shoot well, fits in many Glock 19 holsters (not all though), AND its cheaper! I have one with ~1200 rounds through it and its my favorite polymer striker pistol. Not a single failure! Oh and it shares mags with the CZ P-07.

Their marketing video is great. Very reliable at a good price point.

Very tempted.

• Strength
Reactions: Arkam

lol, I can't relate to this at all given my daily carry is a custom steel frame, double stack 1911 and 52 rounds of 230 gr. .45ACP Winchester Ranger T. Heavy gun and heavy ammo, but with the right gun belt is quite stable and quite comfortable.

lol, I can't relate to this at all given my daily carry is a custom steel frame, double stack 1911 and 52 rounds of 230 gr. .45ACP Winchester Ranger T. Heavy gun and heavy ammo, but with the right gun belt is quite stable and quite comfortable.

Yea it can be done… but I don’t want to. Cops and soldiers carried Beretta 92s all day… I say hard pass. In an era of fantastic polymer striker fired pistols there is no need to deal with the extra weight/size.

But like, getting a nose ring or transitioning, if it floats your boat, more power to you. But it’s a pass from me dawg.

The only time I carry a full size steel pistol is when I am using one of my shoulder holsters… and then I still usually go to P-10C or Glock 19 way more than my 1911.

Yea it can be done… but I don’t want to. Cops and soldiers carried Beretta 92s all day… I say hard pass. In an era of fantastic polymer striker fired pistols there is no need to deal with the extra weight/size.

But like, getting a nose ring or transitioning, if it floats your boat, more power to you. But it’s a pass from me dawg.

The only time I carry a full size steel pistol is when I am using one of my shoulder holsters… and then I still usually go to P-10C or Glock 19 way more than my 1911.

I actually like the extra weight since it also soaks up recoil. While .45ACP obviously has more recoil than 9mm, I'd say for all practical purposes, my setup has the same felt recoil as most people's 9mm since I'm carrying a much heavier gun, particularly a heavier frame. Combined with the capacity of 15+1 .45ACP flush fit and 18+1 extended mags, and I'd say I have the same effective capacity and follow up shots as most people's 9mms, only with a .45ACP that expands much, much larger.

What did I just watch

Pistol rounds suck at taking down threats, which is why you keep shooting until the threat stops.

I do prefer .45ACP since each round does create a larger hole with more bleed, though I also carry a double stack 1911 so I can have as many .45s as I can for guys like this. 15+1 in the gun and two 18+1 mags on backup should be more than plenty. lol

This case requires the Court to assess the protected right of the people under the Second Amendment to the Constitution to keep and bear arms. U.S. Const. amend. II. Plaintiffs Robert Brown ("Brown") and Benjamin Weekley ("Weekley"), individuals, are "law abiding, responsible adult citizens who wish to purchase handguns."…Brown and Weekley are citizens of West Virginia and the United States of America and are between the ages of eighteen and twenty-one. Brown and Weekley, as law-abiding, responsible adult citizens, would purchase handguns and handgun ammunition from Federal Firearms Licensees ("FFLs") but for the right proscribed by 18 U.S.C. §§ 922(b)(1) and (c)(1).
He went on to explain that Brown and Weekley had each tried to buy a handgun but were "refused the sales because they were under twenty-one years of age."

Kleeh noted that the plaintiffs sought summary judgment against the statute while the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF), Attorney General Merrick Garland, and ATF Director Steven Dettelbach sought to have the case dismissed.

He sided with the plaintiffs and quoted extensively from Bruen (2022) to show the manner at which he arrived at his decision.

Here is one of Kleeh's quotes from the Bruen decision:

To justify its regulation, the government may not simply posit that the regulation promotes an important interest…To demonstrate the regulation of that conduct is within the bounds of the Second Amendment, "the government must demonstrate that the regulation is consistent with the Nation's historic tradition of firearm regulation. Only if a firearm regulation is consistent with the Nation's historical tradition may a court conclude that the individual's conduct falls outside the Second Amendment's "unqualified command."

Greetings from Arizona:

If you don't have a lever gun in your collection why not? I have been looking for a pre-70s Marlin in great condition, but I have only been as aggressive in looking for one when I hit the gun shows. I haven't obsessed over it via gunbroker.com or other online offerings. However, I am also interested in a Henry Repeating Arms Lever Action, like the video shows.

I still don't have a revolver and rifle chambered in the same caliber, another thing I need to remedy....some day. In addition to a 45-70.

Greetings from Wisconsin:

Dear god. And I thought my 10 day waiting period in California was over the top.

I come back to this post so you can laugh at some more German insanity.

I already told you about having to register for a gun club, pay fees, only being able to purchase your own guns after one year in a club, having to shoot there at least 12 times per year, shoot less and you can't purchase more guns, when you leave the club you aren't allowed to own weapons anymore etc.

Now the bonus stuff:
- you need to pass a test that includes a two days training session and then an "exam"
- you can only purchase two weapons per quarter
- you need to own a special safe for the weapons that easily costs more than 700 bucks
- full automatic weapons aren't allowed in Germany
- you can buy single shot guns
- for semi automatic guns, including pistols, you need to tell your gun club that you want to purchase one, they get in touch with your local firearm administration which is mostly in the police station. Then you go to the police station, answer questions about how you will store it, what you'll do with it, who's in your household etc. then you pay a fee, and get a document that allows you the purchase of a gun, which is valid for a limited amount of time. During that timeframe, you have to buy one. You need to show it to the seller, he has to check in with the administration to validate the document, can then sell you the gun, signing the document. You then need to again, go to the police station, show the signed document, so they can register the weapon.

It's ridiculous.

• Shocked
Reactions: Arkam