Thread: Do you have any nostalgia for 7th gen console graphics?

teezzy

Let me have my wanks

Platforms
  1. PC
  2. Xbox
  3. PlayStation
  4. Nintendo
I'm not the type of dude who needs to have the latest and greatest thing, not by any stretch of the imagination. Instead, my general preference is to buy something nice and utilize it until it breaks and buy something new.

Simply put: if it ain't broke, dont fix it, etc

With that said, I end up playing a lot of older games. This led to me booting up Fallout 3 today. I've also never actually played Fallout 3 before. With that said, I ran the game vanilla, no mods apart from a couple just to fix some generic Windows 10 compatibility concerns, and I was on my way. Ultra settings, 1440p resolution etc... and y'know what? The game looks fuggin' great. Seriously. I always prefer just playing the OG product with the highest settings rather than resorting to texture packs and the like. My opinion on remasters and remakes generally stands to that conviction.

Here's a screenshot, near the opening of the game, I took early on here in my gameplay:

DjdCiby.jpg

To me, this looks fantastic. Just like when I play KotOR, or Skyrim, I'm immediately immersed into the world through the storytelling tactics these games include. You don't need cutting edge technology for that. Beauty fades, but masterful world-building does not.

This all got me thinking though.... about sorta the whole indie scene where devs are paying tribute to older graphical stylings of games from NES, Genesis, SNES, and even PS1.

You know the type:

screen_07.png

ss_d89eaabcd9296bcbc9804e3063848cbdef808fcc.1920x1080.jpg

This got me thinking. It seems inevitable we'll see games stylized to look like they could've been played on a PS2. But what about an Xbox 360? How about even a PS4? Will this pattern continue?

Is anyone even nostalgic for the typical shades of brown stylings of games from this era, or are they defined enough to warrant such rose-tinted yearnings of the past?

gear-of-war-2-xbox.jpg

It's weird, because to me, these still looks gorgeous. Somewhat dated in the lighting, shadows, and textures... but they're all very aesthetically pleasing to this day. Still, there's a slight nostalgia to it with just how far graphics have come since and I can't help but feel the slightest trickle of nostalgia for when games looked like this. It's been long enough - yes?

How about you? Do you feel nostalgic for this era of gaming? Do you think one day developers will specifically stylize games to look like this?

Sign me up, personally speaking.

I don’t know if it’ll happen for 360/PS3-era games, because they still look so structurally similar to today’s games, if a lot less advanced. Maybe in the future when we’ve gone far beyond that.

The nostalgia effect seems to happen when technology has well and truly left behind an era of visual design, and it stands apart.

I don't think there would be much difference between the artstyles of modern games and 7th gen games. I mean a lot of modern games are just remakes/reskins of 7th gen games anyway. I wonder when Skyrim is coming out for the new Xbox and Playstation?

These games are not old enough to look old school, so they look like uglier modern games instead. Played Shadow Complex recently. That game is sooo ugly.

But I don't hate that gen, these games were fun to play.

The graphics were generally quite bad, they tried to put as many bells and whistles into the game looking good but it often meant that the resolution and framerate were pretty bad. For example Halo 3 has gorgeous vistas and such but the resolution on the 360 was below 720p, it was blocky as all hell. Most games running on Unreal Engine had very low FPS, like Mass Effect for example. Artistically though there were plenty of incredible games on all (or most) console generations, ps360 being no exception. It also gave us some really great remasters of older games like Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Metal Gear Solid collection, Zone of the Enders etc. which aren't on PS4/5.

• Brain
Reactions: teezzy
7th gen was the era of the 'gritty' colour pallette and the piss filter.

There's plenty of great looking games from back then, but far too many were vandalised by a retarded belief that having no colours and making everything either too dark or near totally washed out was an improvement somehow.

Arguably the best thing about 8th gen was that everyone suddenly remembered colours other than grey and brown existed.

Reactions: Nicktendo
I really don't. I feel like a lot of the artistic choices of the time were misguided and have aged really poorly. There was way too much emphasis on edgy, gritty "realism" at a time where the graphics hardware struggled to output those visuals. These games would have aged better if the artists would have practiced a little more restraint with effects and been a little more liberal with their color usage. Unfortunately, we largely lived through the days of endless browns and grays and poorly aged realism.

Reactions: Arc
Gen 7 (or Gen 3 as it was referred to internally at EA) will always be nostalgic for me. It was the (likely) only generation where I was directly (and professionally) working on games (almost) the entire gen. My first couple games were on PS2/XBX. but then onward, for the next dozen were all 360/PS3 (and some Wii support). I use to know TCR/TRCs for both like the back of my hand. I lived and breathed that generation. So it will always be special to me. Since then I have not worked (directly) on any console games, only PC, Mobile and platform services. But I look at my office wall with all the awards and launch plaques and I smile about what a wild and crazy trip that was.

But as a PLAYER, Gen7 will be the generation of UE3, Shaved heads and brown/dark color pallets. But it was also the gen were console players truly became members of the online community. Xbox Live was a magical at the time and really pushed Sony to up their game. Games like COD brought (quasi) competitive FPS to the masses and games like Skyrim did the same for WRPGs. Like others have said, I think this gen was when we really hit the 3d gaming design highpoint. Prior gen was getting there, but had too many limitations and thus feel simple/barren in comparison. From Gen7 -> Gen 9 its feels more like a couple layers of polish.

This gen will also have a special place in history as the most error prone hardware generation... thanks Microsoft. The RRoD was very real and just about everyone eventually felt it. I personally went through three Xboxs ... at home. Cannot count how many test & dev kits that we lost over the years. With any luck, something that bad and widespread never happens again.

What’s a real shame about the brown filter thing, is how amazing colorful games looked in HD back then, when we rarely got them. Somewhere, there’s an alternate reality of gorgeous 360/PS3 generation stuff that weren’t afraid to do a little color or fantasy.

You can see it in Bioshock, Uncharted, and several others, how amazing that hypothetical generation would have looked. Instead, everyone seemed to go with this... Gears of War (?) inspired direction.

Generation 7 is too new to be nostalgic about. It also feels like this is when everything got powerful enough to have good 3d graphics. For sure generation 8 and now 9 have even better graphics but it is more of an incremental change versus the revolutionary changes between 5 and 6(2d to 3d) and between 6 and 7(3d to good 3d and large open worlds).

Much bigger change and what I regret is lost now is the experiements that developers did during generation 5 and 6. You had games like ICO or ShadowOfTheColossus. You had a LOT of different and sometimes unique and weird games then.
From generation 7 and forward it feels like a lot of these experiments just don;t happen anymore. I guess it became too expensive to take huge gambles with a new weird/different idea.

A lot of generation 7 games don't feel retro or nostalgic. They are just smaller and with lesser graphics than modern games. That is all. Smaller and poorer graphics.

Reactions: HariSeldon and Arc
I really enjoyed the 360 generation. Some of th best games I played in a long time. Reminded me the PS2 era for how many games I played.

I can still appreciate the artistic vision of some of the games, and I still have a PS3 and 360 hooked up and just recently completed another run through Resistance: FoM. Some of the games have aged poorly, but that's not uncommon. I think Gen 7 may have some of the best content of any generation.

Cel shading and retard-simple art style came into its own during 7th gen, so it balances out. If you liked anime it was the first gen that really nailed that particular look, in no small part due to Bandai Namco churning out game after game after game. Also Guilty Gear Xrd (technically the end of the gen) brought it together.

Dw4pCHs.jpg

xlj4NqM.jpg

Ha5TZ8V.jpg

iM8VMZU.jpg

A8iHH3X.jpg

I78y3N4.jpg

ApbrUxL.jpg

BZQEbXR.jpg

Last edited:
Cel shading and retard-simple art style came into its own during 7th gen, so it balances out. If you liked anime it was the first gen that really nailed that particular look, in no small part due to Bandai Namco churning out game after game after game. Also Guilty Gear Xrd (technically the end of the gen) brought it together.

Dw4pCHs.jpg

xlj4NqM.jpg

Ha5TZ8V.jpg

iM8VMZU.jpg

A8iHH3X.jpg
All of those still look amazing to me.

The graphics were generally quite bad, they tried to put as many bells and whistles into the game looking good but it often meant that the resolution and framerate were pretty bad. For example Halo 3 has gorgeous vistas and such but the resolution on the 360 was below 720p, it was blocky as all hell. Most games running on Unreal Engine had very low FPS, like Mass Effect for example. Artistically though there were plenty of incredible games on all (or most) console generations, ps360 being no exception. It also gave us some really great remasters of older games like Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, Metal Gear Solid collection, Zone of the Enders etc. which aren't on PS4/5.
The best console for playing 7th generation games is a PC. I hold fast to that, then and now.

Framerates were atrocious, image quality low, resolution rarely ever hit 720p while being advertised as HD... as time wore on in that generation, I didn’t find the 360 or PS3 to put on a particularly admirable performance with multiplats.

There were some games that ran awesomely on console, but way too many that didn’t.

Reactions: Grinchy and HE1NZ
I feel like the PS1 generation was the ugly start to 3D gaming, and then the PS2 generation was more capable of mastering it. In a similar way, the PS3 generation was kind of the ugly start to HD gaming, with the next generations moving on to be more capable of mastering it.

So I do think that a day might come when I feel nostalgic about the ugly start the same way that I am nostalgic about PS1/N64. It just hasn't happened yet.

Reactions: Zefah
I feel like the PS1 generation was the ugly start to 3D gaming, and then the PS2 generation was more capable of mastering it. In a similar way, the PS3 generation was kind of the ugly start to HD gaming, with the next generations moving on to be more capable of mastering it.

Agreed. Felt like it was trying to do too much at once. Huge bump in resolution while also incorporating all sorts of new graphics tech like normal maps and complex shaders, etc.

• Cheers
Reactions: Grinchy
The best console for playing 7th generation games is a PC. I hold fast to that, then and now.

Framerates were atrocious, image quality low, resolution rarely ever hit 720p while being advertised as HD... as time wore on in that generation, I didn’t find the 360 or PS3 to put on a particularly admirable performance with multiplats.

There were some games that ran awesomely on console, but way too many that didn’t.

The best platform for playing anything is a PC

The best platform for playing anything is a PC
Sure, but 7th gen made me feel like it was the only choice. Even as a dedicated console person, I was saying to myself in that generation, ‘Should I buy a gaming PC?’

• Cheers
Reactions: teezzy
I like the visuals during that generation, I think they hold up just fine in most situations. Gameplay is largely the same as what PS4/PS5 offers.

I'm nostalgic for that era cause of the experience but not necessarily the visuals cause they still look modern in lots of cases.

Reactions: ProgenitorCastle
Zero nostalgia for that gen's visuals. Maybe enough time hasn't passed? Your average 360 game looks like your typical Switch port, so they still appear modern'ish by today's standards. :p

I think I'm gonna come at this from a different direction . While I can't see myself getting all nostalgic over the look of the graphics from that generation. I do think that the 360 and PS3 finally delivered systems where game design wasn't limited by the graphics. Sure they might not have been the prettiest of environments and certainly not the smoothest, but developers could create any worlds they could imagine.

Creators seemed excited to try new things with focus on design over polish. It was just so much more exciting owninf those systems compared to the generations that followed and the graphical leave the two systems brought had everything to do with it

Reactions: Sejan
I never cared about graphics. GTA 3 is my fav. I think final fantasy was better as sprites. And quake 1 was amazing along with quake team fortress.
These games were all good. But the first time I saw KnightLore. That was impactful.

EDIT: Again. I have near zero nostalgia for 7-gen. 7-gen is just a lower res, smaller map version of 9-gen.
Gen-6 that was a revolution. Gen-5 was a revolution. Gen-7 not so much different from today.

To be fair, I would be happy with a lot of upscaled PS2 stuff with the same number of polygons and whanot, I know we're talking 7th gen here, but I think every generation has charming games and ugly-ass duds.

@teezzy what did you do to get Fallout 3 running?

I cannot get the damn thing working on my PC to save my life. I’ve tried every compatibility setting I could but it always seems to come down to being a problem with Games for Windows Live.

@teezzy what did you do to get Fallout 3 running?

I cannot get the damn thing working on my PC to save my life. I’ve tried every compatibility setting I could but it always seems to come down to being a problem with Games for Windows Live.

• If you haven't done so already, run Fallout 3 at least once. Once you get to the title screen, exit the game.
  • Open your Documents folder (My Documents in Windows XP), and inside, look for a folder called My Games. Inside should be a folder called Fallout3. Open this.
  • In this folder, open the file FALLOUT.ini with Notepad. Make sure the file is not read-only.
  • In the configuration file, search for the header called [General]. It will be at the very top of the file.
  • Go to the bottom of the [General] section, just before the [Display] header. The last line of the section should be sLanguage=ENGLISH, or whatever your language is.
  • Below this line, copy and paste the following two lines:

bUseThreadedAI=1
    iNumHWThreads=2

• Save your changes.
Just FYI for me at least one of those lines already existed so I just changed the number but if you don't see them add them. For Fallout New Vegas this will get reverted EVERY TIME YOU LAUNCH unless you download something to subvert the game's launcher, luckily with Fallout 3 it should stay this way but make the file read-only again after just in case.

• If you haven't done so already, run Fallout 3 at least once. Once you get to the title screen, exit the game.
  • Open your Documents folder (My Documents in Windows XP), and inside, look for a folder called My Games. Inside should be a folder called Fallout3. Open this.
  • In this folder, open the file FALLOUT.ini with Notepad. Make sure the file is not read-only.
  • In the configuration file, search for the header called [General]. It will be at the very top of the file.
  • Go to the bottom of the [General] section, just before the [Display] header. The last line of the section should be sLanguage=ENGLISH, or whatever your language is.
  • Below this line, copy and paste the following two lines:

bUseThreadedAI=1
    iNumHWThreads=2

• Save your changes.
Just FYI for me at least one of those lines already existed so I just changed the number but if you don't see them add them. For Fallout New Vegas this will get reverted EVERY TIME YOU LAUNCH unless you download something to subvert the game's launcher, luckily with Fallout 3 it should stay this way but make the file read-only again after just in case.
I can’t get Fallout 3 to run even once :/ and I already watched the video @teezzy shared.

Fallout New Vegas runs just fine for me. It’s just FO3 :(

• Shocked
Reactions: Explosive Zombie