teezzy

Let me have my wanks

Platforms
  1. PC
  2. Xbox
  3. PlayStation
  4. Nintendo
Do you believe in the concept of a "true self" ? šŸ§ 

Human beings are evanescent. We evolve and change as we age. We mature as we grow wiser. Hopefully for the better.

savingprivateryan-ww2.gif

Surely you're not the same now as you were when you were six years old, or sixteen years old. Hopefully the same can be said for yourself a decade from now and beyond.

The person you are when alone is different from who you are around your friends, at work, or around your family and/or significant other. Maybe all these are your true self, just fragments of who that person is.

2c3c0290-4cfd-457b-964b-240eaee6ebed_text.gif

Are you who others see you as? Is that what defines you? How about how you see yourself? Perhaps your true self is defined by what others bring out of you.

Or maybe, just maybe, the way you present yourself on D-Pad, in full anonymity, is who you truly are.

peepoThink.png

I think people stay the same at the core. Opinions and beliefs changes as the years go by, but who you are will always be the same imo.

I think a lot of people never realize their full potential and blossom as a complete and whole being due to many environmental and social reasons, but that's a different discussion.

Yeah, I think everyone is born with a core unchangeable nature that dictates many aspects of their being and informs how they react. With that said, I believe the course they take in life and how their personality and habits ultimately develop still largely depends on their environment and circumstances.

I believe their is one true self and our mission in life is to find that person. Itā€™s rarely accomplished as it takes years and years of self reflection/study.

Only truly wise people achieve their true self. Everyone wears masks and most change is just putting on a different one. True change at the most fundamental level rarely happens.

• Brain
Reactions: teezzy
Our true self is God.

Disclaimer: Not a Christian, and am in fact pretty much anti-religion. I am pro wisdom though.

• Brain
Someone called me a lonely wealthy lottery-winning-homosexual-skinhead with bone marrow cancer, HIV and alcoholism once. Felt true self.

• Triggered
I do believe in there being who you are and who you portray yourself to be in front of others. For some people, there's a massive gulf between the two. The more honest someone is, the smaller the gulf is.

It's probably why I can't stand petty manipulators. They think they are clever but in reality anyone can spend all their time pretending to feel a certain way to get what they want out of others. The only thing stopping someone from doing that isn't their lack of ability to do it, but their moral compass and how true they are to themselves.

I believe in energy / frequency, and there are certain harmonies that seem to be more prominent in certain "spaces". If you want to call that a "self", I suppose you can do that. All things are relative and depend on context / perspective though. At the deepest level, I believe all is One, however. The personal self is an idea, belonging exclusively to the mind. And we have compelling evidence of this in common experience. When we are in deepest sleep, or when the mind is in abeyance in other states, the "self" vanishes. With the return of thought, comes the return of the "person". The self is in the mind / thought, and those thoughts can be somewhat persistent over the course of a life, at least in terms of the sense of "I", even if the definitions of that entity are changing subtly or dramatically. The mind holds onto this idea of an unchanging being, despite all evidences to the contrary that point to being as a process, a continuous unfolding, rather than any sort of static entity.

Yes.

If I weren't fat, I could be a modern Hitler, except with good goal for the world. Being fat keeps me down and in the shadows, however.

• Really?