Thread: Celeste developer Extremely OK Games announces ‘2D explor-action game’ Earthblade

Mista

Fox Hound

Platforms
  1. PC
  2. PlayStation
  3. Nintendo
Earthblade_04-19-21.jpg

Celeste developer Extremely OK Games has announced Earthblade, a “2D explor-action game in a seamless pixel art world” due out in “20XX.”

“It took us four prototypes to find Earthblade, and it’s now been over three years since Celeste‘s initial release,” said Extremely OK Games’ Maddy Thorson in a blog post.

I love Celeste and it's one of the few games I've platinumed. The gameplay, the difficulty curve, the music and the story were all expertly well done. I'm on board for this day one. In the meantime I should probably play Tower fall while we wait, I'll have to keep an eye out for the next time it's on sale.

• Cheers
Reactions: Arc and Mista
I love Celeste and it's one of the few games I've platinumed. The gameplay, the difficulty curve, the music and the story were all expertly well done. I'm on board for this day one. In the meantime I should probably play Tower fall while we wait, I'll have to keep an eye out for the next time it's on sale.
Damn you a beast. I stopped at the hardest of challenges after endgame.

I love Celeste, it‘s easily one of the best platformers of the past decade. The OST & difficulty curve are great too, as you said.

The story is the biggest load of wank I’ve ever had to sit through in a game though. Embarrassing is exactly the right word. You just know the writer was smugly jacking it so hard when he thought “omg climbing a mountain will be sooooo deep and profound for this story about depression and anxiety and mental health and check box number 4, 5 and 6 for Kotaku and Polygon to like me.”

Celeste is the best argument I’ve ever seen for defeat Bowser, rescue Peach, rinse and repeat.

I love Celeste, it‘s easily one of the best platformers of the past decade. The OST & difficulty curve are great too, as you said.

The story is the biggest load of wank I’ve ever had to sit through in a game though. Embarrassing is exactly the right word. You just know the writer was smugly jacking it so hard when he thought “omg climbing a mountain will be sooooo deep and profound for this story about depression and anxiety and mental health and check box number 4, 5 and 6 for Kotaku and Polygon to like me.”

Celeste is the best argument I’ve ever seen for defeat Bowser, rescue Peach, rinse and repeat.

Honestly aside from the DLC I don't think they went too hard on it. Sure the undertones are there, and undoubtedly they sniffed their own farts while writing it, but I think they showed a decent amount of restraint in terms of storytelling in the original game. They could have went way harder on the "omg so depressed life is hard and somedayz I struggle with loving myself :(" but I don't think they ever really veered into that territory. I feel like depression is more alluded to rather than flat out stated. Then again I could be wrong as I never really pay attention to stories, but I don't remember rolling my eyes at anything being over the top.

Reactions: Nicktendo
"Extremely OK"

Off topic, but that studio name annoys the hell out of me. I'm so sick of sarcastic/goofy nerd humor.
Agreed. It was funny, but it’s becoming so dated... and the sign of a typical kind of a person that spends a lot of time on Le Epic Reddit.

Reactions: Zefah