Thread: Bone conduction headphones are life changing
Bone-conduction headphones take advantage of the fact that sound is simply vibrations and direct those into the bones in your head.

These headphones use plates that sit against the cheekbones to deliver sound vibrations through the jaw and skull bone directly into the cochlea. They leave the ear canal open, which allows outside sound to still get in.

What the fuck

Last edited:
So, I bought the Air by Aftershokz which are some quality bone conduction headphones and oh my god are they life changing. The sound is crystal clear and they don’t harm your eardrums like ear buds or over ear headphones. I highly recommend anyone interested in not damaging their ears to check out this tech.
As someone suffering from severe tinnitus on his right ear, I immediately checked these headphones and unfortunately you're wrong, they still can hurt your eardrums if you turn up the volume too much. I would have loved if it weren't the case. Haven't used headphones ever since I went to the ear doctor last year and he told me there's nothing he can do about my tinnitus; not risking any worsening :/

• Triggered
Reactions: Dr. Farnsgoth
As someone suffering from severe tinnitus on his right ear, I immediately checked these headphones and unfortunately you're wrong, they still can hurt your eardrums if you turn up the volume too much. I would have loved if it weren't the case. Haven't used headphones ever since I went to the ear doctor last year and he told me there's nothing he can do about my tinnitus; not risking any worsening :/
I have an inner ear disorder that makes me periodically dizzy and subsequently nauseous. I can say that at mid volume that sound is perfect and not damaging to your ear drums. I tried it at max volume just to see what it was like and did not like it because it was vibrating my face and was just overall uncomfortable.

Oh, and I know someone who had severe tinnitus and they got rid of it completely when they cut out gluten from their diet. Have you tried doing that? After about a month of absolutely no gluten their tinnitus went away.

Oh, and I know someone who had severe tinnitus and they got rid of it completely when they cut out gluten from their diet. Have you tried doing that? After about a month of absolutely no gluten their tinnitus went away.
Cutting out gluten? But then I would lose weight!!1 *is severely overweight*

Oh ... :unsure:

(I'm actually hoping that with continued weightloss, the tinnitus will lessen. That's one of the many problems with being obese: Doctors won't even think about other causes, because they see you're fat and go "yeah, that's it". Mind them, maybe they're right, which is why I'm on a diet.)

• Brain
  • Strength
Reactions: Yawnson and Kadayi
Cutting out gluten? But then I would lose weight!!1 *is severely overweight*

Oh ... :unsure:

(I'm actually hoping that with continued weightloss, the tinnitus will lessen. That's one of the many problems with being obese: Doctors won't even think about other causes, because they see you're fat and go "yeah, that's it". Mind them, maybe they're right, which is why I'm on a diet.)
I highly recommend trying it out for 3 months minimum. I read a book a while back that said that truly three months is a good amount of time to see whether or not the new diet will help because it gives your body plenty of time to recover. My buddies dad lost the tinnitus after a month, so he kept on without the gluten and just felt better overall. I've cut out gluten too (also almost all cards, I can't even enjoy chinese food anymore) and I swear I have more energy now than I have ever had. My diet consists of meat, high fat, with little vegetables.

I highly recommend trying it out for 3 months minimum. I read a book a while back that said that truly three months is a good amount of time to see whether or not the new diet will help because it gives your body plenty of time to recover. My buddies dad lost the tinnitus after a month, so he kept on without the gluten and just felt better overall. I've cut out gluten too (also almost all cards, I can't even enjoy chinese food anymore) and I swear I have more energy now than I have ever had. My diet consists of meat, high fat, with little vegetables.
Ok, I just googled a bit and there's plenty of reports of tinnitus decreasing after some time of being gluten-free. I also looked up what gluten-free food is and tbh that's not so bad and perfect for losing weight, too. It's basically low carb, except potatoes and rice are okay, too.

Since I wanted to up my eating discipline anyway, I think I will give this a try. Gluten-free eating for the next 3 months. Well, after E3, I just bought my E3 snacks yesterday xD

thx, Juice, whether this works or not, it gave me some hope to decrease my tinnitus and motivation for continued weight loss :) Sorry for derailing the thread kinda.

I've never even heard of this shit before but I'm really interested to try them out. Do people around you hear what you're listening to more than regular headphones/earbuds?
My wife said at the volume that I listen to music at she doesn't hear anything at all. I would say I listen to music at about 60-70% volume.
Ok, I just googled a bit and there's plenty of reports of tinnitus decreasing after some time of being gluten-free. I also looked up what gluten-free food is and tbh that's not so bad and perfect for losing weight, too. It's basically low carb, except potatoes and rice are okay, too.

Since I wanted to up my eating discipline anyway, I think I will give this a try. Gluten-free eating for the next 3 months. Well, after E3, I just bought my E3 snacks yesterday xD

thx, Juice, whether this works or not, it gave me some hope to decrease my tinnitus and motivation for continued weight loss :) Sorry for derailing the thread kinda.
I highly recommend you read the books Grain Brain and Wheat Belly. The former is written by a MD who has received some ridicule over his comments on fecal transplants (which have since been proven true, but that doesn't stop people from shitting on him (pun intended) anyway) but otherwise both books cite all their sources which is easily accessible to anyone who wants to read the material themselves. I prefer that over reading some fake news article saying these people are nutjobs for saying gluten bad and then don't even cite their sources other than "experts say" or have some hack "expert" comment on it. Read the books and decide for yourself. :)

Edit: oh and as you saw, people are starting to catch on that the author of Grain Brain is right. Hence why you're finding more and more articles about what he has researched in the book.

Reactions: Grinchy
Huh, interesting. Watched a few videos, read a couple reviews, and I decided to buy a pair and try them out, since earbuds have never really been comfortable for me and over-ear isn't feasible in a lot of situations. Also, water-resistant and has a built-in mic? Yes, pls.

I opted for the Aeropex model (currently out of stock, so who knows when they'll be back in):

Huh, interesting. Watched a few videos, read a couple reviews, and I decided to buy a pair and try them out, since earbuds have never really been comfortable for me and over-ear isn't feasible in a lot of situations. Also, water-resistant and has a built-in mic? Yes, pls.

I opted for the Aeropex model (currently out of stock, so who knows when they'll be back in):

BestBuy has them. I saw that model in stock at my store. They’re on sale cheaper than Amazon. My pair (Air) cost me $90

BestBuy has them. I saw that model in stock at my store. They’re on sale cheaper than Amazon. My pair (Air) cost me $90
Price appears to be the same for the Aeropex, which is around $130. May grab from BB if it looks like the wait is longer than a few days. I'm feeling patient, tho. Lol

Edit: Looks like they'll be here between the 15th - 22nd.

Last edited:
Just ordered a pair based on your review here.

They should arrive tomorrow.
Let us know what you think! It’s not for everyone, most people like over the ear because they want to drown out the noise (such as harpies in the office) but if you’re just wanting to enjoy music while also being able to hear what’s around you - they’re perfect. I can be listening to an audiobook and in a meeting at the same time - none would be the wiser.

What the fuck

It's this:

10 Ridiculous Video Game Puzzles Everyone Cheated For – Page 6

I heard they are good but you have to be careful if you're running in windy areas or noisy areas, as it may seem the volume is not high enough and you may be tempted to put them at max volume which can lead to harm, supposedly.

• Brain
Reactions: Dr. Farnsgoth
I heard they are good but you have to be careful if you're running in windy areas or noisy areas, as it may seem the volume is not high enough and you may be tempted to put them at max volume which can lead to harm, supposedly.
This is true for any type of headphones, really, but I agree that this is a con for this style of headphones. Because it bypasses your ear in such a way where you're still able to hear what is around you, if whatever around you is louder than what you're listening to it might make the sound appear quieter than it really is. These are really good for wearing while working out, or on a plane/train or on a car trip so long as the windows aren't down and the AC isn't on full blast. I have a window AC running constantly behind me in my office and although it's running "Low Cool" I can hear music just fine. I think that is partly due to the distance from the loudness of the unit and having the volume at a sufficient level (about 60%). I tried it higher and it was vibrating my ear, which tickles a bit and is kind of distracting haha. 60% seems to get me longer battery life too - I think I've got about 14 hours on this charge and I'm only half-way despite the claiming you get 6 hours. I think they measure it at full volume, which I feel is too loud anyway.

OK, just got mine and used them for a few minutes. They are awesome!
I'm glad you like them! They're different and it takes a little to get used to, but honestly, I can't seem to take them off since I can listen to music and talk to people without them knowing I'm listening to anything. :D

• Brain
Reactions: XOR and Ornlu
Damn you MF'ers for making me want to spend some money on some sweet tech headphones.

@JuiceboxHero , I had never heard of this shit before; now I've read like 3 articles about them and have been price checking. Thanks for starting the thread. I know damn well I'm gonna end up buying some, but got too many home improvement projects going to justify dropping $100 on some headphones. :ROFLMAO:

Damn you MF'ers for making me want to spend some money on some sweet tech headphones.

@JuiceboxHero , I had never heard of this shit before; now I've read like 3 articles about them and have been price checking. Thanks for starting the thread. I know damn well I'm gonna end up buying some, but got too many home improvement projects going to justify dropping $100 on some headphones. :ROFLMAO:
Just think if you got them you could be looking slick while listening to music and working on your home projects.

• Brain
Reactions: slugbahr
Bone conduction?! It looks like something that deaf people would wear...

Website_POP_Lifestyle_SlateGrey_600x.jpg
It uses some of the same technology/research if I understand correctly. It really is better for your hears as it significantly reduces the damage loud sounds from some songs could do to your ears. Bit more cushion for the waves to travel through before you're able to hear it.

• Brain
Reactions: GymWolf
Reviews really make these things seem gimmicky. My roommate has the newer Oculus and it uses this kinda technology too. It sounds clear and alright but maybe I am spoiled by only using audiophile grade stuff for sometime.

Reviews really make these things seem gimmicky. My roommate has the newer Oculus and it uses this kinda technology too. It sounds clear and alright but maybe I am spoiled by only using audiophile grade stuff for sometime.
I mean, I think they're gimmicky in that they have certain use cases they're geared towards. Like, you want to work/play and listen to music while maintaining awareness of what's going on around you or, for whatever reason, over/in-ear headphones aren't your thing. If you're wanting top of the line audio quality while chilling on your couch at home, then these likely aren't what you want. What sorts of impressions are you getting from reviews?

Got my Aftershokz Aeropex this afternoon and, wow, they're actually pretty great! Not as good as conventional headphones/buds when it comes to volume or bass, but the sound quality is still really good. Also, they are surprisingly comfortable to wear. I imagine, if I want to get high and chill listening to music or get immersed in a game/movie, I'll likely still use my normal headphones, but for everything else (most games, voice chat, watching tv and videos, music while exercising or cleaning house, outdoor activities, etc.), these are what I will for-sure be using.

Edit: After using them for about 3hrs now, I'm still a big fan. The only downside, aside from the low bass, is that there is only so far you can turn up the volume before you get a vibrating sensation (starts at a tingle, but can get pretty strong if you try and blast it lol) on the sides of your face. It's not bad, but don't expect to really crank up the volume with these things.

Last edited:
This. Is this safe long term? Sounds totes cool, but I'd be concerned about long term effects of something conducting my bones.
They’ve been doing studies on the technology for decades, and they use it in cochlear implants so… pretty safe if you ask me.