Thread: Black Adam - First Look Trailer (DC FanDome 2021)

Vyse

the Bounty King
Platforms
  1. PC

Dwayne Johnson stars as the titular antihero in this DC Comics epic that introduces the Justice Society to the big screen. The cast includes Aldis Hodge as Hawkman, Pierce Brosnan as Doctor Fate, Noah Centineo as Atom Smasher, Quintessa Swindell as Cyclone, and Sarah Shahi as Adrianna Tomaz, as well as Marwan Kenzari, James Cusati-Moyer, and Bodhi Sabongui. The New Line/DC Film is directed by Jaume Collet-Serra.

I know Dwayne has been wanting to play this role for years and he even coproduced Shazam! to help make it a reality.

But honestly? I just don't care. I'm kind of burnt out on superheroes and Black Adam as a character has never appealed to me.

This looks good. I wanna watch it.

But black hawkman?
Hawkman's backstory usually involves reincarnation. It's one character for whom you can legitimately have anyone play the role, although that obviously doesn't guarantee they cast the guy on merit rather than due to bigotry.

• This tbh
Reactions: ManofTwo
Hawkman's backstory usually involves reincarnation. It's one character for whom you can legitimately have anyone play the role, although that obviously doesn't guarantee they cast the guy on merit rather than due to bigotry.

No problem with a black hawkman but the choice is gonna be marred as you rightfully put it. Another quota than merit casting. Either or Rock looks good for this role.

And PB as Dr Fate is a good choice.

• 100%
Reactions: Stilton Disco
'Black Adam' Was Originally Rated R by MPAA

While the producers’ commitment to the source material is commendable, it almost cost Black Adam the PG-13 rating. As Flynn tells us, it took “four rounds [with the MPAA], and [the movie] just got the PG-13, I think, maybe four or five weeks ago.” That’s the very definition of a close call. But the producers and Johnson didn't want to compromise what makes the antihero so interesting. As Flynn says, “It was an obligation that we had to the fans.”

But what did get lost while Flynn, Garcia, and Johnson tried to negotiate with the MPAA? According to the producers, Black Adam had almost twice the number of scenes where Johnson kills an enemy with extreme violence. Flynn revealed:

“We did have to make a lot of edits, actually. There are some personal moments that we really love, but we had to let them go. But we never compromised, we never had to cut a scene. We had some really cool moments, and if you notice, there are some great moments when Black Adam is in the fly bike chase sequence and drops one of the intergang soldiers. Then there's this great moment where the truck bounces over the body. But those are moments that you need and remember in these movies, you know what I mean? You can't play it safe, and you have to go for it. And I think we have four or five of those. At one point we had about ten, and we were able to find some compromise with the MPAA on that.”

And if it was called White Adam it would have made a Bazillion dollars. Fooking RAYCISTs

I didn't think it was terrible, but I'm also glad I didn't pay to see it in the theater.

One of the biggest issues I had with the movie was the lack of backstory for Hawkman and Dr. Fate. They were just sort of there, despite clearly being established superheroes in the universe.

I barely paid attention and half watched it, but no one had any charisma. The fat brother was probably the best character. Kid was annoying and chick was hot but uninteresting. Even the Rock was uncharismatic with his monotone brooding acting.