3liteDragon

Roving Reporter
Starfield is going to be a very big and long game, which should come as no surprise to those that have played Bethesda Game Studios' previous games in The Elder Scrolls and Fallout franchises. How big and how long, Bethesda isn't quite saying, but during a recent interview, Bethesda Game Studios and Starfield director Todd Howard confirm the game is "very big" and designed to be played for a "long time." However, it also doesn't sounds like it's going to be anything above and beyond what the studio has done in the past, at least in this regard.

“I don’t want to set any crazy expectations for that. You know, we have cities and we build them like we built the cities we’ve built before," said Howard when asked about the game's approach on cities. "And we have lots of locations that we’re building like we’ve built before. And we want that experience of you exploring those to be, you know, as rewarding as we’ve done before. There are some different spins on that given the subject matter, but we like that about games. We want to point in a direction and walk and have our curiosity be piqued, and hopefully rewarded.”

Howard continued, noting the game will be "very big." "People are still playing Skyrim and we have learned from that. We spent more time building Starfield to be played for a long time, if you so chose that you just wanted to keep playing it. It’s got some more hooks in it for that, that we added later to a game like Skyrim… while still making sure that somebody who just wants to play it, and go through the main quests and ‘win’, or feel they’ve accomplished something large is doable." Unfortunately, this is where the insight ends. Right now, there's no total hour count or details on map size. That said, it sounds comparable to Skyrim, which takes 30-40 hours to mainline, 100-110 hours to beat with side content, and 231 hours to 100 percent. In other words, it's going to be big and long, just like Howard says it is.

Starfield is set to release on November 11, 2022 via the Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, and PC. For more coverage on all things Starfield, click here.

Kadayi

Probable Replicant

Platforms
  1. PC
I'm a little wary of Howard throwing around the word 'City' esp in the context of previous titles, given it would be generous to class most settlements in either Fallout or Skyrim as anything remotely approaching Cities in the modern sense of the word.

Allnamestakenlol

Alltagstakenlol
Platforms
  1. PC
I hope to God they got better writers this go 'round.
I'm a little wary of Howard throwing around the word 'City' esp in the context of previous titles, given it would be generous to class most settlements in either Fallout or Skyrim as anything remotely approaching Cities in the modern sense of the word.
Ugh, tell me about it. Characters and lore go on and on about these 'cities' (oooh, so big, so grand!), and then you finally get to one and find they have population of, like, 50 people. Fucking LoL.

Kadayi

Probable Replicant

Platforms
  1. PC
I hope to God they got better writers this go 'round.

Ugh, tell me about it. Characters and lore go on and on about these 'cities' (oooh, so big, so grand!), and then you finally get to one and find they have population of, like, 50 people. Fucking LoL.

Yeah. I think we all accept that no matter the fidelity of a game we're buying into a degree of fiction when it comes to scale. Neither Los Santos or even Night City are quite as substantive compared to a real City as one might think, but the games developers did a good job in creating some environmental diversity in order to provide some character to various zones to counter balance the lack of scale, but short of Starfield being a 500GB download , I'm not expecting the human settlements to live up Todd's promises here, least of all given that we are talking about a lot of different biomes by all accounts. He's be smarter to talk about Colonies and settlements and temper expectations.

• 100%
Reactions: Allnamestakenlol

WesternBlood

Long Member
Platforms
  1. Xbox
  2. PlayStation
Howard-dont-belived-his-lies.jpg

Arkam

I'm the Captain Now

I am a bit curious how they will handle the space component. As in will it be a like Windwaker in that planets are like islands that you can travel between with limited or "hidden" interactions/items/mobs/etc between. Or will it be more like Mass Effect where you just "warp" from one planet to the next. And in either scenario will we be visiting planets? or will we be visiting Cities (on planets ala ME)? I am currently playing R&C and it uses the warp and "city" model and it works great for that type of game. But a sprawling open world RPG from Bethesda? Seems unnatural coming from the ES series.

WesternBlood

Long Member
Platforms
  1. Xbox
  2. PlayStation
To be fair, I want Bethesda to succeed with this game, but the engine they revamp and iterate on with each release doesn't hold much promise based on their track record.

Reactions: Allnamestakenlol

Kadayi

Probable Replicant

Platforms
  1. PC
I am a bit curious how they will handle the space component. As in will it be a like Windwaker in that planets are like islands that you can travel between with limited or "hidden" interactions/items/mobs/etc between. Or will it be more like Mass Effect where you just "warp" from one planet to the next. And in either scenario will we be visiting planets? or will we be visiting Cities (on planets ala ME)? I am currently playing R&C and it uses the warp and "city" model and it works great for that type of game. But a sprawling open world RPG from Bethesda? Seems unnatural coming from the ES series.

I'd be real surprised if the space stuff is anything more than Mass Effect style tbh. I'm not envisaging much in the way of free flying when in system either such as you'd find in NMS because by on large you're going to be dealing with a few colonies/settlements dotted around.

Grinchy

Permission to suckle

I'm gonna laugh my ass off when the PC version is capped at 60fps, needs mods or ini editing to uncap it, and also breaks the game's animation or other systems if you do. It wouldn't surprise me with the same busted ass engine still being used.

• Funny
Reactions: regawdless

JuiceboxHero

Platforms
  1. PC
  2. Xbox
  3. Nintendo
I'm gonna laugh my ass off when the PC version is capped at 60fps, needs mods or ini editing to uncap it, and also breaks the game's animation or other systems if you do. It wouldn't surprise me with the same busted ass engine still being used.
Bruh. It’s Creation Engine 2, completely revamped. But it’s Todd Howard so chances are they upped the visuals and it’s entirely 64-bit but it has all the same bugs for every game release since Morrowind.

Grinchy

Permission to suckle

Bruh. It’s Creation Engine 2, completely revamped. But it’s Todd Howard so chances are they upped the visuals and it’s entirely 64-bit but it has all the same bugs for every game release since Morrowind.
lol yeah we will see. I want it to be great, but I stopped believing Todd's lies long ago.

Didn't they peddle the "we totally revamped the engine" even for Fallout 4? And then Fallout 76 was going to have "16 times the detail."

regawdless

hare-assment

Platforms
  1. PC
I don't really care about the size of a world or the length of a game, as long as it's filled with interesting content - which bigger games often aren't.

• 100%
Reactions: Dreamlord

Hostile_18

Face/Off

Platforms
  1. PC
I don't really care about the size of a world or the length of a game, as long as it's filled with interesting content - which bigger games often aren't.

Yeah I understand why they mention it as its a great selling point, but experienced gamers know the score.

I remember when Mass Effect 1 came out and it was all "Explore the galaxy" when in actual fact it was maybe 4 planets off the citadel (locations) that wernt copy and paste.

Space is especially worse for it. Check out our big empty space 😝

I think the final game will be fine though. "Skyrim is space", hopefully like "Skyrim during the apocalypse" games 😉.

Sejan

Platforms
  1. PlayStation
  2. Nintendo
Does bigger mean buggier? The biggest thing Bethesda fans want in a release is something stable enough to play at launch.

Arc

Banned
A Skyrim sized game in space sounds awesome.

Like others, I just wonder how they’ll structure their game. Will we bounce back and forth between planets that just have a settlement with surrounding wilderness, or will they actually try to sim whole planets, perhaps with a designed few towns, then procedural generation for the rest?

I feel like the former is far more likely. Could also explain it lore-wise as the planet not being fully settled yet.

Reactions: Grinchy

Arkam

I'm the Captain Now

After playing a lot of Ratchet & Clank it has me thinking about this game. How If this game doesnt have any space gameplay, how cool it would be to have going from one planet to the next in a one shot. In R&C it almost makes you think it will do it when you get in your ship and warp out. But it hits a quick cut away and cut back the other ship arriving. Would kill to have it one sequence. Launch, orbit, warp, orbit, descend. Would be dope! With unique worlds, the approach could be an experience un to its self.

Reactions: Kuranghi and Arc

Kadayi

Probable Replicant

Platforms
  1. PC
A Skyrim sized game in space sounds awesome.

Like others, I just wonder how they’ll structure their game. Will we bounce back and forth between planets that just have a settlement with surrounding wilderness, or will they actually try to sim whole planets, perhaps with a designed few towns, then procedural generation for the rest?

I feel like the former is far more likely. Could also explain it lore-wise as the planet not being fully settled yet.

I'd look to Outer Worlds as a likely format, though hopefully a lot more engaging.

Reactions: Arc

Kadayi

Probable Replicant

Platforms
  1. PC
How did that work?

Basically, it was 3-4 planets (and a space station or two) with a central settlement/spaceport and then the surrounding environs to explore in a Fallout/Skyrim style way with a bunch of related questing, some of which straddled locations and thus required a bit of back and forth between planets. However, there wasn't any actual space flight so much as you boarding your ship, picking where you wanted to go next and then arriving there. To be fair to Outer Worlds it was a AA title which even Obsidian readily acknowledged (hopefully the sequel will be a bit more robust). I'd love for something a bit more freeform Bethesda with Starfield where you could whip around the Galaxy like the Mandalorian, but I just think that from the technology perspective it would be an incredible challenge to come up with something that coupled environmental complexity with scale without recourse to procedural generation ala NMS, and that just isn't something I envisage the Teams behind Skyrim and Fallout getting into versus heavily curated environments. This is going to be an iteration of what's come before with what appears to be a much-improved creation engine.

Personally, I'm hoping for a fairly grounded game with hard sci-fi elements and less of the wackiness of their other IPs if I'm honest. Not that I don't expect for there to be humour. I just hope it's turned down some.

Reactions: Arc

Arkam

I'm the Captain Now

It better be big enough to keep people’s interest for a long ass time… cuz that’s how long we will be waiting for ES6. Saw that but today about how it’s in the “design phase”. So it’s not coming til the end of 2023 at least :/

Platforms
  1. PC
  2. Xbox
  3. Nintendo
Yeeeeeeahhh well people still play Skyrim not for its base game, but for it’s mod community.... I’m just saying...
Which is why I have no problem with Gambryo/Creation/Creation ll bring used and tweaked into perpetuity. The wild shit I see people come up with is why I still play Skyrim and Fallout 4 years later.

• Bacon
Reactions: and 3 others

Dacon

CROM
Our game is big, yes. You could say the biggest in the world.

We don't make them any other way. We make TREMENDOUS strides in the game industry, truly tremendous.