Thread: All things Disney & General Hollywood News Thread
I really like the prequels. I know there’s a lot of garbage there but a lot of it’s fun garbage, and it expanded the universe in a way I generally appreciated. Got quite a few good games out of that era too.

The Padme and Anakin stuff in episode 2 is awful but it’s funnier if you think about it from the point of view that he’s a socially maladjusted teenage weirdo and she is a politician and therefore almost certainly a sexual predator.

The prequels are so bad they’re good. The Disney stuff is just so bad, and it doesn’t look like it’s gonna get better anytime soon.

GDDhiK6WMAE6hgv

Leaks of the rejected and in work Ray movie script as well as panic over current directors hot takes.

WDW also pretty accurate on their rumors and leaks

Spoilers, its all trash

• Funny
Reactions: p_xavier
So the review embargo is up on Echo tonight right when it's released, always a good sign.

Looking forward to the hilarity from the reviews more than the show.

Imho the alien franchise was even before Disney in shambles. What was the last good alien movie? Imho it was 1 and 2 (though I think 1 shits all over 2). And after that nothing. Be it the alien vs predator movies or the Prometheus shit.

I mean Disney will make it even worse but alien was never good after 1 or 2.

For clarification. Just talking about the movies the games I don’t know shit about.

Imho the alien franchise was even before Disney in shambles. What was the last good alien movie? Imho it was 1 and 2 (though I think 1 shits all over 2). And after that nothing. Be it the alien vs predator movies or the Prometheus shit.

I mean Disney will make it even worse but alien was never good after 1 or 2.

For clarification. Just talking about the movies the games I don’t know shit about.

I thought the first Predator vs Alien movie was pretty good. The one from 2004. And aliens 3 wasn't that bad.

But from then on it got worst.

One of the reasons why Alien 1 resonates so well was caught in the game. The shear horror of knowing every dark corner a xenomorph could be hiding kept audiences on their toes. Which is why the alien isolation game did so well and the recent aliens dark descent game with its fog of war design.

I think the recent franchises have trivialized xenomorphs and until they somehow reinvent a way to make it as terrifying again would definitely put it up there.

I think a key to that is let the audience imaginations run wild.

I thought the first Predator vs Alien movie was pretty good. The one from 2004. And aliens 3 wasn't that bad.

But from then on it got worst.

One of the reasons why Alien 1 resonates so well was caught in the game. The shear horror of knowing every dark corner a xenomorph could be hiding kept audiences on their toes. Which is why the alien isolation game did so well and the recent aliens dark descent game with its fog of war design.

I think the recent franchises have trivialized xenomorphs and until they somehow reinvent a way to make it as terrifying again would definitely put it up there.

I think a key to that is let the audience imaginations run wild.

The fact you didn't actually see it until the end is the terror of it. These days they show the monster from the beginning. There is no suspense. Played all the cards.

100% agree with the last two posts. The feel of isolation especially in the first movie was amazing. That’s why the original the thing is so good to. You have this group of people who don’t know what they’re dealing with and they have to figure it out somehow who and what is decimating them one by one.

Thats why I personally think 1 is so much better than 2 which is more of a sci fi action flick than a sci fi horror movie.

And also agree @3 but it was already worse than 1 and 2.

Reactions: Yawnson
I find Alien and Aliens both equal in terms of quality. Both are different movies despite sharing the same premise, which speaks of the directors working on them. Ridley Scott mixed scifi with horror in Alien, while James Cameron combined scifi/horror mixed with some action in Aliens.

Personally, I give the nod to Aliens for having more likable characters and better pacing. And Paul Reiser's Carter Burke is one of the most underrated villains in scifi history. I wish though the franchise ended here and we weren't subjected to those godawful sequels.

I find Alien and Aliens both equal in terms of quality. Both are different movies despite sharing the same premise, which speaks of the directors working on them. Ridley Scott mixed scifi with horror in Alien, while James Cameron combined scifi/horror mixed with some action in Aliens.

Personally, I give the nod to Aliens for having more likable characters and better pacing. And Paul Reiser's Carter Burke is one of the most underrated villains in scifi history. I wish though the franchise ended here and we weren't subjected to those godawful sequels.

This.

Alien is an impeccable sci fi horror that does everything sparingly and with the minimum of flourishes to let the core great ideas shine through.

Aliens builds on those great ideas and layers on equally perfect complexity and character depth that elevates both movies to something unmatched by any other such movies, baring arguably terminator 1&2 (because James Cameron is fucking amazing).

Ripley is the best example.

Ripley does not massively stand out in Alien until the final act, and she is in many ways little more than a 1 noted hard nosed managerial type, that keeps a cool head and survives as much by luck as by pluck.

Aliens gives her all her complexity, all her depth, 90% of her character arc and growth, and turns her from a slightly unusual ‘final girl’ to the undisputed greatest sci fi action heroine in all of cinema, and she does so not by being written as a male character that’s played by an actress, but by being overtly feminine, taking that core of the nurturing, motherly, protective instinct that all normal women have, and channeling it into overcoming her fear and taking righteous vengeance on the monsters that killed her friends, took her life and family from her, and is endangering the new daughter she has bonded with.

Alien is a masterpiece of a haunted house ride. Aliens is just a masterpiece.

Alien 3 is absolutely on par with Alien 1 and 2, people are just butthurt that two characters they liked in 2 died before the 3rd even starts.

Alien 4 was also still a lot of fun.

Just give me Alien 5 before Sigourney Weaver dies, set on Earth, ending with either Earth being overrun by xenomorphs, Ripley becoming the xenomorph queen or her and humans actually defeating the xenomorphs. Just give me closure to Ripley's arc.

Alien 3 is absolutely on par with Alien 1 and 2, people are just butthurt that two characters they liked in 2 died before the 3rd even starts.

Alien 4 was also still a lot of fun.

Just give me Alien 5 before Sigourney Weaver dies, set on Earth, ending with either Earth being overrun by xenomorphs, Ripley becoming the xenomorph queen or her and humans actually defeating the xenomorphs. Just give me closure to Ripley's arc.

The directors cut of 3 is decent, but it was too much of a production hell mess to ever truly be good.

Also what you’re asking for already exists in the Dark Horse Aliens comics from 30 years ago.

It’s an alternate, and vastly better sequel series to Alien3 onwards that sees Newt and Hicks reuniting and joining a mission to the Aliens home world, a cult forming around the Aliens on Earth, the return of the Space Jockeys, the fall of Earth to the Aliens, a mad general trying to create a tame army of his own Aliens, and Ripley returning in the final arc to rebuild her family and give the aliens the good shoeing they deserve.

And after that, there’s about 100 different comics series set in the universe, that are mostly better than anything other than the first 2 movies.

There’s also a ‘what if’ style comic miniseries that’s a direct sequel to Alien Resurrection, “Aliens Vs Predator Vs The Terminator” that is exactly as bonkers as that sounds.

At some point I should do a thread going over the Dark Horse Alien comics in detail. It’s one of the richest, most consistently well written, varied and almost completely unknown sci fi universes in existence, up there with Warhammer 40K for richly deep and expansive Grim Dark Sci Fi, and more people should look into it.

This.

Alien is an impeccable sci fi horror that does everything sparingly and with the minimum of flourishes to let the core great ideas shine through.

Aliens builds on those great ideas and layers on equally perfect complexity and character depth that elevates both movies to something unmatched by any other such movies, baring arguably terminator 1&2 (because James Cameron is fucking amazing).

Ripley is the best example.

Ripley does not massively stand out in Alien until the final act, and she is in many ways little more than a 1 noted hard nosed managerial type, that keeps a cool head and survives as much by luck as by pluck.

Aliens gives her all her complexity, all her depth, 90% of her character arc and growth, and turns her from a slightly unusual ‘final girl’ to the undisputed greatest sci fi action heroine in all of cinema, and she does so not by being written as a male character that’s played by an actress, but by being overtly feminine, taking that core of the nurturing, motherly, protective instinct that all normal women have, and channeling it into overcoming her fear and taking righteous vengeance on the monsters that killed her friends, took her life and family from her, and is endangering the new daughter she has bonded with.

Alien is a masterpiece of a haunted house ride. Aliens is just a masterpiece.
This. Ridley Scott's masterful direction kept us in the dark as to who was going to survive in the end of Alien. I think I remember reading somewhere that the filmmakers only decided Ripley would be the survivor once they cast Sigourney Weaver.

And James Cameron builds on that to turn Ripley into the main character of the sequel. After the disastrous first incursion by the Colonial Marines which leaves most of them dead, she's the one leading them not because of main character syndrome, but because her experience from the previous movie makes her the only logical choice.

• 100%
Reactions: Stilton Disco
The directors cut of 3 is decent, but it was too much of a production hell mess to ever truly be good.

Also what you’re asking for already exists in the Dark Horse Aliens comics from 30 years ago.

It’s an alternate, and vastly better sequel series to Alien3 onwards that sees Newt and Hicks reuniting and joining a mission to the Aliens home world, a cult forming around the Aliens on Earth, the return of the Space Jockeys, the fall of Earth to the Aliens, a mad general trying to create a tame army of his own Aliens, and Ripley returning in the final arc to rebuild her family and give the aliens the good shoeing they deserve.

And after that, there’s about 100 different comics series set in the universe, that are mostly better than anything other than the first 2 movies.

There’s also a ‘what if’ style comic miniseries that’s a direct sequel to Alien Resurrection, “Aliens Vs Predator Vs The Terminator” that is exactly as bonkers as that sounds.

At some point I should do a thread going over the Dark Horse Alien comics in detail. It’s one of the richest, most consistently well written, varied and almost completely unknown sci fi universes in existence, up there with Warhammer 40K for richly deep and expansive Grim Dark Sci Fi, and more people should look into it.
What's Dark Horse comics doing nowadays? I'd be sorry to see such a great company go the way of many comic publishers in today's woke era.

Oh, and the comics are also where the plot of Aliens be Predator is lifted from, as well as the Predalien from Requiem.

Except the comics are vastly, VASTLY better, and the main Heroine, Machiko Naguchi, is up there with Ripley as one of the best Sci Fi heroines in fiction, and goes full native with the Predators after the first book.

yYKk8aY.jpg

What's Dark Horse comics doing nowadays? I'd be sorry to see such a great company go the way of many comic publishers in today's woke era.

Yeah, sadly went the way of all big publishers. Got woke, purged the problematic talented white male creators, lost sales like a leaky bucket, and got bought out by the Embracer group in 2021.

I believe they make Star Wars comics for Disney now, that are worse rubbish than the live action, a few original diversity comics that no one reads, and publish manga.

Sad.

• Vomit
Reactions: GreyHorace
Yeah, sadly went the way of all big publishers. Got woke, purged the problematic talented white male creators, lost sales like a leaky bucket, and got bought out by the Embracer group in 2021.

I believe they make Star Wars comics for Disney now, that are worse rubbish than the live action, a few original diversity comics that no one reads, and publish manga.

Sad.
Man that fucking sucks. And looking at their website their manga releases are miniscule compared to before. Obviously Berserk is the only thing of note. And their regular comic releases aren't going to keep them afloat.

• This tbh

I don't have every Dark Horse Alien release, but I do have quite a bit. I used to want someone to tap into that for movie and series ideas, now I want no one to pay attention until intersectionality gets laughed off the planet.

• 100%
Aliens is like Terminator.
First one is a horror slasher/sci fi slasher.
Second one is a great action sequel that just ups the anti
3rd is devisive and looked down outside of a small group of fans. A disappointment.
Everything else is crap trying to recapture lightning in a bottle and expanding on things we didnt really need to know about.
They will keep milking these 2 franchises until the end of time.

Aliens is like Terminator.
First one is a horror slasher/sci fi slasher.
Second one is a great action sequel that just ups the anti
3rd is devisive and looked down outside of a small group of fans. A disappointment.
Everything else is crap trying to recapture lightning in a bottle and expanding on things we didnt really need to know about.
They will keep milking these 2 franchises until the end of time.

So what your saying is, it is good Valve cannot count to 3.

Talking about Dark Horse Aliens meant I dug out my Omnibus books again, and going back to what I said about it having the most underrated Grim Dark Sci Fi universe out there, on a par with 40K, well at the back of the first AvP book there’s a one shot comic called The Web, which flat out has both an Adeptus Mechanicus Arch Magus, complete with hideous, giant insectoid cyborg body modification, and innocent people getting turned into floating servo skulls.

7UVxClW.jpg

Well I know what I’m doing a complete rereading of this week now.

Oh, and the comics are also where the plot of Aliens be Predator is lifted from, as well as the Predalien from Requiem.

Except the comics are vastly, VASTLY better, and the main Heroine, Machiko Naguchi, is up there with Ripley as one of the best Sci Fi heroines in fiction, and goes full native with the Predators after the first book.

Here’s a link for the entire A VS P TPB series from DarkHorse

I refuse to buy the new woke garbage and mostly read older series before they got brain rot , If good I buy the books if I can find them

Fucking hell. Disney how can you fuck up aliens

This just seems so stupid.
A new audience would have no familiarity or loyalty to your franchise/brand so why would you even bother?
Just create a new IP.

Basically the only continuity is going to be the odd pieces of set design here and there, the look of the xenomorph and the font used on the posters. Why even bother?

Its the same old issue with Marvel and Star Wars. The concept seems to be "let's make a Marvel or Star Wars movie but NOT for the fans".

The annoying thing then, as a fan, is that there's only so many times you will check out their new content before thinking "fuck it".

The new woman directing Star Wars, I think she probably doesn't even like or would ever even watch Star Wars. That kinda sucks that they would put someone like that in charge of the next movie.

There seems to be a really petty and mean aspect to it all too. Like we are supposed to celebrate the fact that Star Wars has been taken away from the old fans and sort of lazily given to "everyone".

I think the dream scenario for Disney is to cultivate a fan base that says "I actually hate the Star Wars originals and really think Avengers Assemble is a lame ass movie but OMG I just absolutely love Rey and Echo and Ms Marvel and Reeva is by far the best Star Wars villain."

The true geek culture has basically moved on at this point but everywhere it kind of finds a foothold you will see the SJWs trying to creep in. What's that you're playing? "Dark Souls?" And is it inclusive, because it fucking better be!!"

Where they lose influence entirely you see a lot of aggression even from respected people. Look at the nonsense aimed at Kingdom Come or Colin from Sacred Symbols or the shit that guys who just want to make indie comics need to put up with.